Evolution of a message board

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:04pm
Back in the day, this place started out as a small group of friends. There was plenty of good-natured ribbing, lots of riding discussion, and people pretty much knew where to draw the line when it came to bashing...whether it was riders, or each other.

These days? Damn, I know the economy's bad, but wow, I can't say it's just that. There sure seem to be a bunch of grumpy people. It's fairly tough to find anyone posting anything positive, and it doesn't sound like anyone's having any fun. I thought we were all here because we actually liked the sport. Am I wrong? There are quite a few of you who act like you need to get some riding time in to put a smile back on your face.

Then I get goofballs who sign up repeatedly about as fast as I can click them, like it's some kind of game, and board vets who've been clicked a bunch of times, and when I'm slow to let them back doing everything they can to get back on, down to calling me a racist. I've gotten to the point where I've decided that there are some guys (even when they're moto fans) who aren't worth trying to rehabilitate, mostly because they don't add anything to the board even when they're here.

Yes, it's summer, and yes, there are a lot of new members. Part of that is due to school being out (which accounts for a few of the "Which _________ should I buy?" threads). Props to those of you who give them a decent answer. Most of us were probably in that spot at one time or another. Heck, I've done the same thing this summer regarding the trailer I'm traveling in this summer on RV web sites.

I'm sure I can already hear the, "It's because we can't haze the noobs argument." I don't mind if people get called out for posting dumb stuff, but a blanket "STFU noob" for anyone new who shows up? That's what I've always objected to. Besides (ahem), a bunch of the board vets here could do a lot to step up their game when it comes to post quality.

I'd like to suggest that everyone do what they can to add to the quality, and think before you click the submit button. Does what you're add to the board? Or ad to nothing but your post count? My favorite posters have always been the ones with not a whole lot to say (they go for quality over quantity), but make you sit up and take notice when they do post.

So...what's your take? Anyone agree or disagree?
|
TerryK
8/4/2010 10:32pm
I agree Steve. It's out of control. Maybe it's time for some IP banning?
MXR
8/4/2010 10:40pm
Its like drinking , some just don't know when to say when .

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/4/2010 10:48pm
IP banning is effective...to a point.
TerryK
8/4/2010 10:52pm
In most cases it is. Sure would make things easier around here! Tongue

The Shop

jasonv43
8/4/2010 11:16pm
I'm all for quality over quantity. I like to poke fun here and there but I totally get what your saying.
8/4/2010 11:19pm
I really really really like Motocross, Supercross, Arenacross and Amatuer Mx racing,and i go to as many as i can, and when i found this place, i was like cool finally i found something i have in commen with other people, and can bench race about up coming races, past races etc.

When i first joined, I started a thread in oldschool mx about riders i knew and grew up with in Florida,and seen the noob hazing thing, and was expecting it but it never came, i tried to get a few of my old racing buddys to join and they came here, and didnt like what they seen and never joined, but to me thats there decision.

Something i learned about the internet, years ago. For me the internet is for enjoyment and entertainment, I have enough stress in every day life on the job and in my personal life, i wont let the internet stress me out, have i read and seen things i didnt like or enjoy sure, but thats like ying and yang, take the good with the bad, and keep on trucking.

I jumped right in with out reading and watching, i kinda wish i had chosen a different name but o well , ill stick with what i chose, i did get a new computer and the switch was really easy
and i post on my work computer at work also(im sure my main boss wouldnt like it,but i do get my work done )but have the same name i started with, and for me theres no reason to start another account.
mxb2
8/4/2010 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2010 11:24pm
I like 2T and 4T s LOL!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/4/2010 11:30pm
mxb2 wrote:
I like 2T and 4T s LOL!
Case in point...some people have trouble sticking to the topic. Wink
mxb2
8/5/2010 12:03am
My bad GUYB, its gettin late on the east coast, trying to get all my work caught up this week so i can make the trip to Dilla! I' ll behave.
jeffro503
8/5/2010 12:11am
GuyB wrote:
Back in the day, this place started out as a small group of friends. There was plenty of good-natured ribbing, lots of riding discussion, and people...
Back in the day, this place started out as a small group of friends. There was plenty of good-natured ribbing, lots of riding discussion, and people pretty much knew where to draw the line when it came to bashing...whether it was riders, or each other.

These days? Damn, I know the economy's bad, but wow, I can't say it's just that. There sure seem to be a bunch of grumpy people. It's fairly tough to find anyone posting anything positive, and it doesn't sound like anyone's having any fun. I thought we were all here because we actually liked the sport. Am I wrong? There are quite a few of you who act like you need to get some riding time in to put a smile back on your face.

Then I get goofballs who sign up repeatedly about as fast as I can click them, like it's some kind of game, and board vets who've been clicked a bunch of times, and when I'm slow to let them back doing everything they can to get back on, down to calling me a racist. I've gotten to the point where I've decided that there are some guys (even when they're moto fans) who aren't worth trying to rehabilitate, mostly because they don't add anything to the board even when they're here.

Yes, it's summer, and yes, there are a lot of new members. Part of that is due to school being out (which accounts for a few of the "Which _________ should I buy?" threads). Props to those of you who give them a decent answer. Most of us were probably in that spot at one time or another. Heck, I've done the same thing this summer regarding the trailer I'm traveling in this summer on RV web sites.

I'm sure I can already hear the, "It's because we can't haze the noobs argument." I don't mind if people get called out for posting dumb stuff, but a blanket "STFU noob" for anyone new who shows up? That's what I've always objected to. Besides (ahem), a bunch of the board vets here could do a lot to step up their game when it comes to post quality.

I'd like to suggest that everyone do what they can to add to the quality, and think before you click the submit button. Does what you're add to the board? Or ad to nothing but your post count? My favorite posters have always been the ones with not a whole lot to say (they go for quality over quantity), but make you sit up and take notice when they do post.

Good post Steve , and point well taken.
Spinner
8/5/2010 12:39am
GuyB wrote:
Back in the day, this place started out as a small group of friends. There was plenty of good-natured ribbing, lots of riding discussion, and people...

Fuckin' A.

Let's ban some of the nut jobs around here. Start with Ol' Ger first.

And since you let Bobby back in (again), I say we let Ringer back in.

That's my .03 cents.
JB 19
8/5/2010 12:48am
In this thread it will be funny to see everyone post about how it is everybody else who is a hater.

Kind of like how 88% of drivers think they are an above average driver.

BTW Guy, I agree.
Spinner
8/5/2010 12:57am
JB 19 wrote:
In this thread it will be funny to see everyone post about how it is everybody else who is a hater. Kind of like how 88%...
In this thread it will be funny to see everyone post about how it is everybody else who is a hater.

Kind of like how 88% of drivers think they are an above average driver.

BTW Guy, I agree.
I am an above average driver. My record and documentation proves that. Tongue
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/5/2010 1:00am
Spinner wrote:
Fuckin' A. Let's ban some of the nut jobs around here. Start with Ol' Ger first. And since you let Bobby back in (again), I say...
Fuckin' A.

Let's ban some of the nut jobs around here. Start with Ol' Ger first.

And since you let Bobby back in (again), I say we let Ringer back in.

That's my .03 cents.
Just goes to show, one man's nut job is another man's law enforcement officer.
gt80rider
8/5/2010 1:00am
the way the message board is now is pretty optimum for hits..... vital is sitting around 55k world Alexa rank, that's pretty damn good, and the traffic is up over the last 3 months..... there hasn't been many death threats or racial slurs being posted, and when they have been, they seem to be swiftly taken care of.... it's held relatively in check compared to most boards...

an all fluffy board would be boring... ya, it's hard to define what crossing the line is sometimes... but to me nothing over that line has been left up.... a lot of people must like the way it is now or it wouldn't be as popular as it is.....
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/5/2010 1:08am
In a perfect world, it'd be fully self-moderating, and I wouldn't have to spend time "fine-tuning" the balance. Smile
Spinner
8/5/2010 1:14am
Just give me a set of keys, boss.
8/5/2010 1:14am
And then there seems to be the all-too-common smelly bait being cast out at almost regular intervals:

1. Was it straight up...
2. Thanking the Lord...
3. Hi, I'm new here...
4. Bye, I'm outta here...
5. Why I hate...
9. The list goes on.
prillernut
8/5/2010 1:47am
I think the problem is an inherent internet board issue. Starts out with essentially a small group of friends. Word spreads, and your board is hugely popular and successful - next thing you know you're now part of a huge "internet community". Most members don't know a thing about each other except for their online board interactions - big problem, but inherently unavoidable.

I'm sure there will be many big studies and much research done on online social behavior. I know some have been done, but I don't think they've but scratched the surface. Personally, I think a big factor is that some people just spend too much time in online social activity.

Get yer ass out and actually do something, and don't allow your online persona to become so critical to your sense of self. Jeez, lighten up, and don't dish it out if you can't take it. And if you can't take it, get out - don't hang out and don't keep coming back to take a beating.

I grew up riding with a couple of guys on here. We razzed each other unmercifully, it was just part of the culture of dirt bike riders. It wasn't of serious intent, but someone with feelings on the sensitive end of the spectrum wouldn't have fared well without adapting. That was part of becoming a part of the culture.

Wish I could offer some constructive advice, but I can't see any way of avoiding the occasional meltdowns and hurt feelings - I think they come with the territory.
Bauer
8/5/2010 2:30am
I've seen the rise and fall of a few moto boards...heck, I might have contributed to the rise and fall of a couple...and one of the things I've learned is that if it involves people and relationships, nothing ever stays the same. It's one of the sad facts of life, really...just when you think you've found the perfect chick, the perfect relationship, the perfect message board...no matter what it is, it's going to keep evolving and turn into shit.

I remember when you sent me an IM, telling me you were beta testing a little message board and there were only about ten of us on it. It was just something you were doing for fun and you weren't exactly trying to market it. Then the whole Mikeee Pissant thing blew up in his face and MT went to PPP and Fat Bastard and I (mostly him) steered a few folks over here....it was the wild, wild west of motoboard days!

Through it all, GuyB, you've been remarkable in how you've managed to keep it fairly orderly in here, while not alienating any huge blocks of people. And you did all this while at the same time moving forward in your career, to the point where you were able to get your employer to compensate you for folding your little side project into a part of your real life gig!

That's pretty cool and you have my respect for pulling it off. There's a lot to be said for being cool, calm and collected...

My guess is that you'll weather the influx of assholes just fine, Steve.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
8/5/2010 3:51am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 3:52am
If it turns to shit, is that evolution?

I don't post a lot but I read the board every day. I think it's awesome, very active, and I don't find much trouble. Either it vanishes before I get to it, or the trouble is buried in those 5+ page threads that I try to avoid. Wink
motogrady
8/5/2010 3:58am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 1:22pm

I try to keep my posts legit, informative and current.

But it seems, in the main forum anyway, no matter what one puts up you're gonna

get slammed by somebody for something. I know I've become defensive here,

to the point of..........why bother?

jimmie
8/5/2010 4:55am
I'm not pretending to be a "vital mx veteran" but my two cents.......

Guys post is just about common sense and common courtesy, something that has been deteriorating for some time now.

Group hug?

Off to work, see ya.
alphado
8/5/2010 5:12am
It all went down hill ever since you took away my 15,000 posts.
huck
8/5/2010 5:16am
Start by banning hotmail and gmail accounts... That'd be a start!

yota
8/5/2010 5:21am
btw is there a Vital virus? almost every time I open Vital my computer locks up. does not happen on any other website I visit.
motogroove
8/5/2010 5:48am
Well, I know I've been guilty of taking the bait more than once in my short time here.

Previously, I have limited my social networking to rec.motorcycles.dirt which is unmoderated and somehow policed itself to a small degree. Unfortunately, many good folks bailed out because there was too much bickering and feuding. They now prefer a moderated group which has less crap and more snap. It's very slow over there these days. But the people are "core".

I know it's got to be tough playing moderator - keeping impartial and even handed, etc.

There's a ton of good stuff here. I don't know how anybody could keep up on it all and still have time to ride.

-Dean
jndmx
8/5/2010 6:33am
MXR wrote:
Its like drinking , some just don't know when to say when .

That's a pretty good analogy.

Post a reply to: Evolution of a message board

The Latest