Dungey: 50 overall podiums in 56 450 MX starts... Wow

zehn
Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 11:55am
Say what you want about this inability to pass at times and his lack of "intensity", but Dungey truly is one of the greatest riders in MX history. He's fallen a little short in terms of championships (a la Stewart), but man, the guy is incredible when it comes to consistency.

PS: He was just a couple mechanicals away from winning 1 (maybe 2) more MX championships on the Zook.
|
Bultaco
7/19/2014 6:22pm
I am a Dungey guy all the way and agree that he is great. No matter which of the elite (Chad, James, Eli, Ryan V, etc) are going fast in a given series (and it is almost always a different one) Dungey is either leading or dogging the leader for the win.
MW19
7/19/2014 6:23pm
Agreed. Always been a huge Dungey fan although I get disappointed a lot by the way he rides. He could be even better if he didn't get in his own way.
zehn
7/19/2014 6:39pm
Bultaco wrote:
I am a Dungey guy all the way and agree that he is great. No matter which of the elite (Chad, James, Eli, Ryan V, etc)...
I am a Dungey guy all the way and agree that he is great. No matter which of the elite (Chad, James, Eli, Ryan V, etc) are going fast in a given series (and it is almost always a different one) Dungey is either leading or dogging the leader for the win.
That's very true. You almost never see him have a bad day, and when he does, he goes 4-5 for 3rd overall.
Thelen20
7/19/2014 6:44pm
That is an incredible stat! I was blown away when i heard that today, when he was on tomac's tail in moto 2 today he was on it, looked as fast as i have ever seen him ride! Stud!!!

The Shop

ChrisB10
7/19/2014 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 6:50pm
I was extremely disappointed in the Dunge Dizzle today but that stat is mind blowing!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine if a rider had Stewie's talent and Dungey's consistency?
wow123
7/19/2014 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 6:56pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
I was extremely disappointed in the Dunge Dizzle today but that stat is mind blowing!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine if a rider had Stewie's talent and Dungey's consistency?
you'd get the goat

bents
Fantasy
710th
7/19/2014 7:05pm
That is impressive. Guy is a stud.
zehn
7/19/2014 7:26pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
wow123 wrote:
you'd get the goat

Eh, I'll agree that Carmichael was and will always be the GOAT, but I do think Stewie had the edge in terms of raw talent. IMO
Huevos
7/19/2014 7:37pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
wow123 wrote:
you'd get the goat

zehn wrote:
Eh, I'll agree that Carmichael was and will always be the GOAT, but I do think Stewie had the edge in terms of raw talent. IMO
Which goes to show that talent alone will only get you so far. Consistency and fitness seem to win more championships than just raw talent (i.e.- Hansen, Pastrana, Pourcel, J-Law).
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/19/2014 8:51pm
That is an impressive stat.

He was fun to watch today, looked like he was pushing a little more than usual.
BUTCH
7/19/2014 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 8:55pm
That's lites and 450 combined....not just 450
7/19/2014 9:04pm
MW19 wrote:
Agreed. Always been a huge Dungey fan although I get disappointed a lot by the way he rides. He could be even better if he didn't...
Agreed. Always been a huge Dungey fan although I get disappointed a lot by the way he rides. He could be even better if he didn't get in his own way.
Or maybe he'd be worse?

Maybe he's doing the absolute best he could and any more risks would result in the occasional gamble paying off but would also result in more injuries and less consistency.

It's not like we're saying he's a consistent top 7 guy with occasional podium.

The only people that beat him are usually the race winners or runners up. That's incredible any way u look at it. Because the difference between 3rd & 1st at that level probably has more to do with whom got their setup just a hair more dialed in for that moto.
zehn
7/19/2014 10:47pm
BUTCH wrote:
That's lites and 450 combined....not just 450
You sure? I don't remember him missing an MX start since he came up to the 450s in 2010. 4 X 12 = 48 plus 8 races this year makes 56.
jeffro503
7/20/2014 12:18am
Well.....I'm an RV fan ( as I am of many riders ) and RD is just plain and simple.....a friggin ' beast! The dude is a machine out there at times. Just when you are about to count him out.....he starts pushing the envelope.

Until today.....the stats that they mentioned during the broadcast , I had no idea. That is pretty incredible when you think about it.

50 podiums....in 56 starts??? Jesus! He is the definition of " Consistency " !!

RD is a bad dude for sure!
bobby397
7/20/2014 5:01am
jeffro503 wrote:
Well.....I'm an RV fan ( as I am of many riders ) and RD is just plain and simple.....a friggin ' beast! The dude is a...
Well.....I'm an RV fan ( as I am of many riders ) and RD is just plain and simple.....a friggin ' beast! The dude is a machine out there at times. Just when you are about to count him out.....he starts pushing the envelope.

Until today.....the stats that they mentioned during the broadcast , I had no idea. That is pretty incredible when you think about it.

And more than likely 3 of the 6 wasn't his fault. Southwick the bike wouldn't start, freestone? He ran outta gas while leading, and I think he had a chain issue one year I forget?
davistld01
7/20/2014 5:56am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 6:02am
ChrisB10 wrote:
wow123 wrote:
you'd get the goat

zehn wrote:
I'd have to agree, but RC simply refused to lose. He had the will & ability to push himself way beyond his limit to beat those (like Stewart) who had more sheer talent. He was never one of these "head case" riders that had to have everything just right to go fast. He just put his head down & went for it. To me, that's why Ricky is the best ever.

Dungey has a lot of RC's traits. He'll always be up there. The problem now is you've got youngsters coming up that aren't afraid to twist the throttle harder & longer.,

zehn
7/20/2014 1:10pm
bobby397 wrote:
And more than likely 3 of the 6 wasn't his fault. Southwick the bike wouldn't start, freestone? He ran outta gas while leading, and I think...
And more than likely 3 of the 6 wasn't his fault. Southwick the bike wouldn't start, freestone? He ran outta gas while leading, and I think he had a chain issue one year I forget?
I believe the chain issue was during SX, unless it happened multiple times.
DownSouth
7/20/2014 1:58pm
89.3% podium ratio in 450 MX. Not too shabby!
Ebs
7/20/2014 3:30pm
diesel dungey
JPT
7/20/2014 3:32pm
I think he'd a made a race of Moto 2 if he hadn't clipped that lapper. He was gaining.
Ing
7/20/2014 5:46pm
Dungey has been my favorite rider from his 250 days. My Dad started pulling for him before I even knew who he was and I just kind of picked it up from him. That stat is just unreal. I knew he was consistent but 50 out of 56 is damn near unbelievable consistency. A tip of the hat to RD.
OldPro277
7/20/2014 7:06pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
Yes,and his name would be Ryan Villopoto ......
Titan1
7/20/2014 7:27pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call RV consistent...how many championships has he either crashed out of and/or missed because of injury? How about dungey?
7/20/2014 10:22pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call RV consistent...how many championships has he either crashed out of and/or missed because of injury? How about dungey?
Since 2008 Dungey has not finished a season in SX or MX lower than 3rd in the standings, through all his DNF's, such as his chain breaking, chain coming off, running out of fuel, bike not starting until after the gate drops and a cracked collar bone. Since his first pro race in 2006, approximately 164 races have been held (that he was eligible to ride in) and Dungey has only missed 7 races total due to injuries. That doesn't even count his races in 450 SX when he was a 250 rider, the US Open, the Monster Cup or the five times at MXdN. Dungey is a beast.
DanDunes818
7/20/2014 11:27pm
The other day I was trying to think of the last time I remember Dungey crashing super hard. The only crash I could come up with that I consider a gnarly crash was Red Bud in his rookie year as a pro. He knocked himself silly on that step down. Like someone else said, you can knock him all you want for his lack of aggression, but unlike 99% of guys with his success, he is setting himself up to retire healthier than any rider with his success. Super wealthy, with Hall of Fame stats in this sport usually comes with a laundry list of fractures, breaks, concussions, surgeries and more. Think about it. Has Ryan ever worn a cast since turning pro? Broken a femur? Leg? Arm? Back? Wrist? Ankle? Other than one concussion and a cracked collar bone the man is unscathed. The man is incredible.
Seamorbutts
7/20/2014 11:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 11:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well.....I'm an RV fan ( as I am of many riders ) and RD is just plain and simple.....a friggin ' beast! The dude is a...

Why the heck can't you use comma's? You know five periods is not a comma nor a period, right? Hurts my head to try and read your stuff.
Titan1
7/21/2014 10:14am
OldPro277 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Since 2008 Dungey has not finished a season in SX or MX lower than 3rd in the standings, through all his DNF's, such as his chain...
Since 2008 Dungey has not finished a season in SX or MX lower than 3rd in the standings, through all his DNF's, such as his chain breaking, chain coming off, running out of fuel, bike not starting until after the gate drops and a cracked collar bone. Since his first pro race in 2006, approximately 164 races have been held (that he was eligible to ride in) and Dungey has only missed 7 races total due to injuries. That doesn't even count his races in 450 SX when he was a 250 rider, the US Open, the Monster Cup or the five times at MXdN. Dungey is a beast.
That is exactly what I was referring too...

Titan1
7/21/2014 10:18am
The other day I was trying to think of the last time I remember Dungey crashing super hard. The only crash I could come up with...
The other day I was trying to think of the last time I remember Dungey crashing super hard. The only crash I could come up with that I consider a gnarly crash was Red Bud in his rookie year as a pro. He knocked himself silly on that step down. Like someone else said, you can knock him all you want for his lack of aggression, but unlike 99% of guys with his success, he is setting himself up to retire healthier than any rider with his success. Super wealthy, with Hall of Fame stats in this sport usually comes with a laundry list of fractures, breaks, concussions, surgeries and more. Think about it. Has Ryan ever worn a cast since turning pro? Broken a femur? Leg? Arm? Back? Wrist? Ankle? Other than one concussion and a cracked collar bone the man is unscathed. The man is incredible.
Great...now you just jinxed him. Wink lol
IWreckALot
7/21/2014 10:21am
ChrisB10 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
You wouldn't call that consistent?

I kid I kid.

Post a reply to: Dungey: 50 overall podiums in 56 450 MX starts... Wow

The Latest