Doug Henry at 1995 Budds Creek: Did you see the crash?

Brett Smith
Fantasy
4015th
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2015 12:48pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to speak with fans who were at Budds Creek in June 1995, the day Doug Henry gave "Henry Hill" its namesake. I'm a writer working on a piece that will be released this spring and I'd like to interview some fans who witnessed it or the aftermath.

And if you were one of the half a dozen fans who actually leaped over the fence to come to Doug's aid while he slowly writhed on the ground then I really want to speak with you. I've been looking at the raw video of the incident, the stuff you can't find on YouTube, and saw that several spectators beat the EMTs to Doug's side.

And even if you know someone who was there, etc. etc. reach out to me at the e-mail or Instagram account below.

Thanks,

Brett Smith
bresmith@mac.com
Instagram: @wewentfast
|
1/29/2015 11:30am
I was there. I was on the topside (where he didn't land). All I heard was the largest one-time crowd sound I have ever heard at Budds, before or since. I would not have much to add beyond that.
I was also there a few seasons later when he crashed on Big Gulp and broke both wrists. I was at the bottom of the hill.
Motoxdoc
1/29/2015 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2015 12:32pm
I don't know if this is of any help but I met a chiropractor in Carlsbad CA. named Brian Austin that said he was the guy getting lapped by Doug when that happened. He said something to the effect of seeing Doug fly over his head and explode upon impact and then McGrath ride by. He said you can see him in the footage. I haven't looked at the footie since he told me that story but I did see some results of him for some Nationals and SX's from back in that era in the vault. Nice guy....and I believe him. You can find him on facebook.

I just looked at the footage and I believe that's Brian.....the closest guy to Doug when that happened!
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/29/2015 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2015 6:27am
I was there. I was on the topside (where he didn't land). All I heard was the largest one-time crowd sound I have ever heard at...
I was there. I was on the topside (where he didn't land). All I heard was the largest one-time crowd sound I have ever heard at Budds, before or since. I would not have much to add beyond that.
I was also there a few seasons later when he crashed on Big Gulp and broke both wrists. I was at the bottom of the hill.
I was there for both crashes also. While I was a distance away when he launched it in 95', I was right there at Big Gulp the year he crashed and broke both wrists on the prototype YZ400. He sat down right next to me and I helped him unbuckle his helmet since his hands were useless. Even then, he never seemed to wince in pain... he just said to me "help me take my helmet off, I think my wrists are broke".
downard254
1/29/2015 1:19pm
I was there. I was on the topside (where he didn't land). All I heard was the largest one-time crowd sound I have ever heard at...
mxrose3 wrote:
I was there for both crashes also. While I was a distance away when he launched it in 95', I was right there at Big Gulp...
I was there for both crashes also. While I was a distance away when he launched it in 95', I was right there at Big Gulp the year he crashed and broke both wrists on the prototype YZ400. He sat down right next to me and I helped him unbuckle his helmet since his hands were useless. Even then, he never seemed to wince in pain... he just said to me "help me take my helmet off, I think my wrists are broke".
Dude, you are "good people".

The Shop

7eleven
1/29/2015 1:29pm
I was in the moto too with Brian and Doug, he almost got landed on by Doug. That was some scary shit for BA.
Bummed for Doug, he was riding great that year.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
1/29/2015 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2015 3:40pm
I was there.. My vantage point can be seen in the first pic. Henry hill in the background. I saw the whole thing. This pic is from that moto. After the crash, Dougs mechanic...Pete ?.. pushed Dougs bike by us and it was pretty bent up. Looked like the rear wheel was oval, not round. We followed him to the pits.

When we got to the pits we watched as McGrath give his interview to Motoworld's Art Ekman, explaining what he saw.

I am from Connecticut and was a big Doug Henry fan.. Still am.
nc97
1/29/2015 5:26pm
I was at the bottom of the hill where he landed..never seen a bike so high in the air before .. looked like a bird ... it was unreal
Crush
1/29/2015 5:27pm
mxrose3 wrote:
I was there for both crashes also. While I was a distance away when he launched it in 95', I was right there at Big Gulp...
That's a pretty amazing story dude!!!
dedi684
1/29/2015 6:14pm
7eleven wrote:
I was in the moto too with Brian and Doug, he almost got landed on by Doug. That was some scary shit for BA. Bummed for...
I was in the moto too with Brian and Doug, he almost got landed on by Doug. That was some scary shit for BA.
Bummed for Doug, he was riding great that year.
Thats 3 nesc guys there. Smile
lumpy790
1/29/2015 6:28pm
We were in the same area both times
mxb2
1/29/2015 6:56pm
I was there at the fence lines both times, and clearly remember doug walking to fence asking someone to help him remove his helmet. Doug is a badazz.legend to me.
Pembroke36
1/29/2015 7:11pm
What't the story with that jump? Why did he launch it like that, throttle stuck?
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/29/2015 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2015 7:17pm
mxb2 wrote:
I was there at the fence lines both times, and clearly remember doug walking to fence asking someone to help him remove his helmet. Doug is...
I was there at the fence lines both times, and clearly remember doug walking to fence asking someone to help him remove his helmet. Doug is a badazz.legend to me.
Yep that was me. I couldn't believe he walked off to the side of the track after that endo right to where I was standing, but he did, and I'm sure anybody else would have done the same thing. That man is the epitome of 'never give up'
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/29/2015 7:20pm
Pembroke36 wrote:
What't the story with that jump? Why did he launch it like that, throttle stuck?
I think Doug said it was arm pump setting in, and hit a bunch of braking bumps at the top of the hill.... he was basically hanging off the back of the bike with the throttle pinned and couldn't let off in time.
mxb2
1/29/2015 7:21pm
mxb2 wrote:
I was there at the fence lines both times, and clearly remember doug walking to fence asking someone to help him remove his helmet. Doug is...
mxrose3 wrote:
Yep that was me. I couldn't believe he walked off to the side of the track after that endo right to where I was standing, but...
Yep that was me. I couldn't believe he walked off to the side of the track after that endo right to where I was standing, but he did, and I'm sure anybody else would have done the same thing. That man is the epitome of 'never give up'
Haha, cool, i was probably right beside you.
TX24
1/29/2015 7:28pm
Great stories.
wildbill
1/29/2015 7:59pm
Interview Jeremy McGrath, as he had a front row seat to the whole episode.
chrisbuehler
1/29/2015 8:11pm
Steve125 wrote:
I was there.. My vantage point can be seen in the first pic. Henry hill in the background. I saw the whole thing. This pic is...
I was there.. My vantage point can be seen in the first pic. Henry hill in the background. I saw the whole thing. This pic is from that moto. After the crash, Dougs mechanic...Pete ?.. pushed Dougs bike by us and it was pretty bent up. Looked like the rear wheel was oval, not round. We followed him to the pits.

When we got to the pits we watched as McGrath give his interview to Motoworld's Art Ekman, explaining what he saw.

From CT, too. Doug was god to me as a teen in '92. He showed up at a local NESC Central Village race on his factory Honda. Basically like Micheal Jordan stopping by to play some rec league ball. He jumped the whole front section of the track, craziest shit I've ever seen to this day. Turned a single and a double into a triple that no one in their right mind would say "you know I could jump this whole thing."
ruskymx
1/29/2015 8:18pm
I was at the 1995 event and the 1997 event as well. For 1995, I was across the track by the old finish line. It was hard to process at first when it happened. I was with my brother and a few friends and we just looked at each other and said that we thought we just witnessed some one die. I remember the announcers talking about a wire and whether or not he clipped it when he launched off the top of the hill.

Don't remember when I took this pic, but obviously it was earlier in the day. The staring gate used to be behind this jump, up the hill and then back down into a left hander to this jump.

In 1997, we were in the middle of the track at the bottom of Henry Hill near the ponds. I remember think what just about everyone else was thinking. Oh no, not again.

This pic is the double that was after the right hander after the tabletop in the other two pics.

I was also there in 1998, when he made his triumphant return to Budd's Creek and went 2-1 on the day for the overall win. From what I can remember, the place was going crazy!

The track was run backwards this year compared to the other years. This is the same jump as the pic from 1995, just the opposite direction.

1/30/2015 12:22am
300 years from now. Henry will be told of as legend equivalent to the Greek gods.

I think his qualities would of made him famous at anything in his life path he chose to go down. Thank God the man was on a dirtbike.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
1/30/2015 5:43am
Steve125 wrote:
I was there.. My vantage point can be seen in the first pic. Henry hill in the background. I saw the whole thing. This pic is...

From CT, too. Doug was god to me as a teen in '92. He showed up at a local NESC Central Village race on his factory...
From CT, too. Doug was god to me as a teen in '92. He showed up at a local NESC Central Village race on his factory Honda. Basically like Micheal Jordan stopping by to play some rec league ball. He jumped the whole front section of the track, craziest shit I've ever seen to this day. Turned a single and a double into a triple that no one in their right mind would say "you know I could jump this whole thing."
I think I was at Central that day. In Spring of 93 I raced Southwick for my 3rd Expert race ever (I won the Amateur Championship the previous fall.). Doug parked across from me in the pits with his his practice CR in the back of a clapped out Pickup truck, and proceeded to destroy everyone on the track. I was in awe of his speed... every time he lapped me..lol... Great memories.. I'm a Life member at Central and rode with Doug there last year. Amazing guy.
P
1/30/2015 5:59am
Hi all, I'm looking to speak with fans who were at Budds Creek in June 1995, the day Doug Henry gave "Henry Hill" its namesake. I'm...
Hi all,

I'm looking to speak with fans who were at Budds Creek in June 1995, the day Doug Henry gave "Henry Hill" its namesake. I'm a writer working on a piece that will be released this spring and I'd like to interview some fans who witnessed it or the aftermath.

And if you were one of the half a dozen fans who actually leaped over the fence to come to Doug's aid while he slowly writhed on the ground then I really want to speak with you. I've been looking at the raw video of the incident, the stuff you can't find on YouTube, and saw that several spectators beat the EMTs to Doug's side.

And even if you know someone who was there, etc. etc. reach out to me at the e-mail or Instagram account below.

Thanks,

Brett Smith
bresmith@mac.com
Instagram: @wewentfast
I was there, but that was a long time ago. I believe that I was in the infield at the bottom of the hill where the announcing tower is. I remember looking up as he had come off the jump and thinking "oh shit, he's high". You knew it was something crazy because guys were breaking at the top of the jump so to see him that high was pretty shocking. I believe he was battling with MC so I was keeping tabs on them.

P
chuckie108
1/30/2015 6:57am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2015 6:58am
300 years from now. Henry will be told of as legend equivalent to the Greek gods. I think his qualities would of made him famous at...
300 years from now. Henry will be told of as legend equivalent to the Greek gods.

I think his qualities would of made him famous at anything in his life path he chose to go down. Thank God the man was on a dirtbike.
I agree with you! When ever the "Greatest of All Time" conversation comes up, DH. Gets over looked because the criteria usually considered is just sheer wins. But when you factor in determination, humble beginnings, guts, work ethic, attitude, over coming obstacles, into all out speed and wins, he rises much higher on the list. Maybe highest of them all. One of the baddest MoFo's ever!
hvaughn88
1/30/2015 7:16am
I think we've all had that nightmare of just dropping into oblivion off a jump and then waking up thankful we were just dreaming...Doug has actually lived it.
1/30/2015 7:23am
Buddcreek is my home track i have raced there practiced there and rode that track in a lot of different transformations it's been threw. I wasn't there when that happend but I can only imagine what was going threw his head ! That must have been one hell of a ride !
jasonv43
1/30/2015 7:58am
It's threads like these that make Vitalmx the coolest mx website.

And Doug Henry is a GOD!!! I don't know why but every time I watch this video or hear this song it just gets me every time.
https://youtu.be/35yeKGSNqMo
danzig138
Fantasy
4063rd
1/30/2015 9:58am
jasonv43 wrote:
It's threads like these that make Vitalmx the coolest mx website. And Doug Henry is a GOD!!! I don't know why but every time I watch...
It's threads like these that make Vitalmx the coolest mx website.

And Doug Henry is a GOD!!! I don't know why but every time I watch this video or hear this song it just gets me every time.
https://youtu.be/35yeKGSNqMo
yes

Post a reply to: Doug Henry at 1995 Budds Creek: Did you see the crash?

The Latest