Factory team budgets for MXGP vs AMA series

Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 11:17am
After seeing some comments in the Qatar GP thread about how there are only 21 riders on the current entry list, it got me wondering about expensive it is for the factory teams to commit to racing an entire GP series vs. what they budget to spend in the US for the AMA series. I know the short answer is "A LOT", but can anyone provide further insight?

Would be very interesting to know what a team like HRC Honda budgets to spend in the US for Supercross and the Nationals vs. what they budget for MXGP. It's pretty insane to imagine the amount of resources and logistics that must be involved in sending bikes, parts, haulers, tools, riders & team personnel to 4 continents!
|
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
2/18/2016 9:35am
In F1 don't most of the races have to pay to transport the teams to/from the race? I'm fairly certain I read about this when Circuit of The Americas was being developed and paying to have a GP. I wonder if that is the same for MXGP.
moto282
2/18/2016 10:27am
I'd bet MXGP is much more if comparing AMA Outdoors to MXGP, but the AMA teams have to budget for MX and SX (twice the races).
rileymx
2/18/2016 10:39am
I think youthstream as a travel expences policy to the teams based on last year results...and thats why only the top teams atempt the overseas races....
As for the budget of the factory teams, i dont belive we will ever know the real numbers, no matter what side of the pound...
DeStouwer
2/18/2016 11:00am
Factory Suzuki has about 18 to 20 employed workers on a regular base. Transport costs around 30,000 euro for each oversea GP, this is only the freight. Add the costs of the planetickets for pilots, mecanics, hospitality-people, girlfriends.... Plus each employer has to be paid every month.

The Shop

2/18/2016 11:15am
moto282 wrote:
I'd bet MXGP is much more if comparing AMA Outdoors to MXGP, but the AMA teams have to budget for MX and SX (twice the races).
Don't forget MXGP guys ride there National Championships during the breaks between GPs.
2/18/2016 11:29am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 11:30am
731chopper wrote:
In F1 don't most of the races have to pay to transport the teams to/from the race? I'm fairly certain I read about this when Circuit...
In F1 don't most of the races have to pay to transport the teams to/from the race? I'm fairly certain I read about this when Circuit of The Americas was being developed and paying to have a GP. I wonder if that is the same for MXGP.
F1 has their own plane(s?) to transport all of the team stuff to fly aways. They put them on cargo ships for other races. I do know the teams don't pay out of pocket. There may be some other "fees" that go towards it though.

It's a joke they speak about being a "greener" series with this new engine spec and yet they fly back and forth all over the world, disregarding proximity to the next possible race, with jumbo jets burning god knows how much jet fuel. A little hypocritical to me. Pinch
TMV
2/18/2016 12:35pm
DeStouwer wrote:
Factory Suzuki has about 18 to 20 employed workers on a regular base. Transport costs around 30,000 euro for each oversea GP, this is only the...
Factory Suzuki has about 18 to 20 employed workers on a regular base. Transport costs around 30,000 euro for each oversea GP, this is only the freight. Add the costs of the planetickets for pilots, mecanics, hospitality-people, girlfriends.... Plus each employer has to be paid every month.
Desalle had 6 mechs just for his bike in Valence last week. That made me laugh a bit.

One guy was bleeding the front brake while another was bleeding the rear one. One was taking care of the front wheel while another the rear one. One guy was on the computer and the last one was puting foam to prevent mud from sticking between the peg and the brake pedal.

It was a real team effort. I saw one guy go into the van to searh for wire (for the foam), he came back and another mech cut it for him, lol!
2/19/2016 7:10am
moto282 wrote:
You avatar pic.. The tabletop on the bottom track at TNT Motorsports.. Am I right?
moto282
2/19/2016 7:33am
moto282 wrote:
You avatar pic.. The tabletop on the bottom track at TNT Motorsports.. Am I right?
No, private track in CA. Been meaning to try out TNT since I moved to Charlotte though.
2/19/2016 11:17am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 11:17am
F1 has their own plane(s?) to transport all of the team stuff to fly aways. They put them on cargo ships for other races. I do...
F1 has their own plane(s?) to transport all of the team stuff to fly aways. They put them on cargo ships for other races. I do know the teams don't pay out of pocket. There may be some other "fees" that go towards it though.

It's a joke they speak about being a "greener" series with this new engine spec and yet they fly back and forth all over the world, disregarding proximity to the next possible race, with jumbo jets burning god knows how much jet fuel. A little hypocritical to me. Pinch
I've been watching F1 for more than 30 years, and they're not seriously trying to promote the sport these days as "greener"; all forms of racing are wasteful, Formula E included. The turbo/hybrid formula is just an attempt at contemporary relevance, that's all. (As if single-seat, open-cockpit cars ever were relevant.)

Post a reply to: Factory team budgets for MXGP vs AMA series

The Latest