Fox Sports 1 Drone Testing

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 9:03am
You may have seen the sneak peeks of Fox Sports 1 doing some drone testing in Lucas Oil stadium last week (see below).

They brought out a bunch of high-end octo-copters to put to work.

Now there's also some impressive finished footage from the shoot, which you can see in the press release below.

FOX SPORTS AGGRESSIVELY PURSUES DRONE CAMERA USAGE AT LIVE EVENTS

HeliVideo Productions Shows Off Capabilities Prior to Feld Motor Sports-Produced Monster Energy Supercross Race

FOX Sports, Feld Motor Sports® and HeliVideo Productions, a company providing FAA-approved cinematography for television and film, came together at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Friday to get a serious look at some of the possibilities surrounding rapidly developing drone camera technology.

Testing the use of multiple live-event drone cameras for more than an hour, with top-level Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, riders on the closed indoor dirt course, everyone involved got an impressive sneak peek at the potential future of sports television.

“There is no question we are looking into ways to incorporate this next-level technology into a wide variety of our sports properties,” said Eric Shanks, FOX Sports President, COO & Executive Producer. “We chose to run this live-event simulation with our friends at Feld Motor Sports because both companies share a passion for being on the cutting edge … always looking for what’s next.

“While certainly not limited to use in motor sports, capturing the speed and on-track aggressive competition of Monster Energy Supercross from new and unique angles with multiple drones in operation at the same time was a great place to start,’ Shanks added. “We’re thrilled with what we learned from this live-event simulation, and we are excited to see where it takes us next.”

Company owner, Eric Austin, and his team from HeliVideo Productions operated three drones simultaneously, tracking up to five motorcycles as they maneuvered the supercross track inside Lucas Oil Stadium. Footage collected during the simulation aired Saturday as part of Monster Energy Supercross live coverage broadcast on multiple FOX Sports platforms.

“We proved today that drones are not only going to be an enhancement in our production toolkit but they are poised and ready to move into the spotlight of total event production,” said Brad Cheney, Director of Technical Operations for FOX Sports. “The capabilities we saw today will open up new and more compelling images of the event with little to no impact on the in-stadium experience. The control of movement of these devices was faster and more agile than we expected to see in such a dynamic environment as supercross, with bikes running around at high speeds, reaching incredible heights. We look forward to continuing our quest to place drones into all our producers’ hands.”

It marked the second collaboration between FOX Sports and Feld Motor Sports this year, as Feld added the award-winning SPIDERCAM to an already robust lineup of cameras covering the fast-moving, high-flying racing series. With 14 manned cameras, including two high-speed X-MO cameras, two robotic cameras, a jib, two point-of-view cameras and select “blimp-view” cameras already in place, the flexible control of SPIDERCAM, flying at speeds of up to eight meters-per-second, enables spectacular images, giving the audience a never-before-seen perspective and a feeling of being part of the race.

“Drone camera technology is an outstanding option for the enhanced Monster Energy Supercross television production,” said Ken Hudgens, COO, Feld Motor Sports. “We will continue to work with Eric Shanks and the entire FOX Sports team to push the limit on cutting-edge television technology and testing the drone cameras is another big step for the sport.”

FOX Sports has a long history of incorporating production innovations in live event broadcasts, including the FOX Box, First and 10 Line, FOX Diamond Cams, Sounds of the Game, FOXTrax, the Hot Spot thermal camera and the Glowing Puck.

|
Hut
3/18/2015 10:00am
Very cool!
I wonder how many people operate one camera/drone?
hvaughn88
3/18/2015 10:01am
That's gonna allow for some seriously awesome footage. Just hope the guys don't let em get away from them, haha. Drone to the face in the middle of the whoops or a rhythm section could have some bad results.
Hattica77
3/18/2015 10:04am
When did Dan Bilzerian start shooting for FS1? (3rd photo from top)
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/18/2015 10:06am
Hattica77 wrote:
When did Dan Bilzerian start shooting for FS1? (3rd photo from top)
Ha! And where's the woman stroking his beard?

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/18/2015 10:07am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 10:26am
Hut wrote:
Very cool!
I wonder how many people operate one camera/drone?
I believe it's usually a two-person deal. One to concentrate on flying, while another handles the pan/tilt on the camera.
philG
3/18/2015 10:10am
im sorry... but no . While using drones for outdoor footage is ok to a point, indoor in a stadium is just an accident waiting to happen. I wonder what they weigh, and what insurance cover they have.

Just show me the racing , and stop with the gimmicks already... Spider Cam was useless because nobody can tell who anyone is , especially those in the booth, all the races i saw , Ralph and the guys only knew who took the holeshot from the live timing.

Like selfie sticks.. just because you can do something , doesnt mean you should.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/18/2015 10:24am
I look at it as a cool experiment, but don't really expect to see it used for more than some isolated (and very specific) shots. Behind the gate and following riders down a start straight? That could be cool.

Around riders or above a crowd during a race? I'd doubt it.
Hut
3/18/2015 10:27am
philG wrote:
im sorry... but no . While using drones for outdoor footage is ok to a point, indoor in a stadium is just an accident waiting to...
im sorry... but no . While using drones for outdoor footage is ok to a point, indoor in a stadium is just an accident waiting to happen. I wonder what they weigh, and what insurance cover they have.

Just show me the racing , and stop with the gimmicks already... Spider Cam was useless because nobody can tell who anyone is , especially those in the booth, all the races i saw , Ralph and the guys only knew who took the holeshot from the live timing.

Like selfie sticks.. just because you can do something , doesnt mean you should.

They should just do it like the mxgp coverage. Blink
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/18/2015 10:47am
You can have all the FAA licensed pilots you want...the first time one of those lands on a fan, or a rider takes one to the face over a triple...it'll be over. The lawsuit would be enormous.
grunkster
3/18/2015 10:48am
how does one go about getting an FAA "pilots license" for these drones?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
3/18/2015 10:55am
First thought seeing the title was that the FIM was drug testing drones..Laughing

I get it now..
TeamGreen
3/18/2015 10:57am
The higher-end drones have max & min altitude safety settings, auto-home (returns to it's "home" position when there's loss of signal or some other malfunction), proximity sensors (in regards to other drones or objects in their path) & other hi-tech safety features.

These things offer infinite camera placement options.

I'm all for it.
Seamorbutts
3/18/2015 11:01am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 12:58pm
I've owned several Multirotors (thats what they're called in the rc world, not drones). There are always a chance for an outside source potentially interfering with the onboard electronics. I've lost some high dollar multirotors with some high dollar fpv equipment on board. There is also the fact that you can only keep them in the air for 8 to 25 minutes (dependent on which mutlirotor you have and the gear used). It would be "experiment over" the first time one of those that size had a malfunction straight into the stands. So giving what I've experienced first hand, this is not such a good idea in my opinion.
TeamGreen
3/18/2015 11:02am
grunkster wrote:
how does one go about getting an FAA "pilots license" for these drones?
"FOX Sports, Feld Motor Sports® and HeliVideo Productions, a company providing FAA-approved cinematography for television and film, came together at Lucas Oil Stadium in India..."

Using Drones for commercial operation requires FAA permitting...which is still a very grey area that's "under development". It's not a pilots license.

I was just flying a "nano-drone" at Chaney Ranch on Sunday.
Bultaco
3/18/2015 11:39am
TeamGreen wrote:
The higher-end drones have max & min altitude safety settings, auto-home (returns to it's "home" position when there's loss of signal or some other malfunction), proximity...
The higher-end drones have max & min altitude safety settings, auto-home (returns to it's "home" position when there's loss of signal or some other malfunction), proximity sensors (in regards to other drones or objects in their path) & other hi-tech safety features.

I'm all for it.
Yes!
3/18/2015 12:02pm
I only know about this because I've been writing about it, but FAA has rules in place for drones.

As they are getting more popular they are developing new rules- taking comment on it right now.
The current rules have limits about operating them around people. It appears that the company here got an exemption from FAA to do this:
http://www.sfvbj.com/news/2015/feb/04/helinet-aviation-operate-film-dro…

They have only granted 40-some exemptions to the drone rules.

Tbteam
3/18/2015 12:17pm
Great for the nationals. Not so much indoors.
TeamGreen
3/18/2015 12:22pm
Tbteam wrote:
They work fine indoors.

Go ask the NSA
dean122
3/18/2015 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 12:41pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The higher-end drones have max & min altitude safety settings, auto-home (returns to it's "home" position when there's loss of signal or some other malfunction), proximity...

I'm all for it.
Bultaco wrote:
Yes!
I'm a pessimistic no. We're not asking if, but when an accident is going to occur. It doesn't matter how many sensors and electronic safety features it has, electronics are not bullet proof and RC is prone to interference, intentional or otherwise.

You have a 20+ lb multirotor with 8 high velocity blades spinning simultaneous that could end up in someone's face. With bikes going as fast and jumping as high as they are, I don't think it's a good idea.

Sure it's revolutionary and you can capture some really cool footage with these things in different settings, but SX not so much. As it's said above, just because we can do it, doesn't mean we should.
Tracktor
3/18/2015 12:51pm
Tbteam wrote:
After flying mine into the roof of the local AX track I may agree. Of course, mine is an "older" version with no GPS assist indoors. All I lost was a couple of props which isn't anything new...................

On a side note - A local track PIR that has a big race every year and we race a series at just banned UAV's for commercial use. I shot with mine quite a bit there over the last year but just for personal stuff...............
3/18/2015 12:53pm
It's also currently illegal to pilot a drone for commercial use without an exemption.
So anybody shooting moto vid for profit with a drone is doing so illegally. They are monitoring youtube uploads to catch people, and sending them desist letters.
Seamorbutts
3/18/2015 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 1:00pm
It's also currently illegal to pilot a drone for commercial use without an exemption. So anybody shooting moto vid for profit with a drone is doing...
It's also currently illegal to pilot a drone for commercial use without an exemption.
So anybody shooting moto vid for profit with a drone is doing so illegally. They are monitoring youtube uploads to catch people, and sending them desist letters.
Correct, the gov always has to have a piece of the pie one way or another. Stupid asses...
HenryA
3/18/2015 1:02pm
Holy.....What's the price tag on one of those? Blink
Atmos
3/18/2015 1:48pm
Seems like these drones would be a HUGE liability. Hope they have good insurance.
IWreckALot
3/18/2015 1:54pm
What's to keep the spider cam from catching comparable shots to the octocopter?

I agree with GuyB that it'll be best used with select shots. I think it would be bad ass to catch a moving shot down the start straight.
3/18/2015 2:24pm
We have a couple, but yesterday I saw some guy flying a totally silent drone(at least from about 50-60 feet away)

It was thin and oblong oval shaped with blinking lights just like a UFO. No propeller noise or whine. He was flying it around, upside down, aileron rolls you name it.

I should have walked over but the old lady was in a hurry to leave the store and head home.
It was probably about 18 inches long by maybe 12 wide.

3/18/2015 2:52pm
There's give or take 5,000 airplanes in the sky over us right now. When an airplane comes down, it's a bomb and yet, we're all pretty comfortable with it.

Yet, I also agree a supercross stadium is too tight of a place for a drone. There's camera stations in the stadium seats that give us great perspectives, what we're really gaining here is the follow-on, panning dynamic of a drone. Remember the first time you saw the Daytona SX "Rhino" cam? Blew my mind....but i'd give it up for safety. I could be persuaded the other way though...im waffling.

A friend of mine wrote up a business plan to start our own drone company for real estate and event/wedding photography but the landscape legally, on drone use is a big shit storm waiting to erupt.

-Peeping toms
-Smuggling drugs over the CA/Mexico Border
-Amazon wanting to use drones to deliver packages

I think the FAA is going to completely lock it down to "closed course" flying only or similar only within wide open spaces as defined by them...just think riding a dirt bike in CA; either at a closed course track or so far away from everyone, you could wad-up and the coyotes will eat you before help arrives...

Doug

Post a reply to: Fox Sports 1 Drone Testing

The Latest