Equipment US vs World

ga_pike
Edited Date/Time 9/30/2014 6:07pm
Forgive my ignorance. I know there is a production rule in the US series, is there one for MXGP? How similar is the equipment? I seem to remember back in 1987 that Hannah rode a very works level 125 at the MXDN held at Unadilla (not that it mattered in the mud).

I'm curious how similar the bikes the US team rides are compared to the Euros. Not that it would have mattered for the results, but it would be interesting to know.
|
Crush
9/29/2014 2:43pm
Well... Reed reckons his RMZ in 09 was quite a bit heavier than Ramons (Strijbos') bike... I'm not gonna quoute the pounds cause I got that wrong before but it was a lot, 14? 16?... And I've read Van Horebeek's Yamaha is redonkulously light.... 103kgs or some shit.

That's a lot of poundage to carry extra over a moto, and even more over the weekend.
9/29/2014 2:47pm
And then Moss gets a Factory bike for the weekend, and without the benefit of set up time, its his worst ride of the year.
jeffro503
9/29/2014 2:52pm
The GP guys and riders from Japan itself.....get some extremity trick , ultra light stuff. To many rules here which prevent our riders from using that stuff. Mostly weight saving stuff. I don't know the full details on it , but maybe someone else can fill us in. I just know they get some really cool shit.

The Shop

9/29/2014 2:57pm
I read somewhere Reed was saying the GP bikes were slow compared to the US ones because of the different fuel but the GP bikes are more exotic. I know I would prefer to ride a slower but more exotic bike any day of the week.
davistld01
9/29/2014 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 2:59pm
And then Moss gets a Factory bike for the weekend, and without the benefit of set up time, its his worst ride of the year.
Jump on a factory bike setup for somebody else that may be taller, shorter, heavier, lighter, faster or slower than you are, with a completely different riding style & with no time to get things comfortable for you...and you'll find yourself fighting the bike all over the track. From what Reed said in his interview with Mathes, that's what happed to Mossy.
steed 2.0
9/29/2014 2:58pm
jeffro503 wrote:
The GP guys and riders from Japan itself.....get some extremity trick , ultra light stuff. To many rules here which prevent our riders from using that...
The GP guys and riders from Japan itself.....get some extremity trick , ultra light stuff. To many rules here which prevent our riders from using that stuff. Mostly weight saving stuff. I don't know the full details on it , but maybe someone else can fill us in. I just know they get some really cool shit.
9/29/2014 3:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
The GP guys and riders from Japan itself.....get some extremity trick , ultra light stuff. To many rules here which prevent our riders from using that...
There was a picture on here of a Honda of one of the Japanese riders, it had some buttons next to the clutch lever and what looked like an oil cooler.
9/29/2014 3:00pm
Like muscle milk said

Reed once said the AMA bikes were rocketships compared to GP bikes but GP bikes were easier to adjust to and didnt require as much fine tuning

As for the MXON, each team built there bike like every other team did. Whatever the rules were, every country maxed them out.
Crush
9/29/2014 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 3:03pm
In the world of 250s/450s and a really really full weeknd of racing tho, what would you rather?

15-20 less pounds and 5 less horsepower or the other way around?

Not even a question for me. Did you see any ama bikes outdrag the GP bikes?
9/29/2014 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 3:13pm
Crush wrote:
In the world of 250s/450s and a really really full weeknd of racing tho, what would you rather? 15-20 less pounds and 5 less horsepower or...
In the world of 250s/450s and a really really full weeknd of racing tho, what would you rather?

Is this another excuse man?

The bikes weigh the same because USA and all the europe guys built there bikes to the MXON rules, whatever they are.

Trust me USA has enough expirience with the MXON and know how to set there bikes up for that weekend. Same with every other country!

This all makes me laugh because anytime other than this "the bike means less than 15%" or "its all the rider not what ur on"

all the bikes at that level are so amazing who gives a crap. USA got beat, straight up. And the bikes had nothing to do with it except dungey being stuck in 2nd gear.
41NDT
9/29/2014 3:15pm
I always look at as the GP bikes are today's "Works" bikes and the AMA bikes are factory bikes but still unobtainable
Adam43
9/29/2014 3:18pm
Crush wrote:
In the world of 250s/450s and a really really full weeknd of racing tho, what would you rather? 15-20 less pounds and 5 less horsepower or...

No "AMA bikes" at MXDN, all run the Euro-spec fuel.
Crush
9/29/2014 3:18pm
Who's writing excuses dickhead?

Did I say a rider complained? No.

Did I say a rider said his bike was lighter? Yes.

And then I offered my opinion on what i'd prefer. That's all. I mean really, what the fuck difference does it make to me down here if America loses. Please. Shut the fuck up.
Olson
9/29/2014 3:19pm
Didn't Dungey have De Dyckers bike as a back up bike? So at least he had the same options.

And traction control, mapping switch and oil coolers are allowed in AMA too. Big difference is they are allowed to change the frame in the GPs. Main and sub.
9/29/2014 3:28pm
Crush wrote:
Who's writing excuses dickhead? Did I say a rider complained? No. Did I say a rider said his bike was lighter? Yes. And then I offered...
Who's writing excuses dickhead?

Did I say a rider complained? No.

Did I say a rider said his bike was lighter? Yes.

And then I offered my opinion on what i'd prefer. That's all. I mean really, what the fuck difference does it make to me down here if America loses. Please. Shut the fuck up.
You seem make something up every post about different reason USA maybe lost, hell you havent even mentioned team AUS in any of ur posts.

Your simply making excuses.

Pretty much saying European riders had the upper hand with there equiptment.
Crush
9/29/2014 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 3:40pm
Mate if you can't read properly then that is your issue.

It's a fact that the euro bikes are lighter and have less power. That's coming straight from their mouths.

All I said is i'd rather ride a slightly lighter and less powerful bike. Fuck, I have a 350 for that exact reason.

Whatever hatred you have for your southern neighbours has nothing to do with any factual statement i've written. That's your comprehension and personal bias. While we're at it, what else have I made up or what "excuses" have I put forward? I haven't put any excuses forward at all, and I've got no interest to do so... Dummy.

Actually after re-reading your post, why am I even talking about comprehension, you can't even string a proper sentence together.
9/29/2014 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 3:52pm
Crush wrote:
Mate if you can't read properly then that is your issue. It's a fact that the euro bikes are lighter and have less power. That's coming...
Mate if you can't read properly then that is your issue.

It's a fact that the euro bikes are lighter and have less power. That's coming straight from their mouths.

All I said is i'd rather ride a slightly lighter and less powerful bike. Fuck, I have a 350 for that exact reason.

Whatever hatred you have for your southern neighbours has nothing to do with any factual statement i've written. That's your comprehension and personal bias. While we're at it, what else have I made up or what "excuses" have I put forward? I haven't put any excuses forward at all, and I've got no interest to do so... Dummy.

Actually after re-reading your post, why am I even talking about comprehension, you can't even string a proper sentence together.
I dont have hate toward the USA, i put money on team USA to win, and they were my favourite team. When they didnt win, i payed up and didnt make an excuse, but rather congradulated france.

People like you make me mad because team USA themselves said no excuses but guys like you in every post are saying "jet leg" or "bikes not as good" or whatever other bullshit makes semi sence..

If you looked at my posts from 1-2 months ago i was betting everyone USA will win, well they didnt, and i admitted i was wrong.

And BTW what makes you think USA didnt build there bike like a euro bike for the MXON?
Crush
9/29/2014 4:06pm
Ok.

So let me get this straight. You say I'm not even talking about team Australia (BTW, I referenced Reed and not caring who wins as an Aussie). But as a Canadian, the USA is your favourite team and you bet on them to win. Ok.

You can't spell congratulated. Or sense. Or use a hyphen in a made up word.

If you read my posts regarding jet leg, as you call it, you'll see they were all with the disclaimer of "I don't know if he is" or "if that is the case" because the riders themselves hadn't said anything about it. Another poster had said it might be a concern... And another saying it doesn't affect him getting up early to watch a race so there is no reason it should effect an athlete's performance. Which is complete horse-shit. Why the fuck would they go early then? Why not fly into the race the day of? Yeah that's why, because it's bullshit.

And did I say the USA bikes didn't build their bikes? No I didn't. In fact, I have no fucking clue if they did or didn't. I'd bet money you don't either. Team KTM, Geico Honda and Yamaha would be the only people who could tell you that. If I had to bet, I'd say they don't do much except fuel and sound mods, because the race is already costing them a lot, and theoretically removing a lot of weight would be a handling and suspension concern.

All I said is that given the choice, and based on Reed's comments a few years ago, where he said there is a huge weight difference, that I'd rather a lighter and less powerful bike over a weekends racing. For obvious fucking reasons, all of which seems to be lost on your ingenious mind.

Please come back with some more insightful intelligent babble. You're making yourself look like a fool, I'm happy to keep highlighting it.
BroFoSho
9/29/2014 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 4:10pm
I am going to call BS on the euro bikes weighing less than the American's

I remember at the 2010 des nations, Andrew Short's Honda failing tech inspection because it came in under weight.
Crush
9/29/2014 4:13pm
BroFoSho wrote:
I am going to call BS on the euro bikes weighing less than the American's I remember at the 2010 des nations, Andrew Short's Honda failing...
I am going to call BS on the euro bikes weighing less than the American's

I remember at the 2010 des nations, Andrew Short's Honda failing tech inspection because it came in under weight.
I've not read or seen it anywhere tho obviously possible... Reed's comments were quoted quite a bit at the time about the RMZ... and in fact he's also said the stock and works hondas were quite a bit lighter too when he made that switch. Metty too when he went from Geico to Factory Yellow. Maybe the Honda's are close.
9/29/2014 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 4:38pm
Crush wrote:
Ok. So let me get this straight. You say I'm not even talking about team Australia (BTW, I referenced Reed and not caring who wins as...
Ok.

So let me get this straight. You say I'm not even talking about team Australia (BTW, I referenced Reed and not caring who wins as an Aussie). But as a Canadian, the USA is your favourite team and you bet on them to win. Ok.

You can't spell congratulated. Or sense. Or use a hyphen in a made up word.

If you read my posts regarding jet leg, as you call it, you'll see they were all with the disclaimer of "I don't know if he is" or "if that is the case" because the riders themselves hadn't said anything about it. Another poster had said it might be a concern... And another saying it doesn't affect him getting up early to watch a race so there is no reason it should effect an athlete's performance. Which is complete horse-shit. Why the fuck would they go early then? Why not fly into the race the day of? Yeah that's why, because it's bullshit.

And did I say the USA bikes didn't build their bikes? No I didn't. In fact, I have no fucking clue if they did or didn't. I'd bet money you don't either. Team KTM, Geico Honda and Yamaha would be the only people who could tell you that. If I had to bet, I'd say they don't do much except fuel and sound mods, because the race is already costing them a lot, and theoretically removing a lot of weight would be a handling and suspension concern.

All I said is that given the choice, and based on Reed's comments a few years ago, where he said there is a huge weight difference, that I'd rather a lighter and less powerful bike over a weekends racing. For obvious fucking reasons, all of which seems to be lost on your ingenious mind.

Please come back with some more insightful intelligent babble. You're making yourself look like a fool, I'm happy to keep highlighting it.
Im fine making some spelling mistakes because im 15 oh and this is the internet not everyone is an english teacher.

Anyways

No, USA is my favourite team with a chance of winning, Canada is my favourite team.

Stewarts my favourite rider so maybe if he was on the team, or allowed to race in the des nations my opinions would be a bit different

But from a spectators point of view it would make alot of sense for the teams to try give there riders an upper hand so no i dont think that they brought bikes that weighed 15-20 pounds more than the euro bikes.

But anyways were arguing over a dead horse here, France won and nothing will change that. Next year maybe we can see USA on top again only time will tell. Unti then we can only speculate.
kiwifan
9/29/2014 4:44pm
It would actually be interesting to have a modern Euro vs USA 'works' bike comparison, I dont doubt Reed's comment although they are a couple of years old about the RMZ, so things might of well changed.
Fearo
9/30/2014 12:26am
What it mainly comes down to is that GP bikes can have altered frames and swingarms, with different thicknesses, materials (carbon), flex characteristics, etc... This might yield a 1% difference in comfort but that would be it. On the other hand, we have stricter sound and fuel regulations in Europe, so we obviously lose some power there.

I have no doubt that the Euro and AMA bikes are quite a bit different, but that's because the racing and tracks are entirely different. To say that one bike is "better" than the other would be nonsense in my eyes. The days where "works" bikes only shared about 10% with a production bikes are long over, as the production bikes of nowadays have come so far.
pmcc
9/30/2014 1:42am
In 2010 I think Fim brought in a minimum weight limit
Crush
9/30/2014 2:24am
The 450 limit is 99 kgs or 220 pounds

250 is 95kg.

These have a 1% tolerance after a race so that's oil and some or little fuel then. Or semi dry.

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/2013_Motocross_Tech_rules.pdf brought in in 10 or 11 by looks of it.

A stock rmz is listed as 113 wet by Suzuki. Who knows if that's legit. Assuming it is and fuel weight equal to water, (is it?) that's 7.2kgs from 113. So call it 106 semi dry if true...

So there is a window of 12-14 pounds give or take from minimum to stock. Sure Newman or someone could guesstimate what a full ti kit drops, ti exhaust and trimmed plastics all drop something... but aftermarket wheels aren't lighter, some factory teams have mag hubs still but heavy duty rims... Anything billet is often more than cast unless for some crazy machining... Light seat and battery or starter if a pumpkin...
wow123
9/30/2014 4:10am
Crush wrote:

yeah but you're a wooduck and own the nearest thing to that anywayLaughing
Jeff alessi
9/30/2014 4:51am
There are guys with some trick stuff in Europe, some of it works and some of it's for show like the Kawi with a shock along the bottom of the frame. What you don't see killing us is the years and years of developing a sand set up that these individual euro riders have evolved into having, they have there bikes tuned right and you can see it in there confidence and style. our biggest issue is that our riders go over to these sand tracks and struggle! there expected to get a good set up on the 2 practice days they get on a smooth prepped sand track that's nothing like the race, I would assume all our riders didnt have there set up on point like they can do at a track back home. Tomac looked pretty good but he muscled his way around that track and made it happen, both rd and jm were working around that track to make it work and you can only do that so long before you blow up mentally and physically. I remember my dad telling me when Kroc races at lommel he came to the race and used his exact set up he had before he left Europe, he did not attempt to use his US set up because it wouldn't of worked so he just struck to his old set up that he knew worked and he won it for Germany, that has to hold some value. I don't think dungeys bike was stuck in second gear cause you wouldn't be able to jump the big table or triple down on that track, hell I doubt other then the tight turn before the triple down that your ever down in second gear cause you would go no where in that sand.
Grizz
9/30/2014 5:06am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2014 5:08am
jeffro503 wrote:
There was a picture on here of a Honda of one of the Japanese riders, it had some buttons next to the clutch lever and what...
There was a picture on here of a Honda of one of the Japanese riders, it had some buttons next to the clutch lever and what looked like an oil cooler.
This probably isn't what you're talking about, but shiiiiit look at this thing.

Crush
9/30/2014 5:15am
Crush wrote:

wow123 wrote:
yeah but you're a wooduck and own the nearest thing to that anywayLaughing
Have you ridden a 350? Great bike. I'd argue being sold a 450 that you can't ride anywhere near potential is the silly sell mate.

Post a reply to: Equipment US vs World

The Latest