Ferrandis shift lever technique

crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 10:58am
If you watch Ferrandis closely, he seems to have a weird technique to keep his foot under the shift lever when going through wave sections. He just keeps pulling the lever up with his foot.
I've seen that a couple of times already but only from Ferrandis, not sure if other riders do that too.
Anybody know what that'S about? Is it a balance thing? I mean you could misshift very easily

At 1:06

|
seth419
5/12/2017 8:24am
And he also only rides with one hand on the bars!!!!

The Shop

5/12/2017 8:38am
seth419 wrote:
And he also only rides with one hand on the bars!!!!
Good catch! Didn't notice that before.

As for his foot technique...I don't have a clue. Maybe he's just done that since day one and is very used to it.
de883zx
5/12/2017 8:42am
maybe its like a auto clutch z 50 thing to keep the rpms up? used to do that as a kid on my three speed honda.
RUTCITY
5/12/2017 8:52am
Dude is gonna be right up front all summer...

Our guys will need to watch some MXGP (mx2) tape on him.

I've got him top five and better all season outdoors.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
5/12/2017 9:06am
If any of you guys actually ride moto and have been to a track with rollers (usually sand rollers) we do it all the time. It helps a lot for balance, keeping tight to the bike and to work the bike over the rollers so it doesn't get the rear wheel off the ground. You can pretty much pump the bike like a bicycle over the rollers, and plus you're grabbing the next gear anyways because you'll be needing it for the speed of the section.

I've never done it in a corner as DF did in this video. That one has me wondering...
5/12/2017 9:14am
I wonder if DF is resting that hand while rolling that section? You know, to stave off arm pump.
5/12/2017 9:15am
nrosso391 wrote:
If any of you guys actually ride moto and have been to a track with rollers (usually sand rollers) we do it all the time. It...
If any of you guys actually ride moto and have been to a track with rollers (usually sand rollers) we do it all the time. It helps a lot for balance, keeping tight to the bike and to work the bike over the rollers so it doesn't get the rear wheel off the ground. You can pretty much pump the bike like a bicycle over the rollers, and plus you're grabbing the next gear anyways because you'll be needing it for the speed of the section.

I've never done it in a corner as DF did in this video. That one has me wondering...
Don't ride. Never have. Just like this board. Plus, there's no sand tracks here, and definitely no sand rollers.
Xeno
5/12/2017 9:17am
I think that's how Chad Reed hurt his knee at the Dallas (or was it Houston) Supercross. When he had his Honda team.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
5/12/2017 9:38am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 9:40am
nrosso391 wrote:
If any of you guys actually ride moto and have been to a track with rollers (usually sand rollers) we do it all the time. It...

Don't ride. Never have. Just like this board. Plus, there's no sand tracks here, and definitely no sand rollers.
Me neither.
Hardly any sand tracks here in italy and the netherlands.
But I really wanna try these bicycle techniques, might run out of gears though if he upshifts on every wave
5/12/2017 9:59am
you see the technique more and more i know Bogle does it often when he seat bonce to lift the bike even more with his feet. anderson also does it i think .
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/12/2017 10:10am
My son has ridden like that since he was on 65's. I tried to break him of it mainly because I thought it made his foot, etc more prone to injury. Dont remember shift mistakes, and knock on wood, no injuries.
peelout
5/12/2017 10:58am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 10:58am
no fingers on the clutch and his hips are locked. probably doesn't tape his nips or lift.
kijen
5/12/2017 12:14pm
nrosso391 wrote:

Um....liar....lol!
WeaverMX
5/12/2017 12:55pm
I watched the video and to be honest not sure what the issue is. I would bet that he doesn't think about his shifter much when he is riding. It's like walking to these guys. The only thing that looked kinda weird was when he was wheeling through the whoops and had the shifter pulled up.. But that is not all that weird.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
5/12/2017 1:01pm
kijen wrote:
Um....liar....lol!
I have video proving it...Not worth my time to upload.
5/12/2017 1:17pm
nrosso391 wrote:

kijen wrote:
Um....liar....lol!
You don't ride either! Can't fool me with your badass YZ 300!
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
5/12/2017 6:55pm
Xeno wrote:
I think that's how Chad Reed hurt his knee at the Dallas (or was it Houston) Supercross. When he had his Honda team.
Didn't think about that, but you raise a good point. When ski boots went from soft leather to hard plastic, ankle injuries decreased but knee injuries (blown ACL) rose by more than 100%. This happened when skiers would fall backwards and their foot would stay flat on the ground and their lower leg would stay perpendicular to the ski. I could see having your toe fixed under the shifter having a similar effect if your weaight got forced rearward while you're off balance.
Xeno
5/12/2017 7:21pm
USA
Fantasy
428th
5/12/2017 8:51pm
Anyone know if Ferrandis plans to stay here for the rest of his career? Will it depend on results?
F.B
5/12/2017 9:17pm
nrosso391 wrote:

WOW! The way you are pumping your bike over that section is impressive. It does look like you are riding a bmx!

Any more tips for us goons? Can you also out-scrub most pros like DDavis?

Question
5/13/2017 12:55am
USA wrote:
Anyone know if Ferrandis plans to stay here for the rest of his career? Will it depend on results?
He has been dreaming to go to the US since he was a kid, so I am sure he will stay there as long as possible.
chuckdavies
5/13/2017 1:26am
nrosso391 wrote:

F.B wrote:
WOW! The way you are pumping your bike over that section is impressive. It does look like you are riding a bmx! Any more tips for...
WOW! The way you are pumping your bike over that section is impressive. It does look like you are riding a bmx!

Any more tips for us goons? Can you also out-scrub most pros like DDavis?

GOLDLaughingLaughingLaughing
David934
5/15/2017 3:50am
crusty_xx wrote:
If you watch Ferrandis closely, he seems to have a weird technique to keep his foot under the shift lever when going through wave sections. He...
If you watch Ferrandis closely, he seems to have a weird technique to keep his foot under the shift lever when going through wave sections. He just keeps pulling the lever up with his foot.
I've seen that a couple of times already but only from Ferrandis, not sure if other riders do that too.
Anybody know what that'S about? Is it a balance thing? I mean you could misshift very easily

At 1:06

Why don't you ask Dylan directly?
Crush
5/15/2017 4:23am
RUTCITY wrote:
Dude is gonna be right up front all summer... Our guys will need to watch some MXGP (mx2) tape on him. I've got him top five...
Dude is gonna be right up front all summer...

Our guys will need to watch some MXGP (mx2) tape on him.

I've got him top five and better all season outdoors.
Think you're right speed wise but it'll be interesting to see how he handles the heat.

Usually beats on the Euros first year.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
5/15/2017 6:28am
I think he will win some motos. As was said on Main Event podcast last night - one of the only riders to beat Herlings straight up on a 250

Post a reply to: Ferrandis shift lever technique

The Latest