Fingers on levers

HenryA
6/30/2015 12:21am
I thought everyone knew that the reason JS7 crashes from time to time is that he doesn't have a finger on the clutch lever. Huh
Olson
6/30/2015 2:06am
Run one finger on the clutch. Not on the brake, brakes slows you down.
jaakee_
6/30/2015 2:26am
I nip the clutch when i need it, other wise I'm off the clutch. same with front brake.
BM255
6/30/2015 2:40am
nytsmaC wrote:
I keep a finger on each lever until the 2nd or 3rd lap. By then I'm gasping, drooling, I'm sitting down everywhere, my arms are about...
I keep a finger on each lever until the 2nd or 3rd lap. By then I'm gasping, drooling, I'm sitting down everywhere, my arms are about to explode and my hands are blowing off the bars. All form and teechnique is out the window and it's all about hogging the good lines and blocking the guy behind me.

Downshift you say? Fuck you, I'm dying here!
THIS!!!!

The Shop

6/30/2015 4:21am
holding an index finger out for the front brake constantly gives you arm pump because it puts your wrist at a contorted angle. By all means, use the front brake, but when you go from braking to acceleration, make a conscious effort to put it back on the grip.

clutch side, try using just your bird finger. adjust your lever such that it comes all the way back to your bird finger without interfering with your other fingers.

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/30/2015 5:07am
open fingers help with arm pump. You shouldnt really grip the bike tight except on the rougher stuff
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
6/30/2015 9:34am
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and...
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and also I believe it's easier to reach out and down to the lever than it is to lift your fingers up and over the lever.

Are you tall?
No, 5-11. I think the angle of that picture make it look worse. That is where they are comfortable any higher and it feels like I am tweaking my wrists. I don't have any problems reaching them when far back I have long fingers too.

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
6/30/2015 9:43am
Back to the original post. If you are falling without loosing grip then it's not finger on the clutch related. What fingers do you use on the clutch? If it's the typical pointer or middle then try gripping more with the outside of your hands. (Trey Canard recommendation) It helps with arm pump and helps with leverage because it's further out on the bars. Also with falling in a rut try to keep balance using throttle not by touching your foot. Keep your foot up and power on to keep the bike up. Also with balance weight the outside peg, don't just rest your foot on the peg, push it into the peg.
6/30/2015 9:49am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 9:54am
Got me wondering...
So I went back to a few pics and looked.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Only 50% on this one

And my favorite Yes!

And if you look at my sig pic, from the 80's, that's a yes too!
6/30/2015 11:24am
Got me wondering... So I went back to a few pics and looked. Yes [img]https://www.sleeth.us/images/148CahTurn.jpg[/img] Yes [img]https://www.sleeth.us/images/148oj.jpg[/img] Yes [img]https://www.sleeth.us/images/stoney1.jpg[/img] Yes [img]https://www.sleeth.us/images/jt1.jpg[/img] Only 50% on this one...
Got me wondering...
So I went back to a few pics and looked.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Only 50% on this one

And my favorite Yes!

And if you look at my sig pic, from the 80's, that's a yes too!
Showoff! Cool
GarySemics
6/30/2015 11:57am
My index finger is always on the clutch except when skimming whoops or in fast sections when there is no chance the clutch will be needed. I have calluses on the rest of my hand but not under my index finger. I keep the index finger on the front brake also. As soon as I start braking the finger is on the front brake and stays on the lever until I open the throttle to exit the corner. The last time I looked, this is what most of the pros are doing as well.

Get all the "Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques" here.

Camp332
6/30/2015 12:19pm
Always have an index on each lever here.

Even on my mountain bike.
6/30/2015 12:22pm
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and...
I also run my levers low. I believe it helps you keep elbows up keeps me forward (which is something I struggle with in corners) and also I believe it's easier to reach out and down to the lever than it is to lift your fingers up and over the lever.

Are you tall?
No, 5-11. I think the angle of that picture make it look worse. That is where they are comfortable any higher and it feels like I...
No, 5-11. I think the angle of that picture make it look worse. That is where they are comfortable any higher and it feels like I am tweaking my wrists. I don't have any problems reaching them when far back I have long fingers too.

Running your levers like this makes it easier for your handlebars to get yanked out of your hands
JW381
6/30/2015 12:41pm
I'm glad I read thru some of this, I am going to practice taking my finger off the front brake more of the time. Because I usually always have both index fingers on each lever at all times. On a MTB, in the pits, on a vespa, shopping cart. I can see how keeping it on the front brake could lead to some throttle side arm pump.
enketchum
6/30/2015 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 1:35pm
You don't need to ride with your elbows up all the time. I keep my index finger on each lever. I hold the bike with the ring and pinky finger. You shouldn't be holding on tight with all four fingers

When I twist the throttle, the tip of my pointer finger stays out
IceMan446
6/30/2015 1:33pm

How do you brake with your ass over the back of the bike???
jtiger12
6/30/2015 2:34pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Dungey moved his levers up early on in SX.... he said the low levers inhibited stability in corners and that keeping his elbows down made it...
Dungey moved his levers up early on in SX.... he said the low levers inhibited stability in corners and that keeping his elbows down made it easier to corner.

Me personally, I keep two fingers on my clutch at all times. It's a 125, so it needs to be finger banged every 30 feet.... it's a dirty, dirty girl.
+2 likes for the south park reference. Well done sir

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nYuHjmWM178
jtiger12
6/30/2015 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 2:44pm

IceMan446 wrote:
Wow. Is that real? Lowest levers I've seen in a while
r.sal923
6/30/2015 2:48pm
I ride with no fingers on the clutch but one always on the break . I find that when I start riding with my finger on the clutch , I loosen off my clutch lever and point it way down so I can't touch it ( only to get started and stopped ). Now this only works on 450 and flowing tracks. You are forced to keep momentum like riding a 2 stroke and are not able to clutch it every were. I was always told that you can only go half as fast with the clutch half pulled in and that momentum is your friend,
holverson34
6/30/2015 2:57pm

That's about where mine are. My dad always set mine up with the master cylinder cap level with the ground. I ride more center-forward and only put my fingers on the levers in corners. Tried to move them up but my elbows drop when I do.
The Rock
8/1/2015 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2015 8:30pm
Given the challenges you have keeping the gas on enough in the corners to keep the bike upright IMHO the last thing you should be worrying about at the moment is keeping your fingers on the levers. Get your comfort level increased to where you aren't falling then work on the lever thing...if you must.

First things first.
The Rock
8/1/2015 8:37pm
JW381 wrote:
I'm glad I read thru some of this, I am going to practice taking my finger off the front brake more of the time. Because I...
I'm glad I read thru some of this, I am going to practice taking my finger off the front brake more of the time. Because I usually always have both index fingers on each lever at all times. On a MTB, in the pits, on a vespa, shopping cart. I can see how keeping it on the front brake could lead to some throttle side arm pump.
The best front brake tip I can give you Justin is if you are having issues keeping the front end down in the berm apply some front brake. It takes a little getting practice to be comfortable applying throttle and front brake but we're only talking about a little pressure. Just enough to make the front end drop down some from the braking while you compensate for the braking by increasing the throttle to maintain your momentum.

I put focusing on keeping your fingers on the levers close to guys who scrub everything in site but run out of energy before the moto is over.......but I'm crotchety so you have to take that into account as well. LOL
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
8/1/2015 8:49pm
Adjust your levers the perfect distance from your grips so you can easily grab with one finger when shit turns pear shaped
JM485
8/1/2015 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2015 9:01pm

IceMan446 wrote:
jtiger12 wrote:
Wow. Is that real? Lowest levers I've seen in a while
Believe it or not I run mine the same way, that picture makes it look a lot worse than it probably is though. I feel like with them down like that I can just grab when I need to rather than have to lift my finders up and over before grabbing, that might come from my bmx riding though because my brake lever on that bike is pretty much dead toward the ground. I never really keep my finders on the levers anywhere but through corners, after I'm back on the gas both of them just move right back onto the bars.

Edit: I also do a lot of offroad, so for the almost constant standing having the levers low seems more natural to me, I am also 6 foot though.
wpark89
8/1/2015 9:12pm
I find my index fingers sticking out when I'm pushing a grocery cart!

motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
8/1/2015 10:30pm

You are a monster.
8/1/2015 11:40pm
Camp332 wrote:
Always have an index on each lever here.

Even on my mountain bike.
Me too.
Have you also switched your mtn. bike brake lever position as well? Rear brake left side of bars - front brake right side? Because for some very strange reason, even thought street bikes have the front brake on the right side, mtn. bikes have the front brake on the left side and rear brake on the right side by default :-/

Doug

Post a reply to: Fingers on levers

The Latest