Ethanol in Iowa: Good for motors?

bullpen658
Edited Date/Time 10/29/2013 10:58am
Just curious, but do you guys know much about the ethanol they sell at the pumps in Iowa (and I'm assuming other places)? Does it work well for mx? What is the octane? Just curious.
|
Fantasy
4478th
10/28/2013 7:19am
I asked a similar question in the past. This was the answer I got. I still use 92.

"Ethanol can be good if the engine was origianlly designed for it (valves, fuel system).
No MX bike today is designed for more than ~10% (typical pumps today). The 15~20%E is what's next. Beware of this!!!
Ethanol has a higher octane rating and cools the charge more than gas. It means up the compression ratio for more power and better use of fuel.

The problem is the energy density is about 25% lower than gasoline at the same compression ratio (set by gasoline). Meaning...worse fuel economy.

So, if you can find E0 (no ethanol blended) than buy it."
newmann
10/28/2013 7:22am
Be careful of the content and what you put it in. Lots of things have been ruined thanks to it. A customer of mine had an old Triumph flat tracker that he put back to street use and it had a fiberglass fuel tank on it. Got him some good high quality alky/gas and it dissolved the tank. Can't imagine having reconstituted polyester resin running through an engine would be a good thing.....Shocked
RVR
10/28/2013 7:32am
Sorry to high jack your post but I was wondering if there is a race or races going on in Iowa anytime soon? I'm in Iowa for a week or two and would swing by and hang out if they are close enough to me.
SEE ARE125
10/28/2013 8:09am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2013 8:13am
I never run the ethanol stuff. A few stations used to sell 100% gas in 93 Octane, but now more and more local gas stations are starting to sell 100% gas in all octanes. There's one station that doesn't even sell ethanol gas at all. I always buy it for everything. It's a more expensive, but my wife's car gets about 2-3 mpg better. After doing the math, in the end it comes out just a tad better than the ethanol gas as far as costs go. But it runs A LOT better on REAL gas as opposed to that ethanol crap. Most notable is throttle response.

The Shop

10/28/2013 8:12am
Ethanol is BS. Hard on fuel pumps, fuel lines and will gum up your carb in just a few months if you let it set.
Also there is less BTU's in the stuff. We also are subsidizing this inferior fuel.
Sandberm
10/28/2013 8:25am
Heres a website i use to find ethanol free gas stations
http://pure-gas.org/

This past spring i broke out a farm bike which had been sitting over the winter, about 4 or 5 months. Wouldnt start, took the float bowl off and in the bottom of the bowl and stuck in the jets was a clear/white jelly looking stuff. Ive never seen that before. I dont know if that was jelled ethanol or what.

The past 5 or 6 times Ive filled the tank on a couple of my pickups Ive been pumping the non ethanol 92 octane stuff. I might be getting 5% better gas mileage in one pu while the other is basically getting the same mileage. Neither runs any different. Ive concluded its not really worth the extra 60-75 cents per gallon.

I do run the non ethanol stuff in my boat as ethanol attracts moisture. I like to think it helps my mx bike perform better but I dont know. Also Ive switched over to non eth. in anything that might sit for awhile, like generators, motorcycles etc..
SEE ARE125
10/28/2013 8:41am
$0.60-$0.75 more?? WTF? Only like $.20 more here between the same octane gas.
Highsider
10/28/2013 8:45am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2013 8:53am
bullpen658 wrote:
Just curious, but do you guys know much about the ethanol they sell at the pumps in Iowa (and I'm assuming other places)? Does it work...
Just curious, but do you guys know much about the ethanol they sell at the pumps in Iowa (and I'm assuming other places)? Does it work well for mx? What is the octane? Just curious.
I don't believe it is just Iowa.
Within the past month my usual Missouri station have switched all pumps to ethanol blend only.

From Pure-gas:

5 Pure Gas Stations in California
ns503
10/28/2013 8:54am
Press Release

September 2013
The US Department Of Energy (DOE) released a study conducted by Michigan Technological University which was designed to evaluate the effects of E-15 fuel on current and legacy snowmobile engines and vehicles. Three test scenarios were conducted to evaluate the impact of E-15 including cold-start performance and emissions; snowmobile drivability; and laboratory exhaust emissions over the useful life of the engine. Eight engines were tested over a two year period. The vehicles were tested in the laboratory and on the trail in real life driving conditions.

The conclusion of the testing by the DOE is that E-15 fuel is NOT approved for snowmobile use. Observations made during the study support the US EPA’s decision to NOT APPROVE E-15 fuel for snowmobiles.

The testing was conducted since E-15 fuel is being introduced into the marketplace and is viewed by some as an important fuel enabling the United States to achieve the goals of the Reformulated Fuel Standard passed by the US Congress.

Ethanol is being produced throughout the United States. Ethanol producers use corn, switch grass, and other related plant products in the production of ethanol. It is the directive of the present administration that 13.8 Billion Gallons of ethanol be produced and distributed in the marketplace. The goal is challenging because US Gasoline consumption is declining rapidly.

Since it appears the E-15 fuel will be made more readily available throughout the United States, it is important that owners of snowmobiles and of other gas-powered products realize that E-15 fuel may impact on the various engines.

The 69 page study highlights that one of the key issues related to snowmobiles is that exhaust gas temperatures and muffler exit temperature consistently increase with the use of E-15 fuel. The increased temperatures range from 15 to 40 percent, depending on the vehicle. This rise in temperature occurs because of the leaner air – fuel mixture.

Since it has been recommended that E-15 not be approved for snowmobile use by the EPA, there is concern in the marketplace that mis-fueling of snowmobiles can occur. Recent surveys show that approximately 50% of all Americans fill up their portable gas tank or vehicles that they are towing with the same fuel used to fill their tow vehicle (car or truck). Also approximately 2/3 of all Americans say that they assume that any gas sold at a gas station is safe for all of their vehicles – including snowmobiles, generators, boats, etc. Approximately 50% of Americans check the fuel pumps for warning labels when filling up their vehicles.

With various fuels entering the marketplace, it is more important than ever that customers carefully read any and all labels on gas dispensing pumps and understand the guidance messages placed on those pumps.

It should be noted that E-85 fuel has been available in the marketplace for many years. E-85 is a blend of fuel which is designed to be used in flex-fuel equipped cars and trucks only. E-85 is 85% ethanol. It should NOT be confused with E-15 which is 15% ethanol. E-10 fuel is 10% ethanol and has been available and used throughout the United States for years and is approved for snowmobile use.

THE CONCLUSION OF THE TESTING BY THE DOE IS THAT E-15 FUEL IS NOT APPROVED FOR SNOWMOBILE USE.

The complete study is available online at www.nrel.gov/docs/fy13osti/60115.pdf.
f.
Sandberm
10/28/2013 8:57am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Yeah.

Last Wednesday the non ethanol 91 or 92 octane stuff was $4.18/gallon. If i remember right the blended gas was 3.44 or there-abouts. Pumping 15 gallons into my pu costs $11 more or 22% more....I'm not getting 22% better fuel economy with the straight gasUnsure

The fuel companies have quotas they have to meet each year in how much ethanol as a percentage of all fuel sold they have to meet. Last winter there were a few Conoco stations in town advertising non-ethanol gas and it was maybe 10 cents per gallon more if i remember right. They sold it for a couple/few months then it went away. When i would ask the clerks behind the counter inside the conoco gas/convenience store why they were not selling it anymore, they of course were clueless as to why.

I suppose once the gas companies meet their ethanol quota its a matter of figuring out whether its financially more profitable to sell straight gas or a gas/ethanol blend.

You people who hate the ethanol mandate should look no further then your farmer pals in the midwest. 40% of the corn acreage in this country goes in your gas tank.
Jack mehoff
10/28/2013 11:37am
Out here on the east coast it's worse , I have torn up 2 race car engines from the ethanol blend it sucks stay away from it , the higher the rpm the better chance you have off detonation
SEE ARE125
10/28/2013 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2013 12:50pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Sandberm wrote:
Yeah. Last Wednesday the non ethanol 91 or 92 octane stuff was $4.18/gallon. If i remember right the blended gas was 3.44 or there-abouts. Pumping 15...
Yeah.

Last Wednesday the non ethanol 91 or 92 octane stuff was $4.18/gallon. If i remember right the blended gas was 3.44 or there-abouts. Pumping 15 gallons into my pu costs $11 more or 22% more....I'm not getting 22% better fuel economy with the straight gasUnsure

The fuel companies have quotas they have to meet each year in how much ethanol as a percentage of all fuel sold they have to meet. Last winter there were a few Conoco stations in town advertising non-ethanol gas and it was maybe 10 cents per gallon more if i remember right. They sold it for a couple/few months then it went away. When i would ask the clerks behind the counter inside the conoco gas/convenience store why they were not selling it anymore, they of course were clueless as to why.

I suppose once the gas companies meet their ethanol quota its a matter of figuring out whether its financially more profitable to sell straight gas or a gas/ethanol blend.

You people who hate the ethanol mandate should look no further then your farmer pals in the midwest. 40% of the corn acreage in this country goes in your gas tank.
That's crazy! Premium gas here is $3.49 and the non-ethanol premium is $3.69. My wife's car(V8 SUV) gets 16mpg with the ethanol, but gets well into the 18s(18.6 last I checked) with the non-ethanol. That's hand calculated.

21 gallons of Premium w/ ethanol = $73.29 and goes 336 miles.
21 gallons of Premium w/out ethanol = $77.49 to go 388 miles.
So it costs $4.20 to go an extra 52 miles.
To go the extra 52 miles at 16mpg on ethanol gas, I'd have to buy another 3.25 gallons at $3.49, which equals $11.34.
So, in short, I'm saving $7.14 each fill up by buying non-ethanol gas.

I doubt I'd buy it with the huge gap in cost you have though. $4.18 is ridiculous. What happened to the $0.99/gal days?? Oh yeah, that was the 90s. lol
mcopsey
10/28/2013 4:04pm
Ethanol is BS. Hard on fuel pumps, fuel lines and will gum up your carb in just a few months if you let it set. Also...
Ethanol is BS. Hard on fuel pumps, fuel lines and will gum up your carb in just a few months if you let it set.
Also there is less BTU's in the stuff. We also are subsidizing this inferior fuel.
+1 to everything you posted. I will add, it takes as little as two weeks for things to get hard to start with this crap in the gas.

If you are in northern states treat every ounce of gas you get from October- April on with Star-Tron, it's the only thing I've seen work well enough to recommend.
Skerby
10/28/2013 4:06pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
That's crazy! Premium gas here is $3.49 and the non-ethanol premium is $3.69. My wife's car(V8 SUV) gets 16mpg with the ethanol, but gets well into...
That's crazy! Premium gas here is $3.49 and the non-ethanol premium is $3.69. My wife's car(V8 SUV) gets 16mpg with the ethanol, but gets well into the 18s(18.6 last I checked) with the non-ethanol. That's hand calculated.

21 gallons of Premium w/ ethanol = $73.29 and goes 336 miles.
21 gallons of Premium w/out ethanol = $77.49 to go 388 miles.
So it costs $4.20 to go an extra 52 miles.
To go the extra 52 miles at 16mpg on ethanol gas, I'd have to buy another 3.25 gallons at $3.49, which equals $11.34.
So, in short, I'm saving $7.14 each fill up by buying non-ethanol gas.

I doubt I'd buy it with the huge gap in cost you have though. $4.18 is ridiculous. What happened to the $0.99/gal days?? Oh yeah, that was the 90s. lol
I remember my dad bitching about 1.39 gas back in the mid nineties. lol
bigcat
10/28/2013 4:24pm
This is what ethanol does to a carb when stored for 4 months.
Socket946
10/28/2013 4:43pm
This is where Avgas takes the lead on shitty pump....
Lucifa.
10/28/2013 4:50pm
We have an ethanol breathing 965hp Sprintcar. First job on race day is to clean the injectors out.
Team Ideal
10/28/2013 5:23pm
our government subsidize ethanol, it has to be good for everything. you guys are crazy.

(sarcasm, just in case you didn't catch it) can't find "pure gas anywhere near us anymore so I now run a 50/50 on race fuel and 93. I tried to run one of our bikes on straight 93 on a long trip over the winter and it ran like crap. stopped at a local shop that had race fuel mixed it 50/50 and bike ran fine again.
CR500Rider
10/28/2013 11:05pm
Do not put ethanol laced fuel in a fiberglass gas tank!
Chains
10/29/2013 12:11am
We have been running the 93 ethanol in the 2 strokes for a long time with no problems.. Works great for us.

We always buy from the same station which is only a chip and putt away from my shop.
mynewcr250
10/29/2013 12:30am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2013 12:42am
Chains wrote:
We have been running the 93 ethanol in the 2 strokes for a long time with no problems.. Works great for us. We always buy from...
We have been running the 93 ethanol in the 2 strokes for a long time with no problems.. Works great for us.

We always buy from the same station which is only a chip and putt away from my shop.
same here. no problems what so ever. no treatments, no fuel additives, just gas/premix and go. my bike has been sitting for 2 months now due to injury, not worried in the slightest.

im sure others have had problems, but over here, ive yet to experience ANY of these claims.

to answer you thread topic question: i dont think its GOOD for engines, but i dont think its as evil as "internet experts" make it out to be.
Spagina767
10/29/2013 4:14am
Ive noticed that since i have had to buy ethanol gas (cant find 100% gasoline where im at), my wifes carb gums up if her 250f isnt started at least every 1.5 weeks or so. without fail, if we go 2-3 weeks without riding, her bike will start and run fine but it will have a serious bog to it. ill pull the main jet out, and it will be all gummed up. every damn time.

also, i had a cr 250 last year that liked to knock and detonate when i was running ethanol gas. when i lived in PA i could find 100% gasoline, and when i did, it ran fine.

i was told that the 10%E mix has a harder time mixing with pre-mix... any truth to that?

in my harley, and my FE 450 i havent had any issues.
blusmbl
10/29/2013 5:33am
E10 has a .6 lower stoich point. You can't swap between E10 and E0 and expect the bike to run the same. You have to jet up slightly on E10. It has the same octane, but if you don't change the jets it will be running leaner, which leads to higher combustion temps and the chance of detonation.
10/29/2013 9:40am
newmann wrote:
Be careful of the content and what you put it in. Lots of things have been ruined thanks to it. A customer of mine had an...
Be careful of the content and what you put it in. Lots of things have been ruined thanks to it. A customer of mine had an old Triumph flat tracker that he put back to street use and it had a fiberglass fuel tank on it. Got him some good high quality alky/gas and it dissolved the tank. Can't imagine having reconstituted polyester resin running through an engine would be a good thing.....Shocked
yup, did a number on a friend's Dresda tank too
krooner33
10/29/2013 10:58am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2013 10:59am
I live on the MN, IA border and from what I remember the 87 in Iowa is E-0 but the 89 is E-10, that's why it's cheaper. I've never seen a pump in IA with any higher than 89 but If they're 91 is like MN some pumps are E-10 some are E-0 and they are labeled "non-oxygenated". But be careful if it's a multi grade pump with one hose, you can get up to 3 gal. of whatever the last person pumped... Ruined my street trackers glass tank that way too. I've also seen ethanol do quite a number on fuel lines and other rubber parts. I wouldn't suggest running it if at all possible.

Post a reply to: Ethanol in Iowa: Good for motors?

The Latest