Finally...Dungey speaks.

davistld01
Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 3:28pm
|
moto0852
3/23/2016 1:05pm
Does anybody know what Kevin Crowthers background is? By all accounts from people who seem to know him he seems like a good guy but It sure appears his decision making skills are lacking...at least from a consistency standpoint.

I think that's most peoples stink with the AMA. It's not if you agree with them or not it that they are just not consistent with rule enforcement.
EastFlorida
3/23/2016 1:25pm
I think it was more of an FIM decision rather than the AMA.
rt987
3/23/2016 1:26pm
Well, if they had black-flagged him, at least they'd be consistent.....
pbody
Fantasy
320th
3/23/2016 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2016 1:52pm
I wish KTM had appealed the penalty regardless of the appeal process which seems ridiculous...nothing to lose I would think, and plenty to gain. Primarily changes to the flagging system, or perhaps even easier, change the penalty. Instead of a 2 place penalty, why not a 5-sec penalty. I know there's the safety aspect, but when a rider can't see the flag because of where the flagger is and there is no rider in the way, a 2 place penalty just doesn't make sense.

All week I've been saying same as RD5 said, "So what I’m saying is, I think a flag should have been waving as I was coming into that turn." I guess they need to double up on red cross flaggers, standing back to back on both sides of the lanes if the flagger doesn't know where to stand. Or educate them to always stand/flag before the corner....never after.

Not rocket science, regardless of how fast-paced a race event can be.

The Shop

3/23/2016 1:30pm
I think it was more of an FIM decision rather than the AMA.
...that's what is beyond silly..2 sanctioning bodies...
Camp332
3/23/2016 1:44pm
Kevin Crowther really screwed me in my rmfantasysx picks last weekend bro
slowgti
3/23/2016 1:56pm
Discrepancies with 2 sanctioning bodies running one series? I would have never guessed that would happen.
kkawboy14
3/23/2016 2:02pm
Soooo why can't the AMA change it back, after further review? Can't or won't
newmann
3/23/2016 2:11pm
moto0852 wrote:
Does anybody know what Kevin Crowthers background is? By all accounts from people who seem to know him he seems like a good guy but It...
Does anybody know what Kevin Crowthers background is? By all accounts from people who seem to know him he seems like a good guy but It sure appears his decision making skills are lacking...at least from a consistency standpoint.

I think that's most peoples stink with the AMA. It's not if you agree with them or not it that they are just not consistent with rule enforcement.
Well that and the fact that they are f'n stupid. Yeah, I'm still dwelling on the displacement rules. Bumbling f'n idiots. Of course someone will come along and tell me that rule was made by the other AMA...
Premixed112
3/23/2016 2:16pm
Camp332 wrote:
Same...
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/23/2016 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2016 3:56pm
I stopped by the KTM rig about just before Roger was returning from his meeting with the officials, and he wasn't much in the mood to talk. I can understand why he wouldn't want to chat about it then, and Roger's comments were pretty much in line with what Ryan had said.

That was the first time a situation like that had come up, where it took a win away, and also substantially changed the results of what the fans and crowd had seen on TV, and in the stadium.

I'd already done an interview with Ryan where he thought he was the winner, and one with Jason where he thought he'd finished second.
kiwifan
3/23/2016 4:15pm
To me the officials are caught between a rock and a hard place, I doubt they have the balls this far after the event to reverse the penalty.

Given it will unlikely change who wins the SX series then I suggest we all move on.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
3/23/2016 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2016 4:23pm
kiwifan wrote:
To me the officials are caught between a rock and a hard place, I doubt they have the balls this far after the event to reverse...
To me the officials are caught between a rock and a hard place, I doubt they have the balls this far after the event to reverse the penalty.

Given it will unlikely change who wins the SX series then I suggest we all move on.
Won't change series, but I worry more about integrity of sport. There's the effect it has on the record books (asterisks start showing up), sponsorships, race winnings and bonuses.

That's why it's always good to have penalties that can be served while the race is going on. Penalty box....stop'n go....something.

At least postpone the podium for 5 minutes....make TV go long since they let stuff run over into the beginning of SX.
vet323
3/23/2016 4:27pm
kiwifan wrote:
To me the officials are caught between a rock and a hard place, I doubt they have the balls this far after the event to reverse...

So, we should wait until a situation occurs where a similar penalty actually impacts the series' standing?
TeamGreen
3/23/2016 4:41pm
This is easy to fix: USE THE DAMN LIGHT-WARNING SYSTEMS & lose that stupid flag!

There was a time, I thought, that flashing RED meant DO NOT JUMP.

You WILL see and respond to a Flashing Red Light.

At the same time, I'm not gonna bitch about the AMA/FIM enforcing the rules. They just need a much more EFFECTIVE warning system.

I know Kevin spoke about "SA" (Situational Awareness); but, what he's really dealing with is Warning Sytems NEEDED to provide "SA"...

We've crated very sophisticated systems for people in situations IDENTICAL to this in fighter aircraft...we've given them audio and visual warning systems...

In their HELMETS.
Jimmy_Sloan
3/23/2016 5:08pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Soooo why can't the AMA change it back, after further review? Can't or won't
Agreed, it makes no sense why the decision can't be repealed. It seems that whoever made the choice simply does not want to admit that they are wrong.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
3/23/2016 5:13pm
It does seem weird that the AMA/FIM never said in the beginning that it was the flagger who brought it to their attention. Why not just say so vs. saying "someone," especially if he was doing his job.

And why can't he radio in what he saw to the head official within a lap of the penalty so it can be worked out before the end of the race, and even better, before they hand out the trophies on the podium.
Trav138
3/23/2016 5:18pm
pbody wrote:
Won't change series, but I worry more about integrity of sport. There's the effect it has on the record books (asterisks start showing up), sponsorships, race...
Won't change series, but I worry more about integrity of sport. There's the effect it has on the record books (asterisks start showing up), sponsorships, race winnings and bonuses.

That's why it's always good to have penalties that can be served while the race is going on. Penalty box....stop'n go....something.

At least postpone the podium for 5 minutes....make TV go long since they let stuff run over into the beginning of SX.
Those are some good ideas but these guys would be over their heads in a total clusterfuck if it got more complicated.
I would start with getting the FIM the hell out of SX. Then a total review of the current flagging rules, punishment, and a gathering of all the Teams and Ama to come up with something that is consistent and easier to process for everybody.
Shooting from the hip ama style just doesn't cut it anymore.
Crush
3/23/2016 5:18pm
For the first time in forever at least they're being consistent in the fact that they docked Anderson in San Diego 2 positions for the same thing.

But that still doesn't mean the situation was handled well (going by Dungey's account of the process post race) or that the flagging is good, or that they're getting it right the rest of the time (Anderson/Grant in the heat)

Baby steps?

One thing Dungey says that is 100% correct, the team managers, the teams, need to get together, yes a union of sorts, and fucking demand this shit is sorted or we're not playing. How come they have to be so professional and the promoter/officials can just wing it?! Ridiculous.
plowboy
3/23/2016 5:25pm
With the way tracks are designed to challenge these 4 stroke monsters by putting doubles and triples right out of corners...the riders are committed before they get to the corner. The logical answer is to have flaggers at the entrance to corners BEFORE the rider has committed to an exit jump. Not perfect and more expensive but better than costing a rider a win or trying to shut down and injuring themself.
Ashleymx
3/23/2016 5:27pm
Besides all the obvious discrepancies with this the punishment should be set in writing as a time punishment not positions. 5 seconds, 10 seconds or whatever.

Docking 2 positions isn't fair if they have a 30 second gap lead compared to a 1 second gap over the guy behind them. Obviously the further out the rider is the harsher the punishment will be for them when docking positions not time. Not fair.

Things like flags waving in the wrong place, wrong time, wrong situation are always going to be subjective so why can't they at least set the rules straight and fair before they hit the track?
Question
3/23/2016 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2016 5:30pm
Ways to improve:
lights, flags on telescopic sticks to avoid getting hit, helmet & armors for flaggers to help them to go at it, double flagging (one waving before section) and flagging to protect (... a flagger waving yellow like hell on the left for a rider on the ground on the right is dangerous for all the riders...), no passing on yellow too
+ ideally a helmet radio for the riders from the race director (or someone that can be heard in the boot without yelling...) who deals with flaggers that announce a blue, yellow or red cross ?

Simple solutions. But less potential drama ?

I think it is time to raise the bar. Here there is no incidence on injuries or normally the championship, but there has been also an other event this year in the last lap that could have ended a championship chase partially because of lack of flagging visibility I believe. And it is not like the first time there are little issues with flags, especially blue ones.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
3/23/2016 5:29pm
Camp332 wrote:
I chose Anderson, musquin, dungey, roczen and tomac.

So you can imagine how ecstatic I was the next morning when I saw dungey got docked.
bob567
3/23/2016 5:33pm
Dungey is such a class act. Whats a hundred thousand dollars between friends?
kiwifan
3/23/2016 5:33pm
vet323 wrote:
So, we should wait until a situation occurs where a similar penalty actually impacts the series' standing?
Nope, but its up to the managers, teams, riders to get together to sort it out.......that cant be fixed this season
3/23/2016 5:37pm
If Dungey is to be a Goat, he will have to threaten to quit and retire.
Worked for RC.
3/23/2016 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2016 6:00pm
"The rider was in the middle of the lanes, off the track, and the red cross flag wasn’t in the middle of the track, covering someone like it was a serious situation" (Ryan Dungey, racerX interview, 2016).

That's exactly what I was thinking. If it's that serious the flagger needed to be in front of the downed rider. Not off the track. And before someone rejects that due to the impossibility of getting there through traffic. Well, the Flagger had plenty of time to get over there.
brocster
3/23/2016 6:02pm
Use the cameras before dishing out the penalty.

Additionally there has to be some cushion ( reaction time ) for the riders at the instant the flag goes up. The two can't and never will happen simultaneously. I.e flag up, breaks on.

If a rider is in 2 bikes, 3 bikes of the flagger at the time the flag goes up he gets "let go" for his safety of trying to shut down whilst committed and others beyond the 2 or 3 bike space must shut down. Point is the flag raising from the ground to "up and waving" and a rider jamming breaks cannot and never will happen simultaneously so some critical judgment has to be made reviewing film but there must be a standard in writing that everyone is aware of. Not just a flagger saying I threw it and a rider saying I didn't see it. Look at the field, draw some lines on the screen and make the call.

Tests can be done to come up with an acceptable buffer to measure from.
3/23/2016 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2016 6:08pm
As much money that vested into racing, there should be an appeals process. At the least decisions--if warranted-- should be able to be arbitrated. Good golly that might mean organizing a riders Union. But we can't do that.
BobPA
3/23/2016 6:45pm
I think he should be credited with the win, but keep the 5 point penalty enforced.

Post a reply to: Finally...Dungey speaks.

The Latest