Dungey bar bend

datkin128
Anyone know what bar bend Dungey uses?
|
a22
7/21/2016 3:30pm
Would imagine he doesn't drink or really go out to bars or clubs much. Doesn't really seem like that sort of dude.
datkin128
7/21/2016 3:39pm
a22 wrote:
Would imagine he doesn't drink or really go out to bars or clubs much. Doesn't really seem like that sort of dude.
Haha! I answered my own question. Renthal 821 McGrath/short bend. Thanks motocross action
peelout
7/21/2016 3:46pm
a22 wrote:
you might be surprised, some of the biggest lushes i've ever met are the clean cut straight and narrow kinda people. you think he came up with GoldenRod while sober? think again bro.

i'd power drink with him and his lady on the boat any day
a22
7/21/2016 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 3:56pm
a22 wrote:
peelout wrote:
you might be surprised, some of the biggest lushes i've ever met are the clean cut straight and narrow kinda people. you think he came up...
you might be surprised, some of the biggest lushes i've ever met are the clean cut straight and narrow kinda people. you think he came up with GoldenRod while sober? think again bro.

Yea- maybe so actually- I did in fact see some snaps of him the other day with his kit off, riding his bike- not sure why exactly- don't think he was drunk also though but suppose drink could have played a part!
WoohooLaughing

The Shop

tuggy450
7/21/2016 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 9:08pm
goldenrod bar stamp it
7/21/2016 7:33pm
I'm 99.99 percent sure he runs some 1 off special bar bend thats a variation of one of the traditional renthal bar bends. I read that in the mxa mag thay tested his 2015 mx championship bike.
Benihana225
7/21/2016 9:50pm
a22 wrote:
peelout wrote:
you might be surprised, some of the biggest lushes i've ever met are the clean cut straight and narrow kinda people. you think he came up...

Goldenrod is a main street in Orlando by the Airport
Grizz
7/21/2016 11:05pm
a22 wrote:
peelout wrote:

It's also a town in Florida in the Orlando area.
MR. X
7/22/2016 6:12am
peelout wrote:

He only does power hour ,nothing less.
jrrundle
7/22/2016 7:00am
peelout wrote:

Grizz wrote:
It's also a town in Florida in the Orlando area.
It was also my stage name in college
Thelen20
7/22/2016 8:24am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2016 10:51am
datkin128 wrote:
Haha! I answered my own question. Renthal 821 McGrath/short bend. Thanks motocross action
Huh, a taller guy running one of the shortest bars they offer??? Wonder why
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/22/2016 8:28am
datkin128 wrote:
Thelen20 wrote:
Leverage. I'm 6'1..... probably 4 to 5 inches taller than him and run the McGrath bend too
IWreckALot
7/22/2016 8:31am
datkin128 wrote:
Thelen20 wrote:
Dungey's position on the bike has always looked a bit different to me. I can't quite figure out what it is, but there is a difference in his riding style and most others.
datkin128
7/22/2016 9:02am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2016 9:02am
datkin128 wrote:
Thelen20 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Dungey's position on the bike has always looked a bit different to me. I can't quite figure out what it is, but there is a difference...
Dungey's position on the bike has always looked a bit different to me. I can't quite figure out what it is, but there is a difference in his riding style and most others.
so the reason I even asked this question is because I rode a friend's bike recently who had the carmichael bend (pro taper which are really low) on his bike. I felt like my arms were in a much more natural position turning and turning was easier in general. I'm 6'3" and have running the KTM high bar with my bar mounts moved forward. After riding his bike, it makes me want to try a shorter bar and move it back and see how it feels. I've read tall bars are bad for turning and shorter bars help in that area. If you look at a lot of the pro's bikes, they don't have tall bars, even taller guys like Dungey and Tomac.
PRM31
7/22/2016 9:10am
I have the Carmichael bend Pro Tapers on my RM 125. What are others using for width? I usually cut bars down a bit, but before I do I need to do a bit of research.
7/22/2016 9:36am
a22 wrote:
datkin128 wrote:
I'm 99.9999999 percent sure it's some special slight unique variation to this bar bend. It's a one off bar bend made by renthal for him. I'll try to find the mxa mag that says this. It's the mag that test his 2015 mx championship bike.

I'm sure 821 bar bend is so close wouldn't be able to tell diff anyways
datkin128
7/22/2016 10:34am
a22 wrote:
datkin128 wrote:
I'm 99.9999999 percent sure it's some special slight unique variation to this bar bend. It's a one off bar bend made by renthal for him. I'll...
I'm 99.9999999 percent sure it's some special slight unique variation to this bar bend. It's a one off bar bend made by renthal for him. I'll try to find the mxa mag that says this. It's the mag that test his 2015 mx championship bike.

I'm sure 821 bar bend is so close wouldn't be able to tell diff anyways
you are correct, i just read it yesterday. But it also said that it's a very small difference most people wouldn't notice.
Thelen20
7/22/2016 11:24am
datkin128 wrote:
so the reason I even asked this question is because I rode a friend's bike recently who had the carmichael bend (pro taper which are really...
so the reason I even asked this question is because I rode a friend's bike recently who had the carmichael bend (pro taper which are really low) on his bike. I felt like my arms were in a much more natural position turning and turning was easier in general. I'm 6'3" and have running the KTM high bar with my bar mounts moved forward. After riding his bike, it makes me want to try a shorter bar and move it back and see how it feels. I've read tall bars are bad for turning and shorter bars help in that area. If you look at a lot of the pro's bikes, they don't have tall bars, even taller guys like Dungey and Tomac.
I was interested in this thread for the same reasons. I am 6'1" and just bent my pro taper Windham rm mid's on my 15' 250sx. When I got the bike they were in the forward position and rolled forward. I rolled em back and that improved the front end feel and stability quite a bit but still too twitchy for my taste. Moved the mounts back to the rear hole in the triples and again it seemed better but I am still searching for the stability and front end feel I had on my 04 CRF250 with the stock renthal 971's. I had a 07 CRF 450 between the 250f and the ktm that I never was able to dial in like my 250f. The pro taper Windham rm mid and renthal 971 are pretty similar . . . I used to bang my knees into the bottom of the bars in the ruts from time to time on my Honda, not having that issue on the ktm, I'm thinking because the bars are higher.

I have tried a bunch of other things with my setup to get that stability and feel I am searching for . . . Pushed the forks down in the triples, more race sag, faster rebound on the forks, softer comp on the shock, etc. . .

I figured since I had to get bars anyway I would do a bit of research and I found the same thing, pros tend to run low and rolled back bars, not that I am a pro and need what they need, lol. But I figured it was worth changing something up a bit just to see how it felt.

I went to a 994 twinwall "ktm high", same height as my pro tapers cause I am on the taller side, much straighter and also wider should mean better leverage. Have not rode with them yet. We will see!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/22/2016 11:33am
Taller guys, usually have longer arms. Not sure why everyone always assumes that a taller bar would be a better fit....

brimx153
7/22/2016 2:19pm
datkin128 wrote:
so the reason I even asked this question is because I rode a friend's bike recently who had the carmichael bend (pro taper which are really...
Thelen20 wrote:
I was interested in this thread for the same reasons. I am 6'1" and just bent my pro taper Windham rm mid's on my 15' 250sx...
I was interested in this thread for the same reasons. I am 6'1" and just bent my pro taper Windham rm mid's on my 15' 250sx. When I got the bike they were in the forward position and rolled forward. I rolled em back and that improved the front end feel and stability quite a bit but still too twitchy for my taste. Moved the mounts back to the rear hole in the triples and again it seemed better but I am still searching for the stability and front end feel I had on my 04 CRF250 with the stock renthal 971's. I had a 07 CRF 450 between the 250f and the ktm that I never was able to dial in like my 250f. The pro taper Windham rm mid and renthal 971 are pretty similar . . . I used to bang my knees into the bottom of the bars in the ruts from time to time on my Honda, not having that issue on the ktm, I'm thinking because the bars are higher.

I have tried a bunch of other things with my setup to get that stability and feel I am searching for . . . Pushed the forks down in the triples, more race sag, faster rebound on the forks, softer comp on the shock, etc. . .

I figured since I had to get bars anyway I would do a bit of research and I found the same thing, pros tend to run low and rolled back bars, not that I am a pro and need what they need, lol. But I figured it was worth changing something up a bit just to see how it felt.

I went to a 994 twinwall "ktm high", same height as my pro tapers cause I am on the taller side, much straighter and also wider should mean better leverage. Have not rode with them yet. We will see!
I love KTM high( well i run factory Suzuki bend pro tape.r same bend tho ) . it helped me soooo much with arm pump . the bar is alot straighter than most and does nt put ur wrist in a kink as much which makes it easier turn on the gas imo . i always roll them back as far as i can get away with , deff helps in turn s . Tomac runs ktm high bars . i am nearly sure kroc does aswell (well odi version of the same bend ) nearly everyone i know runs 997 and i hate that bar , really high and alot of sweep
peelout
7/22/2016 2:28pm
langhammx wrote:
Taller guys, usually have longer arms. Not sure why everyone always assumes that a taller bar would be a better fit....

my 525EXC has the low footpeg setup and the bar risers, dude i bought it from is 6'-9" and weighs probably 300. i took the bar risers off, left the pegs, and will get a lower bar. i'm 6'-2", but i really really don't like tall setups
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/22/2016 4:56pm
langhammx wrote:

peelout wrote:
my 525EXC has the low footpeg setup and the bar risers, dude i bought it from is 6'-9" and weighs probably 300. i took the bar...
my 525EXC has the low footpeg setup and the bar risers, dude i bought it from is 6'-9" and weighs probably 300. i took the bar risers off, left the pegs, and will get a lower bar. i'm 6'-2", but i really really don't like tall setups
+1 to this.

I'll add that tall seats are the devil
Thelen20
7/22/2016 9:02pm
brimx153 wrote:
I love KTM high( well i run factory Suzuki bend pro tape.r same bend tho ) . it helped me soooo much with arm pump...
I love KTM high( well i run factory Suzuki bend pro tape.r same bend tho ) . it helped me soooo much with arm pump . the bar is alot straighter than most and does nt put ur wrist in a kink as much which makes it easier turn on the gas imo . i always roll them back as far as i can get away with , deff helps in turn s . Tomac runs ktm high bars . i am nearly sure kroc does aswell (well odi version of the same bend ) nearly everyone i know runs 997 and i hate that bar , really high and alot of sweep
Nice! Even more excited to ride them now!

I did some googling for specific bends that certain riders run but I didn't come up with much. That is cool info cause I have been very curious the last couple weeks
7/22/2016 9:16pm
I spent big money on a tall set up, bars, clamps to move bars forward, seat and lower pegs.

I hated it, the bike didnt turn in, my arm pump was worse. And my suspesion set up was all shit again.
In the end i just ran it all standard and kept the lower pegs wich made it easier to stand and sit.

Although later that year my foot got caught in a small rut and i fractured my tib fib!
datkin128
7/23/2016 5:53am
brimx153 wrote:
I love KTM high( well i run factory Suzuki bend pro tape.r same bend tho ) . it helped me soooo much with arm pump...
Thelen20 wrote:
Nice! Even more excited to ride them now! I did some googling for specific bends that certain riders run but I didn't come up with much...
Nice! Even more excited to ride them now!

I did some googling for specific bends that certain riders run but I didn't come up with much. That is cool info cause I have been very curious the last couple weeks
I found an old article from mxa that listed what the pros ran from 2012. The twinwall 997 and 998 were the most popular. Seely ran the 999. Dungey the fatbar 821 bend. Here is the link:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/mxas-weekend-news-round-up-what…
Thelen20
7/23/2016 6:27am
datkin128 wrote:
I found an old article from mxa that listed what the pros ran from 2012. The twinwall 997 and 998 were the most popular. Seely ran...
I found an old article from mxa that listed what the pros ran from 2012. The twinwall 997 and 998 were the most popular. Seely ran the 999. Dungey the fatbar 821 bend. Here is the link:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/mxas-weekend-news-round-up-what…
That is a cool write up, herlings also uses the 997 but I just felt like it was too similar to the Windham rm mid that i already had. The only real difference is the 997 is 6mm taller which I decided was not the direction I wanted to go.
RacerX8
7/23/2016 10:16am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2016 10:16am
For width I tend to go with the old rule, get down on the floor in the push up position because your body should automatically assume its most natural power position. Have a tape measure on the floor, take your pinkie to pinkie span and cut the bars to fit. As far as height, the tallest ape hanger I can find with the most vertical handgrip position is the answer here! Seriously it would be nice to hit the track for a day with a Renthal van in attendance so a guy could try a dozen different bars, just ride and swap Smile

Post a reply to: Dungey bar bend

The Latest