Enduro bikes for MX

Ridelow
Fantasy
251st
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2017 2:31am
Just trying to tap into the unlimited knowledge of the Vitard community Wink

Im thinking of getting a Enduro bike with license plates. I have a couple of tracks close (0,5 km to the closest) but the hassle of loading everything up and driving is cutting into my seat time, since I cannot braap from the garage to the track.

So im going to buy a bike with license plates as my second.... errr.... third bike... The choice is between the Husky FE /Ktm EXC-F 450 or the Honda CRF 450RX..

Since im mostly a track guy I would like to know how the Xplor forks/shock work on a track compared to the AER.. Also, KTM's use the PDS still but husky has a linkage.. My 2002 KTM250SXS had the PDS and I hated that bike apart from the engine.

I dont know much about the Honda 450RX but is this a better starting point for a MX bike with plates?

I will be riding some trails as well but main focus is on MX..

Any advice? my local dealer sells all three bikes.

|
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
10/6/2017 1:40am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 1:47am
I have the 2014 KTM 300 XC and in 5 minutes, remove the light on front put the number plate back on the front, and go lapping 4 strokes just for fun.

If your a motcross guy, then you will appreciate the close gear box and the linkage moto feel in the rear as you mention when back on the track. I could never get a wide range enduro bike to feel right on a motocross track. I've converted 3 of my friend from 4 strokes to 300 2 stroke by just letting them ride my bike for few miles.

Then I love putting back on the enduro light and lisc. plate and hit the pavement to get to my favorite trail head. Having a plate really opens up your options trail riding, special if you want cut out early to the road and take the easy back if your tired or have a problem with the bike.

Suspension is a very broad topic.. how tall are you, what weight? I've always been able to tame a bike for for my preference through springs and valving. I almost recommend this to all track riders for the sure safety of it. You have to tame your beast for your weight so Bertha does not buck you off.

Just waiting for them to send over the 300 TPI XC's!!! 2019???

P.S. I through in some american slang just to f with you! Wink
skypig
10/6/2017 1:50am
The suspension requirements are poles apart.
As mentioned the WR gearboxes are not right. (Hardest to fix)
Power delivery is softer on off roaders. Often detuned with cams/valve size/etc.

Replacing lights with number plates makes them look like MX bikes......

(I find MX bikes horrid to ride on most trails, for most of the above reasons - horses for courses.)
JMX82
10/6/2017 2:00am
As others already said the biggest problem is that Enduro model gear box ratios suck on motocross track. Suspension can be tuned for motocross use by local suspension shop but getting gear ratios that work on motocross tracks requires you to get gear box gears from mx model gearbox and replace enduro model gears with them.
ratonmacias
10/6/2017 4:49am
Ridelow wrote:
Just trying to tap into the unlimited knowledge of the Vitard community ;) Im thinking of getting a Enduro bike with license plates. I have a...
Just trying to tap into the unlimited knowledge of the Vitard community Wink

Im thinking of getting a Enduro bike with license plates. I have a couple of tracks close (0,5 km to the closest) but the hassle of loading everything up and driving is cutting into my seat time, since I cannot braap from the garage to the track.

So im going to buy a bike with license plates as my second.... errr.... third bike... The choice is between the Husky FE /Ktm EXC-F 450 or the Honda CRF 450RX..

Since im mostly a track guy I would like to know how the Xplor forks/shock work on a track compared to the AER.. Also, KTM's use the PDS still but husky has a linkage.. My 2002 KTM250SXS had the PDS and I hated that bike apart from the engine.

I dont know much about the Honda 450RX but is this a better starting point for a MX bike with plates?

I will be riding some trails as well but main focus is on MX..

Any advice? my local dealer sells all three bikes.

They Honda has the same gearbox and suspensiion components as its mx model. Just get rid of the enduro tank and moto away. If its too soft just set up the shock and forks for mx. You cant compare an xplor fork vs an almost kit showa.

The Shop

RCF
10/6/2017 5:14am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 5:17am
If you go with a KTM you can even plate the sx model the XC might be a better option though you would have one extra gear for on the road and it already has lighting coil, the xc-w models wouldn't be very good on the MX track those bikes are designed for slow technical riding old school Hare Scramble.
KTM and husky are also easier to plate then Japanese bikes they come with clean titles they don't say for off-road use only
Ridelow
Fantasy
251st
10/6/2017 6:33am
Thanks for the feedback.

So the consensus is that the CRF450RX is a better starting point than the Austrian brands with the MX gearing and just need to stiffen up the suspension to be able to enjoy it on a track?

I am currently on a Suzuki 450 with full tuned Öhlins setup which I love!

To bad I cannot demo the bikes before..

Yeah and another thing.. how is the 300 2stroke on a track? I have a 2008 KX250 as well and enjoy it but I usually end up riding the 4stroke..
10/6/2017 6:36am
To lazy to load up to ride.. I don’t think using an enduro bike is to enjoyable on the track especially if it has all lights, plate and stuff.
Johnny Depp
10/6/2017 6:37am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 6:39am
Enduro bikes are not your father's Buick Park Avenue. Underneath they are essentially the same bikes. If you put them on the track at the same time, and record lap times you will see it's the rider, not the bike.

Forget the PDS for MX, it feels dead on jump faces, no lift.
The closed vs. open cartridge fork thing is way over rated, a good tuner can make either one great, if you are A level get the CC .
Having a suspension setup work for MX and Off road is not difficult, springs and setup will get you there.

Close ratio gearboxes are also over rated, many top MX riders are keeping their bikes a gear high and lugging for better results. The Alta with no gearbox or clutch is a good example of how less shifting can be a big benefit.

Steel frames have advantages in comfort and hard pack.

The KTM and Husky's have a reputation for needing remapping in the US. You might want to consider the XC models if you can get them since they are not emission tuned.

The Beta is a viable alternative.
Ridelow
Fantasy
251st
10/6/2017 6:54am
To lazy to load up to ride.. I don’t think using an enduro bike is to enjoyable on the track especially if it has all lights...
To lazy to load up to ride.. I don’t think using an enduro bike is to enjoyable on the track especially if it has all lights, plate and stuff.
Well basically, I ride about 3 times a week, but loading up bikes, gear and driving a car 0,3 miles, unloading for a quick afternoon session and then do the same is not ideal Tongue
My intention is to have a bike I can just jump on and go spin some laps whenever the urge hits..

Maybe I should just go with the Husky 450, slap some cone valve and trax shock on it and call it the day Wink
Johnny Depp
10/6/2017 7:04am
Of the 3 you mentioned, the Husky would be my choice. If you could bolt on Cone valves and Trax you would have a bucket list bike right there. I guess you can't plate the Suzuki?

You mentioned 2 strokes, they are very viable. Beta is leading the EnduroGP's on a 300 2t against all types of engines and if you kept up with the last race at Hawkstone Park it had no problem running up front on the MX course. You can even get one with oil injection if you want to get further away from the truck and garage. 2 strokes are especially desired for their light weight if you go extreme enduro riding.

ruy
10/6/2017 7:06am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 7:18am

I have an enduro to do MX. KTM EXC 300 2012
The good displacement for me is the 300 2 strokes, the engine is softer than the cross and allows me to take better advantage of it.
Suspensions, front needs to put closed cartridges, and on the rear shock you have to take it to a preparer and tune it. as standard enduro suspensions are too soft and bouncy.
The odometer has to be removed, as it is expensive, and breaks with jumps and bumps, and put an hour count.
Back I put a quick and easy connection to be able to connect and disconnect the rear lights better.
Sometimes light bulbs melt and break by doing MX
When it comes to selling, it sells much better than an MX.
ruy
10/6/2017 7:14am

And then it allows me to circulate and do enduro.

walleyeguy
10/6/2017 7:33am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 7:37am
I just posted this in another thread. Look at the fx350 I plated mine for about $500after I bought the tusk lighting kit through Rockymountainatc.com for $200 and a trail tech speedo for $80 an LED headlight off amazon for $40 and got my stator from Rickystator for $200 to run the extra lights. I took it the mx track for the first time this weekend and it was every bit as good "fun" as my 14 yz250f. I would not go with the FE myself because of all the "detuning" that is on the FE.
Johnny Depp
10/6/2017 10:34am
A do it all bike is realistic for having fun. Swap wheel sets or not, take off the lights or not. Drive it to work, or line up and race. It's all good.

Ridelow
Fantasy
251st
10/6/2017 1:37pm
wow thanks for the feedback, goodstuff!

@Mr. Depp : No I cant plate it, as I know of, its bought in Norway new and is located in Southern Spain now. Dang I need to get a demobike of the new ktm 300 and see what the fuss is about, My KX250 wears me out too fast compared to my way to pimped out Suzuki. but then again, its more of a project bike.

@Ruy: Where are you located? I live in Tarifa, the most southern point.. looks like u got some nice riding areas around!

@walleyeguy: The FX is unfortunately not sold in Europe as I know of. That would be an awesome alternative.

How "detuned" is the FE and EXC-F line compared to the MX brothers? Is it just gearing/mapping and the silencer or is there something else?

Saludos and thanks again!

peelout
10/6/2017 1:44pm
if you don't have a kickstand then f*ck you
Timo_2824
10/6/2017 1:55pm
I moto my WR and surprise a lot of people with it. It is basically a YZF with a kickstand and lights...
ruy
10/6/2017 2:09pm
@Ridelow I am in Galicia, but I think you have good areas for enduro and also good MX tracks in Andalucia
Berni
10/6/2017 2:46pm
Ridelow wrote:
wow thanks for the feedback, goodstuff! @Mr. Depp : No I cant plate it, as I know of, its bought in Norway new and is located...
wow thanks for the feedback, goodstuff!

@Mr. Depp : No I cant plate it, as I know of, its bought in Norway new and is located in Southern Spain now. Dang I need to get a demobike of the new ktm 300 and see what the fuss is about, My KX250 wears me out too fast compared to my way to pimped out Suzuki. but then again, its more of a project bike.

@Ruy: Where are you located? I live in Tarifa, the most southern point.. looks like u got some nice riding areas around!

@walleyeguy: The FX is unfortunately not sold in Europe as I know of. That would be an awesome alternative.

How "detuned" is the FE and EXC-F line compared to the MX brothers? Is it just gearing/mapping and the silencer or is there something else?

Saludos and thanks again!

Hey, I live in Marbella, pretty close to tarifa.... For the type of tracks that we have around. I am sure that an enduro bike is good enough for anyone.....

Beside the bike..... Are there any good trails in Tarifa to ride enduro?. I Know in San Roque and in Medina Sidonia there are a lot of places to ride, but dont know about Tarifa.

And if you want to know my neck of the woods, look for me on facebook: bernardo.guerreromarquez
Johnny Depp
10/6/2017 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 5:32pm
Ridelow,

"Dang I need to get a demobike of the new ktm 300" Again you can't get the XC, check out the Husky for linkage.

"How "detuned" is the FE and EXC-F line compared to the MX brothers? Is it just gearing/mapping and the silencer or is there something else? " Not really much, you can easily get the Euro map, not sure it may come with it.
brash
10/6/2017 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 5:35pm
I had an 09 TE450 that I set up for Mx. The forks took a lot of trial and error to get right but the sachs shock was surprisingly good just needed heavier spring. That engine made stupid amounts of power and had a very unique sound. I really enjoyed it but it got tiring very quick when you compared it to a modern 450MX bike.

I could race that bad boy on sunday and legally ride it to work the next day Smile

ama530
10/6/2017 7:19pm
walleyeguy wrote:
I just posted this in another thread. Look at the fx350 I plated mine for about $500after I bought the tusk lighting kit through Rockymountainatc.com for...
I just posted this in another thread. Look at the fx350 I plated mine for about $500after I bought the tusk lighting kit through Rockymountainatc.com for $200 and a trail tech speedo for $80 an LED headlight off amazon for $40 and got my stator from Rickystator for $200 to run the extra lights. I took it the mx track for the first time this weekend and it was every bit as good "fun" as my 14 yz250f. I would not go with the FE myself because of all the "detuning" that is on the FE.
FX350 here also. Best of both worlds in this bike. Super light feeling and has plenty of HP. I do both scrambles and moto. I did go down to a 13T front sprocket for tight stuff here in PA. It actually helped with moto also to keep the rpms a little higher in corners. With the wide ratio 6 speed, you don't have to worry about top end. Top end is ridiculous. I can ride this bike longer and faster than I could the RMZs I raced for the last 9 years. If you get it plated up you have a smoking dual sport. The FE model is a great off road bike but I don't think I would moto with it. Sherco & Beta are fantastic choices also.
wildbill
10/6/2017 7:36pm
Apparently, MXGP bros use enduro suspension so I think you're on to something.
Crush
10/6/2017 7:47pm
FWIW, my KTM 300 was easier to ride with the stock silencer on it than the PC one, on track and off-road. The suspension was never perfect for MX, it just felt soft, but it wasn't bad, and certainly worse was my KTM 350 suspension in the sticks.

Google Johnny Walker or Mathew Philips, they shred moto on their enduro bikes with PDS pretty regularly. 100% those bikes can do both!
HenryA
10/7/2017 2:30am
You will hate everything enduro related on the MX track if you're on a RMZ with full Öhlins setup today. And remember that you need insurance if you're riding on the road. And lights, license plate, indicators,horn etc..
The road/asphalt will EAT your tires and you will also stack up the engine hours = no bueno.

I would get a cheap Skoda pick-up or a Vw Caddy and load the bike on the back of it. You will load the bike in 2-3 minutes, you could carry more fuel, tools and spare parts. And since they are so cheap you really don't need to bother about it getting a few scratches here and there.
Motofinne
10/7/2017 2:34am
HenryA wrote:
You will hate everything enduro related on the MX track if you're on a RMZ with full Öhlins setup today. And remember that you need insurance...
You will hate everything enduro related on the MX track if you're on a RMZ with full Öhlins setup today. And remember that you need insurance if you're riding on the road. And lights, license plate, indicators,horn etc..
The road/asphalt will EAT your tires and you will also stack up the engine hours = no bueno.

I would get a cheap Skoda pick-up or a Vw Caddy and load the bike on the back of it. You will load the bike in 2-3 minutes, you could carry more fuel, tools and spare parts. And since they are so cheap you really don't need to bother about it getting a few scratches here and there.
This^
Bearuno
10/7/2017 4:21am
peelout wrote:
if you don't have a kickstand then f*ck you
Well, if You don't have a Center Stand, then double Fuck You!!!!

Just kidding. I looked over to my welding / linishing bay here in my workshop, and spotted the stainless steel center stand I made for one of my XR / CR hybrids before the 92 Six Day here in OZ. Your comment made me finally take it down and take a few pictures - it was a complicated thing, to clear the AMP Torque Eliminator (that's what the chain roller and 'gull winged' cross bracing is for, to get the arms right up into the side covers / subframe - as the lower chain line is lower than std with the AMP T.E.) I used at the time, and made out of very thin walled (it is lighter than most side stands) Stainless in a few frenzied hours of Mad Hatterism:

I loved the bloody thing. And have missed having one on my subsequent bikes over the years. As goofy / unusual as they are in these times on dirt bikes, when you've got one, it's so good for working on your bike, especially out in the scrub. I'll eventually make one to fit my CRE500 - I've a linkage mount left over on the frame after making it a PDS'd bike, that will make it an easier job.

Post a reply to: Enduro bikes for MX

The Latest