First ride back and 2015 crf 450 ride report

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/26/2014 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2015 9:12pm
I have been off the bike for a few years after an injury, longest ever and coming off a 05 crf 450. I had so much fun back riding. Dam I love this sport. The 2015 is my first fuel injected bike and air forks. I did get to ride an 08 quite a few times that was not to much different than the 05. The 15 bike seems shorter, slimmer and taller. The shock was a little soft but really good and the fork worked great in most areas but was harsh on small slap down flat landings and then deflected a bit at 35 psi. I thought slow rebound but the mag tests suggest speeding it up. I was on a sandy motocross track. I didn't set the sag before riding and it was 124. I got it to the suggested 105 now but had to tighten spring a bunch but static was at 37 and spring was well inside the minimum length so I think I'm ok. Does that sound right? I want to see how good I can get it before I revalve. I have a few base settings I'm wanting to try Saturday and mess with it from there. It handled great and railed the turns with out the push I am used to. I only used standard power and it pulled a lot harder than I expected.
I am so grateful to be able to ride again and have the support of my family who love the sport too. I am so out of shape but was grinning ear to ear the whole time. I need to get in better shape before the new track opens close by. Hopefully back to riding twice a week again starting now.
|
Bruce372
11/26/2014 5:32pm
Congrats on the new ride!
KDM711
11/26/2014 5:41pm
Nice review, keep us posted as I am in a similar situation , haven't ridin for a couple years and thinking about a new bike.
Did You ever ride Seminole Indian res track, loved that place
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/26/2014 6:06pm
KDM711 wrote:
Nice review, keep us posted as I am in a similar situation , haven't ridin for a couple years and thinking about a new bike. Did...
Nice review, keep us posted as I am in a similar situation , haven't ridin for a couple years and thinking about a new bike.
Thanks a ton. Oh man I am scarred from Seminole closing. It was my sanctuary. I was shocked when I heard. lol Loved that place so much.

mxb2
11/26/2014 6:14pm
How was the power compared to the 05, 08 crf ? more, less,same?

The Shop

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/26/2014 6:35pm
mxb2 wrote:
I only tried the standard mode and it was really stronger than I anticipated from all the talk of it being slow. I can't wait to see how "slow " the slow mode is. lol The 08 grunted more and had more top end. I loved the 05 power of low and mid but it fell flat on top compared to the 08 and even the 15 I might say. The 05 was hard hitting down low and mid and worked well. The 08 was broad and stronger on top than the other two. The 15 is linear and pulls really good in each gear but not as explosive off the bottom as the other two but aggressive mode may be harder hitting. I will know more Saturday. I was just breaking her/me in last time.
Tonycar107
11/26/2014 6:39pm
Where in sw fl do you live? I'm guessing your talking about florida tracks and trails. Place is going to awesome.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/26/2014 6:43pm
Tonycar107 wrote:
Where in sw fl do you live? I'm guessing your talking about florida tracks and trails. Place is going to awesome.
Fort Myers
kiwifan
11/26/2014 7:02pm
mxb2 wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
I only tried the standard mode and it was really stronger than I anticipated from all the talk of it being slow. I can't wait to...
I only tried the standard mode and it was really stronger than I anticipated from all the talk of it being slow. I can't wait to see how "slow " the slow mode is. lol The 08 grunted more and had more top end. I loved the 05 power of low and mid but it fell flat on top compared to the 08 and even the 15 I might say. The 05 was hard hitting down low and mid and worked well. The 08 was broad and stronger on top than the other two. The 15 is linear and pulls really good in each gear but not as explosive off the bottom as the other two but aggressive mode may be harder hitting. I will know more Saturday. I was just breaking her/me in last time.
I have the '15, and yes the aggressive mode is a slightly harder hit, the slow mode is great for a muddy/slippery track. The great thing is you can programme those maps (except for the standard one).
mxb2
11/26/2014 7:31pm
Thanks for the ride reports guys. Each crf i have every owned, put a full pipe on them , remap , screenless cage and good fuel. Rode a few with a vortex, hc piston and cam.great mods, and keeps the bike reliable
jeffro503
11/26/2014 7:36pm
FLmxer wrote:
I have been off the bike for a few years after an injury, longest ever and coming off a 05 crf 450. I had so much...
I have been off the bike for a few years after an injury, longest ever and coming off a 05 crf 450. I had so much fun back riding. Dam I love this sport. The 2015 is my first fuel injected bike and air forks. I did get to ride an 08 quite a few times that was not to much different than the 05. The 15 bike seems shorter, slimmer and taller. The shock was a little soft but really good and the fork worked great in most areas but was harsh on small slap down flat landings and then deflected a bit at 35 psi. I thought slow rebound but the mag tests suggest speeding it up. I was on a sandy motocross track. I didn't set the sag before riding and it was 124. I got it to the suggested 105 now but had to tighten spring a bunch but static was at 37 and spring was well inside the minimum length so I think I'm ok. Does that sound right? I want to see how good I can get it before I revalve. I have a few base settings I'm wanting to try Saturday and mess with it from there. It handled great and railed the turns with out the push I am used to. I only used standard power and it pulled a lot harder than I expected.
I am so grateful to be able to ride again and have the support of my family who love the sport too. I am so out of shape but was grinning ear to ear the whole time. I need to get in better shape before the new track opens close by. Hopefully back to riding twice a week again starting now.
Awesome report brother! Happy you are digging that new bike too! Over the years I've had some long breaks , and it's just an awesome feeling being able to throw a leg back over a bike again....a NEW bike too! Stay safe and enjoy it man!
Jimfunn
11/27/2014 4:12am
FLmxer wrote:
I have been off the bike for a few years after an injury, longest ever and coming off a 05 crf 450. I had so much...
I have a '13 which I bought new about a year ago. I've only been able to get out on it a few times (only got 17hrs on it) but sounds like the exact same feeling I have.
I went up a spring rate on the rear . I could get the correct sag settings with stock spring but went up a rate and it is a massive improvement. however I get the same front end "slap" harshness and struggle to get the front end to sit down and stick in flat turns. It tracks well through rutted turns and berms but any uneven or flat turns and it can be a real handful & flat landings feel very harsh through my shoulders.
I've played around with rebound / comp clickers & pressure and to get it to feel nice in turns, I have to run below 33psi but then bottoming badly on big impacts.
I'm about 210 lbs...
JKurz
11/27/2014 6:34am
My old 08 CRF450 was the strongest bike I've ever rode. I really enjoyed that bike!!
vetmxr
11/27/2014 7:22am
I still can't find a good reason to stop racing my 08.....I've ridden new ones, this bike just works better for me, and fast as hell. I bought a new yamaha so I would'nt wear out the 08 and could keep it around for a while., but I still find myself unloading that honda when we ride.

I'm hanging on to that one.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/27/2014 7:25am
vetmxr wrote:
I still can't find a good reason to stop racing my 08.....I've ridden new ones, this bike just works better for me, and fast as hell...
I still can't find a good reason to stop racing my 08.....I've ridden new ones, this bike just works better for me, and fast as hell. I bought a new yamaha so I would'nt wear out the 08 and could keep it around for a while., but I still find myself unloading that honda when we ride.

Yes I think the 08 is still the best bike yet that I have been on for sure.
mxb2
11/27/2014 7:37am
JKurz wrote:
My old 08 CRF450 was the strongest bike I've ever rode. I really enjoyed that bike!!
I had a 07 crf 450 with a yosh pipe, great bike, but my 12 kawy with full fmf and remap is better.Have you ridden a 12 kawy 450? powers stronger, crisper.
mxb2
11/27/2014 7:40am
I had a 13 crf, liked it a lot, but got this yesterday, [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/11/26/71813/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
I had a 13 crf, liked it a lot, but got this yesterday,
What do u like better, good? bad? overall.
slipdog
11/27/2014 7:48am
vetmxr wrote:
I still can't find a good reason to stop racing my 08.....I've ridden new ones, this bike just works better for me, and fast as hell...

FLmxer wrote:
Yes I think the 08 is still the best bike yet that I have been on for sure.
Just finished rebuilding the motor on my '08 and going to break it in tomorrow. I ride a lot of new bikes and like my the best.
jtiger12
11/27/2014 4:51pm
I love my 07 but come on guys. My buddies 2010 450 hits off the bottom line a ton of bricks compared to my bike. Yes, there is not as much top, but that is what the gearbox is for. Remember 2 strokes? I cannot see how the 15 isn't leaps and bounds better than the motor in the 07-08. I'll tell you right now, the 14 kawi is a killer compared to the 07 crf450. There is a big step up at the local track I cannot clear either hitting it in 4th in the meat, or wrenching it, but on the subframe pulling in 3rd. Second lap on a 14 kawi I almost cleared it half throttle.
Crush
11/28/2014 2:39am
KDM711 wrote:
Nice review, keep us posted as I am in a similar situation , haven't ridin for a couple years and thinking about a new bike. Did...
FLmxer wrote:
Thanks a ton. Oh man I am scarred from Seminole closing. It was my sanctuary. I was shocked when I heard. lol Loved that place so...
Thanks a ton. Oh man I am scarred from Seminole closing. It was my sanctuary. I was shocked when I heard. lol Loved that place so much.

That's a big ass jump!
11/28/2014 4:53am
I always find it funny that most people go straight to (my bike bike has more power, therefore its better) and they seem to totaly overlook the Honda is by far the lightest bike out there. I see folks spending big money to up the power of the Honda, but how much would it cost to make the Kawi or zook as light as the Honda? And thats not even mentioning the excellent overall handling of the crf.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
11/28/2014 5:31am
I love my 2010 Honda 450. It handles amazing, I don't care what everyone else said about it. Enzo suspension is killer, motor is soft, but just turn your throttle hand harder! Doesn't wear me out as much as my 07 Honda or my 09 kawi did.
Kawaboy14
11/28/2014 5:50am
Very cool! Man air forks are the deal!
JB 19
11/28/2014 2:59pm
davis224 wrote:
I love my 2010 Honda 450. It handles amazing, I don't care what everyone else said about it. Enzo suspension is killer, motor is soft, but...
I love my 2010 Honda 450. It handles amazing, I don't care what everyone else said about it. Enzo suspension is killer, motor is soft, but just turn your throttle hand harder! Doesn't wear me out as much as my 07 Honda or my 09 kawi did.
I feel the same about my 09 that has all of the fix mods and i also had an 07. I will admit that I'm a little curious about the new ones though.
kiwifan
11/29/2014 4:19am
I always find it funny that most people go straight to (my bike bike has more power, therefore its better) and they seem to totaly overlook...
I always find it funny that most people go straight to (my bike bike has more power, therefore its better) and they seem to totaly overlook the Honda is by far the lightest bike out there. I see folks spending big money to up the power of the Honda, but how much would it cost to make the Kawi or zook as light as the Honda? And thats not even mentioning the excellent overall handling of the crf.
I totally agree with you!!!
RobKacp
11/29/2014 6:10am
Good review - pretty much my thoughts as well. I sold my 2014 KTM 350SX and bought the 15 CRF a month or so ago. Although I really liked the KTM, I just never felt as comfortable on it as I did immediately on the Honda. It probably has a lot to do with me being 5'8", but the Honda has significantly better ergonomics for my body type and shorter legs.

The fork - I'm working on it as well. It feels good on big hits and does well in rutted corners, but slap type hits as you said are a little bone jarring right now. I'm running 34 lbs. Backing off the compression clickers definitely makes it feel smoother but at the expense of bottoming.

The power is just fine for a Vet. Interestingly, while it has more grunt off the bottom, it doesn't translate into being wickedly faster than my 350F. I'm still hitting step ups and such with about the same level of speed and the throttle pinned to land in the same places I did with the 350F.

Keep us posted on your work with the forks - I need some more time to figure them out as well.
slipdog
11/29/2014 7:01am
First ride on over 4 months yesterday and I can barley lift my coffee cup to my mouth right now. Rode with two guys, one with '14 kx450 and one with '14 crf450, my '08 felt better, handled better and out powered them both. The Honda guy wants to buy spring forks and the Kawi guy wants to sell his and find an '05-'08 gen Honda...

FTR, the only 450 I've ever ridden that was slower than the '08 crf stock was that '14 crf yesterday and any other post '08 crf. Mine has porting, 3mm long rod and 14:1 compression, but like Delta mentioned, it had the chassis to handle the power first.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/29/2014 4:04pm
RobKacp wrote:
Good review - pretty much my thoughts as well. I sold my 2014 KTM 350SX and bought the 15 CRF a month or so ago. Although...
Good review - pretty much my thoughts as well. I sold my 2014 KTM 350SX and bought the 15 CRF a month or so ago. Although I really liked the KTM, I just never felt as comfortable on it as I did immediately on the Honda. It probably has a lot to do with me being 5'8", but the Honda has significantly better ergonomics for my body type and shorter legs.

The fork - I'm working on it as well. It feels good on big hits and does well in rutted corners, but slap type hits as you said are a little bone jarring right now. I'm running 34 lbs. Backing off the compression clickers definitely makes it feel smoother but at the expense of bottoming.

The power is just fine for a Vet. Interestingly, while it has more grunt off the bottom, it doesn't translate into being wickedly faster than my 350F. I'm still hitting step ups and such with about the same level of speed and the throttle pinned to land in the same places I did with the 350F.

Keep us posted on your work with the forks - I need some more time to figure them out as well.
I rode it harder today and got a lot closer. I also really liked the mode two today. It was really smooth power like it is labeled and not so hard hitting but tractable. The first ride day was with out setting the sag which was way off and I was just taking it easy to break her in. I rode today with sag correct at 105 on a sandy motocross track. With the sag correct the front end felt so much more planted. Night and day.
I had three sets of starting points on clicker to try and ended up with these setting. Test rider Brandon Lutes settings were closest for me plus a little slower rebound on the fork as track got rollers but I know it can get better for my conditions.
Fork
35 psi
Low speed comp. 10
Hi speed comp. 11
Low speed rebound 7/8
High speed rebound 7/8

Shock
Sag 105
Low speed comp. 15
High speed comp. 16
Rebound. 4
RobKacp
11/29/2014 5:11pm
RobKacp wrote:
Good review - pretty much my thoughts as well. I sold my 2014 KTM 350SX and bought the 15 CRF a month or so ago. Although...

FLmxer wrote:
I rode it harder today and got a lot closer. I also really liked the mode two today. It was really smooth power like it is...
I rode it harder today and got a lot closer. I also really liked the mode two today. It was really smooth power like it is labeled and not so hard hitting but tractable. The first ride day was with out setting the sag which was way off and I was just taking it easy to break her in. I rode today with sag correct at 105 on a sandy motocross track. With the sag correct the front end felt so much more planted. Night and day.
I had three sets of starting points on clicker to try and ended up with these setting. Test rider Brandon Lutes settings were closest for me plus a little slower rebound on the fork as track got rollers but I know it can get better for my conditions.
Fork
35 psi
Low speed comp. 10
Hi speed comp. 11
Low speed rebound 7/8
High speed rebound 7/8

Shock
Sag 105
Low speed comp. 15
High speed comp. 16
Rebound. 4
Thanks for the notes - I'm gonna give your settings a shot tomorrow and see if they get me more in the ballpark.
kiwifan
12/1/2014 12:07am
Guys, try a little more rear sag....115-125...you might be surprised...

Post a reply to: First ride back and 2015 crf 450 ride report

The Latest