Feld Replaces Stolen Bike

ML512
Fantasy
54th
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2015 7:29pm
From the latest Racerhead: http://racerxonline.com/2015/06/12/racerhead-24

Josh Cartwright: The Atlanta 2 Supercross race was a crazy day for me. In Dallas and Atlanta 1, I made the night shows but came up short for the main events. With two attempts under my belt, I felt confident for Atlanta 2. Saturday morning, when we arrived at the privateer parking lot at the Georgia Dome, I noticed the lock was gone from the side door of my trailer. I looked inside and my practice bike was gone. As we walked around we saw AJ Catanzaro had the same unhappy look on his face. His bike had been stolen as well. We were both stunned and in disbelief, since the parking lot was a secured area provided to us by the event promoter. You had to show race credentials to a security guard to get in the privateer parking lot, so how could this happen? My practice bike was a reasonably new YZ250F. While it was mostly stock, it did have a duplicate of my SX race suspension and I had just put a set of Raptor Titanium footpegs on it. From the perspective of a privateer, losing your practice bike is devastating. Fortunately, FMF had my race bike locked in their truck inside the stadium pits. So things could have been worse.

I ended up having a great night. I got the holeshot in the LCQ and held on for third place to make my first main event. My lifelong goal has been to make a supercross main event while attending college, so this was a huge accomplishment for me and my family. Our pits looked like I'd won a championship, not third in an LCQ.

We heard they found AJ's bike so that was encouraging. Over the next few days we had images of these guys riding stolen bikes on social media. We determined one picture was my bike because of the grips. I use the blue ODI Emig Lock On grips on all of my bikes. They are easy to spot because they have Emig's name in really big white uppercase letters on them. We stayed in touch with the police for the next few weeks, but they eventually stopped calling and we assumed they had given up and I was simply out of a bike.

Then last week Feld Motorsports contacted me with some fantastic news. While the police never found my bike, the folks at Feld felt responsible for it and they were working to get me a replacement. They got me a new bike and shipped it to the dealer of my choice, and I just picked it up. We all know racing fans like to voice their opinions on social media and the internet. The Georgia Dome and Feld took a lot of online heat for the bikes being stolen, but they have taken responsibility and have done the right thing by replacing my bike. Every privateer and racing fan will appreciate that. I'd like to thank Feld's Director of Supercross Dave Prater for all of his efforts on making this happen. "
|
500guy
6/12/2015 5:53pm
Personally I think screw the bike, they should have shook down the people who let this happen, every year in GA it's the same story and it's always stolen from a secure area like a locked parking lot at a hotel.

These are the worst of the worst thefts because it's all happening by people being paid to prevent those thefts.

Props to Feld for replacing the bike but there is a bigger problem here.

The Shop

mxb2
6/12/2015 6:39pm
What happened to the insurance $$?
Bruce372
6/12/2015 6:42pm
Its a very well written letter also, so fair play to the rider too. Its cool that he can make a main while at college.
Gringoe
6/12/2015 6:55pm
500guy wrote:
Personally I think screw the bike, they should have shook down the people who let this happen, every year in GA it's the same story and...
Personally I think screw the bike, they should have shook down the people who let this happen, every year in GA it's the same story and it's always stolen from a secure area like a locked parking lot at a hotel.

These are the worst of the worst thefts because it's all happening by people being paid to prevent those thefts.

It usually happens in hotel parking lots, away from the dome. This happened in privateer parking across the street from the dome in a parking lot that feld is responsible for, and there is no excuse whatsoever for it. Good for feld for making it right but if they would've fixed the main problem (corrupt parking employees, not enough or any security) there wouldn't of been the problem.
Fat Fingers
6/12/2015 8:36pm
I agree with what others have said, there are bigger problems here which need to be addressed. Its great that Josh got a replacement bike but its unbelievable this could happen at all and that no form of formal assurance is offered by the promoter.
500guy
6/12/2015 8:40pm
500guy wrote:
Personally I think screw the bike, they should have shook down the people who let this happen, every year in GA it's the same story and...

Gringoe wrote:
It usually happens in hotel parking lots, away from the dome. This happened in privateer parking across the street from the dome in a parking lot...
It usually happens in hotel parking lots, away from the dome. This happened in privateer parking across the street from the dome in a parking lot that feld is responsible for, and there is no excuse whatsoever for it. Good for feld for making it right but if they would've fixed the main problem (corrupt parking employees, not enough or any security) there wouldn't of been the problem.
My point exactly and I think it was Peters that got Van and bikes stolen from a gated with security on duty hotel, it's the same problem.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
6/12/2015 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2015 9:05pm
Totally awesome that he got a brand new bike, but pretty crazy about the secure/ non-secure bike area.
jeffro503
6/12/2015 9:13pm
Wow ! way to go Feld and congrats to Josh! Pretty awesome they stepped up to help him like that. Can't imagine the balls a dude must have to walk into a secured area like that , break into a trailer and steal a bike. Crazy!
JM485
6/12/2015 10:34pm
Have to give credit where it's due, good on Feld for making things right!
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
6/13/2015 12:17am
Good news. Would be good to see the promotor talk to what they are doing to prevent a reoccurrence next year.
Question
6/13/2015 2:19am
JM485 wrote:
Have to give credit where it's due, good on Feld for making things right!

+1
KTMShane699
6/13/2015 2:31am
The ball was dropped by having stolen bikes from a secure parking area, but rather than denying responsibility at least they've fallen on their sword and made it right. Nobody is perfect. We've all made mistakes in the way we have done things.

Good on Feld for fixing their error and making it right for Cartwright. Now they can work on procedural corrections and you can't ask for much more than that. Good job Feld.

Shane
kkawboy14
6/13/2015 4:48am
Props for doing something that they should have done within weeks of the loss?
Props for doing what any good company should have done?

Hey, props to field!
KTMShane699
6/13/2015 5:13am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Props for doing something that they should have done within weeks of the loss? Props for doing what any good company should have done? Hey, props...

Hey, props to field!
"Should have" are the keywords in your post. They should. Most don't. Ever lose a bag with anything valuable while flying? They payout whatever their maximum is and send you on your way. Too bad for your lost value.

Feld replaced a used practice bike with a new one. Did it take a while? Yup. But it's done. And I'm sure they didn't have policy already in place.

Let's not add in the who's really responsible argument. Is it Feld? Or the security company they hired? It happened under their eye of course. But Feld hired them. It's not all black and white.

Is it so hard to give a little credit while credit is due?

Shane
6/13/2015 5:28am
It would have been easier for Feld to do nothing. They didn't have to whether they "should have" or not.

I think it's great that they did the right thing. I can only imagine that makes a huge difference for him, and I am certain they will make things more secure next year. It's crazy that people could bitch about that but I guess its Vital.
kkawboy14
6/13/2015 8:07am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Props for doing something that they should have done within weeks of the loss? Props for doing what any good company should have done? Hey, props...

Hey, props to field!
"Should have" are the keywords in your post. They should. Most don't. Ever lose a bag with anything valuable while flying? They payout whatever their maximum...
"Should have" are the keywords in your post. They should. Most don't. Ever lose a bag with anything valuable while flying? They payout whatever their maximum is and send you on your way. Too bad for your lost value.

Feld replaced a used practice bike with a new one. Did it take a while? Yup. But it's done. And I'm sure they didn't have policy already in place.

Let's not add in the who's really responsible argument. Is it Feld? Or the security company they hired? It happened under their eye of course. But Feld hired them. It's not all black and white.

Is it so hard to give a little credit while credit is due?

Shane
I have lost a bag flying, they sent me a check for $800 within weeks!

Nobody's bitching, it is very rare that moto promoters take responsibility for their business oversight. "Oh we are sorry a 4 wheeler crossed the track in a race and you hit them........."

So in this case props to them for resolving a business issue within a year!
BobbyM
6/13/2015 8:53am
Too bad there wasn't some cameras around that area and very cool that Prater and feld took the time and effort to help out.
watson
6/13/2015 9:47am
Bruce372 wrote:
Its a very well written letter also, so fair play to the rider too. Its cool that he can make a main while at college.
Couldn't agree more! I don't know how he has time to sleep. Good on him. These privateers going to college while chasing a pro SX/MX main are the real MVP's.
moore433
6/13/2015 11:12am
Sucks his bike got stolen, but very happy to hear they replaced it!!!!! Never would have thought about that happening.
CrashMaster
6/13/2015 11:47am
What they should do for future events in that area is hire around 10 former vets to patrol the whole parking lot over the entire night.
6/13/2015 7:29pm
My buddy Shane is doing the same. He is a privateer while attending college. He got injured at GH. It's a shame. He's an awesome cat though.

Post a reply to: Feld Replaces Stolen Bike

The Latest