For all the Two stroke non believers

SwapperMX
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:24am
For everyone who has asked how many races the two stroke has won now that they have changed the rules to allow 250 two strokes to compete in the lites class here in Australia, and for everyone that thinks the two stroke is no longer competitive, Robbie Marshall won his heat race at the Sixth round of the Australian Super X. He beat a bunch of top Australian factory riders, including Matt Moss, Ryan Marmont and Lawson Bopping, and also had the fastest finishing time of both the heats, giving him the top qualifying position and first gate pick.

Another interesting fact, was that the crowd was going crazy cheering for him and they desperately wanted to see him win on the two stroke. Robbie held his YZ 250 flat out and didn't disappoint, much to the delight of the crowd. He also got plenty of TV coverage after his heat race win. A great night for Robbie, and all the two stroke fans !!

|
Tbteam
11/27/2010 4:38am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 4:38am
And for one brief moment, all is right in the world.

Good ride, Robbie!
DAYKIN17
11/27/2010 5:21am
Tbteam wrote:

Good ride, Robbie!
x10
SwapperMX
11/27/2010 5:23am
Tbteam wrote:

Good ride, Robbie!
Ahhh, Yes it was.

I could not have said it better myself.

Thanks !!
wow123
11/27/2010 5:25am
finished 7th

well out in the last 10 race at 7th

good stuff

The Shop

newmann
11/27/2010 6:59am
And the crowd went crazy? Well, we can't be having that over here. Gotta keep this shit on the down low.
GODMODE
11/27/2010 7:33am
hell yes! thumpers can suck my nads. jk. i want one. but only cuz strokes are given such a bad handicap
11/27/2010 7:34am
A New England boy goes down under and rights a few wrongs.... Brap Brap! Way to go Robbie....Making Stow Ma. proud.
Huckster
11/27/2010 7:47am
Wadded_Up wrote:
A New England boy goes down under and rights a few wrongs.... Brap Brap! Way to go Robbie....Making Stow Ma. proud.
wrong robbie marshall I believe....
SwapperMX
11/27/2010 8:11am
Wadded_Up wrote:
Huckster wrote:
wrong robbie marshall I believe....
Yeah as good as that would be to see, this Robbie Marshall is from Brisbane, Australia. But if the other Robbie Marshall from New England wants to come down under and race a two stroke, I will gladly let him race my YZ 250.
11/27/2010 8:23am
newmann wrote:
And the crowd went crazy? Well, we can't be having that over here. Gotta keep this shit on the down low.
HA HA, ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!
Had a shifter cart race in the parking lot, at my work last weekend. MUSIC to my ears. TWO STROKE go carts.
Shawn142
11/27/2010 8:30am
Please point me to the person or thread that claims 2-stroke 250s aren't competitive against 4-stroke 250s? I do believe DC and the AMA nixed them because they were an advantage. The only thing worse than a clown on a soap box is one spewing mis-information...

I own a 2-stroke and enjoy riding it as much as the next guy, but some of you people are deep off into this whole deal.. You're not going to save the industry by posting stuff about 2-strokes every other thread on one forum. Do something constructive and go buy new 2-strokes or parts from your dealer.
newmann
11/27/2010 8:53am
Shawn142 wrote:
Please point me to the person or thread that claims 2-stroke 250s aren't competitive against 4-stroke 250s? I do believe DC and the AMA nixed them...
Please point me to the person or thread that claims 2-stroke 250s aren't competitive against 4-stroke 250s? I do believe DC and the AMA nixed them because they were an advantage. The only thing worse than a clown on a soap box is one spewing mis-information...

I own a 2-stroke and enjoy riding it as much as the next guy, but some of you people are deep off into this whole deal.. You're not going to save the industry by posting stuff about 2-strokes every other thread on one forum. Do something constructive and go buy new 2-strokes or parts from your dealer.
The AMA will be the first to say they have nothing to do with it and the OEM's were going to nix DC when he tried to include them. Even worse, they OEM's were going to nix DC over allowing them in the damned women's class! Davey Coombs is one of the few positive things we have at his level in this sport.

There have been quite a few threads about how the 2 strokes still weren't competitive even after being allowed to race heads up with the 4's. Most of them centered around a low buck privateer going against factory supported rides though.
SwapperMX
11/27/2010 9:12am
Shawn142 wrote:
Please point me to the person or thread that claims 2-stroke 250s aren't competitive against 4-stroke 250s? I do believe DC and the AMA nixed them...

newmann wrote:
The AMA will be the first to say they have nothing to do with it and the OEM's were going to nix DC when he tried...
The AMA will be the first to say they have nothing to do with it and the OEM's were going to nix DC when he tried to include them. Even worse, they OEM's were going to nix DC over allowing them in the damned women's class! Davey Coombs is one of the few positive things we have at his level in this sport.

There have been quite a few threads about how the 2 strokes still weren't competitive even after being allowed to race heads up with the 4's. Most of them centered around a low buck privateer going against factory supported rides though.
Yeah Newmann, you were spot on. There are a lot of threads here, as well as other sites, that state people's opinions on the two stroke basically being "dead" as a viable race weapon. Used examples such as, "All the riders winning at the big amateur races, eg. 250 A class at Loretta's etc were riding 250Fs when they had the choice to ride a 250 two stroke." The Aussie MX and SX series were also prime candidates to use to prove their point after this year they allowed the 250 two stroke into the lites class. Made quite a big deal about no two strokes being able to win a race against the 250F's.

AMA "perceive' the two stroke to have a MASSIVE advantage over the four stroke when displacements are equal. This isn't true, and here in Australia, this has been proved this year. 250 vs 250 is a fair fight, and these are the rules I believe that should be employed at all levels of competition, worldwide. FIM and AMA, I really hope that someone is paying attention.

So Shawn142, no mis-information here !!

Also, I mainly wanted to give exposure to a rider that thoroughly deserves it after putting on a great ride in his heat race.
RaceFace
11/27/2010 9:31am
Shawn142 wrote:

I love the 2 stroke, but this guy gets it. A 250 4-stroke is no match for a 250 2-stroke, with equal riders on board. If a team like KTM or Yamaha has 250 2 strokes in the Lites class, you'll see it become the 250 2 stroke class. I don't have a problem with THAT, but you have a bunch of manufacturers with no 2-stroke to compete on. Unfortunately, they sit on the board that makes the rules.

The reason the problem exists regarding a lack of 2 strokes is because not enough people bought them. If they had, the manufacturers would have been forced to keep making them. Even now all I ever see is that the 2 stroke guys buy them used, because they cost too much new. Well, KTM and Yamaha aren't seeing those used purchases on their income statements. It's only a matter of time before they make a decision based on demand. It makes me think of this new interest in JT Racing. Where was all this interest when they made the decision to stop making it?
NP301
11/27/2010 9:56am
Wadded_Up wrote:
thats a different robbie marshall Wink
newmann
11/27/2010 10:22am
RaceFace wrote:
I love the 2 stroke, but this guy gets it. A 250 4-stroke is no match for a 250 2-stroke, with equal riders on board. If...
I love the 2 stroke, but this guy gets it. A 250 4-stroke is no match for a 250 2-stroke, with equal riders on board. If a team like KTM or Yamaha has 250 2 strokes in the Lites class, you'll see it become the 250 2 stroke class. I don't have a problem with THAT, but you have a bunch of manufacturers with no 2-stroke to compete on. Unfortunately, they sit on the board that makes the rules.

The reason the problem exists regarding a lack of 2 strokes is because not enough people bought them. If they had, the manufacturers would have been forced to keep making them. Even now all I ever see is that the 2 stroke guys buy them used, because they cost too much new. Well, KTM and Yamaha aren't seeing those used purchases on their income statements. It's only a matter of time before they make a decision based on demand. It makes me think of this new interest in JT Racing. Where was all this interest when they made the decision to stop making it?
You have a FEW mfgs. that no longer IMPORT 2 strokes to the US. And that is by their choice. People quit buying the 2 strokes because the rules were changed to make the 2 strokes obsolete, less competitive and less desirable. Had the displacement advantage been less, the 2 strokes wouldn't have been pitched to the side as quickly as they were. When the new wore off the 4 stroke fad and all the 250F scatterbombs started going off( or in a more "fair" displacement scenario, the 175F scatterbombs) more and more people would have migrated back to the simple little 125's. But take all those 125's away and don't give anyone a choice.....

Now that not enough people are buying the 4-strokes, what are they going to do? Quit making them too?

I had to stop by the local Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer the other day and all they had on the floor at Christmas time was a KX450F and a YZ250F. That's it as far as motocross bikes were concerned. I asked one of the salesmen where the YZ125's were and he walks over and starts telling me all about it and its "features" while standing over and pointing at the TTR125. I just chuckled and walked away. It's a sad sad state of moto here in the US.
Blake
11/27/2010 10:48am
Billy Jack wrote:
Two strokes are a thing of the past.
And 4 strokes made alot exit the sport. For good.

Dropbear
11/27/2010 11:00am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 11:20am
Two strokes are far from dead. They have just grown headlights and are living in Europe racing Enduros.
Tbteam
11/27/2010 11:11am
Many of us have owned a bunch of two strokes and a bunch of four strokes.

Four strokes are easier to ride.

Two strokes are more fun.

Just my opinion of course.
mxb2
11/27/2010 11:20am
Dam ! we get it 2 strokes are good and 4 strokes are good, For all the 2 stroke lovers , go buy a new 2 stroke , quit talking about it! 7g s for a bike thats hardly changed, tough check to write. I love both the bikes, Quit buying used 2 strokes and help support your cause. Why would the factories redesign them, people are buying used ones! You can buy a 07 yz 2 stroke and its the same as the 11,(my bad BNG) Ktm is the only one making changes in the 2 stroke and i applaud them! Compare a 05 4 stroke 450 and a 11 450, bikes are quite a bit different, now compare a 05 yz 2 stroke to a 11 yz 2 stroke!
newmann
11/27/2010 11:28am
mxb2 wrote:
Dam ! we get it 2 strokes are good and 4 strokes are good, For all the 2 stroke lovers , go buy a new 2...
Dam ! we get it 2 strokes are good and 4 strokes are good, For all the 2 stroke lovers , go buy a new 2 stroke , quit talking about it! 7g s for a bike thats hardly changed, tough check to write. I love both the bikes, Quit buying used 2 strokes and help support your cause. Why would the factories redesign them, people are buying used ones! You can buy a 07 yz 2 stroke and its the same as the 11,(my bad BNG) Ktm is the only one making changes in the 2 stroke and i applaud them! Compare a 05 4 stroke 450 and a 11 450, bikes are quite a bit different, now compare a 05 yz 2 stroke to a 11 yz 2 stroke!
I think you just made the point as to why someone would choose NOT to buy a new YZ. Now if Yamaha would do something as simple as update the plastics and look of the bike, it would probably sell as many of them as the 4s. A simple damn plastics upgrade on the YZ250, not a whole damn retooling of the bike. Maybe offer a 300cc GYT-R kit like KTM does. On the 125, crank out a few more ponies and offer a true bolt on 150cc kit that didn't require splitting the cases. Neither of these would require completely retooling an entire bike. It's been said over and over again that both of these bikes are damn near perfect, just dated.
mxb2
11/27/2010 11:39am
I agree newmann, put updated plastics, maybe black wheels, oversize rotors, something to attract a new buyer! For the difference in price between a 11 yz 2 stroke and 11 yzf 450, the buyer is getting way more product for the money, you have to admit that!
DirtDgr
11/27/2010 11:54am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2010 11:56am
KTM 300 and 250 2t are selling out so fast it is really hard to find one. I know as I am in the market for a 250 sx I want to turn into a cross country weapon.

I love the 4 strokes.

But I am going back to simplicity.

People are buying them

11/27/2010 1:33pm
You mentioned that the AMA was going to nix DC for including them...

Why would an AMA official have ties to the OEMs? He should make his decisions on the health of the sport, not the favor of the OEMS ( I suppose you mean the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha).
KAWboy14
11/27/2010 1:36pm
this thread settles it: we all need to purchase a 2 stroke!
Billy Jack
11/27/2010 1:48pm
Once again, two strokes are a thing of the past, pretty much a by gone era and dead. A bunch of internet message board heroes are not going to change that. Sorry to offend you guys with facts, but get real and join the four stroke revolution.

Post a reply to: For all the Two stroke non believers

The Latest