Foot Placement On The Bike

duckonquack
8/12/2016 12:06pm
Hey guys I hope this is the right forum type to post this is in, I have a question about my foot placement on my bike. when I ride I have the middle of my foot on the foot pegs and right about where my big toe starts rests on the brake. My boots actually have a wear pattern where my brake rests and I feel like I actually press down on the brake when I ride. I have been trying to ride on the balls of my feet more and use the front brake more. I used to never use my front brake and use exclusively my back one. Every time I try and ride on the balls of my feet in a more athletic stance with my weight more over my bars it feels so awkward. Does any one else have this problem? I have thought of a few things to try and fix this. the first would be to adjust my brake lever so that it sits lower than my foot peg or the second option would be to buy wider foot pegs. Let me know what you think I should do and what you guys have done to fix this problem. Thanks!
|
mtl
8/12/2016 12:15pm
BRAKE for fucks sakes.

Bad habits die hard. Practice balls of feet and you will ride better.
8/12/2016 12:21pm
Practice practice and more practice. I had the same same thing back in the day. And remember to squeeze the bike with your knees!
IWreckALot
8/12/2016 12:22pm
Getting used to the "attack" position is difficult. For whatever reason, from day one, riding on the balls of my feet felt more natural than anywhere else, but riding standing up never was comfortable. The last two years I've focused on riding standing as often as I can and it makes you much faster.

I rode a buddy's KTM with extra wide foot pegs and it was the most distracting thing I've tried on a dirt bike. I like the foot pegs on my YZ250 much better.
duckonquack
8/12/2016 12:29pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Getting used to the "attack" position is difficult. For whatever reason, from day one, riding on the balls of my feet felt more natural than anywhere...
Getting used to the "attack" position is difficult. For whatever reason, from day one, riding on the balls of my feet felt more natural than anywhere else, but riding standing up never was comfortable. The last two years I've focused on riding standing as often as I can and it makes you much faster.

I rode a buddy's KTM with extra wide foot pegs and it was the most distracting thing I've tried on a dirt bike. I like the foot pegs on my YZ250 much better.
Standing is not my problem I just happen to never use my front break so ive gotten so use to my back break that I ride with weight on it and probably have it engaged a bit while trying to give it gas.

The Shop

EEE299
8/12/2016 12:31pm
I'm not really sure what most people do, but personally I run my rear brake high and my boot fits nicely behind/to the side of it with the balls of my feet on the peg. I think it only works because I always rest my feet like that even sitting. Also when I use the rear brake I always lift my foot up off the peg and forward... I don't know if that is "correct" technique though.
Starcrossed
8/12/2016 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2016 12:55pm
Since the front "break" provides 110% of your stopping power, using the rear "break" only, actually yields a 10% increase in acceleration. True story.
mx317
8/12/2016 1:13pm
EEE299 wrote:
I'm not really sure what most people do, but personally I run my rear brake high and my boot fits nicely behind/to the side of it...
I'm not really sure what most people do, but personally I run my rear brake high and my boot fits nicely behind/to the side of it with the balls of my feet on the peg. I think it only works because I always rest my feet like that even sitting. Also when I use the rear brake I always lift my foot up off the peg and forward... I don't know if that is "correct" technique though.
That is similar to what Gary Semics recommends.
Braap19
8/12/2016 1:16pm
I have big feet (size 13) and I used to be a brake dragger too. What got me fixed on it was my dad took the rear brake off and made me ride using the front brake only for a few weeks. Cured me of having my feet always placed to touch the brake. Now I ride much more on the balls of my feet and toes pointed in.
8/12/2016 1:26pm
I rest my toes against the pegs with my toes bend slightly inwards and my heels bend down. It sounds weird and don't know how to explain so here's a pic:

I think it came natural from riding a lot of heavy sand tracks where standing up is a must. Practice makes perfect.

langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
8/12/2016 1:43pm
EnvyMedia wrote:
I rest my toes against the pegs with my toes bend slightly inwards and my heels bend down. It sounds weird and don't know how to...
I rest my toes against the pegs with my toes bend slightly inwards and my heels bend down. It sounds weird and don't know how to explain so here's a pic:

I think it came natural from riding a lot of heavy sand tracks where standing up is a must. Practice makes perfect.

Id say this is the most common, but it's also closer to the arch of your foot than the ball of your foot.
kkawboy14
8/12/2016 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2016 3:11pm
The faster you ride the more normal being over the bars and having your feet back will feel.
That riding position is also less tiresome on your hands and arms as you will feel the bike pushing you thru the bottoms of your feet instead of hanging on with your hands
OldYZRider1
8/12/2016 4:07pm
Grant Langston shows proper foot placement here.

slipdog
8/12/2016 4:27pm
Balls of your foot theory is crap, ride how you feel comfortable. I've ridden in the arch for a little over 30yrs and it's always worked fine for me.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
8/12/2016 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2016 6:13pm
I did some ride schools with Tommy Weeck at Washougal and he says Toes, toes, toes. Just reach forward with your foot to brake or shift. He also showed us the dipping your heels in this roller section and the traction difference was night and day. Grip the frame with your ankles, inner calf and knees,

JM485
8/12/2016 4:34pm
slipdog wrote:
Balls of your foot theory is crap, ride how you feel comfortable. I've ridden in the arch for a little over 30yrs and it's always worked...
Balls of your foot theory is crap, ride how you feel comfortable. I've ridden in the arch for a little over 30yrs and it's always worked fine for me.
I'm so glad you said that because I just can't feel comfortable riding anywhere but my arches. I always figured it was wrong but I never understood how you could cover your brake and shifter effectively when your foot is so far away. I always just though it was the trail rider in me coming out, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Zoom
8/12/2016 8:16pm
The faster you go, the more you will need to ride on the balls of your feet. The biggest benefit is it allows you to grip the bike more with your knees. You see the pro's do this the most in the whoop sections. If you are a typical vet rider, riding the whole track in 3rd gear, it really wont make any difference in your riding experience.
Pryda
8/13/2016 1:30am
One thing that helped me ALOT is actually improving ancle mobility.
And last but not least, some boots are just really stiff which makes it awkard aswell.
8/13/2016 4:03am
Braap19 wrote:
I have big feet (size 13) and I used to be a brake dragger too. What got me fixed on it was my dad took the...
I have big feet (size 13) and I used to be a brake dragger too. What got me fixed on it was my dad took the rear brake off and made me ride using the front brake only for a few weeks. Cured me of having my feet always placed to touch the brake. Now I ride much more on the balls of my feet and toes pointed in.
I rode my cr250 for a year with a pretty crap rear brake so got used to just relying on the front for everything. Now I've got a new 450 I keep wondering about taking the front brake lever off for a day or two to practice using my rear brake again. Not just sure I've got the bottle to do that though, doesn't seem to great of an idea.
mx836
8/13/2016 6:29am
Yep. Riding on the balls of your feet makes it super sketchy when you need that brake in a hurry and pretty much have to take your foot off the peg to move it forward. You are not always in a body position that allows you to take your foot of the peg due to the weight on that foot at the moment. Ride how you are comfortable. Don't obsess over where your feet are positioned on the pegs.
kkawboy14
8/13/2016 6:32am
mx836 wrote:
Yep. Riding on the balls of your feet makes it super sketchy when you need that brake in a hurry and pretty much have to take...
Yep. Riding on the balls of your feet makes it super sketchy when you need that brake in a hurry and pretty much have to take your foot off the peg to move it forward. You are not always in a body position that allows you to take your foot of the peg due to the weight on that foot at the moment. Ride how you are comfortable. Don't obsess over where your feet are positioned on the pegs.
When you are on the balls of your feet is when you are attacking the track. It's pretty rare that you need to use the brake in those areas.
In braking areas move your foot forward.
mx836
8/13/2016 6:36am
kkawboy14 wrote:
When you are on the balls of your feet is when you are attacking the track. It's pretty rare that you need to use the brake...
When you are on the balls of your feet is when you are attacking the track. It's pretty rare that you need to use the brake in those areas.
In braking areas move your foot forward.
If you ride anything like me your feet are all over the pegs depending on the situation. Just stating how sometimes it's hard to reach the brake due to body positioning and the force on that foot at the time making it difficult to safely pick up your foot off the peg.
markit
8/13/2016 7:13am
Racing off road will teach you quickly to keep your feet up, after a few roots and rock clips at speed. A common practice for standing is to remove you seat and go out for 15/30 rides. As above, practice.
Motoxdoc
8/13/2016 7:18am
For starters I would recommend not leaving your toe on the break constantly. That's poor technique and it will wear out your breaking system prematurely (pads, rotor and oil). You're better off leaving a finger on the front break. I've always believed that you should be constantly moving from arch to balls and balls to arch. If you look at the boot soles of fast guys you'll notice they wear more evenly because they tend to move all over the place. Slower less experienced riders tend to put their feet on the pegs and never move em, consequently prematurely wearing the soles out in one spot.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
8/13/2016 8:20am
I remember reading in the mags all the way back in the 80's about riding on the balls of your feet. I practiced and practiced the technique on my track at home until I got to the races. I over jumped a down hill on my RM 80 and chipped a piece of bone off my tibia when I bottomed out. One surgery later at 12 years old I quickly learned not to do that again. I've stoved my ankles many times just in rhythm sections while riding on the balls of the feet let alone landing from jumps. I just ride where I am comfortable and that can vary to the track. I've even had places on tracks where I used the rear brake as a foot peg while landing. I have always been amazed at reading here on vital about guys breaking their legs, tib fib while landing and not wrecking. I've read it many times on here. I have a good idea how that happens.
Titan1
8/13/2016 9:37am
I'm just sitting here wondering how anyone can ride a dirt bike without using the front brake?

I used to always ride on the balls of my feet...ten back in the 90's I read an article in motocross action (tips from the pros or something), and in that article one of the pros said to ride on the arch...so I broke the habit of riding on the balls of my feet and started riding on the arch...now everyone says to ride on the balls of the feet. And the arch habit is hard to break.
Samuel
8/13/2016 9:55am
I always ride on the arches. I don't ever plan to change. I used to try a little freestyle and every once in a while I'd come back to the pegs on the balls of my feet by accident. Seems like an easy way to damage an achilles tendon or break an ankle. The worst ankle injury i've had came from over jumping on a ramp. I did a no footed can and right my foot landed a little too far back on the peg from my normal arch position. The impact from the landing caused the ankle to flex big time.That was 5 or 6 years ago and it still hurts some times. The only way i'd ever consider trying to ride on the balls of my feet would be if I had some ankle saver pegs.
IceMan446
8/13/2016 11:59am
slipdog wrote:
Balls of your foot theory is crap, ride how you feel comfortable. I've ridden in the arch for a little over 30yrs and it's always worked...
JM485 wrote:
I'm so glad you said that because I just can't feel comfortable riding anywhere but my arches. I always figured it was wrong but I never...
I'm so glad you said that because I just can't feel comfortable riding anywhere but my arches. I always figured it was wrong but I never understood how you could cover your brake and shifter effectively when your foot is so far away. I always just though it was the trail rider in me coming out, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I tried the balls of my feet and its super tough to shift or brake properly. Especially on a long straight coming into a corner. You almost have to live your foot up and move it. Obviously you can't slide it on the pegs.

I don't know how the pros do it so well.
IceMan446
8/13/2016 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 12:09pm
Samuel wrote:
I always ride on the arches. I don't ever plan to change. I used to try a little freestyle and every once in a while I'd...
I always ride on the arches. I don't ever plan to change. I used to try a little freestyle and every once in a while I'd come back to the pegs on the balls of my feet by accident. Seems like an easy way to damage an achilles tendon or break an ankle. The worst ankle injury i've had came from over jumping on a ramp. I did a no footed can and right my foot landed a little too far back on the peg from my normal arch position. The impact from the landing caused the ankle to flex big time.That was 5 or 6 years ago and it still hurts some times. The only way i'd ever consider trying to ride on the balls of my feet would be if I had some ankle saver pegs.
Yup, the ankle savers would help with that kind of issue.

Some of the pros run them for that reason.
8/13/2016 1:41pm
Have never gone for the balls of your feet approach, always felt like I didn't have a 'hold' of the bike, just forward of foot arch works for me, but just like levers there isn't a right or wrong just personal preference. Had a few very heavy landings that would have probably resulted in injured ankles if I was on the front of my foot.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/13/2016 1:55pm
slipdog wrote:
For the first time, I disagree with you...

Post a reply to: Foot Placement On The Bike

The Latest