Enclosed Trailer Questions

gharmon
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2015 12:45pm
Okay guys I know some of you will say it doesn't belong in this thread but it is 100% moto related to me. I got a few questions as I've never owned one. First off I'm going to buy either an 7X18 or 8.5 X 16. I thing the shorter one is easier to maneuver, especially into my tight neighborhood/driveway. But I could see the extra width being an issue at different places as well. Any pro/cons you guys can give me?

Also, when it come to options I'm unsure. I do plan of adding a work bench and maybe even air (Roof or window unit) and some other creature comforts. From doing some searches here I've gathered that I really need a rounded edge roof. It will be primarily dirt bikes in there so what about things they offer like d-rings, e-track and all that shit? Am I cheaper installing it myself. I can do all the work myself so labor costs are not a concern. Is there any "must haves" I should get from the factory? I have a couple thousand extra to spend on extras if need be like extra height, jacks, torsion axles, stabilizers etc. I'm a cheap ass at the core and if the shit is better for me to do myself please advise.

Just any info pre purchase would be great.
|
Paw Paw 271
9/5/2015 7:15am
Think bike shoes for the bikes. Marine battery and inverter for alarm, 110v lights, 12 volt lights and a 110 rv style hookup for a generator or for rv hook up at destination.

Paw Paw
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/5/2015 7:18am
I would go big in size. You can fit a big trailer just about anywhere you can take your truck.
mxpappy711
9/5/2015 7:24am
6 and 7 ft widths still use 8 ft wide axle I think. Go with trailer as wide as your axles. Still pissed I did not look at that when I bought mine. Bigger always better if you have good tow vehicle
KMC440
9/5/2015 7:30am
8ft and wider you can put the bikes in crossways instead of longways. Much better in my opinion.

The Shop

9/5/2015 7:42am
Future A/C:
Be sure to have factory "wire and brace" for future roof air. Should cost you about $50
If you think a window unit is the way to go...we used to have factory put in a small 20" x 14" lockable panel. Should cost you about $175.
Wiring: I agree...get all the 110 and 12v wiring you might possibly need done from the factory...outlets/wiring will be inside the walls and have a clean look.
8.5 x 16...great size....better choice than the 7' wide in my opinion. Price is usually pretty similar also...not much more for the bigger size.
Stabilizer jacks for the rear should run you about $60. These are probably unnecessary on a tandem axle
Consider upgrading to radial tires....about $200
Extended triple tube tongue...adds a foot of tongue length...great for mounting a tool box or generator $125
Interior finishing...prime and paint the walls....stain the floor. Install D rings/E track yourself.
Raising the roof....only if you are very tall or plan to haul a side x side or a jeep. Standard interior height should be about 75". Roof height has the greatest effect on wind drag/fuel economy.
V nose or flat front? There are advantages to both...just have to decide which you prefer.
gharmon
9/5/2015 8:08am
Future A/C: Be sure to have factory "wire and brace" for future roof air. Should cost you about $50 If you think a window unit is...
Future A/C:
Be sure to have factory "wire and brace" for future roof air. Should cost you about $50
If you think a window unit is the way to go...we used to have factory put in a small 20" x 14" lockable panel. Should cost you about $175.
Wiring: I agree...get all the 110 and 12v wiring you might possibly need done from the factory...outlets/wiring will be inside the walls and have a clean look.
8.5 x 16...great size....better choice than the 7' wide in my opinion. Price is usually pretty similar also...not much more for the bigger size.
Stabilizer jacks for the rear should run you about $60. These are probably unnecessary on a tandem axle
Extended triple tube tongue...adds a foot of tongue length...great for mounting a tool box or generator $125
Interior finishing...prime and paint the walls....stain the floor. Install D rings/E track yourself.
Raising the roof....only if you are very tall or plan to haul a side x side or a jeep. Standard interior height should be about 75". Roof height has the greatest effect on wind drag/fuel economy.
V nose or flat front? There are advantages to both...just have to decide which you prefer.
Did not know about adding the lockable side panel for future window unit. They want about a grand to add their 13.5 btu roof mount. I think you can get those for less than $500.00 But I honest like the idea of maybe a 8000u window unit from the Walmart for $150 to stick into that lockable panel.

Yea I was seriously considering the extra tongue length, like you mentioned for a generator.

One other biggie and I think its the same price. Fold down ramp or double rear doors. I know that requires me to carry a board of single ramp.

I can get an 8.5 X 20 for only like an extra $100 that's 4 extra feet for a bill but my driveway will make it tough.

Can you stand on most roofs of these enclosed trailers or not? That would seem like a cool thing to do, you know when the A class goes out to race. LOL

I just bought an F250 so towing shouldn't be an issue. But for local stuff will my F150 still pull one of these things at 75mph?

Any idea how much these things weigh, dry?

Thanks guys.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/5/2015 8:22am
Future A/C: Be sure to have factory "wire and brace" for future roof air. Should cost you about $50 If you think a window unit is...
Future A/C:
gharmon wrote:
Did not know about adding the lockable side panel for future window unit. They want about a grand to add their 13.5 btu roof mount. I...
Did not know about adding the lockable side panel for future window unit. They want about a grand to add their 13.5 btu roof mount. I think you can get those for less than $500.00 But I honest like the idea of maybe a 8000u window unit from the Walmart for $150 to stick into that lockable panel.

Yea I was seriously considering the extra tongue length, like you mentioned for a generator.

One other biggie and I think its the same price. Fold down ramp or double rear doors. I know that requires me to carry a board of single ramp.

I can get an 8.5 X 20 for only like an extra $100 that's 4 extra feet for a bill but my driveway will make it tough.

Can you stand on most roofs of these enclosed trailers or not? That would seem like a cool thing to do, you know when the A class goes out to race. LOL

I just bought an F250 so towing shouldn't be an issue. But for local stuff will my F150 still pull one of these things at 75mph?

Thanks guys.
Your F150 will pull it around fairly easy. But of course using the 3/4 ton truck will save your tranny on the smaller truck.
loftyair
9/5/2015 8:35am
I have 2! One short one for easiness, one bigger one for longer trips and more stuff. Put a lot of thought into it, you will have it sitting there for a while most likely.
olds cool
9/5/2015 8:39am
Go with a V-nose and do the extra tongue length. Later on you can add an RV type restroom in the nose area. For Pete's sake, please don't spend the money for a new trailer and then add a Wal Mart window unit to it. Do like Deal Bros. said and have it wired and braced for a proper roof unit. You can buy one with a heat strip in it if you are considering sleeping in the trailer at the track. A roof unit will be much more desirable than a window unit when/if you decide to sell it later. You're welcome. Wink
Hi Side
9/5/2015 8:52am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 8:53am
I think, I actually I know, an 8.5x20 trailer loaded with all your stuff will boss that F-150 around pretty good. Pulling it isn't the problem, it's stopping it and having it be stable at speed are the important factors when towing. If you go that big I would plan on towing with your F-250 exclusively. Good luck in your search!
9/5/2015 10:30am
I believe an 8.5 x 16 is around 3,000lb
Each add'l ft adds about 100lbs...
Each add'l ft should cost you about $115 retail

Construction guys like the double doors so they can open them then back up closer to their work site.
99% of the trailers I sold for personal use had the ramp.

We never had any problems with our "flat roofs"
Like any RV roof...you need to seal it every couple of years.
Most mfgs do offer a "one piece aluminum" roof for pretty decent price.

Most mfgs do offer a "walk on" roof option.....pretty expensive though...I think around $2,000...depends on the trailer length. No way, no how can walk on a standard enclosed trailer roof.
2T42
9/5/2015 10:46am
G
turn on your PM's or send me one, and I will send you my number. I have some experience with building these from about every angle with tips on what you can do yourself for not a pile of cash and where to get the parts for power, lighting, sound system, racks, choks...
Figuring out how to do it and finding the parts is the hardest part of the whole thing.. No, I am not trying to sell anything....
MtnBoy
9/5/2015 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 1:36pm
I'd get the 8.5 wide for sure, way more versatile for cramming bikes and gear in, as well as the stuff you plan to build in like workbench, seats, beds, cabinets etc.

As far as the floor attachment points, I'd install them yourself, it's hard to know how everything is gonna lay out until you have the trailer in your hands with your crap in there.

A tall roof is nice to have, especially if yourself or anyone in your posse are 6' or taller.

We had one once that didn't have functioning door handles from the inside, they just latched/locked from the outside, I'd never make that mistake again.

I prefer the fold out doors in the back myself, makes it easier to back closer to pit areas, as well as set up an ez-up right at the edge of the trailer. It's not like they are difficult to load since they sit so low and in my experience, unless they have a good coating or something for traction, ramps get SLICK when they are wet.

gharmon
9/5/2015 2:44pm
2T42 wrote:
G turn on your PM's or send me one, and I will send you my number. I have some experience with building these from about every...
G
turn on your PM's or send me one, and I will send you my number. I have some experience with building these from about every angle with tips on what you can do yourself for not a pile of cash and where to get the parts for power, lighting, sound system, racks, choks...
Figuring out how to do it and finding the parts is the hardest part of the whole thing.. No, I am not trying to sell anything....
Hell, it's supposed to be on but it's never damn worked for some reason. Let me try to play with the setup stuff again. And I would welcome the advice.
josh8811
9/5/2015 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 6:52pm
7ft wide is the ticket.. You can still see around it and put the bikes in at angle. No matter how much truck you have you still have to tow it.. I take my to gnar spots and winter driving also.. Theres a perfect size.. ANd bigger isnt always better.

I've had a 7x16 tandem and it was cool.. But towing, especially in the wind could be shitty.. Pretty wasteful fuel wise.

josh8811
9/5/2015 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 6:54pm
This is my 3rd enclosed.. 7x12, with a V and brakes is perfect.. Had an overhead compartment built into the V

josh8811
9/5/2015 6:56pm

I thought and thought about the best tie down system.. This is what I came up with.. Perfect for getting up to 5 bikes inside and cleans up to a cargo trailer in one minute flat
captmoto
9/5/2015 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 8:03pm
gharmon wrote:
Did not know about adding the lockable side panel for future window unit. They want about a grand to add their 13.5 btu roof mount. I...

Thanks guys.
Holy shit!! Just because you can go 75 with a trailer doesn't mean you should. I've been towing for TT's for 30 years and pulled a 32' cargo for 5. I would never push past 65. That's putting too much faith in all the goons out there. Shit just goes bad too quick to manhandle a trailer like that. I've got a few permanent skid marks to prove it. And 75 with an F150 and what amounts to a drag chute will really suck the gas.
OK, off the soap box.
At least you are going with a trailer large enough to support all your mods. You will need at least a 3000 watt generator to power your AC. I went small, 6 x 12 and realized when I got home I wished I had gone 7 x 14. You will definitely use up all the space you buy. We used to laugh at my buddy with 1 bike in an 18' but along came a Rhino and kids quads.
A V-nose uses up space on your tongue, so you trade off inside for outside space.
The trailers aren't that heavy empty, not enough to worry about.
Going that big also look at the trailers with torsion axles. More $$ but way smoother ride for the stuff inside.
The roofs are not made to walk on. They are really flimsy.
kopfjaeger
9/5/2015 8:13pm
Stay away from the bike shoe. It's a big oil space waster. ..get some e channel, turnbuckles with a loop on one end and a hook on the other and e channel anchors of course.. From northern tool to tractor supply etc.. These will hook onto your pegs and secure the bikes, no straps to do gymnastics around either...I will post a pic tomorrow if I remember... I have put pics on another thread of my set up.. Super easy and fast.. Kinda like lock jaw but cheaper and takes no space
Hut
9/5/2015 8:26pm
I just sold my old 6 X 14 x 6 single axle trailer and bought a tandem axle 7 x 16 x 6 (just like this one here )
I have spent a fair amount of time setting it up for my needs. I painted the floor with herculiner truck bed liner that I bought at Lowes. That stuff is great. I wired the trailer for 120 V and added LED shop light strips on the cornices. Other modifications include a dividing wall and door for the V-nose (closet space now), bolted in a 42 inch Kirkland tool chest, and installed steel component shelving from Menards among other things.
The only complaint I have is the flimsy RV style side door. I will rebuild it and make it more substantial. I am happy with the 7 x 14 for our needs.

I 2nd the towing at 65 mph thing. No need to get in a hurry when hitched up. I haul a 15,000 Lb. fiver all over the country and after a few hard brake checks due to dummies I am happy to cruise at 65 everywhere.
gharmon
9/5/2015 9:05pm
First off, I am always running late for one reason or another so I usually end up running 75-80 in my F150 with the bikes either on the back or on my three rail trailer. I've never owned an enclosed trailer so I don't know if I'll run 75 or not I just threw that number out there. I did however run 75-80 back when I used to pull my mustang (drag racing) all over the country on an open trailer (4600lbs) with a 95 F150 and never really had any problems running that fast. Sure the truck didn't like it but it did it okay.

But we shall see. I do appreciate everyone's input and I'm okay with some mild lecturing. Hell you guys aren't shit compared to my wife!! lol
gharmon
9/5/2015 9:07pm
Hut wrote:
I just sold my old 6 X 14 x 6 single axle trailer and bought a tandem axle 7 x 16 x 6 (just like this...
I just sold my old 6 X 14 x 6 single axle trailer and bought a tandem axle 7 x 16 x 6 (just like this one here )
I have spent a fair amount of time setting it up for my needs. I painted the floor with herculiner truck bed liner that I bought at Lowes. That stuff is great. I wired the trailer for 120 V and added LED shop light strips on the cornices. Other modifications include a dividing wall and door for the V-nose (closet space now), bolted in a 42 inch Kirkland tool chest, and installed steel component shelving from Menards among other things.
The only complaint I have is the flimsy RV style side door. I will rebuild it and make it more substantial. I am happy with the 7 x 14 for our needs.

I 2nd the towing at 65 mph thing. No need to get in a hurry when hitched up. I haul a 15,000 Lb. fiver all over the country and after a few hard brake checks due to dummies I am happy to cruise at 65 everywhere.
Hey, hut do you have any pics of your finished product? I'd be interested in see them.
Hut
9/5/2015 9:16pm
A couple picts I took early on while working on new trailer. Nothing spectacular but might give you an idea or two.

Hut
9/5/2015 9:17pm
gharmon wrote:
Hey, hut do you have any pics of your finished product? I'd be interested in see them.
Ha I was adding those picts when you posted. I don't have any of the trailer completed but I can snap a couple tomorrow if still interested.
tomm55x
9/6/2015 6:01am
gharmon wrote:
Hut wrote:
Ha I was adding those picts when you posted. I don't have any of the trailer completed but I can snap a couple tomorrow if still...
Ha I was adding those picts when you posted. I don't have any of the trailer completed but I can snap a couple tomorrow if still interested.
I would like to see the finished product, looks good as it was being built!
rock841
9/6/2015 6:16am
I run a construction company that owns about 15 enclosed trailers and also personally own 3 of them. With an F150 as the tow rig I would stay at the 16' length. You know as well as I do, the more space you have the more weight your going to eventually put in.
Spend the extra money and get the added height if you plan on possibly sleeping in it.
The added width is going to make it feel heavier than it actually is.
Don't cheap out. Buy a good name brand. Just like everything. You get what you pay for.
gharmon
9/6/2015 9:22am
gharmon wrote:
Hut wrote:
Ha I was adding those picts when you posted. I don't have any of the trailer completed but I can snap a couple tomorrow if still...
Sure, I would love to see some pics of the finished product. Thanks
hillbilly
9/6/2015 9:27am
Plan your weight so it aint all on the tounge.

What I do is measure from hitch to ground then hook the trailer and measure.

Then start adding load and measure to see what I'm putting on the tounge.

You can get 4 or 6 of your fat buddies to stand on the tail gate and measure hitch height and add their weight to get and idea of what kind of weight you are putting on the tounge by comparing the 2.

Trailer brakes are real handy and easy to add,especially if you find a crashed one at a salvage yard,they are a plenty.

I always used the removable bike shoes that slip in the flat hardware that comes with. That way you aren't tripping overthem.
Hut
9/7/2015 11:48am
gharmon wrote:
Hut wrote:
gharmon wrote:
Sure, I would love to see some pics of the finished product. Thanks
Ok here it is. Keep in mind this is a work in progress and this trailer is not strictly for motocross, but maybe you will get an idea you can use. The best thing is the Herculiner floor. Glad I did it as it is much nicer than the bare wood floor in our previous trailer. Cool

Post a reply to: Enclosed Trailer Questions

The Latest