Dungey's Problem

Racer111
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 10:51am
After watching that press conference I figured out why I can't seem to embrace him. MC, RC, CR, and JS7 were/are easy to like. All 4 made it easy for you to like them.

Mcgrath was just this crazy fast rookie that came in and destroyed the field by winning 10 out of 16 races against a stacked field of riders. He didn't hold back on the track and just attacked everywhere. Took SX by storm. He had an innocent arrogance about him that you couldn't help but love.

RC came in to the big boy class and dominated outdoors from the get go. He struggled in SX the first couple years and everyone could see it. In 2001 he came in and dethroned the King of SX. Although I was a huge MC fan, I had the upmost respect for Ricky because I had witnessed his struggles in 99, and 00" and I knew how hard he had to have worked to do what he did on 2001. You have to respect that guy.

CR was virtually an unknown coming in to the East Coast Lites class in 2002. Won every round but 1 and couldn't wait to get to the big boy class. He felt insulted that he had to race the Lites class to begin with. He knew what he wanted and who he wanted to take it from. Not to many people were in a hurry to line up next to RC and would have loved to stay in the Lites class winning. Not Reed! He wanted the challenge and in 2003 he was definitely up for it. Came in swinging and won A1! THAT is why I liked this guy.

JS7 just came in and amazed everyone with his speed and style that no one had ever seen before. He totally revolutionized the way people ride/race a motorcycle. Crazy fast and poetry in motion at the same time.

MC, RC, CR, and JS7 all had/have this brash and warrior attitude.

To me, I think Dungey would have more fans if he had some of the brash the above mentioned guys had/have. He is too polite and well spoken. Almost "nerdy". It's hard to see a "nerdy" like guy winning in MX and SX. I am in no way bashing RD. He has had 2 great years so far and has obviously worked hard. I just think if he got a little more brash or cocky it would help his image to other fans. He is missing something that the other 3 guys I mentioned had.

Again, I am NOT flaming Dungey. Just speculating on why I can't embrace him just yet.
|
bobby397
7/26/2010 7:09am
Dungey's problem? as long as he keeps winning, i dont think he has a problem.
DrSweden
7/26/2010 7:11am
I'm sure it will come with time. I think despite what he has accomplished, he's still a kid in many aspects. With aging his self esteem will grove and he will then be more keen to get outside his social/moral comfort zone which is what some of us wish for, then will win more people over (will create haters as well).

Just saying...
Racer111
7/26/2010 7:15am
DrSweden wrote:
I'm sure it will come with time. I think despite what he has accomplished, he's still a kid in many aspects. With aging his self esteem...
I'm sure it will come with time. I think despite what he has accomplished, he's still a kid in many aspects. With aging his self esteem will grove and he will then be more keen to get outside his social/moral comfort zone which is what some of us wish for, then will win more people over (will create haters as well).

Just saying...
Well at least you get what I was trying to say. I want to like the guy. He just needs to loosen up. Refusing to wear the same gear that J-Law and throwing little fits like those are all things that I remember. I want to see him act like he deserves what he has done the last 2 years. It's almost like he isn't sure himself. He backs it up on the track, so why not enjoy it off the track?
PD441
7/26/2010 7:20am
If that's what it takes to pull in outside sponsors like Target and Nike, I'd say it's good "problem" to have.

The Shop

Outsider
7/26/2010 7:21am
Here's my worthless opinion.

The other guys you mentioned came in and TOOK IT away from somebody. Made a statement.

Dungey may be making a statemtent NOW, with his consistent performances, it's hard to deny his speed and preparation.

BUT, he had some "circumstances" go his way early on, that, IMO, made it possible for him to be in his current position. This is why it's hard to for some to see him in the same light as those other guys.

He's on his way there, though, if he can keep it up against the couch drivers, he will be a legend.

"JMO"
SteveS
7/26/2010 7:24am
I think you're saying you don't like humility?
jeffro503
7/26/2010 7:26am
DrSweden wrote:
I'm sure it will come with time. I think despite what he has accomplished, he's still a kid in many aspects. With aging his self esteem...

Just saying...
Racer111 wrote:
Well at least you get what I was trying to say. I want to like the guy. He just needs to loosen up. Refusing to wear...
Well at least you get what I was trying to say. I want to like the guy. He just needs to loosen up. Refusing to wear the same gear that J-Law and throwing little fits like those are all things that I remember. I want to see him act like he deserves what he has done the last 2 years. It's almost like he isn't sure himself. He backs it up on the track, so why not enjoy it off the track?
You have to remember that this is his first year on these big bikes. He's not only new at racing them , but new at speaking to the press about things as well. Remember MC, RC and CR were all pretty much the same when they first started getting all the coverage.....then loosened up with time.

Just give him some time....he'll be ok. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Stanton to be honest. Really professional in the way he carries himself on and off the track. Very business like for sure.
Racer111
7/26/2010 7:36am
jeffro503 wrote:
You have to remember that this is his first year on these big bikes. He's not only new at racing them , but new at speaking...
You have to remember that this is his first year on these big bikes. He's not only new at racing them , but new at speaking to the press about things as well. Remember MC, RC and CR were all pretty much the same when they first started getting all the coverage.....then loosened up with time.

Just give him some time....he'll be ok. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Stanton to be honest. Really professional in the way he carries himself on and off the track. Very business like for sure.
No, Mcgrath, Stewart, Reed were all pretty brash and KNEW who they were and where they stood. Dungey had an incredible year last year. NO reason to feel "rookie" like. You act like that or feel that way about your first Championship whether it is a Lites or a big boy class.

I guess maybe Outsider has a good point. That is the way a lot of us feel and maybe Dungey feels the same way. When/if he actually beats a healthy RV/JS7 straight up for 17 rounds of SX and 12 rounds of MX with both being there week in and week out he will be a little different.

I will give him props. Of all the riders currently racing, Dungey has them more than covered. For someone as young as he is that does ALL his own training, is pretty impressive.
7/26/2010 7:58am
Outsider wrote:
Here's my worthless opinion. The other guys you mentioned came in and TOOK IT away from somebody. Made a statement. Dungey may be making a statemtent...
Here's my worthless opinion.

The other guys you mentioned came in and TOOK IT away from somebody. Made a statement.

Dungey may be making a statemtent NOW, with his consistent performances, it's hard to deny his speed and preparation.

BUT, he had some "circumstances" go his way early on, that, IMO, made it possible for him to be in his current position. This is why it's hard to for some to see him in the same light as those other guys.

He's on his way there, though, if he can keep it up against the couch drivers, he will be a legend.

"JMO"
Good points.
burnside
7/26/2010 8:14am
I really can't wait to see him go at it with Bubba.. Just look at the press conference from Washougal, he has the whole measured robot thing going on for every question, but when someone mentions Bubba he seemed to really open up and say the first things on his mind. I liked that spark and hope that rivalry with the real big cats will bring out the best in him.

My total 'guess', is that all this kind of criticism really bugs him and he knows beating Bubba straight up would be an awesome statement. This is a chance for him to really stamp his authority over the old guard and from his body language in that press conference I'm guessing he's going to show up for the battle rather than settle for the smart second places that a lot of people would expect him to do.

And off on a tangent, although he doesn't need to beat Bubba seems he isn't a title threat, you'd have to think beating and humiliating 'the fastest rider on the planet' now would be a good investment for the supercross season. Would be such a statement going into the off season!

TerryK
7/26/2010 8:23am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2010 4:29pm
NO ONE can win with people on this board can they? A guy comes in all cocky and overconfident: he gets bashed. Another comes in not cocky, but confident and a bit outspoken: he gets shit on. Another comes in humble, respectful and well spoken, guess what?

I just fail to see what anyone wouldn't like about an "all American", clean cut kid who is absolutely ridiculously fast on a motorcycle.

Unfuckingbelievable.
Cygnus
7/26/2010 8:26am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2010 8:28am
TerryK wrote:
NO ONE can win with people on this board can they? A guy comes in all cocky and overconfident: he gets bashed. Another comes in not...
NO ONE can win with people on this board can they? A guy comes in all cocky and overconfident: he gets bashed. Another comes in not cocky, but confident and a bit outspoken: he gets shit on. Another comes in humble, respectful and well spoken, guess what?

I just fail to see what anyone wouldn't like about an "all American", clean cut kid who is absolutely ridiculously fast on a motorcycle.

Unfuckingbelievable.
He comes from too close to Canada.W00t
raddad
7/26/2010 8:27am
burnside wrote:
I really can't wait to see him go at it with Bubba.. Just look at the press conference from Washougal, he has the whole measured robot...
I really can't wait to see him go at it with Bubba.. Just look at the press conference from Washougal, he has the whole measured robot thing going on for every question, but when someone mentions Bubba he seemed to really open up and say the first things on his mind. I liked that spark and hope that rivalry with the real big cats will bring out the best in him.

My total 'guess', is that all this kind of criticism really bugs him and he knows beating Bubba straight up would be an awesome statement. This is a chance for him to really stamp his authority over the old guard and from his body language in that press conference I'm guessing he's going to show up for the battle rather than settle for the smart second places that a lot of people would expect him to do.

And off on a tangent, although he doesn't need to beat Bubba seems he isn't a title threat, you'd have to think beating and humiliating 'the fastest rider on the planet' now would be a good investment for the supercross season. Would be such a statement going into the off season!

I seem to remember in that press conference that he mentions something about being in a tough position when it comes to racing smart and racing Bubba? After his statement about not being pushed around i could see him racing JS hard if JS puts a hard pass on him or weaves/cross jumps in front of him like he did on that last lap of SX at the opener. RD is all about racing clean and i think he gets fired up when he figures someone did an unnecessary move. It could get REAL hot out there if JS jumps on him or some how takes him out! This could be good baby!
jeffro503
7/26/2010 8:35am
I think Stewart would be wise to stay away from all the guys in the points battle.....as he isn't out there to try and take a championship. Be aggressive , go for the win if he wants to or whatever.....but no room for dirty riding bullshit.

I also think the first couple races when Stewart comes back , RD may play it a little safe until he wraps the title up. By the last couple rounds.....I think we'll see a different RD.
TerryK
7/26/2010 8:42am
Cygnus wrote:
He comes from too close to Canada.
He comes from too close to Canada.W00t
The politeness rubbed off on him.
kongols
7/26/2010 8:43am
jeffro503 wrote:
I think Stewart would be wise to stay away from all the guys in the points battle.....as he isn't out there to try and take a...
I think Stewart would be wise to stay away from all the guys in the points battle.....as he isn't out there to try and take a championship. Be aggressive , go for the win if he wants to or whatever.....but no room for dirty riding bullshit.

I also think the first couple races when Stewart comes back , RD may play it a little safe until he wraps the title up. By the last couple rounds.....I think we'll see a different RD.
It`s definitely gonna be a wake up call for somebody. I have no idea who will win, but I will definitely enjoy watching it unwrap.Woohoo
Kinetic1
7/26/2010 8:44am
TerryK wrote:
NO ONE can win with people on this board can they? A guy comes in all cocky and overconfident: he gets bashed. Another comes in not...

Unfuckingbelievable.
X2

We will forgive you for forgetting where you are. Sad as that may be.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1792nd
7/26/2010 8:50am
Dungey's Problem : Running out of space in his trophy room.

Outsider
7/26/2010 8:53am
TerryK wrote:

Unfuckingbelievable.
Sometimes a guy's fans and supporters cause more heat than the guy himself.

See James Stewart for an example. Wink
toroP
7/26/2010 8:53am
"Again, I am NOT flaming Dungey. Just speculating on why I can't embrace him just yet."

So it's Dungey's problem that you don't like him? Interesting perspective.
TerryK
7/26/2010 9:07am
Kinetic1 wrote:
X2

We will forgive you for forgetting where you are. Sad as that may be.
Oh trust me, I NEVER forget where I am, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people hate a guy who is exactly the type of role model for kids that the world is always looking for. The stupidity of it all boggles the mind.
Racer111
7/26/2010 9:10am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2010 9:13am
toroP wrote:
"Again, I am NOT flaming Dungey. Just speculating on why I can't embrace him just yet." So it's Dungey's problem that you don't like him? Interesting...
"Again, I am NOT flaming Dungey. Just speculating on why I can't embrace him just yet."

So it's Dungey's problem that you don't like him? Interesting perspective.
Wow!! Think of that all by yourself?? We have our reasons for not liking/embracing/respecting someone and it usually IS the person's fault that makes us feel that way. Sometime's we just feel the way we do about someone.

Doesn't make us a bad person.
DCL36
7/26/2010 9:23am
Writers cramp from cashing all his win bonus checks?

Long lines at the teller window?

Pens keep running out of ink?
chrisbuehler
7/26/2010 9:23am
I am sick of "defending" a guy who's 20yrs old and about to sweep both 450 titles, so I won't bother to list all the reasons he's a bad motha. I know you didn't attack him Racer111 and lot of guys feel the same way you do. It's a free country and you can like whoever you want. You're a J-Law fan right? J/k
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
7/26/2010 9:27am
sbowlden111
7/26/2010 9:53am
Dungey reminds me of a pre X-games Travis Pastrana with his Opie Taylor like demeanor. "Nerdy" is not a word ive heard used to describe TP in a long time. I happen to love it and hope it keeps up. I love in "The Moto" where RD practically runs after the Dunlop rep just to tell him thank you and you can tell by te look on the rep's face that dosen't happen to often. And you'll never hear MC or RC refer to themselves as "the king" or "the GOAT" but Bubba has no problem telling people he's the fastest man on the planet.Too many times big money, autograph seekers, sponsor adoration etc. go to athletes heads. The TO Show, Ochocinco Ultimate Catch and yes Bubba's World are all examples of fame and money going to athlete's heads. I find it refreshing that RD, and Canard too, refuse to pray at the altar of their own ego.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3116th
7/26/2010 9:58am
I started liking him more when he would occasionally stop thanking the man up above. Whistling
Racer111
7/26/2010 10:06am
Dungey reminds me of a pre X-games Travis Pastrana with his Opie Taylor like demeanor. "Nerdy" is not a word ive heard used to describe TP...
Dungey reminds me of a pre X-games Travis Pastrana with his Opie Taylor like demeanor. "Nerdy" is not a word ive heard used to describe TP in a long time. I happen to love it and hope it keeps up. I love in "The Moto" where RD practically runs after the Dunlop rep just to tell him thank you and you can tell by te look on the rep's face that dosen't happen to often. And you'll never hear MC or RC refer to themselves as "the king" or "the GOAT" but Bubba has no problem telling people he's the fastest man on the planet.Too many times big money, autograph seekers, sponsor adoration etc. go to athletes heads. The TO Show, Ochocinco Ultimate Catch and yes Bubba's World are all examples of fame and money going to athlete's heads. I find it refreshing that RD, and Canard too, refuse to pray at the altar of their own ego.
Actually, MC knows and is pretty vocal about being the 'King" of Supercross. Rightfully so!
mxer146
7/26/2010 10:07am
I'm sorry. I can't get past your avatar. Too much reading...
ando
7/26/2010 11:35am
Not that it's such a bad problem to have, but he's set such a high standard in his first 450 year that anything less in future years will potentially be seen as a failure.

Post a reply to: Dungey's Problem

The Latest