European Riders America Loves To Hate

machine
Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 7:48am
What separates the riders like Roczen and Townley from riders like CP and JMB?

Is it just that they are French? There has to be more than that, since we like DV and I think people will take to Musquin once he starts rollin.

What other European riders suffered the same fate in the US.?

By the way, I realize that JMB is now thought of in high regard, but back in the day not many people liked him much.
|
DownSouth
5/9/2011 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2011 6:01pm
It's all personality. Vuillemin is a very well liked Frenchman, and so was Roncada. JMB and Pourcel have odd personalities that don't make them as popular with the fans. There is nothing wrong with they carry themselves it just does not have wide appeal.

Plus JMB and CP were top level title threats to the American riders which as we see with Reed and Stewart make a large segment of the fans not like them simply because they can and will beat their favorite rider regardless of nationality.

Austrailia, New Zealand, South Africa, and England have produced many very popular riders in the US ranks.
5/9/2011 5:58pm
Tortelli,DV, Langston, Albertyn, Byrne, Roczen- all foreign and everybody welcomed them with open arms. It gets down to personality. JMB was a special case because we had no video interviews, moto radio and all the other stuff that shows a lot more of the riders' personalities today. You think Pourcel is an enigma- JMB was like the silent man. Back then the promoters played up the nationalistic rivalries too. Cheap hype.
Plus- a lot of the "hate" for JMB came from Supercross fans in the stadiums- the same people the boo a rider one minute and cheer him the next. Most moto fans I knew back then didn't hate Bayle,
machine
5/9/2011 6:26pm
Tortelli,DV, Langston, Albertyn, Byrne, Roczen- all foreign and everybody welcomed them with open arms. It gets down to personality. JMB was a special case because we...
Tortelli,DV, Langston, Albertyn, Byrne, Roczen- all foreign and everybody welcomed them with open arms. It gets down to personality. JMB was a special case because we had no video interviews, moto radio and all the other stuff that shows a lot more of the riders' personalities today. You think Pourcel is an enigma- JMB was like the silent man. Back then the promoters played up the nationalistic rivalries too. Cheap hype.
Plus- a lot of the "hate" for JMB came from Supercross fans in the stadiums- the same people the boo a rider one minute and cheer him the next. Most moto fans I knew back then didn't hate Bayle,
It seems like if the fans perceive a rider as pompous due to not being media friendly or quiet, the fans turn on them in a minute.

DV had some issues during the BOOKOO reality show days that he had to overcome as well.

I also think that if your from somewhere else, you had better show that you are humble or it's going to be a long road for you here in the sates.
5/9/2011 7:11pm
Pourcel’s TV interviews have no personality, a real cold fish…….He gives the US fans a “I am great” attitude (he’s not). His former GP racers who preceded him Tortelli, DV, Langston, Albertyn and now Roczen have real personality. Pourcel needs to at least give a shit and act like others are paying the bills (like us racers….duh). He comes off like we owe him something for having the privilege of racing in the best place in the world (USA). I think he needs to stay in the GP’s, I won’t buy anything he is selling and will go out of my way to tell others to avoid the noise.

Post a reply to: European Riders America Loves To Hate

The Latest