Dungeys new bike?

Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 8:50pm
Ive heard that development cycles are around three years. Does that mean this bike was on the drawing board before dunge came to ktm or was it designed with him in mind? Is the bike better suited to supercross than the last bike? Or are the ktms developed more fior the outdoor mxgp tracks? That bike looked great in the whoops the other nite. It looks like hes riding way more comfortably than even a week ago. Anybody have some info on this new bike?
|
logan_140
2/2/2015 8:06am
They only started the factory edition because dungey wanted it. Wasn't going to race on the ktm they had at the time
IWreckALot
2/2/2015 8:27am
Ive heard that development cycles are around three years. Does that mean this bike was on the drawing board before dunge came to ktm or was...
Ive heard that development cycles are around three years. Does that mean this bike was on the drawing board before dunge came to ktm or was it designed with him in mind? Is the bike better suited to supercross than the last bike? Or are the ktms developed more fior the outdoor mxgp tracks? That bike looked great in the whoops the other nite. It looks like hes riding way more comfortably than even a week ago. Anybody have some info on this new bike?
I'm not sure if you saw the podium interview where Dungey briefly mentioned it. It's at the weight limit. His bike is now 10 pounds lower than it was last year. I imagine that 10 pounds makes a big difference. It' just 10 pounds less that he has to get going off the start (his starts seem improved over last year), 10 pounds less that he has to throw around over jumps, 10 pounds less bouncing through the whoops and 10 pounds less through the corners. 10 pounds doesn't sound like much, but a little difference like that can make a huge difference at that level I'd guess.

As for bike development, I know nothing. But it would appear that KTM is on an accelerated schedule to re-engineer modern day race bikes and it's very shocking to see what they've done. I do know that Decoster and team has put in many many hours on the bike development.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/2/2015 8:40am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 8:41am
KTM has increased their market share exponentially over the past 4 years, but still pale in comparison to the Japanese. Being that small, makes them more nimble... and makes it easier for them to design and manufacture a bike in a year.

Rodger came first, and started working on the bike. Dungey came when it was ready to be raced, and its taken them 2 years to completely redesign their pervious redesign. The big 4 in Japan are working on 2018+ models right now..... KTM could be on a new platform again by then, but the difference is they could decide to do so a year before they're ready to ship.
nytsmaC
2/2/2015 8:41am
Ive heard that development cycles are around three years. Does that mean this bike was on the drawing board before dunge came to ktm or was...
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm not sure if you saw the podium interview where Dungey briefly mentioned it. It's at the weight limit. His bike is now 10 pounds lower...
I'm not sure if you saw the podium interview where Dungey briefly mentioned it. It's at the weight limit. His bike is now 10 pounds lower than it was last year. I imagine that 10 pounds makes a big difference. It' just 10 pounds less that he has to get going off the start (his starts seem improved over last year), 10 pounds less that he has to throw around over jumps, 10 pounds less bouncing through the whoops and 10 pounds less through the corners. 10 pounds doesn't sound like much, but a little difference like that can make a huge difference at that level I'd guess.

As for bike development, I know nothing. But it would appear that KTM is on an accelerated schedule to re-engineer modern day race bikes and it's very shocking to see what they've done. I do know that Decoster and team has put in many many hours on the bike development.
Did Dungey actually say that his 15 race bike is 10lbs lighter than the one he raced last year?

I'd have thought that his '14 would have been at, or at least near the weight limit too. I figured all of the factory bikes were.

The Shop

BobPA
2/2/2015 8:48am
MxKing809 wrote:
KTM has increased their market share exponentially over the past 4 years, but still pale in comparison to the Japanese. Being that small, makes them more...
KTM has increased their market share exponentially over the past 4 years, but still pale in comparison to the Japanese. Being that small, makes them more nimble... and makes it easier for them to design and manufacture a bike in a year.

Rodger came first, and started working on the bike. Dungey came when it was ready to be raced, and its taken them 2 years to completely redesign their pervious redesign. The big 4 in Japan are working on 2018+ models right now..... KTM could be on a new platform again by then, but the difference is they could decide to do so a year before they're ready to ship.
If the Japanese wanted to accelerate their R&D like KTM they would have done so. They have the money, resources, and people. I don't see the opportunity for much profit from dirt bike sales, so they place their resources elsewhere, where there is more profit to be had. KTM is passionate about off-road motorcycles, and that's it. The big 4 have much bigger fish to fry.
Flatliner
2/2/2015 8:49am
To me his bike is the best cornering bike out there this year, by a pretty big margin.
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
2/2/2015 10:11am
Dungey (and most of the other KTM riders in both classes) are consistently cutting inside riders on other brands. Especially in flat sweepers. The bikes seem to find traction where other bikes can't.
2/2/2015 10:15am
There was one turn dungey cut under someone and in the slow mo i couldnt believe how tight that ktm turned. Looks like a great bike.
yota
2/2/2015 10:46am
He had the best bike in the whoops sat night too. Can't believe I just said that about a KTM.
yota
2/2/2015 11:32am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 11:33am
btw, no one ever mentions Stefan Everts in these threads about how the KTM's have improved.
2/2/2015 11:55am
To clarify this the production bike is 10lbs lighter than the previous yr. These race teams have no problem getting their bikes close to the leagal limit. Now realize if u have a 13.5 to15 450sxf they are no pigs, and by changing the battery to a lithium, and putting a Ti exhaust on u save 5lbs right their. The new fe comes with a lithium battery which saves is 4.4lbs lighter than the battery in the 15 model.
endurox
2/2/2015 12:12pm
lithium battery is 1.6 pounds lighter, big change in the bike is the center of mass and adding some flex here and there and some extra rigidity here and there. Nice to see Dungey ahead in the points before going to the east coast where he does well. Looking for Musquin to be at the top of the podium also. Will Hill ride the east coast on a 350?
2/2/2015 2:52pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm not sure if you saw the podium interview where Dungey briefly mentioned it. It's at the weight limit. His bike is now 10 pounds lower...

I had an 02 kdx200, and i lightened it by 14 pounds by removing unneeded tidbits, and im here to tell you that ten pounds was absolutely noticible when I was riding. Makes a big difference. Does this mean that the ktm450 weighs the same as a two stroke 250?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/2/2015 2:57pm
No, this bike was designed and built after he came to KTM.

http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Inside-the-Factory-Edition-KTMs,…

Here's a piece I did at the launch in which I asked Roger Decoster and test rider, Mike Sleeter, about the development of this bike. (along with some others involved)
uk125250
2/2/2015 3:09pm
Is the 250f at the weight limit? Is the 350 just as light as the 450?
2/2/2015 3:12pm
ML512 wrote:
No, this bike was designed and built after he came to KTM. http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Inside-the-Factory-Edition-KTMs,38285/Slideshow,0/ML512,13480 Here's a piece I did at the launch in which I asked Roger...

Here's a piece I did at the launch in which I asked Roger Decoster and test rider, Mike Sleeter, about the development of this bike. (along with some others involved)
Good info! I cant wait for the production bike review. Im actually more curious as to how the two stroke will fare with the new frame. Lord willing ill be buying new next year and i have a short list of beta (enduro bike), yz250, and ktm two strokes.
HenryA
2/2/2015 3:50pm
It's all about the money. KTM can construct a complete new bike in a month if they want. I don't think that anyone here can answer your question but I don't think that it's a bold statement to say that they did not have this bike ready when they signed Dungey. The previous bike that he and Roczen rode was most definitely ready though.
IWreckALot
2/2/2015 4:02pm
IWreckALot wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
Did Dungey actually say that his 15 race bike is 10lbs lighter than the one he raced last year? I'd have thought that his '14 would...
Did Dungey actually say that his 15 race bike is 10lbs lighter than the one he raced last year?

I'd have thought that his '14 would have been at, or at least near the weight limit too. I figured all of the factory bikes were.
After watching again, he did not mention the weight on the podium. He just vaguely said that they did a number on the new bike and he was really liking it.

I don't recall where I got the 10 pounds lighter. Maybe it was in a broadcast or a podcast. I'll try to dig up my source. When they were talking about it, they were saying that their goal was to make the bike better in every area and that they were right at the limit now. Maybe one of the mods can confirm. in the meantime.

I distinctly remember finding it odd. I just assumed that all the teams were at the limit also.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
2/2/2015 4:09pm
IWreckALot wrote:
After watching again, he did not mention the weight on the podium. He just vaguely said that they did a number on the new bike and...
After watching again, he did not mention the weight on the podium. He just vaguely said that they did a number on the new bike and he was really liking it.

I don't recall where I got the 10 pounds lighter. Maybe it was in a broadcast or a podcast. I'll try to dig up my source. When they were talking about it, they were saying that their goal was to make the bike better in every area and that they were right at the limit now. Maybe one of the mods can confirm. in the meantime.

I distinctly remember finding it odd. I just assumed that all the teams were at the limit also.
Dungey talked about the bike being 10 lbs lighter on a broadcast earlier in the year and they easily bump up against the legal limit with the new design. I remember hearing that straight from Dungey during an interview - may have been after a heat win in one of the first 4 races.
gharmon
2/2/2015 4:50pm
IWreckALot wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
Did Dungey actually say that his 15 race bike is 10lbs lighter than the one he raced last year? I'd have thought that his '14 would...

Yes he did and he mentioned that the bike was under the weight limit and that it was nice to be able to put he weight where you wanted it to make the legal wt required to race the bike.
malachi177
2/2/2015 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 5:18pm
There was one turn dungey cut under someone and in the slow mo i couldnt believe how tight that ktm turned. Looks like a great bike.
Yep, he turned under BB4 on his Zook....couldn't believe my eyes!!
kiwifan
2/2/2015 5:37pm
IWreckALot wrote:

really? how have they engineered the modern MX bike? All they have done is circumvented the rules by building basically a 2016 model that gets an advantage over other manufacturers....I dont see anything really innovated or cut-throat on their bikes at all

Good on them though, despite this the other manufacturers still win.
kiwifan
2/2/2015 5:38pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Alas, a link. Talks about the new chasis, This isn't where I originally heard the information but it mentions the 10 pound difference. http://motocross.transworld.net/1000169222/features/ktm-unveils-2015-250-450-sx-f-factory-edition-mxers/ All told...
Alas, a link. Talks about the new chasis, This isn't where I originally heard the information but it mentions the 10 pound difference.

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000169222/features/ktm-unveils-2015-25…

All told, the Factory Edition weighs in 10 pounds lighter than the standard version.
yes it is now around the Honda weight....they needed a special edition to do that....
zehn
2/2/2015 5:46pm
ML512 wrote:
No, this bike was designed and built after he came to KTM. http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Inside-the-Factory-Edition-KTMs,38285/Slideshow,0/ML512,13480 Here's a piece I did at the launch in which I asked Roger...

Do you know if Dungey's bike is the lightest out there? Are there factory bikes that aren't right at or near the weight limit?
zehn
2/2/2015 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 5:49pm
malachi177 wrote:
Yep, he turned under BB4 on his Zook....couldn't believe my eyes!!
Well, he was also on a different line. The Zook probably could have taken the same line that Dungey did.
pacetruckdrvr
2/2/2015 6:34pm
Dungey mentioned in the A1 press conference the weight and how they had to add some weight to get it to the limit. I think you will see me on one of those 2015's soon, and by soon I mean in about 5-7 years when I can afford someone's clapped out money pit.
dcg141
2/2/2015 7:18pm
KTM had a big week end. Dominating the opening round of the National Enduro Series and round 3 of the World Super Enduro. They won the opening round of the National Hare and Hound last week. Offroad Results
zehn
2/2/2015 9:18pm
Yea at the hondas weight, BUT with electric start and hydrolic clutch!
Very true, in terms of trick parts, the KTM is way ahead of the Honda IMO.

Post a reply to: Dungeys new bike?

The Latest