Dungey has really grown on me

burnside
Edited Date/Time 7/5/2015 8:14am
I have to admit, I was never the biggest Dungey fan.

I found him quite dull. Even the way he won his titles seemed dull and the way he conceeded to RV at times almost seemed submissive. I think partially what turned me off rooting for him were is fans. A few years back they were UNBEARABLE in the defence of the much debated "astrix's". I think I defaulted to rooting for RV or Pourcel just because his fans were so tedious, and strangely sensitive.

But, last couple of years he's really started to grow on me and this year, he's riding like a beast! Can't imagine Dungey from a few years back chasing down Barcia like that "if he didn't need to". How many safe seconds did we see Dunge take in the past? Much more exciting to watch now.

Almost seems like RV was his cryptonite over the years, and with RV out of the picture he has no monkey on his back.

Also look at his podium interviews, so much better recently, he's ditched the robot sponser spiel and is giving much better answers.

Anyway, props do the Dunge.
And for what its worth, a converted no.5 fan here.
|
7/5/2015 5:25am
I totally agree. He doesn't really like Matthes but went on the show and continued to get interviewed this year and became much looser.

He has been on the gas all year, on the bike and podium.

The other guy that fits a similar profile to me is Baggett: he's been so much better than I thought this year, and he recently was interviewed by Matthes and was great. His interviews used to be tight and boring too. Tip of the cap to both.
davistld01
7/5/2015 7:00am
Ok, I'm a Dungey fan...but never was one of the fanboys that burnside mentioned. My appreciation of the guy was because of his dogged professionalism & his refusal to give up even when he was the bridesmaid so many times to Villopoto. I mean, it must have frustrated the crap out of him...but he never let his emotions get the best of him. Dull? A little boring? Yeah, maybe...but he never was a guy to lose his self control. I like that. That, and his amazing textbook style are the two things that impressed me. Still do.

pete24
7/5/2015 7:04am
i was at southwick in the rain, and the gas cap southwick

FAN

The Shop

Reggsie
7/5/2015 7:08am
I'm a fan thanks to that crazy hand shifting he pulled. I was still cheering for Barcia this week though.
ChrisB10
7/5/2015 7:35am
Same here. He was always such a huge disappointment to me because Villopoto winning all the time got boring and I wanted Dungey so badly to challenge him but he never really did. Then when Villo was hurt and no one could beat Dungey so I was always rooting against him just so we could have close racing, then add on the Des Nations disappointments and I wasn't his biggest fan but yeah I joke that he is the perfect human being. Pure class on and off the track and just an incredible rider.
davistld01
7/5/2015 7:58am
pete24 wrote:
i was at southwick in the rain, and the gas cap southwick

FAN
^^^This!^^^
Outsider
7/5/2015 8:14am
Never a big fan but there's no doubt he's a badass. I think Aldon is doing more for his head than his body right now... he seems to have a confidence now that he didn't always have before, imo.

Post a reply to: Dungey has really grown on me

The Latest