Factory RIder Selling Gear on Ebay

REED49
Edited Date/Time 10/30/2015 12:50pm
Pulpmx mentioned on Twitter earlier that a factory rider was selling his new FREE gear on eBay, hinted that it was CP377, anyone else see this?
|
10/28/2015 2:08pm
...free....really now..
...he earned it by promoting that brand...and do you expect him to pay for it....really...
moto0852
10/28/2015 2:11pm

It's a new thing called "Guerilla marketing".
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
10/28/2015 2:17pm
wonder who the culprit is ?

The Shop

10/28/2015 2:20pm
moto0852 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/10/28/109215/s1200_Capture.jpg[/img] It's a new thing called "Guerilla marketing".

...and this guy knows whats in every single contract.....really now....
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
10/28/2015 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 2:24pm

If it's anything like his previous auctions, he donates the money.
moto0852
10/28/2015 2:25pm
moto0852 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/10/28/109215/s1200_Capture.jpg[/img] It's a new thing called "Guerilla marketing".

"That guy" probably does since he's seen the contracts before. Talked with the riders about there contracts and personally knows and is friends with most the guys at gear companies who put them together...Of course no one thinks he's as in the know as you...clearly.
REED49
10/28/2015 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 2:48pm
...free....really now..
...he earned it by promoting that brand...and do you expect him to pay for it....really...
I didn't know he had done this before, or that he donates the money
Neek
10/28/2015 2:35pm
Cp did it already after his Kawi 450 GP come back. Just selling helmets, chest protector, gears on Facebook. Buyers were proposed to pay with PayPal or Credit card
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
10/28/2015 2:41pm
Hasn't Steve sold a bike "project" and made money off of the free parts he was supplied? Kinda the pot calling the kettle black. P.S. I love Steve.

Does it matter how it "makes Christophe" look? If I had a garage full of stuff someone else values, I would sell it too. Consider it bonus money.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/28/2015 2:43pm
I see no problem with it but it doesn't matter what I think anyways. If his gear sponsors let him keep his gear after the season is over then it is his property and he can do what he pleases with it. If the gear company has a problem with this then they should take the gear back and do what they want with it.

My dad use to buy used gear for me from a privateer who was sponsored by Thor. We didnt have enough money to buy gear too often so it was a way for me to get newer stuff and have a race and practice set at an affordable price. Years later when I was buying my own gear and had some money to spend I bought Thor because it was what I knew and had grown accustomed to. Sounds like a good deal for everyone to me.
moto0852
10/28/2015 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 2:44pm
Hasn't Steve sold a bike "project" and made money off of the free parts he was supplied? Kinda the pot calling the kettle black. P.S. I...
Hasn't Steve sold a bike "project" and made money off of the free parts he was supplied? Kinda the pot calling the kettle black. P.S. I love Steve.

Does it matter how it "makes Christophe" look? If I had a garage full of stuff someone else values, I would sell it too. Consider it bonus money.
I'm not sure if it's actually is CP he's talking about. From the sounds of it. Whoever it is sounds like they are selling new, never worn gear they just got. Not cleaning out closets like CP is.

No gear company would be happy with you if a sponsored rider sold their new free gear.
10/28/2015 2:44pm
moto0852 wrote:
"That guy" probably does since he's seen the contracts before. Talked with the riders about there contracts and personally knows and is friends with most the...
"That guy" probably does since he's seen the contracts before. Talked with the riders about there contracts and personally knows and is friends with most the guys at gear companies who put them together...Of course no one thinks he's as in the know as you...clearly.
...b.s.... every contract is a an agreement after negotiation....
...you nor anyone else knows what was or wasn't agreed to in rider contracts...pure speculation...

RandyS
10/28/2015 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 2:46pm
Who cares CP377 hasn't exactly been pulling in the fat checks the last few years, he sold a 2009 practice bike recently and gave 20% to St Judes. As long as it was used for what it was supposed to for the time agreed upon and it was production stuff(covered by liability insurance) he should free to do what they want with it. Nothing he has sold is current, it's like telling riders they can't sell their previous years bikes.
10/28/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 2:50pm
...free....really now..
REED49 wrote:
....it would be "an idiot"...but thanks for the compliment....
...but calling out CP377 when you have no clue to the whole story...really...
REED49
10/28/2015 2:51pm
...free....really now..
REED49 wrote:
....it would be "an idiot"...but thanks for the compliment....
...but calling out CP377 when you have no clue to the whole story...really...
Damn just as I deleted my comment. I didn't Moto guys cared so much about grammar and not what we're talking about.
moto0852
10/28/2015 2:55pm
moto0852 wrote:
"That guy" probably does since he's seen the contracts before. Talked with the riders about there contracts and personally knows and is friends with most the...
...b.s.... every contract is a an agreement after negotiation....
...you nor anyone else knows what was or wasn't agreed to in rider contracts...pure speculation...

Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
10/28/2015 3:00pm
I spoke with a JGR guy back in their drag racing days and he told me all the assets are considered an advertising expense, therefore money spent.. JGR sold off the assets when they left the sport. Mcdonalds didn't ask for the money back. I see no problem with selling some old gear.
Jt$
10/28/2015 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 3:08pm
...free....really now..
It's promotional material supplied to do just that, promote the brand. Selling the gear provided via Ebay is not something I would recommend and why you don't see it happen, barring this particular case. I don't know the particulars of his UFO contract but I would assume this was a no-no as it is disallowed in every gear contract I have ever seen.

On the dealer end, they are basically now competing for the sale of said item, except the rider has no MAP policy in place to protect price integrity and maintain a level playing field. It's a bad deal for everyone involved if top tier riders sell gear on Ebay for profit, which may or may not be the case here.

Giving the gear to fans and kids seems like the wisest move but that's purely my opinion.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/28/2015 3:15pm
Here's a suggestion for everyone who's not a fan of this. Don't buy it.

Somewhere, there's a fan who wants it, and might buy it.

I didn't really see anyone up in arms when he was selling one of his old Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki 450s.
moto0852
10/28/2015 3:24pm
GuyB wrote:
Here's a suggestion for everyone who's not a fan of this. Don't buy it. Somewhere, there's a fan who wants it, and might buy it. I...
Here's a suggestion for everyone who's not a fan of this. Don't buy it.

Somewhere, there's a fan who wants it, and might buy it.

I didn't really see anyone up in arms when he was selling one of his old Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki 450s.
GuyB I think "not buying it" is a given. That's simply stating the obvious. That does not address the real issue which JT alluded to.
moto0852
10/28/2015 3:28pm
...free....really now..
Jt$ wrote:
It's promotional material supplied to do just that, promote the brand. Selling the gear provided via Ebay is not something I would recommend and why you...
It's promotional material supplied to do just that, promote the brand. Selling the gear provided via Ebay is not something I would recommend and why you don't see it happen, barring this particular case. I don't know the particulars of his UFO contract but I would assume this was a no-no as it is disallowed in every gear contract I have ever seen.

On the dealer end, they are basically now competing for the sale of said item, except the rider has no MAP policy in place to protect price integrity and maintain a level playing field. It's a bad deal for everyone involved if top tier riders sell gear on Ebay for profit, which may or may not be the case here.

Giving the gear to fans and kids seems like the wisest move but that's purely my opinion.
Well now I'm really confused. dazzlindino said "...you nor anyone else knows what was or wasn't agreed to in rider contracts"
Are you telling me you know more than dazzlindino? It's not like you have any "inside info" Smile
jamma10
10/28/2015 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 4:01pm
moto0852 wrote:

moto0852 wrote:
I think those tweets are unrelated. The tweet about contracts refers to an article on RacerX about Agents.

I don't see where Matthes has hinted that it was Pourcel either. An English guy suggests that it ould be him, but based on what?
Mini Elsinore
10/28/2015 4:11pm
I'm surprised by how many ex-pros have kept very little of their old gear/bikes. I guess when you actually lived it----memorabilia doesn't mean much.
moto589
10/28/2015 4:15pm
DV12's wife used to sell all his stuff on eBay.
Racer142
10/28/2015 4:17pm
I think the argument that dealers have to compete with his price is a little absurd. Isn't his name and number printed into the design of the jersey? Most people aren't buying his stuff to ride in they are likely buying it for a collection.
10/28/2015 4:20pm
...free....really now..
Jt$ wrote:
It's promotional material supplied to do just that, promote the brand. Selling the gear provided via Ebay is not something I would recommend and why you...

moto0852 wrote:
[b]Well now I'm really confused. dazzlindino said [i]"...you nor anyone else knows what was or wasn't agreed to in rider contracts"[/i][/b] Are you telling me you...
Well now I'm really confused. dazzlindino said "...you nor anyone else knows what was or wasn't agreed to in rider contracts"
Are you telling me you know more than dazzlindino? It's not like you have any "inside info" Smile
...what part of...."I dont know the particulars of his UFO contract"... do you not understand...
Rizzo
10/28/2015 4:25pm
...free....really now..
Jt$ wrote:

JT, Is there a statute of limitations on that contract? Not claiming to know, but, if my contract with Fox is up and I'm now riding for Fly, 1-2 years removed even, what happens to that old contract and "promotional items" that clutter my garage? I agree its a no-no and also an unspoken rule but how does that work with 2012 stuff from 2 mfg's ago that isn't even relative anymore? Is it more of a faux paux than a breach of contract? Just asking for a friend of course.....LOL, just kidding.

For the guy calling out Matthes for building a "project bike" not even in the same category. Most of the stuff he paid for (at discount) but even then, if parts were donated, it was for promotion which he provided via his write ups and more than likely disclosed before acquiring the items. Id bet good money he didn't burn any bridges with these project bikes, apples to oranges bro.

Post a reply to: Factory RIder Selling Gear on Ebay

The Latest