Fastest Pro Mechanic

TailSoHard
Edited Date/Time 1/2/2015 2:36am
Wondering about three things:

1) Who is the fastest (or was the fastest) professional moto mechanic around a track? I know they have to be pretty damn good riders to be able to relate to their riders and translate performance issues into fixes, but how fast are they? Are there some that should be racing instead of wrenching? Did any riders become mechanics after their racing career ended?

2) Who is the fastest (or was the fastest) professional moto mechanic in the pits (doing engine swaps, bike builds, etc.)? I've met some mechanics that could do stuff in an hour or two that would take me a couple days, so I'm wondering how fast someone can actually be at that kind of thing.

3) Which pro rider is the best mechanic? Who, if their mechanic didn't show up one day, would be completely fine by themselves (if there are any)?

|
cable
12/29/2014 1:06pm
keith bowen wrenched for vueillemin? a few years back
philG
12/29/2014 1:23pm
Dana Wiggins ... was a good pro back in the day.

I honestly think that given the right environment , it isnt that difficult to wrench a bike , proper work area , right tools , and a bit of practice... these guys arent tearing motors apart , they pull out one and put in another, and when you have done it a few times , its becomes second nature.

Where the skill comes is doing it the same , every time , and never making a mistake, and more importantly doing it against the clock.

The motor guys are the ones i admire most , because while i can put one together and it will run , building them right takes a level of feel and expertise i dont have.
JerseyFresh
12/29/2014 1:23pm
Shaun Ulikowski works for JGR I think, but back in the day at Etown that dude hauled ass. He used to wrench for Travis Preston.
TailSoHard
12/29/2014 2:03pm
philG wrote:
Dana Wiggins ... was a good pro back in the day. I honestly think that given the right environment , it isnt that difficult to wrench...
Dana Wiggins ... was a good pro back in the day.

I honestly think that given the right environment , it isnt that difficult to wrench a bike , proper work area , right tools , and a bit of practice... these guys arent tearing motors apart , they pull out one and put in another, and when you have done it a few times , its becomes second nature.

Where the skill comes is doing it the same , every time , and never making a mistake, and more importantly doing it against the clock.

The motor guys are the ones i admire most , because while i can put one together and it will run , building them right takes a level of feel and expertise i dont have.
Yeah, I agree about the difficulty aspect of it, but the skill is impressive nonetheless. I know some of those guys can change a tire in under 10 minutes, so it's impressive to me that they can do everything they do so quickly and efficiently.

I was thinking that Albrechts would be on the list, but now that I think about it, I've only ever heard of the two of them being wrenches

For some reason Bowen rings a bell too, but I can't remember where or why

The Shop

philG
12/29/2014 2:47pm
TailSoHard wrote:
Yeah, I agree about the difficulty aspect of it, but the skill is impressive nonetheless. I know some of those guys can change a tire in...
Yeah, I agree about the difficulty aspect of it, but the skill is impressive nonetheless. I know some of those guys can change a tire in under 10 minutes, so it's impressive to me that they can do everything they do so quickly and efficiently.

I was thinking that Albrechts would be on the list, but now that I think about it, I've only ever heard of the two of them being wrenches

For some reason Bowen rings a bell too, but I can't remember where or why
Dont get me wrong , there are people who should never be let anywhere near a bike , even with a washer, but anyone who can spanner there own bike , could wrench reasonably... and you start off helping your buddy maybe , and move up.

When i worked in World Rally , the guys would practice gearbox changes and stuff , and all sorts of repairs to see what they could do in the short and long services, i never went on event so seeing this first hand was rare , but we did a new car and the first time they did it was cool to watch , they set up the tarp and jacks that they would have in the field , and then wheeled the car out , ragged it round the estate to get it scalding hot, and came in parked it and cracked on ... 22mins , only allowed 20 , but they got it down to 15 or so with a couple of mods.. great to watch.

When you get to a certain level, you have a fork guy , a shock guy , and a tyre guy , and a motor guy , at the track , its all about organisation , if you are factory, those guys work just for you , if you are a privateer , there will be a guy in a van out back doing everyones stuff.

I have been lucky enough to be pitlane crew at a few big races and thats fun , but being THE guy , thats a deal for people who have that bit extra
radialone
12/29/2014 5:11pm
As far as recent or current mechanics go, I know Paul Perebijnos & Lars Lindstrom go pretty good.
Dragoo168
12/30/2014 9:57pm
Tony Berluti used to haul ass back in the 80's !
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/30/2014 10:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2014 10:12pm
radialone wrote:
As far as recent or current mechanics go, I know Paul Perebijnos & Lars Lindstrom go pretty good.
Those both popped to the top of my mind. Lars is pretty darn impressive on the bike.
DAG
12/30/2014 10:39pm
Paggio...
Rizzo
12/30/2014 10:45pm
Sanner can hold his own. 11-10 Mods
FIREfish148
12/31/2014 4:37am
Jason Thomas (last saw him w/ Honda last summer, also won w/ Hahn at Thunder valley), was a pretty quick pro around here 10-15 years ago. Saw him compound break his leg at puyallup arena rose when I was little. Shit was no good.
Canerat
12/31/2014 4:41am
Lumgier brothers were pretty fast back in the day.
12/31/2014 4:55am
another for ulikowski.Hes good dude! I grew up racing with him n tommy, He made us jersey boys proud!
SwapperMX
12/31/2014 5:07am
Jason Thomas (last saw him w/ Honda last summer, also won w/ Hahn at Thunder valley), was a pretty quick pro around here 10-15 years ago...
Jason Thomas (last saw him w/ Honda last summer, also won w/ Hahn at Thunder valley), was a pretty quick pro around here 10-15 years ago. Saw him compound break his leg at puyallup arena rose when I was little. Shit was no good.
Saying JT$ was only a pretty quick pro is underselling him big time in my opinion. Had a very good career as a pro, raced in many countries all over the world, and I'm sure still hauls ass on a bike.
web mx
12/31/2014 6:21am
Jason Thomas (last saw him w/ Honda last summer, also won w/ Hahn at Thunder valley), was a pretty quick pro around here 10-15 years ago...
SwapperMX wrote:
Saying JT$ was only a pretty quick pro is underselling him big time in my opinion. Had a very good career as a pro, raced in...
Saying JT$ was only a pretty quick pro is underselling him big time in my opinion. Had a very good career as a pro, raced in many countries all over the world, and I'm sure still hauls ass on a bike.
wrong jason thomas I'm thinking
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
12/31/2014 7:27am
The fastest mechanic is probably Dana Wiggens. He was a solid rider and has a lot of top 10s in 125 supercross.
FWYT
12/31/2014 8:46am
Oh man, who is it I'm trying to think of . . . from Washington and got top 5 at Washougal in the 125 class . . . something like that . . . .wrenched for DV12 some . . .
Homey55
12/31/2014 8:50am
Isn't Jade Dungey making a run at a pro license, or has one already?
vet323
12/31/2014 8:57am
Trampas Parker was the fastest mechanic.

Originally went to Europe to wrench for some dude, then ended up winning a couple World titles.
Olson
12/31/2014 9:09am
Homey55 wrote:
That's Blake Dungey I presume.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/31/2014 9:41am
Question #3 is a doozie. I'm not sure too many pros could do their own maintenance. I have a friend who was a fast '80s Team Green dude - he won the pro class at the World Mini GP and made the night show at a few supercrosses. From what I understand he couldn't lube his own chain if his life depended on it though!
TailSoHard
12/31/2014 10:09am
Falcon wrote:
Question #3 is a doozie. I'm not sure too many pros could do their own maintenance. I have a friend who was a fast '80s Team...
Question #3 is a doozie. I'm not sure too many pros could do their own maintenance. I have a friend who was a fast '80s Team Green dude - he won the pro class at the World Mini GP and made the night show at a few supercrosses. From what I understand he couldn't lube his own chain if his life depended on it though!
See, that's what I was thinking too, but then again most of them probably had to do all of their own maintenance before turning pro, so I figured there's gotta be a couple guys that would be able to turn a wrench fairly well still. A lot of the off-road/GNCC/ISDE guys do all of their own stuff (or are required to during a race).

Wasn't there a Ricky Carmichael race where they had to do a lap and then change a tire, or something like that? I think it was within the last year or so but I can't remember
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/31/2014 10:53am
Homey55 wrote:
Olson wrote:
That's Blake Dungey I presume.
Jade (oldest brother) had a pro license and did some Arenacross I believe. He's now Justin Hill's mechanic. The youngest brother, Blake, is making his run at outdoors after setting out for almost two years due to this weird inward growing rib cage problem he had.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/31/2014 10:55am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2014 10:56am
SwapperMX wrote:
Saying JT$ was only a pretty quick pro is underselling him big time in my opinion. Had a very good career as a pro, raced in...
Swapper, you're thinking of the wrong Jason Thomas. The one Firefish is speaking of works for Factory Honda right now.

Chayzed Pilot
12/31/2014 11:13am
Cyril Despres was a mechanic before he started racing motorcycles. 5 time Dakar winner.
FWYT
12/31/2014 11:15am
vet323 wrote:
Trampas Parker was the fastest mechanic.

Originally went to Europe to wrench for some dude, then ended up winning a couple World titles.
No kidding? I did not know that! (Ed McMahon voice)
Cool trivia!
TailSoHard
12/31/2014 11:27am
Cyril Despres was a mechanic before he started racing motorcycles. 5 time Dakar winner.
Really?! That's pretty impressive

Learn something new every day...
Dx3moto
12/31/2014 12:05pm
Steve Matthes? Wink

Post a reply to: Fastest Pro Mechanic

The Latest