ESPN Speedworld Supercross 1992

jasonv43
3/19/2015 7:33am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 2:05pm
|
Darryl916
3/19/2015 8:56am
This is the era that caused me to fall in love with dirtbikes. I never would have thought while watching this at 10 years old that 23 years later i'd be sitting on the start gate at Daytona the way I was last week. Thanks for posting this. Brings back a lot of childhood memories and reminds me of why I started riding dirtbikes in the first place.

The sport has grown so much. Look at all the box trucks in the pits, for example.

Old-Man
3/19/2015 9:19am
See at 11:40 how that "Hay Bail" just bounced out of the way? that don't happen today with those stupid Tough blocks. It takes the rider out of the race..AKA Martin
3/19/2015 9:44am
Old-Man wrote:
See at 11:40 how that "Hay Bail" just bounced out of the way? that don't happen today with those stupid Tough blocks. It takes the rider...
See at 11:40 how that "Hay Bail" just bounced out of the way? that don't happen today with those stupid Tough blocks. It takes the rider out of the race..AKA Martin
Worked out good in that case but hay bales have to be bound by something, usually wire or string, neither of which goes together very well with things that spin. Add the advertising cover to a hay bale and you add another threat with spinning items. There really isn't a perfect solution for all instances and you know they are going to want their advertising space in some manner.
Old-Man
3/19/2015 11:53am
Solid block of rubber that gives enough when hit but not enough so that the wheel loses itself in it and takes the rider down.
Print whatever you need on it, has concave places all around to grip it.

Should be able to have different sizes too so they can be used in tight corners.

The Shop

OldMechanik
3/19/2015 1:00pm
The 90s were awesome!! Loved my 92KX!
TannerMxer
3/19/2015 1:20pm
Jeff Ward was my idol. He had so much swag. He's the reason I grew my hair out so it hung out the back of my helmet and baseball caps. I remember being really sad and betrayed because I was 9 years old and he was abandoning moto to go race cars. Now I understand that he was 13 years old, an old man in the SX/MX world, and it was probably time to retire.

This is still one of my all-time favorite Jeff Ward gear sets:

And this is still my favorite looking bike of all-time. I have a dream to get the most modern KX250 available and build a replica of this bike:
rocrac
3/19/2015 1:57pm
Nice...when ESPN was worth watching. RIP Speedworld Sad
gnarwhip
3/19/2015 2:42pm
Bad ass stuff. If McGrath hadn't come along, Bradshaw would have won so many championships.
BobbyM
3/19/2015 2:53pm
I doubt it...
Old-Man
3/19/2015 9:55pm
Taped all of them on the VCR..I couldn't stay up that late and make it to work. I put a few of them to DVD Plus that Moto show with Myers...what was it called? Motoworld?
jasonv43
3/20/2015 7:34am
Dallas '92. Pulled it from the other thread.

https://youtu.be/4-daKaTpNNg

@Green - Dude you gotta get with it man. Post up those videos!!! It's kind of a pain and takes a while. But it's worth it.Cool
Old-Man
3/20/2015 8:54am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 9:56am
I have them all 80's-90's like you... just too lazy to get them out of the crawl and sit through recording them to disk.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/20/2015 9:43am
jasonv43 wrote:
Dallas '92. Pulled it from the other thread. https://youtu.be/4-daKaTpNNg @Green - Dude you gotta get with it man. Post up those videos!!! It's kind of a...

@Green - Dude you gotta get with it man. Post up those videos!!! It's kind of a pain and takes a while. But it's worth it.Cool
I rode that track on amateur day!
jasonv43
3/20/2015 1:40pm
It took me forever to first record everything to DVD. Then copying everything to the PC. And now uploading them to youtube.

Takes a while for sure.
Wolfman
3/20/2015 2:30pm
jasonv43 wrote:
Dallas '92. Pulled it from the other thread. https://youtu.be/4-daKaTpNNg @Green - Dude you gotta get with it man. Post up those videos!!! It's kind of a...

disbanded wrote:
I rode that track on amateur day!
So did I. Rode 250 novice. The track was amazing until the rains came.
3/20/2015 2:31pm
Old-Man wrote:
Solid block of rubber that gives enough when hit but not enough so that the wheel loses itself in it and takes the rider down. Print...
Solid block of rubber that gives enough when hit but not enough so that the wheel loses itself in it and takes the rider down.
Print whatever you need on it, has concave places all around to grip it.

Should be able to have different sizes too so they can be used in tight corners.
Just use rope like my old club did, and pallets stood up! Job done
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/20/2015 2:40pm
Wolfman wrote:
That's awesome!

I rode 125 Novice and got 3rd place in the torrential downpour! Still have the plaque somewhere deep in my garage.
Wolfman
3/20/2015 3:28pm
Wolfman wrote:
disbanded wrote:
That's awesome!

I rode 125 Novice and got 3rd place in the torrential downpour! Still have the plaque somewhere deep in my garage.
Most of my class didnt even make a full lap! We got stuck trying to get up the over and under. I remember falling and some guy telling me "just lay here and act hurt. If the leaders cant get by they will have to flag the race". So I swear there are 10 guys and their bikes laying on the face of this jump, moaning and holding various body parts.

I was near the top of the jump so I was yelling (between moans) "flag the fucking race!" at the flaggers that were sitting on top of the jump. I swear I layed there for a good 2 minutes and finally looked around and the leaders were still 1/2 a lap away. So I got to my feet, and this guys yelling "what the f are you doing! Act hurt!" And I was yelling back "f you, I'm finishing the race!"

So I tore up some hay and mixed it in with the mud. The leaders still hadn't make it around yet. I managed to get enough traction to get over the top of the tunnel and whipped my bike sideways (was easy to do, the clay was slicker than snot), and I aimed my rear wheel at the flaggers and roosted the hell out of them before I finally slid down the backside of the jump sideways.

I said "screw it" and didnt attempt to ride the track. I cut backwards across the start straight and went back to the truck. The leaders (there were only 2 guys still going from what I remember) never came by. I heard they threw the checkered after 1 lap. They then rerouted the track to no longer go over the tunnel. It was an epic weekend either way.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/20/2015 3:42pm
Wolfman wrote:
Most of my class didnt even make a full lap! We got stuck trying to get up the over and under. I remember falling and some...
Most of my class didnt even make a full lap! We got stuck trying to get up the over and under. I remember falling and some guy telling me "just lay here and act hurt. If the leaders cant get by they will have to flag the race". So I swear there are 10 guys and their bikes laying on the face of this jump, moaning and holding various body parts.

I was near the top of the jump so I was yelling (between moans) "flag the fucking race!" at the flaggers that were sitting on top of the jump. I swear I layed there for a good 2 minutes and finally looked around and the leaders were still 1/2 a lap away. So I got to my feet, and this guys yelling "what the f are you doing! Act hurt!" And I was yelling back "f you, I'm finishing the race!"

So I tore up some hay and mixed it in with the mud. The leaders still hadn't make it around yet. I managed to get enough traction to get over the top of the tunnel and whipped my bike sideways (was easy to do, the clay was slicker than snot), and I aimed my rear wheel at the flaggers and roosted the hell out of them before I finally slid down the backside of the jump sideways.

I said "screw it" and didnt attempt to ride the track. I cut backwards across the start straight and went back to the truck. The leaders (there were only 2 guys still going from what I remember) never came by. I heard they threw the checkered after 1 lap. They then rerouted the track to no longer go over the tunnel. It was an epic weekend either way.
Nice. If I remember correctly, they cut the track in half just before my race, so we didn't actually have to do the finish line - because nobody could get over it! We took a 180 degree left turn after the whoops and went back down the start straight. Skipped the entire other half of the track.

I remember not crashing until the last lap, and then I crashed like 5 times in the whoops, but I came around the corner and they threw the checkered flag after 3 laps and it turns out I got 3rd. Had no clue what place I was in...
Wolfman
3/20/2015 4:16pm
Wolfman wrote:
Most of my class didnt even make a full lap! We got stuck trying to get up the over and under. I remember falling and some...

disbanded wrote:
Nice. If I remember correctly, they cut the track in half just before my race, so we didn't actually have to do the finish line -...
Nice. If I remember correctly, they cut the track in half just before my race, so we didn't actually have to do the finish line - because nobody could get over it! We took a 180 degree left turn after the whoops and went back down the start straight. Skipped the entire other half of the track.

I remember not crashing until the last lap, and then I crashed like 5 times in the whoops, but I came around the corner and they threw the checkered flag after 3 laps and it turns out I got 3rd. Had no clue what place I was in...
You lucky dog lol. I wish they still had amatuer day like that. I was 19 years old and it took every dollar I had to go to that race, but I will never forget it.

Now I sit here, having not raced in several years, and with a yz250 sitting in my living room with the top end off, while im trying to decide wether or not to replace the wiseco crank thats in it. But im fighting stage 4 colon cancer that got to my liver before it was diagnosed, and I swear... I probably wont beat the cancer in the long run, but im fighting hard and my cea number has dropped from 444 in September to 42 as of tuesday. I was at a 37, but lost a little ground.

Its a life time of motocross thats the one thing that I can look back on and smile. Im thankful that I've done more living in 42 years than most people would do in 100, and its because of that common bond that we share, dirt bikes.

Thanks to Jason V. For posting up that video. For years I couldnt find that race on youtube. I have always taken pride in the fact that I was able to clear that double out of the 180 left that followed the 1st triple. The night before, my buddy, who got 4th I think in 250 int. on amatuer day, had told me there was no way in hell I would clear that jump. I went for it and cleared it on the 2nd lap of practice and landed on a haybale but saved it. I cleared it allnday until the rain.

What an amazing thing to be able to sit here now and think about how great life was then. It was worth every penny, I'll tell ya that!
St Ann More
3/20/2015 4:26pm
That's pretty awesome, one of the few SX's Stefan Everts raced too, i think he was just out of National Service at the time.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/20/2015 5:17pm
Wolfman wrote:
You lucky dog lol. I wish they still had amatuer day like that. I was 19 years old and it took every dollar I had to...
You lucky dog lol. I wish they still had amatuer day like that. I was 19 years old and it took every dollar I had to go to that race, but I will never forget it.

Now I sit here, having not raced in several years, and with a yz250 sitting in my living room with the top end off, while im trying to decide wether or not to replace the wiseco crank thats in it. But im fighting stage 4 colon cancer that got to my liver before it was diagnosed, and I swear... I probably wont beat the cancer in the long run, but im fighting hard and my cea number has dropped from 444 in September to 42 as of tuesday. I was at a 37, but lost a little ground.

Its a life time of motocross thats the one thing that I can look back on and smile. Im thankful that I've done more living in 42 years than most people would do in 100, and its because of that common bond that we share, dirt bikes.

Thanks to Jason V. For posting up that video. For years I couldnt find that race on youtube. I have always taken pride in the fact that I was able to clear that double out of the 180 left that followed the 1st triple. The night before, my buddy, who got 4th I think in 250 int. on amatuer day, had told me there was no way in hell I would clear that jump. I went for it and cleared it on the 2nd lap of practice and landed on a haybale but saved it. I cleared it allnday until the rain.

What an amazing thing to be able to sit here now and think about how great life was then. It was worth every penny, I'll tell ya that!
Dammit, good luck brother.
Wolfman
3/20/2015 5:51pm
Thank you. We're fighting it, and most of the gime my doc says he is shocked by my progress. I was in bad shape 6 months ago.
jasonv43
3/20/2015 10:20pm
Wolfman wrote:
You lucky dog lol. I wish they still had amatuer day like that. I was 19 years old and it took every dollar I had to...

Glad I could help. Keep kicking cancer's ass and fighting!!!

I've got a few more races from 92 to upload. Then it's on to 93 and the rise of MC.
3/21/2015 12:00am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2015 12:00am
Everts raced a supercross? How many? I wasnt following mx at that time.
jasonv43
3/21/2015 11:15am
Uploading Vegas right now. Then Pontiac 1 & 2, then San Diego & Seattle.Cool
jasonv43
3/21/2015 12:09pm
I'll try.

Post a reply to: ESPN Speedworld Supercross 1992

The Latest