Follow-up: Motocross in Israel

mbw416
4/27/2016 10:08am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 8:15am
A few months ago, Racer X released an article about motocross in Israel - following Blake Wharton's adventures there in the Middle East. After I posted on here about everyone's thoughts... I promised I would follow-up with my own pictures and thoughts from my trip there this April. So here ya go:

I went to Israel with the mission to work with women who ride - to have a Motocross Ladies Ride Day. I worked with Roey Shlomi of the Dirt Bike Academy and organized a day where we would all get together and ride on the ONE and ONLY legal motocross track in the country (at the time.... we opened up the second one a little over a week after this event). We had a great time! A good group of girls came where we got to work on basic riding techniques, play "how slow can you go" and really shine a light on women's mx there. Shout out to Miki Yochay, Tamar Natanov, Tammy Gorali, Sean Ben Yakar and so many others that made this day incredible! Here is an article written (in Hebrew, but can be translated using Google Translator) about the event here.

The dirt was INCREDIBLE. The weather was INCREDIBLE. The track was great for beginners and was made safe so riders of all skill sets could ride without high risk. While the track at Wingate was the only legal track at the time, there are TONS of tracks to ride, just need to ask the right questions!

Special shout out to Fly Racing, Source MX Graphics and Ashley Fiolek for sending some swag for the girls. They absolutely LOVED it.

While I was there, I had the honor to meet many people that are highly involved in the Israeli Motocross community and learned many things about what is really going on behind the scenes in the moto-world there. I learned of the ridiculous amount of politics keeping people from riding on tracks around the country and how a law created many years ago is ultimately keeping the sport from growing as it should. I learned about how people that do not ride and know little to nothing about the sport are making decisions hindering the progress of the current generation. How just to ride a dirt bike on your own property, you have to get a license that even requires a physical exam. And that even if you have a track on your own property... it is ILLEGAL to ride without permission - you would literally be considered a criminal. It all comes down to the fear of someone getting hurt and who would be liable for their injuries. I'm pretty sure rules like these do not apply for the country's most popular sport, and arguably more risky for daily injury - JUDO. There are many things that need to be changed for motocross to grow and the sport to flourish as it should - starting with the termination of this uncalled for law. There is a lot more to it... but it will be better explained in an article later on.

Oh how BLESSED we are to live in the States. While the US isn't perfect by any means, we are very blessed.

However, despite the politics, I would say, without a doubt, that Israel is quite the place to ride! With more tracks becoming "legal" and many tracks there to ride (just need to ask around), it is definitely worth the trip! I also wanted to add that the media does not do a great job of properly representing what is really going on in Israel. I saw no war, no stabbings, no bombings... it was quiet. And in all honesty, I felt safer there than here in the States! I even checked out an Israeli Navy base and hung out on a battleship! It was a great experience! Between motocross, the Holy Land aspect of it and the beautiful beaches and sites to see... it is a MUST!

If you have any questions or want more information, feel free to email us at motocrossladies@gmail.com!

For the full album of photos from this trip, view the Motocross Ladies Facebook page here.
|
MudPup545
4/27/2016 10:12am
Good read. Thank you.
gharmon
4/27/2016 10:37am
Nice story. I do believe we are so fortunate here it this country to kinda do as we please. But, we are losing some of those rights everyday. When I was growing up heck I could ride my bike to the motocross track. Granted riding on the road wasn't legal, I lived in a rural area and it was quite possible. I had no less than 3 different power lines and 1 gas pipe line that had unlimited access.

Now there are laws about riding in certain areas and all those free riding areas I grew up on are now all leased to be hunted on and you can bet the hunters want no part of you ripping up and down their hunting land.

We still have it good here it's just dwindling away though.
mbw416
4/27/2016 11:07am
Thanks for sharing. What part of Israel ?
I traveled literally all over Israel. Israel is TINY so it wasn't hard to see most of the country in two weeks. The two tracks I went to are both somewhat near Natanya. One is located at a place called Wingate and the other in an area called Hadera.

The Shop

The Rock
4/27/2016 1:08pm
mbw416 wrote:
I traveled literally all over Israel. Israel is TINY so it wasn't hard to see most of the country in two weeks. The two tracks I...
I traveled literally all over Israel. Israel is TINY so it wasn't hard to see most of the country in two weeks. The two tracks I went to are both somewhat near Natanya. One is located at a place called Wingate and the other in an area called Hadera.
Your reply does little to understand what part of Israel did you ride. North or south of Tel Aviv? Closer to Haifa or Jerusalem?
mbw416
4/27/2016 1:48pm
mbw416 wrote:
I traveled literally all over Israel. Israel is TINY so it wasn't hard to see most of the country in two weeks. The two tracks I...
The Rock wrote:
Your reply does little to understand what part of Israel did you ride. North or south of Tel Aviv? Closer to Haifa or Jerusalem?
If you look at a map of Israel - Netanya is one of the biggest cities on the map. As stated in my previous answer - both tracks are located somewhat near Netanya, which is north of Tel Aviv. Feel free to Google it!
4/27/2016 2:14pm
Fascinating. Thanks very much. I have friends there and will share the links with them.
slipdog
4/27/2016 2:16pm
In other words, "cram it with walnuts buddy" lololololol....
kkawboy14
4/27/2016 2:17pm
Cool story!

It's easy just to think life is easy everywhere.
4/27/2016 5:17pm
mbw416 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
mbw416 wrote:
If you look at a map of Israel - Netanya is one of the biggest cities on the map. As stated in my previous answer -...
If you look at a map of Israel - Netanya is one of the biggest cities on the map. As stated in my previous answer - both tracks are located somewhat near Netanya, which is north of Tel Aviv. Feel free to Google it!
Really though... Jeez. It took me no more than ten seconds to open google maps and find it. Sorry bout that guy...

Thanks for this story and photos. Pretty interesting.

Can you go into any more detail about that bizarre law? Can't find much of anything on it but I can just imagine the fun in a country made up entirely of jewish lawyers Woohoo

Also, are there many dealerships in Israel?
malachi177
4/27/2016 5:33pm
Awesome thread, thanks for sharingSmile
dirtnapper
4/27/2016 8:21pm
I find your comment about feeling safe there rather interesting - because yeah, what I hear on the news is bombs and stabbings and danger everywhere. Safe to say, Israel is NOT on my wish list of places to visit.......

But cool write up, thanks for sharing.
The Rock
4/27/2016 8:39pm
mbw416 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
mbw416 wrote:
If you look at a map of Israel - Netanya is one of the biggest cities on the map. As stated in my previous answer -...
I haven't forgotten what you said about where the tracks were located but again that didn't tell me anything the first time nor did you repeating it a second time.

North of Tel Aviv was the info I was looking for. Thank you

mbw416
4/28/2016 4:31am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 4:36am
The Rock wrote:
mbw416 wrote:
Really though... Jeez. It took me no more than ten seconds to open google maps and find it. Sorry bout that guy... Thanks for this story...
Really though... Jeez. It took me no more than ten seconds to open google maps and find it. Sorry bout that guy...

Can you go into any more detail about that bizarre law? Can't find much of anything on it but I can just imagine the fun in a country made up entirely of jewish lawyers Woohoo

No worries! Sometimes people just need everything done for them like a how-to book Smile Hopefully this guy realizes that Tel Aviv is literally in the middle of the country and half of Israel is north of Tel Aviv. Haha.

There are actually quite a few dealerships! Honda, KTM and Kawi seem to be most popular but you will see everything there. What is interesting is that there are TONS of trails to ride - legally. You will see people on bikes, ATVs and razors hitting up the sand all over Israel. You can even rent them for the day - which is a super fun way to see different parts of the country.

However... It's different when it comes to the racing side of it. I am working on an article now that will explain the law a lot better. Stay tuned Smile The Jewish lawyers definitely make things interesting. As most things in this world... it always comes down to the money and who will be held responsible.

@dirtnapper - glad you liked the write up! I will be real with you and say that what the media says is almost never an accurate representation of anything - especially when political agenda is behind the script (which is almost always). I would urge you to find truth for yourself and to not depend on TV as your only source of reality. Until you go to Israel - you will have no idea what it is really like. Smile
The Rock
4/28/2016 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 6:04pm
mbw416 wrote:
Really though... Jeez. It took me no more than ten seconds to open google maps and find it. Sorry bout that guy... Thanks for this story...

mbw416 wrote:
No worries! Sometimes people just need everything done for them like a how-to book :) Hopefully this guy realizes that Tel Aviv is literally in the...
No worries! Sometimes people just need everything done for them like a how-to book Smile Hopefully this guy realizes that Tel Aviv is literally in the middle of the country and half of Israel is north of Tel Aviv. Haha.

There are actually quite a few dealerships! Honda, KTM and Kawi seem to be most popular but you will see everything there. What is interesting is that there are TONS of trails to ride - legally. You will see people on bikes, ATVs and razors hitting up the sand all over Israel. You can even rent them for the day - which is a super fun way to see different parts of the country.

However... It's different when it comes to the racing side of it. I am working on an article now that will explain the law a lot better. Stay tuned Smile The Jewish lawyers definitely make things interesting. As most things in this world... it always comes down to the money and who will be held responsible.

@dirtnapper - glad you liked the write up! I will be real with you and say that what the media says is almost never an accurate representation of anything - especially when political agenda is behind the script (which is almost always). I would urge you to find truth for yourself and to not depend on TV as your only source of reality. Until you go to Israel - you will have no idea what it is really like. Smile
First off I was remiss not to thank you for the write up. Nice job and thank you.

Regarding what I know about Israel I have worked for 2 different Israeli companies, visited there twice (Tel Aviv Jaffa Haifa Tiberius Jerusalem Bethelehem Eilat) plus dated an Israeli woman for over a year. Being at the Church of Nativity was pretty moving but the room that they have declared (not 100 percent positive) as the place of the last supper made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Sorry also I was cranky but like things easy and obviously didn't want to research it. What's funny is I wasn't at home since I have a map Israel on my wall. City is too close to Netanyahu's name and that alone is enough to make me cranky. :-)

When we were in Eilat the company I worked for rented out every jeep in southern Israel and drove out into the Negev desert to a Beaudoin place. We were served tea and dinner while we were seated on the these nice rugs. Half the world wide distributors meeting was in Tel Aviv and the rest in Eilat.

Regarding safe or not safe you give me a ticket and I'm there tomorrow. I wouldn't be visiting Gaza or the West Bank and would avoid Hebron and Nazareth. Hanging out at a cafe at midnight in Tel Aviv is very nice. Very cosmopolitan city.

Seeing the walls of Jersualem lit at night is something I will never forget.
plowboy
4/28/2016 5:10pm
If you think the laws regarding tracks/ racing in Israel are restrictive....research Kansas land use laws. Crazy I tell ya.
mbw416
4/29/2016 6:30am

mbw416 wrote:
No worries! Sometimes people just need everything done for them like a how-to book :) Hopefully this guy realizes that Tel Aviv is literally in the...

The Rock wrote:
First off I was remiss not to thank you for the write up. Nice job and thank you. Regarding what I know about Israel I have...
First off I was remiss not to thank you for the write up. Nice job and thank you.

Regarding what I know about Israel I have worked for 2 different Israeli companies, visited there twice (Tel Aviv Jaffa Haifa Tiberius Jerusalem Bethelehem Eilat) plus dated an Israeli woman for over a year. Being at the Church of Nativity was pretty moving but the room that they have declared (not 100 percent positive) as the place of the last supper made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Sorry also I was cranky but like things easy and obviously didn't want to research it. What's funny is I wasn't at home since I have a map Israel on my wall. City is too close to Netanyahu's name and that alone is enough to make me cranky. :-)

When we were in Eilat the company I worked for rented out every jeep in southern Israel and drove out into the Negev desert to a Beaudoin place. We were served tea and dinner while we were seated on the these nice rugs. Half the world wide distributors meeting was in Tel Aviv and the rest in Eilat.

Regarding safe or not safe you give me a ticket and I'm there tomorrow. I wouldn't be visiting Gaza or the West Bank and would avoid Hebron and Nazareth. Hanging out at a cafe at midnight in Tel Aviv is very nice. Very cosmopolitan city.

Seeing the walls of Jersualem lit at night is something I will never forget.
That's awesome! I am so glad that you have been there. Old Jaffa was probably one of my favorite places to walk around. I went to a soccer game in Haifa, which was quite the experience. Went to Tiberias and went into the Kineret (Sea of Galilee). Went to Old Jerusalem and put a note in the Western Wall.... The stories are endless.

Israel is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited...I've been all over the world, with many places left on the list, but Israel is one of my favorites. It helps that I know Hebrew well enough to get around. Between the food, the people, the nature and the history... there is so much to do and see! I am already planning another trip there. Lots to do to help with the motocross world over there so going back is a must. Next time you go, you should definitely ride! Feel free to shoot me an email and I can connect you with the moto-fam there!

Here are some more pictures from the trip:

This is from Rosh Hanikra.... close to Lebanon. Absolutely beautiful!

Another part of Rosh Hanikra.

Kayaking in Northern Israel!

I have a friend that is in the Israeli Navy and got to go on base!

Oh you know... just watching motocross with these guys. This was at the opening of the second legal track in Israel... sponsored by Honda.

Post a reply to: Follow-up: Motocross in Israel

The Latest