Ex Riders Making It Big In The Sport

machine
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2012 7:02pm
Guyb's video of Milsaps doing a lap at Budds and mentioning Mark Barnet preping the track got me thinking about retired riders who have found success in this sport. It's not an easy thing to do. There's very few spots available in the industry and somehow, they have found their niche.

Who can you think of that have found similar success to Mark Barnet and his awesome track building?
|
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
6/15/2012 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2012 6:28pm
Most of the industry is stacked with EX racers....prolly why it is so hard for the average moto-joe to score a job in the industry.
They are team managers,team owners,agents,reps,teach schools & own training /riding facilities/tracks,coaches,test riders ect...
I think for the most part,the ones that want to stay in/around the industry do,with some exceptions.
But I guess where there is a will there is a way.
Seems like most (obviously not all) of the ones that have left are happy in their new ventures.
machine
6/15/2012 6:36pm
"Most of the industry is stacked with EX racers....prolly why it is so hard for the average moto-joe to score a job in the industry."

That, coupled with the fact that it's such a small industry.

BTW-why do they call it an industry?...lol
Switch
6/15/2012 6:50pm
LaRocco, Stanton, Kehoe, Glover, The Man, MC, Emig..

The Shop

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
6/15/2012 6:51pm
machine wrote:
[b]"Most of the industry is stacked with EX racers....prolly why it is so hard for the average moto-joe to score a job in the industry."[/b] That...
"Most of the industry is stacked with EX racers....prolly why it is so hard for the average moto-joe to score a job in the industry."

Yeah....and many have created their own jobs.

I would assume "Commercial production and sale of goods." is why it is called an industry.
AMA & FIM pro MX & SX is one big marketing promo,just like all other auto sports.
machine
6/15/2012 6:59pm
machine wrote:
[b]"Most of the industry is stacked with EX racers....prolly why it is so hard for the average moto-joe to score a job in the industry."[/b] That...

FastEddy wrote:
Yeah....and many have created their own jobs. I would assume "Commercial production and sale of goods." is why it is called an industry. AMA & FIM...
Yeah....and many have created their own jobs.

I would assume "Commercial production and sale of goods." is why it is called an industry.
AMA & FIM pro MX & SX is one big marketing promo,just like all other auto sports.
Yeah, It's funny, because everything else is called a sport.
machine
6/15/2012 7:02pm
Switch wrote:
A select few and then others just leave the sport behind, a la Hannah and Larry Ward.
newmann
6/15/2012 7:03pm
Savitski, since you mentioned track builders.

And that Decoster guy used to ride too didn't he?
machine
6/15/2012 7:05pm
newmann wrote:
Savitski, since you mentioned track builders.

And that Decoster guy used to ride too didn't he?
Right you are Mr Newman....

And who is this DeCoster fellow you speak of?
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
6/15/2012 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2012 7:31pm
Switch wrote:
machine wrote:
A select few and then others just leave the sport behind, a la Hannah and Larry Ward.
Hannah had stayed around and worked for Suzuki for a little while if I remember correctly.
He also did some commentating for the nationals on OLN I think it was...
Then he went airplane racing.
I think he still has something to do with that company where they were making bike stands and stuff also,forgot the name.
Edit here: https://youtu.be/zO3q3OjOWL0" frameborder="0">
Larry raced for a long time.
Think he retired back in 2004 and went hunting & traveling.

Just seems they moved onto other things they wanted to do.
Switch
6/15/2012 7:26pm
Switch wrote:
machine wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Hannah had stayed around and worked for Suzuki for a little while if I remember correctly. He also did some commentating for the nationals on OLN...
Hannah had stayed around and worked for Suzuki for a little while if I remember correctly.
He also did some commentating for the nationals on OLN I think it was...
Then he went airplane racing.
I think he still has something to do with that company where they were making bike stands and stuff also,forgot the name.
Edit here: https://youtu.be/zO3q3OjOWL0" frameborder="0">
Larry raced for a long time.
Think he retired back in 2004 and went hunting & traveling.

Just seems they moved onto other things they wanted to do.
It would be hard to completely walk away from something that you have put your whole life into. Good for Larry for having a life after moto, since it's his retirement after all.

Who else? RC does his thing in the booth during SX, Antunez was working with riders last I heard, Jammin' Jimmy has his own school now, DV was a team manager and still stays involved, ping was a team manager, Johnny O is still around
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
6/15/2012 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2012 8:04pm
Switch wrote:
It would be hard to completely walk away from something that you have put your whole life into. Good for Larry for having a life after...
It would be hard to completely walk away from something that you have put your whole life into. Good for Larry for having a life after moto, since it's his retirement after all.

Who else? RC does his thing in the booth during SX, Antunez was working with riders last I heard, Jammin' Jimmy has his own school now, DV was a team manager and still stays involved, ping was a team manager, Johnny O is still around
Tichenor is a riding Coach/Trainer.
Dubach - DRD / dubachracing.com
Jim Holly is obviously still around also.
Denny Stephenson stuck around also as a TV commentator, goggle guy and even rider agent.
RJ has had his ventures also.
Ward is back now.
Huges is still around.
Lamson
Bailey stayed around for a long time.
Laporte
Chuck Sun
HuskyEd
6/15/2012 8:04pm
Stefan Everts
Sylvain and Eric Geboers
6/15/2012 10:04pm
Almost easier to name the former top riders who DIDN"t stay in the sport:

Larry Ward
George Holland
Mike Kiedrowski
Jeff Matiasevich
Damon Bradshaw
Keith Bowen
Brian Swink

Some of these guys were a bit flaky, but I'm sure Holland and Kiedrowski had tons of offers. Ward, as well.
dboivin
6/15/2012 11:13pm
Almost easier to name the former top riders who DIDN"t stay in the sport: Larry Ward George Holland Mike Kiedrowski Jeff Matiasevich Damon Bradshaw Keith Bowen...

Larry Ward
George Holland
Mike Kiedrowski
Jeff Matiasevich
Damon Bradshaw
Keith Bowen
Brian Swink

Some of these guys were a bit flaky, but I'm sure Holland and Kiedrowski had tons of offers. Ward, as well.
think Keith is working as a suspension tech for Tech Care Suspension and spent years at TUFF Racing.. Dont know what Brian is doing but he was trying to get into coaching.
PressPassP
6/16/2012 12:46am
Pit Beirer-KTM
Heinz Kinigadner-Wings of Life

Blast from the past,Dave Nicoll is an ex GP rider and father of Kurt,47 years in the sport and now Official timekeeper,he's the guy with the Monster girls at the start of the race Smile
PFitzG38
6/16/2012 9:52am
What blows me away is how few still ride or race. I can sort of understand because after I broke my neck and had a halo installed, I didn't race or even ride for 10 years (one of my biggest regrets). The desire to race Mammoth Motocross finally got me back to the starting gate 15 years ago. It's not how fast you were, its how fast you are or like the Extreme t-shirts used to say "You don't stop racing when you get old, you get old when you stop racing". ~Long Live Mammoth Motocross
rallendude
6/16/2012 10:52am
Tons of guys are gear or goggle reps or even local outside sales reps. Some work behind the scenes training current mxers.

Shae Bentley
Grant Langston
Ezra Lusk
MC
Brooks
They had Mike Jones on the PA at High Point pushing his training program.
Hawwy
6/16/2012 11:30am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2012 11:31am
Can't believe Matthes hasn't be mentioned!

Two Manitoba titles... the dude is a legend! Wink
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
6/16/2012 11:57am
Almost easier to name the former top riders who DIDN"t stay in the sport: Larry Ward George Holland Mike Kiedrowski Jeff Matiasevich Damon Bradshaw Keith Bowen...

Larry Ward
George Holland
Mike Kiedrowski
Jeff Matiasevich
Damon Bradshaw
Keith Bowen
Brian Swink

Todd Dehoop could be added to that list also.
http://www.racerxonline.com/2006/11/10/where-are-they-now-todd-dehoop
pitbike502
6/16/2012 1:44pm
rallendude wrote:
Tons of guys are gear or goggle reps or even local outside sales reps. Some work behind the scenes training current mxers. Shae Bentley Grant Langston...
Tons of guys are gear or goggle reps or even local outside sales reps. Some work behind the scenes training current mxers.

Shae Bentley
Grant Langston
Ezra Lusk
MC
Brooks
They had Mike Jones on the PA at High Point pushing his training program.
^this.

EVS just hired an ex-pro for in house customer support, dunlop hired an ex-pro to do their am support in buffalo, some guy swork in shops that stopped or are currently racing. Mike Piccone is at Extreme Honda in Tampa, Mitch Dougherty and his father are key figures in NY Motocross/AMA, Don Emler & Son? Mitch Payton, Troy Lee?
g0rd057
6/16/2012 8:24pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
What blows me away is how few still ride or race. I can sort of understand because after I broke my neck and had a halo...
What blows me away is how few still ride or race. I can sort of understand because after I broke my neck and had a halo installed, I didn't race or even ride for 10 years (one of my biggest regrets). The desire to race Mammoth Motocross finally got me back to the starting gate 15 years ago. It's not how fast you were, its how fast you are or like the Extreme t-shirts used to say "You don't stop racing when you get old, you get old when you stop racing". ~Long Live Mammoth Motocross
Is Rick Johnson still involved with MX? He seems to be doing pretty well lately in off road racing.
Jeremy McGrath is involved in it too.

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
6/16/2012 8:30pm
g0rd057 wrote:
Is Rick Johnson still involved with MX? He seems to be doing pretty well lately in off road racing. Jeremy McGrath is involved in it too....
Is Rick Johnson still involved with MX? He seems to be doing pretty well lately in off road racing.
Jeremy McGrath is involved in it too.

Ever heard of supercross.com?
stizzle
6/16/2012 11:45pm
Once you get into motocross it's hard to give it up. Why would you want to? It's a brotherhood.

Post a reply to: Ex Riders Making It Big In The Sport

The Latest