Dropping your worst finish.

level
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 6:49pm
I really believe that Motocross and Supercross needs to undergo some serious changes. The sport has grown considerably in the last decade. I think looking to how Nascar does things can really improve the sport.

That being said. What do you guys think about riders being able to drop there worst finish of the season?
With so many things that can go wrong from a first turn pileup, mechanical failure, limited injury, flu, other sickness, etc. Having one bad finish can really be detrimental to a riders championships hope.

I don't know why it would really hurt. Everybody benefits from it. I think it's something that should seriously be considered.
|
level
8/4/2011 10:15pm
Because there is a lot at stake. Like you said-it's a professional sport and should be treated as such. It needs to evolve. It's not like it was 20 years ago. There is big money in the sport now.
JB 19
8/4/2011 10:23pm
Like old fart said, its a professional sport.........not nascar. Nascar car is right up there with WWF wrestling.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/4/2011 10:24pm
So NASCAR lets the drivers drop their worst finish? (Yeah, I know they've got a playoff system, etc.) But really, in the first half of the season, it all counts, right?

I wonder what some of the old school pros, or even current guys like Barcia, who've ridden through injuries to take titles would think about the idea?

My guess is that they'd also suggest that today's riders be given milk and cookies after races, and be told they did good, even if they had a bad day to keep their self-esteem high.

All the teams and riders play by the same rules. Have the same risk, etc. I think it should be left alone.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
8/4/2011 10:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2011 10:31pm
level wrote:
I really believe that Motocross and Supercross needs to undergo some serious changes. The sport has grown considerably in the last decade. I think looking to...
I really believe that Motocross and Supercross needs to undergo some serious changes. The sport has grown considerably in the last decade. I think looking to how Nascar does things can really improve the sport.

That being said. What do you guys think about riders being able to drop there worst finish of the season?
With so many things that can go wrong from a first turn pileup, mechanical failure, limited injury, flu, other sickness, etc. Having one bad finish can really be detrimental to a riders championships hope.

I don't know why it would really hurt. Everybody benefits from it. I think it's something that should seriously be considered.
* Edit, I disagree. Think of college football bowl games and the NCAA March madness tournament. When its time to play you put up or shut up.

Oh and should we give them all trophies too? (sorry couldnt resist, just poking fun)
I personally like it the way it is. RC didnt have any trouble winning races or championships. You make your own luck. I.e. dont want to get in a first turn pile up? Get a good start. Dont want to run out of gas? Make sure you fill the bike up before the moto..oh wait Whistling

They still cant tell me they filled that thing up and expect me to believe it "evaporated". And while we are on that, yes Im a Dungey fan and no that is not a valid excuse if he loses the title by less than 25 points. Someone screwed up, sad that Ryan had to take the fall, but someone screwed up, it happens. Its in the past, move on. After that moto there were still 20 more to go.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/4/2011 10:29pm
mx 219 wrote:
* Edit, I disagree. Think of college football bowl games and the NCAA March madness tournament. When its time to play you put up or shut...
* Edit, I disagree. Think of college football bowl games and the NCAA March madness tournament. When its time to play you put up or shut up.

Oh and should we give them all trophies too? (sorry couldnt resist, just poking fun)
I personally like it the way it is. RC didnt have any trouble winning races or championships. You make your own luck. I.e. dont want to get in a first turn pile up? Get a good start. Dont want to run out of gas? Make sure you fill the bike up before the moto..oh wait Whistling

They still cant tell me they filled that thing up and expect me to believe it "evaporated". And while we are on that, yes Im a Dungey fan and no that is not a valid excuse if he loses the title by less than 25 points. Someone screwed up, sad that Ryan had to take the fall, but someone screwed up, it happens. Its in the past, move on. After that moto there were still 20 more to go.
Dungey wasn't the only rider who had fuel issues in the second moto. I think you're barking up the wrong tree, trying to pin it on someone (I assume Goose).
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
8/4/2011 10:37pm
I cant blame Goose because I dont know the FACTS. Did it run out because they didnt top off or re-fill the bike at all for that matter? Did it run out quicker because they were running a different type of fuel as someone eluded to before?

Idk the answer to those...the only other rider I heard of that ran out of gas Metcalfe on the way to the truck. So if it was just Team Suzuki then maybe it was the latter of the two I just posted. Who knows it could be something completley different, I honestly dont know.

But I cant see how they would run out of gas if they had topped off though. What size are their tanks??
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
8/4/2011 10:37pm
yeah, and maybe have judges and phone in text by the fans to decide who really should have won the series too
Mod Killer
8/4/2011 10:52pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
yeah, and maybe have judges and phone in text by the fans to decide who really should have won the series too
hahahaha.......slapaho once again makes a funny.

i'd respond to the OP, but i'd just be repeating whatever oldfart has already said.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/4/2011 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2011 11:23am
level wrote:
I really believe that Motocross and Supercross needs to undergo some serious changes. The sport has grown considerably in the last decade. I think looking to...

Yeah and you want to change the start to have a single file start or rolling start just because you are scared of the first corner when everyone comes off the same gate. Woohoo
Thor34103
8/5/2011 3:22am
I haven't considered dropping the worst finish, but would like for them to consider how the points system work for the nationals. Instead of just the top 20 getting points, why not pay points to all 40 positions? Just qualifying for a national is an achievement that you should be rewarded for. In addition, with only the top 20 getting points what is the motivation to use yourself up the first moto if you are not running in the top 30? Let the other put up with the heat, humidity, etc. and be fresh for the second moto. Pay points to all positions and it makes all positions meaningful.

That's my 2 cents......
SteveS
8/5/2011 5:08am
There is someone who doesn't benefit from a "dropping the worst finish" points scheme. That's the racer who is a "Mr. Consistency." Doesn't have bad races, depends on having every point from every moto counting.
JB 19
8/5/2011 5:39am
Thor34103 wrote:
I haven't considered dropping the worst finish, but would like for them to consider how the points system work for the nationals. Instead of just the...
I haven't considered dropping the worst finish, but would like for them to consider how the points system work for the nationals. Instead of just the top 20 getting points, why not pay points to all 40 positions? Just qualifying for a national is an achievement that you should be rewarded for. In addition, with only the top 20 getting points what is the motivation to use yourself up the first moto if you are not running in the top 30? Let the other put up with the heat, humidity, etc. and be fresh for the second moto. Pay points to all positions and it makes all positions meaningful.

That's my 2 cents......
I actually agree with that.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
8/5/2011 5:44am
One of the reasons i cant get into NASCAR is the whole points system, it actually all looks good, then all of a sudden with racing still left in the season only the top ten or so get put in a chase for the title yet every grid is still full, why are these other cars even there getting in the way if they are not a factor, weird!

A championship is a championship contested over every single round, minimising those bad days and results as an indiviudal and as a team all counts to winning the championship, dropping rounds should never be an option.
Ashleymx
8/5/2011 5:54am
Extreme example why not. Rider A and B swap wins all season except one round where rider B gets drunk the night before and comes in at 10th for one moto. He drops a 10th and rider A drops a second. Hows that fair?
ODB
8/5/2011 5:58am
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT ......................all your theory does it negate the good finish one guy has when the other guy has a bad one .....................thats why they race all over the country on different tracks ...........the racings great leave it alone .............try and come up with a theory for the stockbrokers bankrupting your country
level
8/5/2011 6:16am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2011 6:17am
Your all wrong. They need to drop the worst finish. Smile

Guyb got all worked up. ha. and they should give milk and cookies after each race. That would be very nice. Milk is good. Smile

P.S. I really think a rolling start should be considered also. Shit, shouldn't of said that.
SteveS
8/5/2011 6:27am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2011 6:28am
They give milk after the Indy 500 but nobody drinks it any more. They pour it over their heads. Durn furriners.
markmon88
8/5/2011 7:21am
Rolling start, 3 judges (Carmichael, Mcgrath, and paula Abdoul). Fans decide who wins, and everyone gets points. This sounds AWSOME! Why not give the Riders the ability to pick up a weapon or 2 in several places on the track. Nun chucks, bo staffs, maybe a chain saw. Oh and maybe you could put those nitrous boosts on the track (like in excite bike).
CamP
8/5/2011 7:25am
They should just had out the points after practice. That way the fastest guy always gets the most points.
zippy895
8/5/2011 7:28am
level wrote:

they do this kind of stuff in pre pro racing.the big times now. everything counts ,no more breaks or mulligans.
8/5/2011 8:31am
level wrote:

Sure let's do that. While we're at it we could drop the slowest lap of each moto, and if a rider misses a triple we could give him the extra 1 second back. Shoot, let's go with this and make take out the hardest turns on tracks, smooth out the whoops and not make any hard sections. I know, we could just make straight-a-ways with a few pot-holes in the them and the riders could race those.
peelout
8/5/2011 9:52am
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom"

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/5/2011 9:59am
They used to drop motos in the early days of the GP's (like into the early 70's), motivated largely by how common breakdowns were.
rocrac
8/5/2011 10:05am
I'm of the opinion they don't give enough points to the OA winners and that goes for nastycar racing too. As a fan, I want to see a nasty drag out brawls for raceday wins not cruising around earning points for championships.
The Rock
8/5/2011 10:16am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2011 10:18am
GuyB wrote:
So NASCAR lets the drivers drop their worst finish? (Yeah, I know they've got a playoff system, etc.) But really, in the first half of the...
So NASCAR lets the drivers drop their worst finish? (Yeah, I know they've got a playoff system, etc.) But really, in the first half of the season, it all counts, right?

I wonder what some of the old school pros, or even current guys like Barcia, who've ridden through injuries to take titles would think about the idea?

My guess is that they'd also suggest that today's riders be given milk and cookies after races, and be told they did good, even if they had a bad day to keep their self-esteem high.

All the teams and riders play by the same rules. Have the same risk, etc. I think it should be left alone.
In the late 80s F1 drivers dropped their worst finish or possibly their two worst finishes.

GuyB your point about riders riding through injuries might build a case that could possibly support this concept. Reason I say this is as much as i love this sport and eat, sleep, breathe it I also recognize their is more to life than racing MX or winning championships.

Are our MX warriors riding through injuries now that they'll be paying for in spades when they get older?

This dropping worst finishes needs serious debate before consideration is giving to implementing it but I think Thor's idea of paying points all the way to 40th is a great idea to the point (no pun intended) of being a no brainer. Someone tell me what would be the downside please.
redrider52
8/5/2011 10:19am
The only change I think that should be made is considering having a full 16 race sx season for the lites class instead of the regional classes. People always said that the lites class has been a stepping stone class, but with the depth of that class I'd say it has become a class of its own.

Think of the caliber of racing that could take place with that change. There's always one coast each year that is a snoozer due to one or two riders winning each week and destroying the rest of the field. So instead of having the Barcia/Wilson battle and the Hansen/Tickle battle you could possibly have a 4-5 way battle each weekend. It would be an East/west shootout each weekend

Besides that, I don't see anything that should be changed
level
8/5/2011 11:58am
See I knew my idea wasn't that far off. Couple people kind of agreed with me and it used to be done in the past and in other motorsports.

You guys just don't like change. Smile
peelout
8/5/2011 1:08pm
level wrote:
See I knew my idea wasn't that far off. Couple people kind of agreed with me and it used to be done in the past and...
See I knew my idea wasn't that far off. Couple people kind of agreed with me and it used to be done in the past and in other motorsports.

You guys just don't like change. Smile
i'd like to see your avatar change

...into something smaller
level
8/5/2011 1:15pm
You talking about my signature? I do it because it helps me find my post so I can just scroll right to it and read after it.
It is Vital approved. lol
peelout
8/5/2011 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2011 1:20pm
level wrote:
You talking about my signature? I do it because it helps me find my post so I can just scroll right to it and read after...
You talking about my signature? I do it because it helps me find my post so I can just scroll right to it and read after it.
It is Vital approved. lol
no.

i'm talking about the talent in your avatar picture. something smaller as in a piece of dental floss

(but i get to watch)

Post a reply to: Dropping your worst finish.

The Latest