First ride EVER in the US!

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 10:47pm
Small step for mankind, but huge for a lefty from Sweden. After hunting the net for weeks for bike, gear etc and spending ALL my savings plus some more I was able ride for the first time today on US soil today. Haven't been on a bike since nov last year (snow kills the season in Sweden).

I was painfully slow, the sand track (Wareham, MA) was dust dry and I need of some serious maintenance ending in my love-handles flopping hysterically around my belly. I guess a clay track would have been easier to start with, but they are like non one in sight in the parts where I live. I fell like four times, and the bikes no longer looks new. Even managed to scratch my visor on my new $ 400 helmet...

This is what it is all about for me. I wouldn't touch this sport with a 12 ft pole if I wasn't able to ride as well.

These carriers doesn't seem to be that popular in the US. But I think they are fantastic if you don't happen to have a F-150 as your standard car.

(No longer a new bike).

I had to grind away like 40 cm on the central pipe of the bike carrier to make it work properly. The original construction was rather goofy ending in the bike being rather far away from the car. Kind of trampoline feeling while mounting the bike...

Anyway. Tnx for you time, no go back and flame Luongo, a triple jump or something. Wink
|
JB 19
5/29/2010 8:40pm
Congrats on the new bike.....and welcome to the states. Wink
DrSweden
5/29/2010 8:48pm
JB 19 wrote:
Congrats on the new bike.....and welcome to the states. Wink
Tnx!
oldx
5/29/2010 8:51pm
Welcome, glad you finally got to go riding.
plowboy
5/29/2010 9:16pm
The old "Love Handle Blues" is a tune I'm familiar with.Blush

The Shop

jimmie
5/29/2010 9:32pm
Well, if you were a bit closer to my hood, I could provide you with some easy competition but I guess you're on your own.

That's a very sweet ride you have there, glad you were able to break it in with the spills. Now that the bike no longer looks new you can ride and not worry about making a $6,000 bike look like a $3,000 one. Enjoy!
Wolfman
5/29/2010 10:07pm
Congrats Doc! I hope you enjoy your time in America.
fcr
5/29/2010 10:58pm
Those type of haulers work great. Glad you are here, have fun and stay frosty.
5/29/2010 11:14pm
Why did you move to the states?

What kind of work do you do here?

Congrats on your dream, you're living it!
P
5/29/2010 11:26pm
Good deal dude, good deal.

P
5/29/2010 11:31pm
Looks like fun. Congrats! And btw, you're supposed to scratch a new helmet BEFORE you ride. It's a ritual. Smile
5/30/2010 12:11am

Wondering the same ting? I want to move also. I was in Cali for 6 months in 98/99 had the time of my life.
I was all set on moving back, but it never happened. Live your/our dream m8Smile
DNietsche
5/30/2010 6:24am
Check out Middleboro, http://www.ncscmotocross.com/, it is a pretty fun track and close to you. Be careful riding on the Cape, there are a lot of Environmental Police.

If you want to race, NESC, NEMX are both fun organizations.

Oh and have fun drving around in the summer. The Bourne or Sagamore Bridges are awesome this time of year.

Cygnus
5/30/2010 7:10am
Good deal DR. You will love that carrier, Until you have to slam on the brakes for some jackass and your handle bar breaks your rear window.
Swede
5/30/2010 7:42am
Looking good, Doc!

And as several others wondered, I've missed out on how come you moved?
catatonic
5/30/2010 7:43am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2010 7:46am
I'll pick you up on my way to Race point beach sometime......I have an oversand permit.... we can catch stripers and talk moto.
Keep an eye out for Great whites in Monomoy area.
stumpjumper
5/30/2010 7:46am
That just looks unsafe! Better lock it down or it wont stay on there long! Have fun.
slowvet
5/30/2010 8:08am
What you need is a Super Duty, lifted till your nose bleeds, and a tommy lift gate ofcourse. Have fun Mr. Sweeden.
DrSweden
5/30/2010 8:12am
DNietsche wrote:
Check out Middleboro, http://www.ncscmotocross.com/, it is a pretty fun track and close to you. Be careful riding on the Cape, there are a lot of Environmental...
Check out Middleboro, http://www.ncscmotocross.com/, it is a pretty fun track and close to you. Be careful riding on the Cape, there are a lot of Environmental Police.

If you want to race, NESC, NEMX are both fun organizations.

Oh and have fun drving around in the summer. The Bourne or Sagamore Bridges are awesome this time of year.

Bourne bridge is nice looking for sure! The track I'm riding (Wareham) is actually located pretty close to that bridge. I will go to Middleboro and check it out. I will for sure both practice and race it. But I wan't to build up some speed and stamina before I race.

Yeah, Cape seems against mx. A kid died recently, but he didn't ride on a track. Anyway, I guess that makes them even more against us...

Where were you at?
pilotdude
5/30/2010 8:19am
Great to have you here Dr. See as much as you can. Good luck!
DrSweden
5/30/2010 8:27am
catatonic wrote:
I'll pick you up on my way to Race point beach sometime......I have an oversand permit.... we can catch stripers and talk moto. Keep an eye...
I'll pick you up on my way to Race point beach sometime......I have an oversand permit.... we can catch stripers and talk moto.
Keep an eye out for Great whites in Monomoy area.
Yes, please do. Send me a PM if it happens! Yeah, I hear there are sharks around. You know if they are here often? Would love to see a white one live (from a boat).
aminkman
5/30/2010 8:31am

Wondering the same ting? I want to move also. I was in Cali for 6 months in 98/99 had the time of my life. I was...
Wondering the same ting? I want to move also. I was in Cali for 6 months in 98/99 had the time of my life.
I was all set on moving back, but it never happened. Live your/our dream m8Smile
?
DrSweden
5/30/2010 8:48am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:13pm
Tnx for the welcoming folks. Nice being here. For those who wonder what the hell I'm doing here you have to guess between these two options.

1. I have been drafted to join American Honda as a rider, and also to become a new supermodel, but I have to prove myself on this local track in Wareham before I get the factory ride and this model contract.

2. Me wife is a researcher and got a once in a lifetime opportunity to do research for a the best researcher in her field. He's located in Cape Cod. Since we just got a kid and my career in Sweden is set and I can take a break for a while and take care of our kid without "damaging" my career we decided to do it. That means I will hang with our kid, do some riding and if there's any time left, I will do some research as well. But the last thing is low priority!

So which one do you think?
tuz371
5/30/2010 10:26am
DrSweden wrote:
Tnx for the welcoming folks. Nice being here. For those who wonder what the hell I'm doing here you have to guess between these two options...
Tnx for the welcoming folks. Nice being here. For those who wonder what the hell I'm doing here you have to guess between these two options.

1. I have been drafted to join American Honda as a rider, and also to become a new supermodel, but I have to prove myself on this local track in Wareham before I get the factory ride and this model contract.

2. Me wife is a researcher and got a once in a lifetime opportunity to do research for a the best researcher in her field. He's located in Cape Cod. Since we just got a kid and my career in Sweden is set and I can take a break for a while and take care of our kid without "damaging" my career we decided to do it. That means I will hang with our kid, do some riding and if there's any time left, I will do some research as well. But the last thing is low priority!

So which one do you think?
You are a lucky man Doc!! BTW, how did you come about that place to ride and did you have any issues with the local Police?

If I could move the family tommorrow, I would be on The Cape. Hard to explain what it is but I love it up there.

If you want clay/shale based hardpack, come down to Pagoda in eastern PA. I might even let you stay at my place. I just went riding for the first time since last november and fourth time since 2008 so I think I got you beat in the love handles department.
MotoBill51
5/30/2010 10:37am
Change the bike to a YZ and paint the minivan green and you'd have my "long haul - save gas mode" setup. Tie Down Tip: Put a wheel stop BEHIND the front tire and run tie downs from the bars rearward to the steel hitch tube. You can hook the inside one to the safety chain loop on the hitch. You will end up with a much more secure load. Also, you WILL wreck your top rack if you keep hooking up there. I just use the two cam-lock ties like I described and a ratchet strap from the frame around the carrier as a back-up. Very solid.
jimmie
5/30/2010 1:15pm

That's a pretty sweet deal!
Oh, and by the way...................you got it all, now go
take advantage of your blessings!
DrSweden
5/30/2010 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:15pm
tuz371 wrote:
You are a lucky man Doc!! BTW, how did you come about that place to ride and did you have any issues with the local Police...
You are a lucky man Doc!! BTW, how did you come about that place to ride and did you have any issues with the local Police?

If I could move the family tommorrow, I would be on The Cape. Hard to explain what it is but I love it up there.

If you want clay/shale based hardpack, come down to Pagoda in eastern PA. I might even let you stay at my place. I just went riding for the first time since last november and fourth time since 2008 so I think I got you beat in the love handles department.
Tnx for the invitation, man! I will consider it, but it's a 6-7 hour ride. There are places closer, but again I keep it in mind. Tnx again! I heard about this track from a Honda dealer in Hyannis (JMR-Honda). Talked to a guy there with the name JB.

Yeah, seems you might win in the love handles department. You have been gone from riding way to long. Shame on you! Smile
DrSweden
5/30/2010 7:47pm
jimmie wrote:
2. Me wife is a researcher and got a once in a lifetime opportunity to do research for a the best researcher in her field. He's...

That's a pretty sweet deal!
Oh, and by the way...................you got it all, now go
take advantage of your blessings!
Tnx. By the way, you guessed right! I bet it was really hard... Smile
5/30/2010 8:09pm
You should definitely take the time to get out to Tony Larusso's Connecticutt River MX in Rocky Hill, CT......1/2 or so south of hartford....about an hour and a half from you. One bad ass trackk.....river silt/loam mix......I ride there 1-2 times per month. Dave
VEGAS711
5/30/2010 9:19pm
DrSweden wrote:
Small step for mankind, but huge for a lefty from Sweden. After hunting the net for weeks for bike, gear etc and spending ALL my savings...
Small step for mankind, but huge for a lefty from Sweden. After hunting the net for weeks for bike, gear etc and spending ALL my savings plus some more I was able ride for the first time today on US soil today. Haven't been on a bike since nov last year (snow kills the season in Sweden).

I was painfully slow, the sand track (Wareham, MA) was dust dry and I need of some serious maintenance ending in my love-handles flopping hysterically around my belly. I guess a clay track would have been easier to start with, but they are like non one in sight in the parts where I live. I fell like four times, and the bikes no longer looks new. Even managed to scratch my visor on my new $ 400 helmet...

This is what it is all about for me. I wouldn't touch this sport with a 12 ft pole if I wasn't able to ride as well.

These carriers doesn't seem to be that popular in the US. But I think they are fantastic if you don't happen to have a F-150 as your standard car.

(No longer a new bike).

I had to grind away like 40 cm on the central pipe of the bike carrier to make it work properly. The original construction was rather goofy ending in the bike being rather far away from the car. Kind of trampoline feeling while mounting the bike...

Anyway. Tnx for you time, no go back and flame Luongo, a triple jump or something. Wink
We will be back there hanging out, riding for the two week break between Unadilla and Southwick. I will PM you to go riding with us on some private tracks. I am originally from Newburyport, north of Boston not too far from where Jimmy Decotis is from!Cool

Post a reply to: First ride EVER in the US!

The Latest