Emig on 96 MXdN and the KX500

Edited Date/Time 3/6/2018 1:56pm
This a good read.
http://racerxonline.com/2011/09/08/proof-jeff-emig-talks-mxon
While the 1986 Motocross des Nations effort of Ricky Johnson, David Bailey and Johnny O’Mara is often considered the greatest of all-time, the 1996 Team USA squad actually matched the ’86 performance. Steve Lamson, Jeremy McGrath and Jeff Emig won every moto in their class throughout the day en route to a dominant victory in Spain. Emig had a tough assignment, though, tabbed to ride the open class for 500cc two-strokes, even though he had never raced one before. He came through with the class victory. Here is his story.

Racer X: You and I were bench racing a few weeks ago about you riding a KX500 at the 1996 MXdN. And that’s always a strange part in history because for a few years, someone still had to ride a KX500 at the des Nations, but our AMA 500 National Championship stopped racing after the 1993 season. What was that like when you got the call to race the open class on that bike?
Jeff Emig: It wouldn’t have been that bad if the motorcycle had been a current bike! I believe the last update on that bike was in 1992 or 1993, and this was 1996. We didn’t race that class in the U.S. anymore after 1993, and I believe we tried to retrofit some new forks or a new shock to the bike, but, for the most part, it was the same bike with updated bold new graphics.

I’ve heard that they literally used the same exact KX500 every year for des Nations. They’d always have to have a Kawi guy race that class, and they would just tune up the same old KX500 and race it. Ryan Hughes, for example, raced it the year before.
I believe they had two bikes, one was a test and practice bike, and one was a race bike. But hey, when you only race it once a year, why not just keep on running it? We could probably just bust that thing out right now if we wanted to.

undefined
The des Nations in 1996 was the first time Emig had ridden a KX500.
Photo: DC

Yeah, I know that bike is still sitting there at the Kawi shop to this day! Did you have any experience racing that bike before this race?
No. None.

You never raced a 500 at Mammoth, or in the dunes, at an amateur race or something?
No. I had never raced a 500 before.

And you also weren’t even the first pick for the team?
That’s right, and I just realized that because I was reading an old article. Ryan Hughes had raced it in 1995, so they were going to have him just do it again, but as the story goes, he got hurt, and I was a logical replacement since I was also a Kawasaki rider. I had some pretty good races at the Motocross des Nations before, and I had a pretty good summer too, so I felt like I could handle it. [Note: A few weeks after the team was announced, Emig completed a comeback and won the 250 National Championship].

How much practice time did you get on the bike?
As little as I could! That thing vibrated so badly compared to our 250s, you wanted to ride it the least amount that you had to. And what’s interesting is, the horsepower, even though Kawasaki had done a great job smoothing out the power, it was still like a toggle switch. Just on or off. And if you overevved the thing, it would vibrate so badly that you could literally shake your hands right off the bars. That, and also how the weight balance felt on the chassis. The engine was very far forward, so it was very easy to spin the rear tire. When that toggle switch flipped up and the revs came up, that thing was all over the place! You really had to ride it a different way, just third and fourth gear the whole way. We had the big flywheel weight on it and everything to help that, but it was still a handful.

That race, in 1996, some of the Europeans called it Supercross des Nations because the track was very technical.
Yeah, well, they should have called it "Big Downhill Quad of Nations." There was this massive downhill quad jump that was really technical. I don’t remember the rest of the track being that technical, I remember it being pretty rough with lots of up and downhills. But that jump, it was big, and you couldn’t see the landing at all. And I remember that on that 500, with that toggle switch feel, I could accidentally overjump it very easily. Eventually, I was sort of coasting off the face of the jump, because you didn’t want that toggle switch power to kick in on the face of the takeoff. You couldn’t power off of it like a 250 or a 125. You’ve probably seen pictures of Lamson and McGrath on the 125 and 250 throwing tricks off of that jump, and then me just jumping absolutely straight.

That bike is like a museam piece, now, because the rules finally changed in 1997 and 250s became legal in both classes.
Yeah and like I said, I don’t think that bike I rode is much different than Jeff Ward’s last championship bike, which was in 1990!

Some will say the riders are back on open bikes now, because a 450 is so much faster than a 250 two stroke. And maybe on a dyno, peak power, a modern 450 and an old 500 two-stroke may match up. But is there any comparison to riding those old bikes and what is out today?
No, not even anywhere near that. It’s completely different. We’re talking close to 20 years of technology here. That bike took a different type of technique and style. Around that time, I was just turning pro, and most of the championship battles were between Honda and Kawasaki in that 500 class. Yamaha tried it a few times on their air cooled bikes, but they were at a disadvantage. So it was mostly between Honda and Kawasaki in that 500 class, and it always seemed like Kawasaki had a little advantage.

Well indeed they took four of the last five AMA 500 National Titles. By the way, you also once said at des Nations that Americans don’t get beat by four-strokes. Sorry man, technology caught up to you.
Oh man those four-strokes used to make me so mad! They had those Husabergs and stuff that had popped up in Europe. I was always pretty confident in my setup, but more often than not, when we got to the des Nations, the tracks were different, and my setup didn’t work there. The tracks were faster and we needed more top end, and in America our bikes were setup with all of that snap down low. So we always needed more top end on our 250s for that race. But I can tell you on that KX500 we had it all. Last gate pick? No problem. Lammy, you go ahead and take the good gate on the 125. You could grab the holeshot from any spot on that gate, that was not an issue. And at that race in Spain in 1996, I think that one was pretty easy for us. In the first moto, I had the lead, and Lamson and Sebastian Tortelli were behind me. I remember talking to Lamson before the race, and I told him he needed to beat Tortelli and show the world that he was the best 125 rider in the world. So I let them go by. I didn’t care what I did as long as I was the first 500. So I got a front row seat to this amazing battle between Lamson and Tortelli, and I was proud of Steve, he won it. We ended up dominating that race, 1996 rivaled that legendary 1986 team you always hear about as far as our results. I’d like to say that year was a massive struggle and we overcame all the odds and barely pulled it off with all of this drama, but that day, we pretty much dominated it and it wasn’t too much of a struggle. It helped that I had that trusty KX500, it was a handful to ride, but still, it was the best 500 out there.
|
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
4/13/2016 8:27pm
Good read, thanks!
4/13/2016 10:57pm
Got to love Emig. His MXoN rides are his greatest achievements IMO. Always happy to step up to the plate.
umagumadog
4/13/2016 11:25pm
"We could probably just bust that thing out right now if we wanted to" Classic

The Shop

chuckdavies
4/14/2016 1:26am
Awesome read! And even cooler that Emig is coming over to the UK this year in September to race a KX500 built by Docwob at the annual Farleigh Castle VetsMXDN! Gonna be awesome to watch!
Crush
4/14/2016 2:05am
Fro's podcast on the 96 outdoor season with Matthes was also epic.
Ted722
4/14/2016 8:44am
One of the few American's to ride all 3 classes or size of bike in the des Nations?

Cool he's going to Farleigh Castle.
Tpog496
4/14/2016 8:46am
Crush wrote:
Fro's podcast on the 96 outdoor season with Matthes was also epic.
Link? I'd love to give it a listen.
Crush
4/14/2016 8:49am
Hmmm, not sure if hosted on-line, it'll be itunes only, you'll need to subscribe or search in itunes.

He's done a few but it'll be the Steve Matthes Classics... 2009 I think.
TJ 755
4/14/2016 9:21am

The caption read something along the lines of violating Spanish airspace...
davistld01
4/14/2016 9:29am
Everybody pans the KX500 for vibrating like a dog shaking off water...but Sean Collier seems to ride the pants off of one, and you know that he probably revs it pretty good. What year model KX500 does SC ride?

And, yeah...great read. Thanks for posting it.
EEE299
4/14/2016 9:46am
davistld01 wrote:
Everybody pans the KX500 for vibrating like a dog shaking off water...but Sean Collier seems to ride the pants off of one, and you know that...
Everybody pans the KX500 for vibrating like a dog shaking off water...but Sean Collier seems to ride the pants off of one, and you know that he probably revs it pretty good. What year model KX500 does SC ride?

I'm not sure what year.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought he had some serious work done to reduce vibrations.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else though....
nytsmaC
4/14/2016 11:51am
They do vibrate pretty bad, Emig nailed it with his description. getting carried away trying to ride it like a 125 would result in a near death experience. They can get around a track pretty quick but not in an exciting, spirited manner.

I always read how HP is similar with the new 450's.. A 450 is nothing like a 500! Torque numbers and dyno graphs would show that.

I did not enjoy racing with my 500, but I sure wish I still had it.
G-man
4/14/2016 12:24pm
Great read, thanks for posting.

Emig was and still is a legend in my eyes on and off the track.

Had to race MC in his prime which was no easy task.

He also overcame a serious stuttering problem and does a great job on the broadcasts. Not easy to do.
Stuntman949
4/14/2016 12:32pm
davistld01 wrote:
Everybody pans the KX500 for vibrating like a dog shaking off water...but Sean Collier seems to ride the pants off of one, and you know that...

EEE299 wrote:
I'm not sure what year. I could be wrong about this, but I thought he had some serious work done to reduce vibrations. Maybe I'm thinking...
I'm not sure what year.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought he had some serious work done to reduce vibrations.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else though....
97! Not sure about the dampening though.
Captainc
4/14/2016 12:33pm
davistld01 wrote:

Mine has no vibration at all hardly. Crank balanced properly it starts easy and is lovely to ride
Jake86
4/14/2016 1:03pm
One of my favorite riders, I have a several Emig posters on the wall in my barn still. Used to wear shift gear, and Arnette goggles to be like Fro when I was on my KX 250 in my early teens.
roninho
4/14/2016 1:49pm
nytsmaC wrote:
They do vibrate pretty bad, Emig nailed it with his description. getting carried away trying to ride it like a 125 would result in a near...
They do vibrate pretty bad, Emig nailed it with his description. getting carried away trying to ride it like a 125 would result in a near death experience. They can get around a track pretty quick but not in an exciting, spirited manner.

I always read how HP is similar with the new 450's.. A 450 is nothing like a 500! Torque numbers and dyno graphs would show that.

I did not enjoy racing with my 500, but I sure wish I still had it.
Yeah i hear that a lot (''wish i still had my 500'').

What was the last year 500's were actually produced by the big name companies?
Captainc
4/14/2016 1:54pm
500s don't vibrate bad unless the crank is out of balance. Usually this is because they have had a shit rebuild at some point. A well sorted kx500 has very little vibration

4/14/2016 2:24pm
Awesome read! And even cooler that Emig is coming over to the UK this year in September to race a KX500 built by Docwob at the...
Awesome read! And even cooler that Emig is coming over to the UK this year in September to race a KX500 built by Docwob at the annual Farleigh Castle VetsMXDN! Gonna be awesome to watch!
Woah!, this is news to me!, tickets on sale do you know please?.... I have never been before.
Jake86
4/14/2016 3:09pm
Captainc wrote:
500s don't vibrate bad unless the crank is out of balance. Usually this is because they have had a shit rebuild at some point. A well...
500s don't vibrate bad unless the crank is out of balance. Usually this is because they have had a shit rebuild at some point. A well sorted kx500 has very little vibration

Beautiful bike! I want it!!!
4/14/2016 7:46pm
Captainc wrote:
500s don't vibrate bad unless the crank is out of balance. Usually this is because they have had a shit rebuild at some point. A well...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your bike would have a lot more development and sorting in it then that spare Kawie 500 that Ryno and Fro rode, and as said, just had some suspension thrown on it basically along with a pipe, jetting and maybe a different cut head.
4/14/2016 8:01pm
Captainc wrote:

Nice build too. Looks very well sorted and dig the old GP look
The Rock
4/14/2016 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2016 8:39pm
Chicken raced that bike once too at Glen Helen. I remember reading in Cycle Newa that he could barely hang onto it and he was talking about the blisters his hands had.
early
Fantasy
2212th
4/14/2016 8:44pm
If they do another legends race at the Ironman MX Finale it would be cool to see Fro on the KX 5-Hundo!
4/15/2016 1:18am
TJ 755 wrote:
[img]https://rx.iscdn.net/2013/09/60235_1996-4_424.jpg[/img] The caption read something along the lines of violating Spanish airspace...

The caption read something along the lines of violating Spanish airspace...
Just awesome.....and love the caption!.
4/15/2016 2:44am
#76 wrote:
Woah!, this is news to me!, tickets on sale do you know please?.... I have never been before.
http://www.vetsmxdn.co.uk/

Make sure you get there, it's always an awesome weekend!
Thanks for the link.

I would only be able to come for one day, as i'm sure you would know, what's the best day to be there please?.

Man how cool would it be so see Fro ride.....any other big names in?

Cheers.
chuckdavies
4/15/2016 3:02am
#76 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I would only be able to come for one day, as i'm sure you would know, what's the best day to be...
Thanks for the link.

I would only be able to come for one day, as i'm sure you would know, what's the best day to be there please?.

Cheers.
Sunday is the main race day!

Loads of riders, the event grows every year! I think so far this year there is

Grant Langston
Brian Jorgensen
Marc de Reuver
Jeff Emig
Kenneth Gundersen
Daryll King
John Dowd
Doug Dubach
Gordon Crockard
Ryan Voase
Brian Wheeler
Werner Dewit
Jamie Dobb
Kurt Lundquvist

Captainc
4/16/2016 9:29am
#76 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I would only be able to come for one day, as i'm sure you would know, what's the best day to be...
Thanks for the link.

Cheers.
Sunday is the main race day! Loads of riders, the event grows every year! I think so far this year there is Grant Langston Brian Jorgensen...
Sunday is the main race day!

Loads of riders, the event grows every year! I think so far this year there is

Grant Langston
Brian Jorgensen
Marc de Reuver
Jeff Emig
Kenneth Gundersen
Daryll King
John Dowd
Doug Dubach
Gordon Crockard
Ryan Voase
Brian Wheeler
Werner Dewit
Jamie Dobb
Kurt Lundquvist

Voase is a total boss on the 500 he will be bad to beat . Well capable of beating all of those if he brings his A game

Post a reply to: Emig on 96 MXdN and the KX500

The Latest