Dungey's interview: "Ken was my motivation"

Very interesting interview of Dungey by a French media. Dunge saying that his main motivation to go through this 2017 SX season was to beat Kenny. Also said that he definitly had mental issues this season, but that was not because of Kenny's crash... it was because of his own crash last year in outdoor that really bothered him.
|
5/24/2017 3:50am
His mental problem was the phrase "Its only a dirt bike race"...once you have that thought it's all over.
fanger
5/24/2017 5:35am
Got a link? Sounds like a good read.
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
5/24/2017 6:00am
His mental problem was the phrase "Its only a dirt bike race"...once you have that thought it's all over.
That comment was a symptom of his mental problem, not the actual problem.
Phantom 661
5/24/2017 8:08am
jnickell wrote:
Agreed. RD's comment was a huge indicator that something was up. Watching him and Ken annihilate the field at round 2 in SX this year was great viewing. They were both exhibiting some serious speed at that race.

The Shop

tcallahan707
5/24/2017 8:11am
jnickell wrote:
The dude is literally agreeing with the post but felt the need to argue.
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
5/24/2017 9:08am
jnickell wrote:
The dude is literally agreeing with the post but felt the need to argue.
Who's arguing? I simply added some clarity. You added nothing to the post topic.

Back on topic...

When Dungey responded to the "crown" comment in the press conference, hindsight is telling me that his uncharacteristic irritated response was also a symptom of his head not being in the game. He seemed somewhat unsure of himself. As in, he probably didn't know what RD was going to show up from week to week so don't go handing out championships just yet.
kkawboy14
5/24/2017 9:10am
The physical could be 70% of why Roczen retires, the mental may be 98%
davistld01
5/24/2017 9:15am
I can see a huge reason for his retirement was the accident leading to his neck injury last year. Ryan had gone a long time without injury, and I'm sure his confidence level was build around that. When that kind of injury happened...then add to that seeing KR go down in the blink of an eye, it had to mess with his head. Ryan was very lucky to be able to get out "while the getting was good" and while he was on top and healthy.
OGLawrence
5/24/2017 9:54am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 9:56am
Y'all realize that there is more to life then just racing. Even as a top pro I think Dungey cares more about his wife, his health and future than just 1 race. I understand we all love racing and it's cut throat but we as fans don't have to live with the permanence of multiple concussions, the physical toll they put on their bodies, the permanence of old injuries, etc. That's just something we don't think about when we think of Jessy Nelson and his path for the rest of his life.

So yeah in essence, it's just a dirtbike race and the next 60 years won't be affected much by that.
5/24/2017 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 12:34pm
No surprise there, Ken has been Dungeys main comp and those 2 have been waxing the field for the last 4 yrs until Ken got hurt.
APLMAN99
5/24/2017 12:50pm
Well he just won perhaps the most prestigious championship in the sport with that thought, so perhaps your premise doesn't hold up..........?
Flip109
5/24/2017 12:54pm
OGLawrence wrote:
Y'all realize that there is more to life then just racing. Even as a top pro I think Dungey cares more about his wife, his health...
Y'all realize that there is more to life then just racing. Even as a top pro I think Dungey cares more about his wife, his health and future than just 1 race. I understand we all love racing and it's cut throat but we as fans don't have to live with the permanence of multiple concussions, the physical toll they put on their bodies, the permanence of old injuries, etc. That's just something we don't think about when we think of Jessy Nelson and his path for the rest of his life.

So yeah in essence, it's just a dirtbike race and the next 60 years won't be affected much by that.
The next 60 years will be greatly affected by the money he made doing it. So it's not JUST any old dirtbike race. But I can see where he was comin from trying to downplay things to keep him on track.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/24/2017 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 2:25pm
I think top guys who have accomplished a lot may tend to be motivated to move on, and can afford to, if they marry a non moto girl in the second half of their career. Especially if they and their spouses begin thinking of how an injury (ies existing) affect future life after moto. Big change of perspective for those guys. Partners like Ellie, Matilde, Dottie are/were part of the program out of the gate.

And I am fine with those decisions no matter how much I want to see a rider keep on for my sake as a fan of the sport.
spd721
5/24/2017 2:46pm
No link to the article?
5/24/2017 3:08pm
When Dungey blurted that out while being interviewed for a second place finish this year, I said to myself, "he's done."

davistld01
5/24/2017 3:13pm
When Dungey blurted that out while being interviewed for a second place finish this year, I said to myself, "he's done."

I imagine Ryan has had that attitude for years. It keeps him from flipping out when things get hard (like this past season). Each guy deals with the pressure and the disappointment differently. I think Dungey's way was to keep it really casual.

Post a reply to: Dungey's interview: "Ken was my motivation"

The Latest