Eli's Dad

captmoto
5/25/2010 5:27pm
I thought the fact that John walked up and shook his son's hand, then hugged his neck and walked out of view of the camera was...
I thought the fact that John walked up and shook his son's hand, then hugged his neck and walked out of view of the camera was just the coolest thing. He let the team enjoy the moment with his son. He took a back seat even though it had to be a seriously proud moment for him. If only some other fathers would take note of the lack of 'WE'.
And the lack of face time at the end of it all. I don't think he even glanced up at the camera walking away.
aminkman
5/25/2010 5:49pm
Mike D wrote:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.moranphoto.net/people/johntomac/thumbnails/thumb-9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.moranphoto.net/people/johntomac/index.html&usg=__Kv9sIM3FSqrkmP0AYFrLAjdoXq8=&h=220&w=173&sz=14&hl=en&start=79&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=5vTTBFpo9BCaiM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3DJohn%2BTomac%26start%3D72%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1R2SKPB_enUS370%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1 Pretty sweet photo blast of Johnny T! I was not surprised at all on saturday.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.moranphoto.net/people/jo…

Pretty sweet photo blast of Johnny T! I was not surprised at all on saturday.
And you bringing up Tony makes you look like.....
JIM256
5/25/2010 6:04pm
whoopdedoo wrote:
I'll bet Eli is the first pro motocrosser who's father is in better shape than 90% of the riders on the gate.
HAHA. SO TRUE THOUGH...

The Shop

35smom
5/25/2010 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2010 7:15pm
Hey you guys need to give alot of credit to his mom Kathy also. For as long as I can remember (actually the year my son won Lorettas in the 4-6 50cc stock class Eli was on his way to win the 7-8 and a broken chain ended his chance) His mom has worked every single national event., spending all day in sign up and scoring, and she has always been as nice as nice can be... again congrats to the Tomacs. I think Eli's win gave many of us the renewed drive and excitement to know it actually can happen!
TWicks
5/25/2010 8:06pm
I was in to mtn. bikes as a kid and John was my absolute hero...years later I got the chance to meet him at a WORCS event and didn't even realize it. They were pitted next to us for the weekend and I spoke to him several different times not having a CLUE who it was! I found out later when I saw a picture of Eli in a magazine that it was him!

John is a class act and I'm very excited to watch Eli excel for years to come!
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
5/25/2010 8:35pm
I beat him at a down hill national in 91.
Rizzo
5/25/2010 9:09pm
There have been some prime examples of how to come into the pro ranks and also some examples how NOT to come into the pro ranks as a family. Look at what these more recent families have in common........Grant, Villopoto, Dungey, Canard, Barcia, Wilson and now Tomac. How often are their parents named in the same sentence as they are? These are example of riders with success in the pros that transfered from amateurs and their families were a huge part of that. Once they went pro, it's like they handed their kids off to the team, mgr, owner etc.

It seems as if these families have taken a backseat so to speak and their kids are winning because of it. I know there are more riders and families that could be named, these are just a few of the most successful in the last years. As far as naming some on the opposite side of the coin, I'll refrain from naming any, especially if it sounds like Sony aMessy.
aminkman
5/25/2010 9:32pm
Rizzo wrote:
There have been some prime examples of how to come into the pro ranks and also some examples how NOT to come into the pro ranks...
There have been some prime examples of how to come into the pro ranks and also some examples how NOT to come into the pro ranks as a family. Look at what these more recent families have in common........Grant, Villopoto, Dungey, Canard, Barcia, Wilson and now Tomac. How often are their parents named in the same sentence as they are? These are example of riders with success in the pros that transfered from amateurs and their families were a huge part of that. Once they went pro, it's like they handed their kids off to the team, mgr, owner etc.

It seems as if these families have taken a backseat so to speak and their kids are winning because of it. I know there are more riders and families that could be named, these are just a few of the most successful in the last years. As far as naming some on the opposite side of the coin, I'll refrain from naming any, especially if it sounds like Sony aMessy.
Crossup
5/25/2010 9:44pm
aminkman wrote:
Don't forget he was a champion on the road also. Anybody here see him race the 1st World Mt Bike Championship with drop (road style) handlebars...
Don't forget he was a champion on the road also.
Anybody here see him race the 1st World Mt Bike Championship with drop (road style) handlebars? Crazy!
Yes, I remember that. He raced Yeti, Mongoose, and Raleigh. I got to see him race the WC race in Hoflize, Belgium in 1994 in heavy rain, and JT killed the field. JT had a BMX background like MC. No doubt that Eli knows how to read a line or two with Dad's coaching. They are a great story.
Mike D
5/25/2010 10:59pm
2004 Mammoth Kamikaze winner
2005 Mammoth Kamikaze winner

not too long ago.

Post a reply to: Eli's Dad

The Latest