ER visits tied to energy drinks double since 2007

jtomasik
1/18/2013 10:10am
Who gives a flyin' F? Go read the stats on health issues caused by primary and secondary cigarette smoke. It makes this report look like a joke.
kongols
1/18/2013 10:11am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 10:11am
GuyB wrote:
Quick poll: How many energy drinks do you drink a week?

For me? Zero, unless it's something like Muscle Milk, which has some nutritional value.
jtomasik
1/18/2013 10:14am
GuyB wrote:

For me? Zero, unless it's something like Muscle Milk, which has some nutritional value.
Is that stuff made with milk? Not being facetious. Never had it, because I don't do dairy and shied away from it based on its name.

Reason why I ask is that most people believe that dairy is required to provide adequate calcium for humans. It isn't. In fact, the acidic based calcium in dairy product actually shuts down the small intestine from efficiently absorbing nutrients. When you consume dairy, you get about 30% of the calcium that's in the product.

Humans can get all of their calcium from plants. That's alkaline-based calcium. Alkaline-based calcium is completely absorbed, since it doesn't negatively affect the digestive system like dairy product calcium does.

Not sure you care.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
1/18/2013 10:19am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 10:19am
GuyB wrote:

jtomasik wrote:
Is that stuff made with milk? Not being facetious. Never had it, because I don't do dairy and shied away from it based on its name...
Is that stuff made with milk? Not being facetious. Never had it, because I don't do dairy and shied away from it based on its name.

Reason why I ask is that most people believe that dairy is required to provide adequate calcium for humans. It isn't. In fact, the acidic based calcium in dairy product actually shuts down the small intestine from efficiently absorbing nutrients. When you consume dairy, you get about 30% of the calcium that's in the product.

Humans can get all of their calcium from plants. That's alkaline-based calcium. Alkaline-based calcium is completely absorbed, since it doesn't negatively affect the digestive system like dairy product calcium does.

Not sure you care.

The Shop

gnarwhip
1/18/2013 10:24am
If you actually read the article, it's full of the most useless statistics and is ridiculous. "Doubled since 2007"...NO SHIT so has the amount of energy drinks out there. It also said half of the ER cases included drugs and alcohol. Hmmm another retarded stat. I'd like to see the info from people who drank too many extra large Starbucks coffees and went to the ER
yosmithy
1/18/2013 10:27am
This study is rigged. I have never used energy drinks at the ER...let alone doubling them!!
BIGRIGGIN
1/18/2013 10:36am
I'm waiting for an EPO infused cocktail from RB. Power to the people.
jtomasik
1/18/2013 10:38am
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/01/18/Screen_Shot_2013_01_18_at_10.17.59_AM_536182.png[/img] Refer to the words just under the logo. ;) http://www.cytosport.com/products/muscle-milk/muscle-milk-ready-to-drink
Thanks for pointing that out, but I'm still too chickenshit. Here's what they (the manufacturer) say is in it:

Evopro is a custom protein made my Cytosport
Peptide and amino acid matrix designed to mimic the nitrogen components found in a human mother’s milk (micellar alpha and beta caseins and caseinates, whey concentrates rich in alpha-lactalbumin, whey isolates, whey peptides, purified bovine colostrum extract rich in secretory IgA and IGF-1, glutamine peptides, l-taurine, lactoferrin).

Leanlipids trans fat free lipid complex selected for their thermogenic and unique energy properties (canola oil, sunflower oil, enzyme engineered polyunsaturated long-chain vegetable oils, MCTs, l-carnitine)
fructose, maltodextrin, cocoa powder, cytovite I, vitamin and mineral premix consisting of (vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol, d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, ascorbic acid, folate, thiamine monohydrate, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine HCL, cyanocobalamin, biotin, pantothenic acid, di-calcium phosphate, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, ferrous fumerate, magnesium oxide, copper gluconate, and zinc oxide)
creatine GCC, our proprietary
endogenous creatine precursor (glycocyamine, betaine anhydrous)
natural flavors
lo han fruit extract (natural sweetener)
stevia (natural sweetener)
chromium nicotinate.

Ummm....I think I'll just eat my veggies! Smile
WhKnuckle
1/18/2013 10:49am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2013 3:32pm
BTW, Monster is down 8%+ today on news that hedge fund manager David Einhorn is shorting the stock big time.

http://buzz.money.cnn.com/2013/01/18/monster-einhorn/?iid=HP_LN

I don't know about this study, but we'd be making a big mistake if we were betting on energy drink companies to keep SX/MX afloat. The stuff tastes terrible and it's very bad for you. I'll admit they've been marketing geniuses, but they have a high priced, sorry product. "You can't fool all the people all the time."
DoctorJD
1/18/2013 10:54am
GuyB wrote:

Zero. I drink black coffee. That's about as close to an "energy drink" as I get.
flarider
1/18/2013 11:09am
Coffee addicts come in frequently for the same thing. Energy drinks are so much worse for you though! I wonder if you kept one long enough...
Coffee addicts come in frequently for the same thing. Energy drinks are so much worse for you though! I wonder if you kept one long enough if it would eat its way through the can eventually?
Yes, I have had cans eaten through after sitting long enough, by various energy drink products. I have a small collection of come-and-gone energy drink products, since everyone seems to think they can make it in their bathtub. Many of them have eaten though the can or seal, so I have to let them drain so the "sealed can" can remain on display
Tracktor
1/18/2013 12:02pm
You can have my RedBull when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..........or when the can is empty.....The new Cranberry & Blueberry Redbull are splendid, also................They are good for you because they have fruit in them, right?....................
MISFIT442
1/18/2013 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2014 10:59am
MR. X
1/18/2013 1:59pm
I gave up energy drinks for meth , those energy drinks will rot your teeth.
Sunhouse
1/18/2013 2:49pm
GuyB wrote:

Muscle Milk and other protein shakes are actually good for you, as oposed to regular energy drinks. I wish they would be more visible instead of all the unhealthy sugar-and-caffein-cans
1/18/2013 3:12pm
Bananas are healthy too. Chiquita should sponsor a team! They could hand out a bundle of bananas at every supercross.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
1/18/2013 7:18pm
Bike Rat wrote:
i blend Grass fed butter, and coconut oil in to my coffee!! its the best buzz http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/
steveada wrote:
Sounds sick, but how do you get the butter to eat the grass?
LOL, but seriously, you can always sweeten your caffeine delivery drink with agave syrup. Much better than sugar. Buy it at Costco or it's really expensive.
TM

Post a reply to: ER visits tied to energy drinks double since 2007

The Latest