For all the Two stroke non believers

mxb2
11/27/2010 1:53pm
SwapperMX wrote:
For everyone who has asked how many races the two stroke has won now that they have changed the rules to allow 250 two strokes to...
For everyone who has asked how many races the two stroke has won now that they have changed the rules to allow 250 two strokes to compete in the lites class here in Australia, and for everyone that thinks the two stroke is no longer competitive, Robbie Marshall won his heat race at the Sixth round of the Australian Super X. He beat a bunch of top Australian factory riders, including Matt Moss, Ryan Marmont and Lawson Bopping, and also had the fastest finishing time of both the heats, giving him the top qualifying position and first gate pick.

Another interesting fact, was that the crowd was going crazy cheering for him and they desperately wanted to see him win on the two stroke. Robbie held his YZ 250 flat out and didn't disappoint, much to the delight of the crowd. He also got plenty of TV coverage after his heat race win. A great night for Robbie, and all the two stroke fans !!

Just the same dudes who think a ford crown vic is better than a lexus! Don t wanna change.
DirtDgr
11/27/2010 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 2:22pm
SwapperMX wrote:
For everyone who has asked how many races the two stroke has won now that they have changed the rules to allow 250 two strokes to...
For everyone who has asked how many races the two stroke has won now that they have changed the rules to allow 250 two strokes to compete in the lites class here in Australia, and for everyone that thinks the two stroke is no longer competitive, Robbie Marshall won his heat race at the Sixth round of the Australian Super X. He beat a bunch of top Australian factory riders, including Matt Moss, Ryan Marmont and Lawson Bopping, and also had the fastest finishing time of both the heats, giving him the top qualifying position and first gate pick.

Another interesting fact, was that the crowd was going crazy cheering for him and they desperately wanted to see him win on the two stroke. Robbie held his YZ 250 flat out and didn't disappoint, much to the delight of the crowd. He also got plenty of TV coverage after his heat race win. A great night for Robbie, and all the two stroke fans !!

mxb2 wrote:
Just the same dudes who think a ford crown vic is better than a lexus! Don t wanna change.
Not everyone can afford a Lexus!

KTM 450 SXF $8799.00

KTM 250 SX $6699.00

I can race the whole year, rebuild my top end, and run a new set of new Dunlops with the extra 2 grand easily.

team186
11/27/2010 2:31pm
I got a 2010 KTM 250SX. My Kid hates it and wants another 250F. As much as I want him to like them (2Ts), he says he just feels better on a thumper. His times are about the same but he says he feels out of control on the two stroke....I rode it some, but prefer my YZ125.

The 2010 KTM is for sale. $4500 will take it home, very clean.

team186@insightbb.com
mxb2
11/27/2010 2:37pm
SwapperMX wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
DirtDgr wrote:
Not everyone can afford a Lexus! KTM 450 SXF $8799.00 KTM 250 SX $6699.00 I can race the whole year, rebuild my top end, and run...
Not everyone can afford a Lexus!

KTM 450 SXF $8799.00

KTM 250 SX $6699.00

I can race the whole year, rebuild my top end, and run a new set of new Dunlops with the extra 2 grand easily.

I agree not everyone has money too get a lexus or a new bike!, And its great people are riding dirt bikes, but its the constant get a 2 stroke threads, and they go out and buy a used 2 stroke, I apllaud ktm for at least making current changes, yamaha could sell some more 2 strokes if they would upgrade some components. I love both types of bikes, No comparison in upgrades between the 2, Yamaha $6700 for a bike with BNG, and everyone that demands 2 strokes should by a 2 stroke new ! Most riders won t buy a new bike that has nt changed in 5 years, so they have other options, ktm,tm ,gas gas, maico etc! I m not sure what the price of those bikes are, other than the ktm. Then you have to make sure you can get parts. The ama racing rule should not affectthe decision of a local guy buying a new bike! Speak with your wallet or keep buying used 2 strokes. That being said i hope to ride sunday, and it will be on a rmz and a yz 2 stroke. Be safe !

The Shop

RaceFace
11/27/2010 2:47pm
newmann wrote:
You have a FEW mfgs. that no longer IMPORT 2 strokes to the US. And that is by their choice. People quit buying the 2 strokes...
You have a FEW mfgs. that no longer IMPORT 2 strokes to the US. And that is by their choice. People quit buying the 2 strokes because the rules were changed to make the 2 strokes obsolete, less competitive and less desirable. Had the displacement advantage been less, the 2 strokes wouldn't have been pitched to the side as quickly as they were. When the new wore off the 4 stroke fad and all the 250F scatterbombs started going off( or in a more "fair" displacement scenario, the 175F scatterbombs) more and more people would have migrated back to the simple little 125's. But take all those 125's away and don't give anyone a choice.....

Now that not enough people are buying the 4-strokes, what are they going to do? Quit making them too?

I had to stop by the local Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer the other day and all they had on the floor at Christmas time was a KX450F and a YZ250F. That's it as far as motocross bikes were concerned. I asked one of the salesmen where the YZ125's were and he walks over and starts telling me all about it and its "features" while standing over and pointing at the TTR125. I just chuckled and walked away. It's a sad sad state of moto here in the US.
Interestingly, the KTM 350 is probably the most anticipated bike in a long time and it is completely at a displacement disadvantage. The KTM 350 will be well supported by sales. How does that happen? Marketing! People are suckers for the newest and latest ANYTHING. Linkageless suspension? I need that! Wait, now they say links are in! Gimme the links! People think they need the latest and greatest to shave that one second off their lap times. Now smart people are coming back to 2 strokes and out-smarting the system by buying used. That will only work as long as there are good used 2 strokes. Where are those used ones going to come from in say, 5 or 10 years?
Huckster
11/27/2010 2:54pm
I just bought a 06 RM 250 and cant wait to ride it...I have lots of fun riding my 450 so i am not exactly sure how this will be "more fun" but I bought into the hype and went out and got one....we shall see....
RaceFace
11/27/2010 3:00pm
mxcrayz27 wrote:
You mentioned that the AMA was going to nix DC for including them... Why would an AMA official have ties to the OEMs? He should make...
You mentioned that the AMA was going to nix DC for including them...

Why would an AMA official have ties to the OEMs? He should make his decisions on the health of the sport, not the favor of the OEMS ( I suppose you mean the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha).
Representatives from the manufacturers are involved to ensure that their interests are taken care of. It wouldn't be wise for a series to piss off the manufacturers that race in it. The end result could be an opening for a new series which the manufacturers WOULD choose to support instead. Think of all the tracks that would love to be included in a national schedule. In the NFL, representatives of teams sit on the rules committee, for similar purposes.

Hank_Thrill
11/27/2010 3:34pm
Four strokes are good. They have made it easier for beginners to go fast. They have also skyrocketed the injury rate of the sport, which makes it more dangerous and more X-TREME!!!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/27/2010 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 5:34pm

Ah, I see what you guys have been smokin'...

(Today at A Day In The Dirt)
11/27/2010 6:10pm
GuyB wrote:
Ah, I see what you guys have been smokin'...(Today at A Day In The Dirt)

I bet the smell was amazing... Braaaap!
Outsider
11/27/2010 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 8:12pm
I GOT HURT!!! Sad

Motodude
11/27/2010 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 7:54pm
If the OEM's want to survive the future moto market they'll have to produce 2 smokers. KTM have lapped them already for 2011 in this area.
Propaganda!
11/27/2010 8:34pm
Another thing that lets smart people buy used 2 strokes instead of feeling that it's absolutely essential to buy new is that you can buy a good used 2 stroke with confidence. You can get your used bike and take care of it and enjoy it like you would expect to be able to.

There would be more of a used FOOPER market, and maybe less of an "At cost or below!" LEFTOVER FOOPER market, if the unreliable used FOOPERS didn't regularly shit the bed on so many people... People don't buy them used much because they've learned the hard way and they know better. We two stroke fans can traffic in used machinery because we're dealing with superior machinery. I know that fact is frustrating to someone who's in the middle of his term on a FOOPER loan, but that's just too bad.

If you want a bike that needs an hour meter, great..... Good for you! Smile But that sounds like a bit of a drag to me, and a lot of other people too...

kx100getter
11/27/2010 9:03pm
What exactly gives 4t's and advantage over 2t's? Is it the displacement difference or what? (for example a 125 vs. 250f)
race
11/27/2010 11:25pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 11:27pm
SwapperMX wrote:

Once again, It is a 'devolution'. Get it right Jacko.

In common parlance, "devolution", "de-evolution", or backward evolution is the notion that a species can change into a more "primitive" form. It is associated with the idea that evolution is supposed to make species more advanced, and that some modern species have lost functions or complexity and seem to be degenerate forms of their ancestors.

That would be you and your valve munching, overweight, over-priced, under-reliable four-stroke. Laughing

DirtDgr
11/28/2010 8:41am
GuyB wrote:

Thats right!

In thirty years we'll see if you can fire up a 2010 four stroke and race it with little work like I did last week in Wilseyville, Ca on the 1980 YZ465!

DirtDgr
11/28/2010 8:48am
What exactly gives 4t's and advantage over 2t's? Is it the displacement difference or what? (for example a 125 vs. 250f)
Power to the ground!

They hook up when the two stroke is spinning.
SwampDonkey
11/28/2010 9:17am
I don't see how anyone can think the 250 two stroke doesn't have the advantage. You honestly believe that factory 250f and a factory 250 two stroke, the 250f is the better faster bike? Come on guys
bama205
11/28/2010 9:48am
every time i ride my 250 i have so much fun, i dont even want to look at my 450... then i go ride my 450 and i remember why i got one
CR250Rider
11/28/2010 11:16am
GuyB wrote:

that's awesome !
Propaganda!
11/28/2010 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2010 3:48pm
A lot a the technical jewelry that the 4 strokes are bursting with these days is only there because a patch was required. Something didn't work right, or had very weak and tempermental functionality, so they tried to fix the problem with some type of Rube Goldberg computer controlled comedy of errors.

The 4 strokes were unwilling to start, stalled as you tried to coax them off idle, and oftentimes stalled out if you used the clutch. So now you have electric fuel pumps and fuel injection and all sorts of other crap riding around on your bike with you to try to fix that, but it still sucks and the whole EFI thing is apparently a "Work in progress". So far it seems like people say it takes away from the overall power of the bike, limits over rev, makes the bikes hyper active off the very bottom and just generally sounds like it sucks. Plus, the whole spagetti bowl of wires, motors, throttle bodies, and assorted garbage has yet to fix the stalling problem, and has only resulted in cartoonishly bad machinery like the 4 stroke bikes at the X games with their idle speeds turned up to like 3500RPM just to try to prevent stalling. Oh and the throttle response still only dreams of being as good as what you get naturally with a 2 stroke through a simple, normally aspirated carburator. Gravity is the fuel pump and it works every time.

I guess we 2 strokes could have a packet of wires coming out of the gear box and a specially integrated EFI pumper-o-meter with an ignition map spark plug oxygen sensing electic eye watching for the exhaust gas beam breaker rev calculator.... Oh and a coolant catch tank that plugs into your laptop so a guy at the track can access the cooling curve of the antifreeze....

But a two stroke gets instant throttle response, starts instantly, and doesn't stall, and it happens without all that junk so the junk's not necessary... They can keep that whole huge pile of crap and no one misses it.

Why encrust a simple system that works in a shell of unecessary crap?

A 4 stroke isn't a more advanced machine, it's just more complicated because it's bristling with crutches.

Flatliner
11/28/2010 3:23pm
I don't see how anyone can think the 250 two stroke doesn't have the advantage. You honestly believe that factory 250f and a factory 250 two...
I don't see how anyone can think the 250 two stroke doesn't have the advantage. You honestly believe that factory 250f and a factory 250 two stroke, the 250f is the better faster bike? Come on guys
So if that sounds so outlandish to you, why was it fair to stick a bike with double the displacement in the 125 class.
kx100getter
11/28/2010 3:26pm
Are four-strokes only faster because they have more displacement?
`ol Ger
11/28/2010 3:37pm
I don't see how anyone can think the 250 two stroke doesn't have the advantage. You honestly believe that factory 250f and a factory 250 two...
Flatliner wrote:
So if that sounds so outlandish to you, why was it fair to stick a bike with double the displacement in the 125 class.
It wasn't, and Todd Jendro admitted later that they made a mistake!

ok. Fix the mistake.
Devil1nNj
11/28/2010 3:46pm
SwapperMX wrote:

Imagine how this kid would have done on a competitive bike??? His sponsors are chippin in as we speak, with his flash of brilliance. hahahah
SwapperMX
11/28/2010 3:50pm
Are four-strokes only faster because they have more displacement?
This guy has only been here five minutes, has asked some of the dumbest questions I have ever seen, but in reality is a genius!!!

Hey KX100getter - Go to the head of the class !!
kx100getter
11/28/2010 4:53pm
Well,

I always here about how the four strokes are easier to go fast on than 2-strokes. Thought someone could kind of explain to me why this is, but I guess not....

You don't need to be a smart alec
newmann
11/28/2010 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2010 5:22pm
Well, I always here about how the four strokes are easier to go fast on than 2-strokes. Thought someone could kind of explain to me why...
Well,

I always here about how the four strokes are easier to go fast on than 2-strokes. Thought someone could kind of explain to me why this is, but I guess not....

2 stroke engine fires and makes power every time the piston goes up. Always making power and you'll tend to steer the bike with the rear wheel quite a bit.

4 stroke makes power every other time the piston goes up. Every other stroke the piston goes to top dead center is an exhaust stroke, therefore producing no power. This keeps the front wheel planted and you tend to steer with the front wheel. Tends to make it easier to go fast on when you are allowed a huge displacement advantage.....like twice the displacement. Also makes you a lazy rider, so stick with your KX100 untl you move up to a 125 or 150 2 stroke. The four stroke has probably two hundred more parts in it therefore making it more prone to failure and more complicated for the do it yourselfer to work on.

Of course, no bias here.Smile
newmann
11/28/2010 5:35pm
Well, I always here about how the four strokes are easier to go fast on than 2-strokes. Thought someone could kind of explain to me why...
Well,

When I was 11 years old, I could put a new set of rings in my Yamaha 80. As a young person, which of these would you rather work on yourself at home? This 2 stroke engine...

************************************************************************************************

or would you rather work on this 4 stroke engine?

Post a reply to: For all the Two stroke non believers

The Latest