First time on an actual mx track

Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 1:56pm
Well, today was my first time on a real, legitimate mx track. I got my first bike about 9 years ago when I was 7 but had only ridden around my yard and trails. I was super nervous when I got there, but it turned out a couple guys I knew ended up going, which turned the nervousness way down. Once I got out on the track and rolled a few sight laps, I felt confident enough to step it up a little. Sadly, it did not get stepped up any more the rest of the day, except for the last 2 laps I turned which of course is right when the GoPro died. They let me out with the 85's (I ride a 125) because it was my first time. I felt faster than I was expecting to go, and I was hitting jumps, which I havent done for a few years and really intimidates me. Of course, I wasnt clearing them all the way, but was comfortable with how far I was going. Id say it was the best time I've had on a dirt bike. Then after I got home and washed the bike. I watched the GoPro footage and the pictures my dad got, and then disappointment set in. I felt somewhat fast, but then watched the video and realized I was slow as a snail. I wasnt jumping near as high as I thought I was (on the ones he got pictures of me hitting anyways) and just felt bad because I had wasted the day going slow and thinking I was doing half decent on the jumps but I was sucking, hard.. All in all, I had a good day and I mean we all have to start somewhere, and plan on pushing myself harder next time. I'll post some pictures and the GoPro video, once its done processing. Remember that it was my first time on a real track, so hate is discouraged but constrictive criticism is appreciated.

|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/19/2014 8:18pm
Awesome man!! Elbows up, look ahead, and when in doubt... Throttle out!!
7/19/2014 8:23pm
Sitting down everywhere. Stand up and attack
The only spots he could get photos were in the corners, every where else I was standing.
hvaughn88
7/19/2014 8:24pm
I just think it's awesome that you're out there riding. Who cares about the other stuff. Just ride.

The Shop

bvm111
7/19/2014 8:26pm
Welcome to the disease that will haunt you for ever!!!!

7/19/2014 8:29pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I was trying to keep them up, but after 20 minutes my arms started to get tired, and at the end of the last time out for the small bikes, I started to get arm pump in my right arm, was having trouble getting my glove off cause I was having trouble moving my fingers Tongue And looking at pictures I took of the fast guys, I saw they all had their elbows down too. Weird how so many people say elbows up yet so many fast guys dont keep them up that high. I do notice it gives me more control. Heres some pics I got of the fast guys. I'm really looking forward to getting out again on a real track, Even though I was slow as shit I had oodles of fun!

Big Lenny
7/19/2014 8:30pm
Sitting down everywhere. Stand up and attack
The only spots he could get photos were in the corners, every where else I was standing.
Anyday you can make it home in one piece is a good day, and don't worry, I think everyone get's a little nervous before they get on the track no matter how long they've been riding...Wink
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/19/2014 8:33pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I was trying to keep them up, but after 20 minutes my arms started to get tired, and at the end of the last time out...
I was trying to keep them up, but after 20 minutes my arms started to get tired, and at the end of the last time out for the small bikes, I started to get arm pump in my right arm, was having trouble getting my glove off cause I was having trouble moving my fingers Tongue And looking at pictures I took of the fast guys, I saw they all had their elbows down too. Weird how so many people say elbows up yet so many fast guys dont keep them up that high. I do notice it gives me more control. Heres some pics I got of the fast guys. I'm really looking forward to getting out again on a real track, Even though I was slow as shit I had oodles of fun!

Don't sweat it buddy! That was just the mantra my dad always kinda yelled at us so I feel obligated to pass it along since it was your first track ride. Like above: any day you go home with a bike and body that aren't broken is a total win, no matter what happened at the track!!
7/19/2014 8:35pm
Im trying to find a 250f, I've ridden a couple before at some "track" (a few deep sandy berms and some whoops) and it was amazing. Im not much into the whole, youre either wide open or youre not moving thing, because Im not exactly comfortable going wide open every where.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/19/2014 8:51pm
Idk man, if you're a recreational rider keep that kx125 and learn to ring 'er out! Four strokes are awesome, but they're heavy and take away from natural skill needed to ride. It's so much more fun to milk a 2 stroke than to lug a 4 stroke. And it costs 1/4 to rebuild!!
7/19/2014 9:17pm
Well, today was my first time on a real, legitimate mx track. I got my first bike about 9 years ago when I was 7 but...
Well, today was my first time on a real, legitimate mx track. I got my first bike about 9 years ago when I was 7 but had only ridden around my yard and trails. I was super nervous when I got there, but it turned out a couple guys I knew ended up going, which turned the nervousness way down. Once I got out on the track and rolled a few sight laps, I felt confident enough to step it up a little. Sadly, it did not get stepped up any more the rest of the day, except for the last 2 laps I turned which of course is right when the GoPro died. They let me out with the 85's (I ride a 125) because it was my first time. I felt faster than I was expecting to go, and I was hitting jumps, which I havent done for a few years and really intimidates me. Of course, I wasnt clearing them all the way, but was comfortable with how far I was going. Id say it was the best time I've had on a dirt bike. Then after I got home and washed the bike. I watched the GoPro footage and the pictures my dad got, and then disappointment set in. I felt somewhat fast, but then watched the video and realized I was slow as a snail. I wasnt jumping near as high as I thought I was (on the ones he got pictures of me hitting anyways) and just felt bad because I had wasted the day going slow and thinking I was doing half decent on the jumps but I was sucking, hard.. All in all, I had a good day and I mean we all have to start somewhere, and plan on pushing myself harder next time. I'll post some pictures and the GoPro video, once its done processing. Remember that it was my first time on a real track, so hate is discouraged but constrictive criticism is appreciated.

Honestly, I can totally relate to how ur feeling. When I first started riding/racing tracks I was so excited. I had so much fun. I couldn't wait to bring the GoPro vid home from the races and show my buddies.

Now imagine your friends are VERY fast. I'm literally the worst most inexperienced rider out of all the people I ride with. My GoPro vid was embarrassing to say the least.

But ya know what? Who gives a fuck.

I started just riding the beginner track at Milestone. I was never happier. Within a couple months I'd gone from there to the vet tracks to eventually the main tracks. Clearing all the jumps and looking halfway decent. And so will u.

Just pace yourself. U don't get better while injured. Keep it on two wheels and don't pressure yourself. U will advance much faster than u think. And the truth is, once u get faster and can clear all the big jumps, ur gonna be having no more or less fun than that first day. So enjoy the little things now. The little accomplishments. And just the sheer enjoyment of being on the bike. Regardless of speed or skill.
7/19/2014 9:32pm
Well, today was my first time on a real, legitimate mx track. I got my first bike about 9 years ago when I was 7 but...

Honestly, I can totally relate to how ur feeling. When I first started riding/racing tracks I was so excited. I had so much fun. I couldn't...
Honestly, I can totally relate to how ur feeling. When I first started riding/racing tracks I was so excited. I had so much fun. I couldn't wait to bring the GoPro vid home from the races and show my buddies.

Now imagine your friends are VERY fast. I'm literally the worst most inexperienced rider out of all the people I ride with. My GoPro vid was embarrassing to say the least.

But ya know what? Who gives a fuck.

I started just riding the beginner track at Milestone. I was never happier. Within a couple months I'd gone from there to the vet tracks to eventually the main tracks. Clearing all the jumps and looking halfway decent. And so will u.

Just pace yourself. U don't get better while injured. Keep it on two wheels and don't pressure yourself. U will advance much faster than u think. And the truth is, once u get faster and can clear all the big jumps, ur gonna be having no more or less fun than that first day. So enjoy the little things now. The little accomplishments. And just the sheer enjoyment of being on the bike. Regardless of speed or skill.
Thanks! Im hoping by the end of the summer I'll be decently faster. All my friends who ride are way faster than me too. One of them races Intermediate (last class before pro) and finished in the top 3, and the rest race Junior and stuff so its like being kicked while your down Tongue Im looking forward to getting faster so i can hang a wheel with the faster guys. Its will be a fun and enjoyable journey getting faster that I'm really looking forward to. Good to know the internet isnt full of people that just want to bash you and tell you everything thats wrong with what youre doing, because thats when it becomes no fun.
JM485
7/19/2014 10:49pm
Cool to see you found a fun track! Just focus on small things at a time, such as working on corner speed during one time out on the track, and jumps the next time you go out. Nobody needs to be at pro speed to have fun, and that's what the whole sport is about. I started riding track during the summer time when i coudnt ride offroad a couple years ago and was pretty terrible when I started. Now that I have practiced it a lot, I can run a pretty decent pace and have noticed improvement in my riding overall, even on single track. Riding the track more will teach you how to ride with intensity, rather than just cruzing around, which will make you a more skilled rider in any situation. You'll be surprized how quickly you improve, just dont rush it and ride within your comfort zone. Keep the rubber side down and have fun!
7/19/2014 10:55pm
Sucks to suck man. My first time at the track I was pretty much already a Ryan Villipoto on my xr50. Ha ha, just kidding pretty much everyone is bad the first time at the track.
10000hrs
7/20/2014 5:37am
This was the main thing I took away from your post:

Id say it was the best time I've had on a dirt bike.

Any day you can say that is a great day.
The Rock
7/21/2014 10:41am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I just think it's awesome that you're out there riding. Who cares about the other stuff. Just ride.
THIS
Bultaco
7/21/2014 11:03am
The main reason you're riding is to have fun. And you said you did. EVERYTHING else is minor details, secondary, don't matter.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
7/21/2014 11:07am
dood ...im jealous...at least your riding....practice makes perfect!

MarkF
7/21/2014 11:09am
Fast or slow, riding a dirt bike is great fun. Good for you for getting out there. If you care about doing better, have your Dad film you riding . Most times I hear riders respond to constructive criticism, with " I was wide open, or I was standing up, or I did clear it" etc. And most times they weren't doing these things. With a video you can watch and see what you were actually doing wrong without self denial creeping in. Keep calm and moto on.
Darryl916
7/21/2014 11:13am
OP, what you are describing is what everyone goes thru exactly and it's what starts/maintains the addiction. Each time out you will do something a little better. Don't get wrapped up in the GoPro video. It makes everyone look slower than it feels.

Welcome to a life of spending every second thinking of how to get better. Seat time, seat time, seat time!!!!

Moto is a sport where you progress more riding 5 days for 1 hour than you do riding 1 day for 5 hours. Remember that.

* rules of thumb

- Never try stuff at the end of the ride day you haven't done all day
- Never say (out loud or to yourself) "I'm gonna go out one more time". That's like saying "watch this" or "hold my beer". Usually ends up in an injury....

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/21/2014 11:20am
Congrats on your first track day. Don't worry about the skills, man - we were all beginners once.

Just keep practicing and pay attention to your form, and the speed will come. Have your intermediate buddy show you some stuff.
7/21/2014 11:22am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 11:25am
My cherry was popped on this beater of a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFu_0fLEaM8

I was more on the ground and kicking that shitty ass 250f then anything else. Took me 10 minutes to do 3 laps.
The track looks allot better in the vid. All i could see was knee deep holes and big bumps, everywhere!
DemoDick
7/21/2014 11:34am
Nice Dude!

Just keep hammering it and do not go over your head!

My Avatar picture was my first time ever on a MX track. About 15 years ago!

Unless you are going BIG how high you look in a picture is all about camera angle. I might be 5 feet off the ground here with my awesome riding position!
7/21/2014 11:37am
bvm111 wrote:
Welcome to the disease that will haunt you for ever!!!!

THIS.

Welcome to being a Motocross rider.Practice makes perfect!(OH and at the end of the day and your feeling it and want to spin JUST a few more laps,load it up)Have fun!
Rdubs19
7/21/2014 12:24pm
Awesome dude, and don't sweat first time issues. My first day on a track I had already been riding off road for 8 years, I barely jumped anything and was sore for a week. Think you're tired now, wait til you get back to the truck after your first real moto!!!!! Ride ride ride mx enduro street whatever dude just be on a bike and be stoked .
JW381
7/21/2014 12:43pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Yup. It's cool to look at pics of yourself riding but don't look too deep, man. Just focus on relaxing and having fun and feeling faster by way of being more comfortable.
JW381
7/21/2014 12:45pm
Darryl916 wrote:
OP, what you are describing is what everyone goes thru exactly and it's what starts/maintains the addiction. Each time out you will do something a little...
OP, what you are describing is what everyone goes thru exactly and it's what starts/maintains the addiction. Each time out you will do something a little better. Don't get wrapped up in the GoPro video. It makes everyone look slower than it feels.

Welcome to a life of spending every second thinking of how to get better. Seat time, seat time, seat time!!!!

Moto is a sport where you progress more riding 5 days for 1 hour than you do riding 1 day for 5 hours. Remember that.

* rules of thumb

- Never say (out loud or to yourself) "I'm gonna go out one more time". That's like saying "watch this" or "hold my beer". Usually ends up in an injury....

* rules of thumb

100% True. If it's the end of the day, you're tired, but just want to squeeze a little more track time in, DON'T. Call it superstition, I call it science.
Denny979
7/21/2014 12:50pm
When my son first started riding his XR50 we were at a gas station with the bikes in back of the truck. A biker said to me "I bet when he jumps 6 inches off the ground he feels like Jeremy McGrath". I replied " Yea me too". The biggest thrills are when you first start. Enjoy it and don't stress progression.
Ardfarkl
7/21/2014 1:01pm
BAd ass man! Not only does it help nervousness when your buds are there, WAY more fun to talk crap with them afterwards too!

Post a reply to: First time on an actual mx track

The Latest