Dungey could take this sport

wreckitrandy
4/27/2010 7:40am
I remember Jeff Glass driving around in a Surf detergent box van many years before freestyle.
Outsider
4/27/2010 8:03am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:25pm
motowhore wrote:
to a level no other rider has. Heres why: He has the GQ looks He is very well spoken He is up there with the best...
to a level no other rider has. Heres why:

He has the GQ looks
He is very well spoken
He is up there with the best in talent
He acts professionally
Hell, he already has huge sponsors like Target and NIKE on board.

I would not be surprised to see him become the biggest and richest ever. Just because we have never had such a marketable rider.

Jeremy took the sport to it's current level, with big salaries, sponsors, etc...
I think Dungey is the first guy that could become even bigger. And unlike some of the recent champs... This guy is humble.
LOL

" class="img-fluid" />

pie8man
4/27/2010 8:19am
I too am "superpumped" to be a christian and a Dungey fan. Go Dungey Go!! I do think he needs to find some spontaneous podium material though.
motowhore
4/27/2010 8:30am
Yeah RD, No more saying "Super Pumped"

And just to make us happy, let a "shit" or "asshole" fly every once in a while.

The Shop

4/27/2010 8:40am
As clean cut and a good kid as Dungey is, he has a long way to go before he will ever move this sport one inch down the road.

He needs to not be a robot off the bike, which is what he is now and his sponsors need to work with him to help make that happen.

Could he do it.................... possibly, but it will take some work. I think your blinded a little by his sponsor of Nike and Target. Dont be so fooled that Nike will come in and bring all this money. They made some very bad mistakes in skate and snow when they originally tried to do it in those sports and it took a while to get it all fixed. I think they will do a better job this time around with moto, but that is still a ways off.

If he continues to be so straight edge he will never get the following that the greats of this sport have, Hannah, RJ, MC, RC, JS, those guys had/have those ingrediants that bring outsiders in. RD has a ways to go. He has the goods on the bike, now he just needs to work on the rest of the package.

By the way, there should never be an Asterisk next to this championship. When everyone lined up at A1 they were all equal. If you cant make it to all the races and win then you dont deserve a championship and Ryan earned this title as much as any other rider has earned theirs in SX history.
sharkey
4/27/2010 8:43am
burnside wrote:
He needs a personality and some charisma to blip on the main stream radar. Your description sounds more like MC than RD!
true, even pourcels personality is coming around, dungey just needs to come out of his shell.
sharkey
4/27/2010 8:47am
I like Dungey so lets not forget that. With so many injuries this year, Reed, Stewart, Grant, Villipoto, to name a few. I feel he won...
I like Dungey so lets not forget that. With so many injuries this year, Reed, Stewart, Grant, Villipoto, to name a few. I feel he won because he outlasted the the rest of the competition.
zippy895 wrote:
dont forget, he won the outdoor 250 championship,250 sx championship,top 09 de nations 450(rookie) winner and then won a 450 sx championship.....as a rookie. lol,if you...
dont forget, he won the outdoor 250 championship,250 sx championship,top 09 de nations 450(rookie) winner and then won a 450 sx championship.....as a rookie.
lol,if you ask me, he is ahead of mcgrath ,given the same time frame between the two.
injuries could of gone his way in all 3 of those series as well as the de nations race.
so when does a spectator stop saying luck is on his side?
i bet the very first time he gets sidelined w/ an injury, this board will light up like flys on shit.
possibly but no one can answer that til his career is over, everyone thought james would break MC records, doesnt look like that happen, RV had 3 lites titles,1 sx lites title but has been plagued by injuries. you just never know how things will turnout
raddad
4/27/2010 8:57am
As clean cut and a good kid as Dungey is, he has a long way to go before he will ever move this sport one inch...
As clean cut and a good kid as Dungey is, he has a long way to go before he will ever move this sport one inch down the road.

He needs to not be a robot off the bike, which is what he is now and his sponsors need to work with him to help make that happen.

Could he do it.................... possibly, but it will take some work. I think your blinded a little by his sponsor of Nike and Target. Dont be so fooled that Nike will come in and bring all this money. They made some very bad mistakes in skate and snow when they originally tried to do it in those sports and it took a while to get it all fixed. I think they will do a better job this time around with moto, but that is still a ways off.

If he continues to be so straight edge he will never get the following that the greats of this sport have, Hannah, RJ, MC, RC, JS, those guys had/have those ingrediants that bring outsiders in. RD has a ways to go. He has the goods on the bike, now he just needs to work on the rest of the package.

By the way, there should never be an Asterisk next to this championship. When everyone lined up at A1 they were all equal. If you cant make it to all the races and win then you dont deserve a championship and Ryan earned this title as much as any other rider has earned theirs in SX history.
You need to stop by his pits or at an event that he is at and strike up a conversaqtion. You will see that he is far far from a robot! Just a hell of a great guy that talks with eager excitement and enthusiasm. You see a politically correct kid on the podium and that's OK with me and you also see a fired up kid on the track when things don't go the way he feels is right which again is far from being a robot.

I don't get the robot deal at all, he answers stupid questions on the podium with enthusiasm and a smile then thanks his sponsors as he is paid to do then goes back to the pits and talks to anyone that approaches him along the way giving autographs with out hesitation. Sounds like the perfect approach to meSmile I know lots of ass holes love the ass holes of this sport but the good guys always last longer or at least most of them do!
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/27/2010 9:04am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:26pm
I remember Jeff Glass driving around in a Surf detergent box van many years before freestyle.
yeah, he was the only guy it seemed with a corporate sponsorship and remember how big of a deal that was? I was a kid on the West coast and I remember that and seeing him all the magazines and people thinking it was the start of wheaties boxes and gatorade labels.

I was going to use him in my statement to show, that he was one of the very few that had any type of outside the industry sponsorship.

Wardy had Nike ( I think)
Then of course Peak with Pro Circuit

I am nto bragging on behalf of Freestyle, I am just merely stating tha tthey are clearly getting more mainstream support than our sport solely because of X games. Bringing it back to this thread, I am not sure Dungey will get the attention.

The closest I can compare Dungey to is Travis Pastrana with his good attitude and clean image, but even Pastrana didn't hit mainstream until he launched his bike into the pacific in San Francisco....

Biggest shocker right here and I know nobody will ever have my back with this. I think someone like Josh Hanson, who has dominated X games the last couple years and then comes and rides SX will get corporate America to look into mx/sx a little closer.
Larry
4/27/2010 9:12am
No one rider can do for our sport what live TV will.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/27/2010 9:18am
Larry wrote:
I agree,

But we still need drama. We still need good vs. evil type stuff. Our sport is stuck in the 50's it seems where everyone is the cleavers and polite.

we need good ole' boys
we need the raiders

The racing is awesome, the athletes are the best in the world but we need that story that everybody can relate too.
IceMan446
4/27/2010 9:25am
zippy895 wrote:
dont forget, he won the outdoor 250 championship,250 sx championship,top 09 de nations 450(rookie) winner and then won a 450 sx championship.....as a rookie. lol,if you...
dont forget, he won the outdoor 250 championship,250 sx championship,top 09 de nations 450(rookie) winner and then won a 450 sx championship.....as a rookie.
lol,if you ask me, he is ahead of mcgrath ,given the same time frame between the two.
injuries could of gone his way in all 3 of those series as well as the de nations race.
i bet the very first time he gets sidelined w/ an injury, this board will light up like flys on shit.
The kid is good...but ahead of MC? No way, MC destroyed the comp in his rookie year.
worcsracer808
4/27/2010 9:41am
Larry wrote:
Regis wrote:
I agree, But we still need drama. We still need good vs. evil type stuff. Our sport is stuck in the 50's it seems where everyone...
I agree,

But we still need drama. We still need good vs. evil type stuff. Our sport is stuck in the 50's it seems where everyone is the cleavers and polite.

we need good ole' boys
we need the raiders

The racing is awesome, the athletes are the best in the world but we need that story that everybody can relate too.
Yeah but when you look back he is sorta clean cut but he always has somethin goin on, was bickering with Jlaw earlier, and had some crashes and set-backs through the year to keep the title chase close, he honestly made it pretty exciting, if he would have just did what he did at A1 and lead the pack from then to now it would have been a more boring championship that's for sure.
burnside
4/27/2010 9:46am
Regis wrote:
yeah, he was the only guy it seemed with a corporate sponsorship and remember how big of a deal that was? I was a kid on...
yeah, he was the only guy it seemed with a corporate sponsorship and remember how big of a deal that was? I was a kid on the West coast and I remember that and seeing him all the magazines and people thinking it was the start of wheaties boxes and gatorade labels.

I was going to use him in my statement to show, that he was one of the very few that had any type of outside the industry sponsorship.

Wardy had Nike ( I think)
Then of course Peak with Pro Circuit

I am nto bragging on behalf of Freestyle, I am just merely stating tha tthey are clearly getting more mainstream support than our sport solely because of X games. Bringing it back to this thread, I am not sure Dungey will get the attention.

The closest I can compare Dungey to is Travis Pastrana with his good attitude and clean image, but even Pastrana didn't hit mainstream until he launched his bike into the pacific in San Francisco....

Biggest shocker right here and I know nobody will ever have my back with this. I think someone like Josh Hanson, who has dominated X games the last couple years and then comes and rides SX will get corporate America to look into mx/sx a little closer.
I agree with the last part, but Hanson also has a personality, same with Pastrana.

Dungey in my opinion he is too bland to have any legit, mass appeal. Sure he looks good on the posters, but it kind of ends there. Someone compared him to McGrath which I don't see at all. Look how charismatic, open and personable MC was off the bike, thats probably half the reason he got invited onto those chat shows back in the day.

Yes Dungey rips on a bike, but I don't see him being the new 'David Beckham of MX' or anything, not until he opens up a bit and stops blurting out cliches every time he's on TV, or starts dating Paris Hilton! ha.

Masonry
4/27/2010 9:48am
I think that guys that if JLaw went on to be the one to be winning races, he would appeal to the masses more than Dungey does now.
Cigaro
4/27/2010 10:48am
Nobody cares what you think cuz your the village idiot.
sc961
4/27/2010 11:04am
Masonry wrote: I think that guys that if JLaw went on to be the one to be winning races, he would appeal to the masses more than Dungey does now.

Didn't think I'd agree with you, but have to here. It's unfortunate for Jason, the fans, and our sport in general, that we probably will never get to see for sure what might happen...

When Jlaw and RD were hammering for the lites championship, there was a renewed excitement at the races... Although the racing has been very good, it's missing that little something extra..
BLAHBLAH
4/27/2010 11:05am
Dungey has had a great 18 months or so and is deserving of every title he has won. As far as being a sponsor's dream I would hardly agree. He is good for sponsors like target that are geared more towards a family type consumer. However, when it comes to actual mxers (and action sports enthusiasts) the target demographic is males under 30. when dealing with equipment sponsors i.e. bikes, parts, gear, energy drinks, clothing there has to be a cool factor of some sort to attract consumers. That is why you see guys like JLaw or Josh Hanson with plenty of sponsorship opportunity (and little performance); their image sells to a big demographic. People like Reed, Stewart and Poto have a cleaner image but still manage to keep a cool persona, they have and image that people can find likeness in and compare themselves to. Dungey needs to start doing more interviews and show a little more personality as well as parts of his personal life if he wants to develop a fan base. When was the last time you saw Dungey on a moto site video, or heard a podcast he has done? He has become a very successful racer over the past 18 months but as far as him becoming "the biggest and richest ever" I seriously doubt it.
observer
4/27/2010 11:19am
As clean cut and a good kid as Dungey is, he has a long way to go before he will ever move this sport one inch...

raddad wrote:
You need to stop by his pits or at an event that he is at and strike up a conversaqtion. You will see that he is...
You need to stop by his pits or at an event that he is at and strike up a conversaqtion. You will see that he is far far from a robot! Just a hell of a great guy that talks with eager excitement and enthusiasm. You see a politically correct kid on the podium and that's OK with me and you also see a fired up kid on the track when things don't go the way he feels is right which again is far from being a robot.

I don't get the robot deal at all, he answers stupid questions on the podium with enthusiasm and a smile then thanks his sponsors as he is paid to do then goes back to the pits and talks to anyone that approaches him along the way giving autographs with out hesitation. Sounds like the perfect approach to meSmile I know lots of ass holes love the ass holes of this sport but the good guys always last longer or at least most of them do!
Good posts "raddad" ...you too "old school"...

That's what won me over about the kid. I've been following this sport for a LONG time. He's respectful to older guys like myself(52 y/o-and we older guys that have been around the block can detect arrogance in a heartbeat)even now that he's come in to BIG money...he's managed to stay humble/grateful and very approachable. And OMG...he's a Christain too!!!!?? We can't have that now can we!!?? Jeeeesus!!!!!!

You're always gonna have jokers slam Ryan for his "nice boy" looks, attitude(which I personally find refreshing)...primarily for reasons JailLaw has-which Ryan is lapping these days...Like I say..."let the dogs bark, the train keeps rollin" and Ryan keeps depositing big money in the bank!

But...as much as I like Ryan...I'm not sure the talent level is there to become a next MC or RC, JS level. That's a TALL order there. I sure hope I'm wrong, but we shall see!
observer
4/27/2010 11:21am
"That is why you see guys like JLaw or Josh Hanson with plenty of sponsorship opportunity"

It is an absolute mystery to me why these guys have ANY support whatsoever!
Unbelievable...
Mojo
4/27/2010 11:22am
I really want to like Dungey. I really do. But every time he is interviewed or anything he's like a broken record. "were just working hard and moving forward" or "im superpumped to be here, and just having fun with it"...

Sponsors love charisma and personality. look at nick wey. normally a 12th place dude, but much more well known than a lot of the guys who routinely beat him
Trent179
4/27/2010 11:38am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2010 11:39am
motowhore wrote:
to a level no other rider has. Heres why: He has the GQ looks He is very well spoken He is up there with the best...
to a level no other rider has. Heres why:

He has the GQ looks
He is very well spoken
He is up there with the best in talent
He acts professionally
Hell, he already has huge sponsors like Target and NIKE on board.

I would not be surprised to see him become the biggest and richest ever. Just because we have never had such a marketable rider.

Jeremy took the sport to it's current level, with big salaries, sponsors, etc...
I think Dungey is the first guy that could become even bigger. And unlike some of the recent champs... This guy is humble.
I disagree. He is a great role model and really fast. RD just doesn't have the best personality, seems kinda boring. He acts like he doesn't enjoy anything but MX. He needs to add a little zest everyonce and a while, like not back down from J-Law when he messes with him. Stand up for yourself every now and then. People love drama! Still, tons of respect for the kid though.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/27/2010 11:57am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:26pm
observer wrote:
[i]"That is why you see guys like JLaw or Josh Hanson with plenty of sponsorship opportunity"[/i] It is an absolute mystery to me why these guys...
"That is why you see guys like JLaw or Josh Hanson with plenty of sponsorship opportunity"

It is an absolute mystery to me why these guys have ANY support whatsoever!
Unbelievable...
Why do the Raiders have fans?

Why is the Mulisha so popular? Metal Mulisha clothes are in Macy's now!

Hanson is a fan favorite at X games. Monster recognizes that. You got to remember the X games crowd is a lot different then us core fans on this site.

(I am a Hanson fan)
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/27/2010 12:20pm
I was talking about the band, mmmmbop like you have above not the rider.
motowhore
4/27/2010 1:28pm
So after reading all this...

Dungey, go join Metal Mulisha, and bone Paris Hilton!
mxface
4/27/2010 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:26pm
I like Dungey so lets not forget that. With so many injuries this year, Reed, Stewart, Grant, Villipoto, to name a few. I feel he won...
I like Dungey so lets not forget that. With so many injuries this year, Reed, Stewart, Grant, Villipoto, to name a few. I feel he won because he outlasted the the rest of the competition.
zippy895 wrote:
I remember those championships, and I also remember that aside from his SX Lites title last year, he lucked out in all of them.

250 Nationals: Pourcel had the championship locked up until the second to last round when his bike blew up. At the time he was about 15 points ahead. Dungey won by default.

MXoN: Cairoli dominated the first MX1 race with Reed not far behind. The only reason the US and Dungey won is Cairoli, Reed, and Paulin all went down in the second moto. Again, Dungey by default.

2010 SX: Let's see, Stewart: Out; Reed: Out, Grant: Out; Short: Out. RV was with in striking distance (after being more than 25 points down at one point), when he got hurt. If the momentum had stayed that way, it would have come down to the wire.

The only similarity between Dungey and MC is that they both ride motorcycles. McGrath was far and away the best rider of his era. RD has a long, long, long way to go to reach the level of dominance, personality, and style that the King had/has.

I like Dungey and do think that he is a positive influence for the sport, but he is also about as exciting stale tortilla chips. The kid needs some PR lessons. It is ok to speak your mind occasionally, in fact that is a good thing. He is losing fans by being so bland 100 percent of the time. He wasn't always this way, but in the last two seasons he has become robotic. Loosen up!
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/27/2010 1:33pm
motowhore wrote:
So after reading all this...

Dungey, go join Metal Mulisha, and bone Paris Hilton!
and race X games.

honestly, I am thinking Lindsey Lohan though.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
4/27/2010 1:50pm
Dungey is very brandable, and part of that is choosing a brand that fits and running with it. He doesn't have to pitch to the outlaw brand, and that's a brand that's pretty well covered in any event.

I do think he'd do well to get (or continue) polishing his public speaking and presentation. It's not that he's bad at it, he's better than most, but he's still pretty raw.
txmxer
4/27/2010 1:51pm
We've had dominant riders.

If we can see some serious battles that last for a few years, that will be great. Trading championships like the '80s? Ryan and Ryan...a few more years from Reed. Hopefully Stewart will stick around a while. BUT, these guys need to be able to challenge Stewart more than just wait for him to take himself out. If they can do that, the sport has a shot to build some momentum.

It's not really about 1 guy at this point. And, next year in SX should be epic. Reed, Dungey, CP, Reed, Canard. If just one of those guys can mount a challenge to JS7 in a race, it will open up opportunities for the others to challenge as well. Heck, shouldn't forget Hill or Milsaps. Maybe a few others. Talent is getting deep on the big bikes.

Post a reply to: Dungey could take this sport

The Latest