? For you Texas mx'ers from Austin area...

Moto88
For those who have ridden the CA tracks like Perris, Glen Helen, LACR, Zaca, Piru, how do the tracks in your area like ADV, Murphy's, Cycle ranch, Red rock, (3 palms, river valley) compare in general? How does the dirt compare to CA? I know you won't say much about private tracks, but are there a fair amount of private tracks in the Austin area or has the county shut them all down? Any surrounding county open to small tracks built on your own property? Hays county? Thanks in advance for your input.

|
dmm698
9/26/2016 5:52am
i havent ridden in california but have seen pictures and read the hard pack complaints ect. Texas has some of the best dirt I have ever ridden. 3 Palms is rather sandy, but river valley and a lot of the tracks around DFW have red clay sand mix. You know, the kind of dirt you want at your wedding...
kkawboy14
9/26/2016 5:55am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2016 5:56am
I would say the tracks here are about the same dirt wise.

Oh and there are a bunch of In and Out burgers here now in case you miss cali Smile
CamP
9/26/2016 7:24am
My friend owns River Valley. He searched for property with the best dirt for almost 10 years before he found good dirt, with ample water, in the right location. Needless to say, you'll be hard pressed to find any track in California with better dirt.
JAFO92
9/26/2016 7:32am
All our tracks suck and Texas is full.

Wink

The Shop

9/26/2016 8:02am
austins two "primary" tracks arent the Greatest dirt.

advmx has done great things with terrible base dirt but its similar to some of the cali tracks. the big difference is weak rider turn out and a mildly deep prep to start the day because the local riding community seems to be allergic to ruts and bumps.

Murphy mx is the second primary track. it has a beautiful property, and fairly good base dirt. However it gets prepped relatively shallow as well on average for the base riding community. Most of the weekend warriors dont care for bumps or ruts.

sometimes after a good rain, adv and murphys mx are incredible. Those are the two primary tracks.

summer time also makes it impossible to water enough. you could flood it at all week... but that wouldnt be cost effective.

red rock is semi private. it has great dirt if you like sand. its hosted riders like tomac, roczen, shorty, and a host of other pros at times for national season training.

It is also recieves the least rider turn out, its "too tough" for the core crew at adv or murphies. Its really not that hard, but has some beautifully shapped and sized jumps that look intimidating when coupled with the sand. its a big track and base of sand makes summer watering nearly impossible too. it can be somewhat sloppy in early am only to be dry early afternoon due to the brutal heat and sand base. It can be ridden dry no issue though... has good dirt.

after huge rains red rock is amazing. mositure gets down 5-7 feet and it becomes like southwick.

cycle ranch in south san antonio (floresville) is rarely open anymore. it is an awesome place as well. when you understand the dirt (sandy) and understand that its always slick and not going to rut... you can appreciate the track.

dallas area has great tracks, houston has a couple.

Post a reply to: ? For you Texas mx'ers from Austin area...

The Latest