Euro exhausts at the USGP

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:46am
2 M Max systems

Is that a muffler or is your bike just glad to see me? These things are LONG!

The AMA is going to 2 M Max for 2012 and I have to believe most of the companies selling mufflers for AMA competition to pass 94 db will have to get larger to reach 2 M Max levels consistently. A few pass 2 M Max today but others have issues meeting 2 M Max due to the small volume their shorter mufflers have.
|
reded
5/23/2011 4:27pm
The Rock wrote:
[url=http://www.motonews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=424&Itemid=9&limit=1&limitstart=0]2 M Max systems[/url] Is that a muffler or is your bike just glad to see me? These things are LONG! The AMA is going to...
2 M Max systems

Is that a muffler or is your bike just glad to see me? These things are LONG!

The AMA is going to 2 M Max for 2012 and I have to believe most of the companies selling mufflers for AMA competition to pass 94 db will have to get larger to reach 2 M Max levels consistently. A few pass 2 M Max today but others have issues meeting 2 M Max due to the small volume their shorter mufflers have.
Is it fair to assume that this will most likely drive up the already ridiculous price tag for this hideous looking setup?
cpj36
5/23/2011 6:39pm
Great idea, spend more to make them quieter and slower. Sure is costing a hell of a lot to get us right back where we were on 2 stks, I was just getting used to the loud and the louder classes.

The 8K 450 for the 250 class is too fast and too loud so we should replace it with an 8K 350 that's too loud, less reliable, more expensive to maintain and not fast enough in the 450 class.

The way we're headed, one day someone will invent a bike that size for size makes more power, handles better, weighs less, cost less, and is quieter.
ocscottie
5/23/2011 6:45pm
We get their exhausts and they get our fuel for 2012. Chad said it sounded like they were racing vacuum cleaners.
tobz
5/23/2011 6:46pm
Like Reed says, the best in the world and they're restricted to vacuum cleaners. What a joke.

The Shop

cpj36
5/23/2011 7:03pm
reminds me of trying to understand what good an ipad is.
race
5/23/2011 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2011 7:24pm
Were any of you there at the USGP? No, they're not vacuum cleaners. And face it, a lower exhaust level is just good for the sport. Maybe a few less tracks will be closed.

I actually like the lower sound level but it's not dramatically lower. Just doesn't have that painful edge if you are up close when they go by. It's not like a back-firing, rev-limiting four-stroke is a thing of beauty to begin with.

If you want a bitchen sound get a smoker!
reded
5/23/2011 7:35pm
race wrote:
Were any of you there at the USGP? No, they're not vacuum cleaners. And face it, a lower exhaust level is just good for the sport...
Were any of you there at the USGP? No, they're not vacuum cleaners. And face it, a lower exhaust level is just good for the sport. Maybe a few less tracks will be closed.

I actually like the lower sound level but it's not dramatically lower. Just doesn't have that painful edge if you are up close when they go by. It's not like a back-firing, rev-limiting four-stroke is a thing of beauty to begin with.

If you want a bitchen sound get a smoker!
True story, they sound like shit to begin with, next year they'll just sound like a little less shit.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
5/23/2011 7:37pm
After 41 years of riding, racing, watching and enjoying dirt bikes a quiet exhaust is really nice.
DrSweden
5/23/2011 7:42pm
Yesterday some guys said, damn your bike is quiet (FMF 4.1 with quiet insert). Made me happy!

Newer go the point with loud bikes, but I newer got Harley riders either, I guess some needs to compensate for something. Wink
Tim507
5/23/2011 7:52pm
In the 70's it was less sound equals more ground...bringing that back is a good thingSmile
skidsteer16
5/23/2011 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2011 8:07pm
Totally on-board with this. I think it's funny Reed has a negative opinion of this after those legal issues he had with his own property last year...
reded
5/23/2011 8:01pm
DrSweden wrote:
Yesterday some guys said, damn your bike is quiet (FMF 4.1 with quiet insert). Made me happy! Newer go the point with loud bikes, but I...
Yesterday some guys said, damn your bike is quiet (FMF 4.1 with quiet insert). Made me happy!

Newer go the point with loud bikes, but I newer got Harley riders either, I guess some needs to compensate for something. Wink
I own a Harley and it is loud but not as loud as most due to my leaving the baffles in. I'm not always obeying the law so I don't need the extra attention that comes with the loud exhaust.

With that being said, I've ridden motorcycles all of my life and would WAAAAY rather hear a Harley go down the street than have to listen to the kids who gather in the woods a half mile from my house on their 4strokes for 3-4 hrs everyday. If it bothers me, imagine how the neighbors who hate motorcycles to begin with feel. I'm all for quieter bikes but not the higher pricetag that's sure to come with them.
500guy
5/23/2011 8:11pm
The real reason for the quiet exhaust is so they can blow our fucking ears out with shitty techno music and announcers non stop babble.
SoCalMX70
5/23/2011 8:14pm
I don't think the top level (PRO MX and SX) needs stricter sound limits. It's fine where it is.

I'm all for having stricter limits at local tracks and OHV parks. 94db, 92db, whatever, make it quieter!

Making it strict at the top level isn't going to change shit guys.... Everything BELOW that is where it counts.
Mstock
5/23/2011 8:18pm
They have track announcers during the moto's at the Nationals? Bullshit. I never heard one the past 8 years.
skidsteer16
5/23/2011 8:20pm
500guy wrote:
The real reason for the quiet exhaust is so they can blow our fucking ears out with shitty techno music and announcers non stop babble.
The only thing they're missing is free bottled water, pacifiers, and glow sticks...
SoCalMX70
5/23/2011 8:24pm
500guy wrote:
The only thing they're missing is free bottled water, pacifiers, and glow sticks...
I thought that was bad ass having that song on the starts. It had had this weird way of making the starts feel "epic"...
wet paint
5/23/2011 9:23pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I don't think the top level (PRO MX and SX) needs stricter sound limits. It's fine where it is. I'm all for having stricter limits at...
I don't think the top level (PRO MX and SX) needs stricter sound limits. It's fine where it is.

I'm all for having stricter limits at local tracks and OHV parks. 94db, 92db, whatever, make it quieter!

Making it strict at the top level isn't going to change shit guys.... Everything BELOW that is where it counts.
x2,,, I totally agree.
The Rock
5/23/2011 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2011 10:35pm
500guy wrote:
Actually the real reason is the Euros have even more land issues than the US has so they're trying to keep the few tracks they have open. For SX the reason for the push for quieter machines has been Feld's desire not to run into OSHA inssues for their employess/concessionaires.

Good responses in this thread. For sure the USGP bikes didn't sound like vacuum cleaners plus I don't expect exhaust retail prices to go up further becuase of 2 M Max. The people who have to go bigger to comply can't price themselves out of this market since some their competitors like FMF already comply today with existing technology.

FMF with their 4.1 RCT and Megabomb/Powerbomb combo pass 2 M Max easily.

Dr Sweden....I like that story!

reded-I feel you brother RE:if it bothers me imagine how..........
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
5/23/2011 11:03pm
Mstock wrote:
They have track announcers during the moto's at the Nationals? Bullshit. I never heard one the past 8 years.
Or at a Supercross the last 8 years either. The USGP is a way better noise level.
jamma10
5/24/2011 3:41am
Why anyone would question the purpose of introducing stricter sound regulations is pretty naive.

The GP bikes are NOT that quiet, a 'hoover' is an exaggeration of dramatic proportions - they still pop, bang and rasp loudly enough so you'll still get your manly fix of loud engines.

Obnoxiously loud exhausts are the cancer of our sport, over here in Europe especially. Bringing the GP/AMA technical specs inline is nothing but a good thing for the fans and the teams - not only will the knock on effect help reduce the threat of track closures for all of us, it also allows for a much easier GP/AMA cross over when the occasions arise.
Alex
5/24/2011 4:03am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2011 4:05am
People keep remarking how quiet my 2011 450 Honda is. The exhaust is massive but, I'm not looking for any extra power. I could do with some extra ground to ride on though! There's currently about 4 of my favorite tracks getting shut down at the moment with noise abatement orders. There's some confused logic with some people that this is somehow an issue of civil liberties and its not. If the FIM weren't pushing this issue and enforcing limits then my bike would be way louder, simple.

Motocross is peculiar in that the bike you buy off the showroom floor is essentially what Chad Reed rides and that's not the case in F1 or Nascar. It means the manufacturers make the standard bikes ready for top level racing and therefore if the sound level there is high the standard bikes will be ready for it. likewise if the DB level at the races is lowered the std bikes will come ready for that too. There will be no point in aftermarket pipe manufacturers building high DB systems that can never be competed with. This is the reason why I believe the top down regulations do and will work in motocross.
DrSweden
5/24/2011 6:11am
reded wrote:
I own a Harley and it is loud but not as loud as most due to my leaving the baffles in. I'm not always obeying the...
I own a Harley and it is loud but not as loud as most due to my leaving the baffles in. I'm not always obeying the law so I don't need the extra attention that comes with the loud exhaust.

With that being said, I've ridden motorcycles all of my life and would WAAAAY rather hear a Harley go down the street than have to listen to the kids who gather in the woods a half mile from my house on their 4strokes for 3-4 hrs everyday. If it bothers me, imagine how the neighbors who hate motorcycles to begin with feel. I'm all for quieter bikes but not the higher pricetag that's sure to come with them.
I agree, I owned a Harley as well, and I dig the sound of the twin, just like I dig the sound of a Ducati twin. But like you obviously I newer got the point with taking the baffles out (that's my beef)...
DrSweden
5/24/2011 6:20am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2011 6:22am
Alex wrote:
People keep remarking how quiet my 2011 450 Honda is. The exhaust is massive but, I'm not looking for any extra power. I could do with...
People keep remarking how quiet my 2011 450 Honda is. The exhaust is massive but, I'm not looking for any extra power. I could do with some extra ground to ride on though! There's currently about 4 of my favorite tracks getting shut down at the moment with noise abatement orders. There's some confused logic with some people that this is somehow an issue of civil liberties and its not. If the FIM weren't pushing this issue and enforcing limits then my bike would be way louder, simple.

Motocross is peculiar in that the bike you buy off the showroom floor is essentially what Chad Reed rides and that's not the case in F1 or Nascar. It means the manufacturers make the standard bikes ready for top level racing and therefore if the sound level there is high the standard bikes will be ready for it. likewise if the DB level at the races is lowered the std bikes will come ready for that too. There will be no point in aftermarket pipe manufacturers building high DB systems that can never be competed with. This is the reason why I believe the top down regulations do and will work in motocross.
I really dig the sound of the CRF450 as well. Powerful enough for 99,99%, but still quieter than a low power YZF250 01! Imagine that, some said it wasn't possible!

Nothing like seeing a fast guy ripping it up on a beat up sand track while riding a quiet bike. The others go up an down on their loads bikes, revs them up over 100 db on the small straights while the faster guys just surf on top of it all on low rev...

Makes me tic!

Da Rock, yeah, I'm a supporter of the cause, and I walk the talk! Smile
reded
5/24/2011 6:21am
reded wrote:
I own a Harley and it is loud but not as loud as most due to my leaving the baffles in. I'm not always obeying the...

DrSweden wrote:
I agree, I owned a Harley as well, and I dig the sound of the twin, just like I dig the sound of a Ducati twin...
I agree, I owned a Harley as well, and I dig the sound of the twin, just like I dig the sound of a Ducati twin. But like you obviously I newer got the point with taking the baffles out (that's my beef)...
I'm on board with ya. I think a lot of Harley riders have the misconception that loud equals fast.....go figure.
DL
5/24/2011 6:55am
6:30 AM every morning for the last few weeks a new ass-hat neighbor a block away wakes me up with his Harley with NO baffles. Gonna have a little talk with him. As for dirt bikes the FIM sound rule will go a long way in lessening the noise impact we have on non-riders. We have FIM legal systems being developed for most all bikes and yes they are longer and the performance is similar. It's all good IMHO. Funny thing is that the fuel rules adopted by the FIM is going to significantly drive up the cost. Some of the US teams are spending as much as $200 per gallon!
500guy
5/24/2011 8:19am
To think that quieter bikes at a professional level will help keep public lands open is absurd.

I walked over the bridge at Glen Helen and the Speakers were so loud I had to cover my ears, won't this cause land closures too ?
reded
5/24/2011 8:27am
500guy wrote:
To think that quieter bikes at a professional level will help keep public lands open is absurd. I walked over the bridge at Glen Helen and...
To think that quieter bikes at a professional level will help keep public lands open is absurd.

I walked over the bridge at Glen Helen and the Speakers were so loud I had to cover my ears, won't this cause land closures too ?
You may or may not have noticed but most often times the amateurs want their bikes to sound like the pros, if the pros get quiet the amateurs may take notice. I doubt we'll ever have a problem with the speakers being to loud at 99% of the amateur tracks around the country.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
5/24/2011 8:52am
500guy wrote:
To think that quieter bikes at a professional level will help keep public lands open is absurd. I walked over the bridge at Glen Helen and...

You're smarter than that.

The speakers will cause land closures when dirt bike enthusiasts begin running car stereo dB tests for hours on end while inside riding areas.

Post a reply to: Euro exhausts at the USGP

The Latest