Does look like dungey will retire

level
I had my doubts but he is certainly hinting at it and those are the rumors.
Serious question though. If he wasn't married or in a relationship do you think he would?
|
TMessi111
5/12/2017 5:11am
I really don't think it has that much to do with Lindsey. She doesn't come off as a controlling mega bitch or anything. I think Ryan knows he has had a hall of fame career and has nothing left to prove. Only thing he can do is move up on the title win list and the SX/MX race win list. That may mean something to a lot of racers but to him his work is done and I can't blame him one bit. Healthy and going out on top. Can't beat it.
agn5009
5/12/2017 5:14am
Probably not, but he is married and wants kids. So not sure why the question is even a little bit worthy of talking about.
Dtat720
5/12/2017 5:22am
Wife or no wife. Get out while you are healrhy and able to enjoy the rest of your life. Dungey is a smart smart man. Racing is a gamble, at some point you wont get the hand you want. So far, hes been mopping the table. That doesnt last forever. The injury hand can be dealt at any moment. Retire amd avoid it.
5/12/2017 5:25am
It's not about being married, but rather about being married to a decent girl. If he had a moto-groupie wife like many of them do, she would likely want him to continue racing as their whole relationship would be built on the celebrity status and such. I think she just wants to live a simple live with her hubby and a few kids now. JMHO.

The Shop

level
5/12/2017 5:25am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 5:26am
But if he wasn't married or in any relationship at all he probably would still race is what i am saying but I don't know that for sure. I guess it doesn't matter though because he is and thats his life so it will certainly be a factor and that's ok. I wish him the best it just sucks. Gonna miss him but this is a young sport and villopoto got out.
kburgie
5/12/2017 5:32am
level wrote:
But if he wasn't married or in any relationship at all he probably would still race is what i am saying but I don't know that...
But if he wasn't married or in any relationship at all he probably would still race is what i am saying but I don't know that for sure. I guess it doesn't matter though because he is and thats his life so it will certainly be a factor and that's ok. I wish him the best it just sucks. Gonna miss him but this is a young sport and villopoto got out.
I had no idea before seeing the stat on Racer X, that Dungey is the third oldest SX champion. McGrath was the oldest with just one more year under his belt.
5/12/2017 5:35am
I don't think he would retire, he would have a different mindset if he wasn't in a relationship. I mean of course if you have a family to the guy who doesn't have a family is way different. But he does have Lindsey so he's thinking of "their" future instead of "his"
jmx411
5/12/2017 5:37am
I wish he would at least go out on a retirement tour season like Carmichael did in 2007
ThatOneKid
5/12/2017 5:41am
He's got nothing else to prove. Say what you will about him being handed titles, but there is no arguing against him being one of the greats of this sport. He's put in his time and he's earned the right to go and live his life.
5/12/2017 5:42am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 5:43am
level wrote:
But if he wasn't married or in any relationship at all he probably would still race is what i am saying but I don't know that...
If he wasn't married or in a relationship at this point, at least we would have figured out who was "the gay suzuki rider." lol

But seriously, I think he would still be done with racing. He's very cerebral and calculated...he knows when he's done.
5/12/2017 5:42am
Dungey doesnt seem like the sort that would need a farewell tour. He is well aware that things can go south at any moment (e.g. Kenny). Had a very good career with I'd imagine a decent bank balance and very few injuries. I think he would be getting out married or not, but he has never made a secret of wanting a family life that doesn't revolve around MX like Reedy.
5/12/2017 5:57am
McGrath has said it many times; for most of these guys, you get a 10 year window where you're on the top of your game; training, riding, recovery. After that, at least one of those becomes harder to sustain, and from a mental standpoint, puts a lot more stress on the others. Dungey is at that 10 year window; first full season was 2007 in the 250/lites class.

The neck injury probably had more an impact on his health than we were lead on to believe, IMO. Regardless, he's going out on top, and of all the times to do it, might be the best time to exit stage right.
Camp332
5/12/2017 5:58am
Good luck to Dungey with whatever he chooses. Dude is fast, calculated and smooth on a dirtbike to me. I'm sure he is a lot more than that to his family, and that's the real stuff.
5/12/2017 6:06am
Camp332 wrote:
Good luck to Dungey with whatever he chooses. Dude is fast, calculated and smooth on a dirtbike to me. I'm sure he is a lot more...
Good luck to Dungey with whatever he chooses. Dude is fast, calculated and smooth on a dirtbike to me. I'm sure he is a lot more than that to his family, and that's the real stuff.
Bro! Plus he lifts and utilizes the tanning bed!
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
5/12/2017 6:24am
I know if I had enough money to retire I would do it today. Can't understand the thought process of people I work with that are in there 60's and still working. I get it if you didn't save and need to work, but if you have the money get out and enjoy it while you can. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed....
motomike137
5/12/2017 6:40am
I hoped that he would give the outdoors one more go but if his heart is no longer in it then it is time hand the baton over.
BobPA
5/12/2017 6:42am
TMessi111 wrote:
I really don't think it has that much to do with Lindsey. She doesn't come off as a controlling mega bitch or anything. I think Ryan...
I really don't think it has that much to do with Lindsey. She doesn't come off as a controlling mega bitch or anything. I think Ryan knows he has had a hall of fame career and has nothing left to prove. Only thing he can do is move up on the title win list and the SX/MX race win list. That may mean something to a lot of racers but to him his work is done and I can't blame him one bit. Healthy and going out on top. Can't beat it.
You know her personality from creeping on social media I presume?
Wandell
5/12/2017 6:51am
I'm a huge Dungey fan and I support whatever RD wants to do. People talk about him being a pro 10 years, which is a long career. But RD has been racing much, much longer than 10 years!
mx_563
5/12/2017 7:06am
It's not about being married, but rather about being married to a decent girl. If he had a moto-groupie wife like many of them do, she...
It's not about being married, but rather about being married to a decent girl. If he had a moto-groupie wife like many of them do, she would likely want him to continue racing as their whole relationship would be built on the celebrity status and such. I think she just wants to live a simple live with her hubby and a few kids now. JMHO.
Good thing Ryan found a "decent" girl. Not like those moto-groupies Jackie Short, Ellie Reed and Nicole Wey.

JSmith
5/12/2017 7:10am
yak651 wrote:
I know if I had enough money to retire I would do it today. Can't understand the thought process of people I work with that are...
I know if I had enough money to retire I would do it today. Can't understand the thought process of people I work with that are in there 60's and still working. I get it if you didn't save and need to work, but if you have the money get out and enjoy it while you can. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed....
This!
bbhMoto
5/12/2017 7:10am
jmx411 wrote:
I wish he would at least go out on a retirement tour season like Carmichael did in 2007
Pretty sure RC just did it to hit 150 total wins. Not sure what RD's motivation would be...
bbhMoto
5/12/2017 7:13am
Dtat720 wrote:
Wife or no wife. Get out while you are healrhy and able to enjoy the rest of your life. Dungey is a smart smart man. Racing...
Wife or no wife. Get out while you are healrhy and able to enjoy the rest of your life. Dungey is a smart smart man. Racing is a gamble, at some point you wont get the hand you want. So far, hes been mopping the table. That doesnt last forever. The injury hand can be dealt at any moment. Retire amd avoid it.
Speaking of injuries, aside from last year's neck incident, has RD had any serious injuries, broken bones, etc? Seems like he hasn't had many compared to a lot of other riders.
machine
5/12/2017 7:21am
yak651 wrote:
I know if I had enough money to retire I would do it today. Can't understand the thought process of people I work with that are...
JSmith wrote:
This!
Yep, I can find stuff to do, screw work!
Brett Smith
Fantasy
4032nd
5/12/2017 9:13am
Dtat720 wrote:
Wife or no wife. Get out while you are healrhy and able to enjoy the rest of your life. Dungey is a smart smart man. Racing...
bbhMoto wrote:
Speaking of injuries, aside from last year's neck incident, has RD had any serious injuries, broken bones, etc? Seems like he hasn't had many compared to...
Speaking of injuries, aside from last year's neck incident, has RD had any serious injuries, broken bones, etc? Seems like he hasn't had many compared to a lot of other riders.
He missed five rounds of SX way back in 2012 (collarbone, I believe). Before that you have to go all the way back to 2007 MX on the 250 where he missed a few rounds. He missed very few races.
TMessi111
5/12/2017 9:25am
TMessi111 wrote:
I really don't think it has that much to do with Lindsey. She doesn't come off as a controlling mega bitch or anything. I think Ryan...
BobPA wrote:
You know her personality from creeping on social media I presume?
No I actually sat 2 rows behind her at STL. She was nice to everyone around her and sat amongst regular Joe's. Most uptight women who think they are better than everyone else would be in a luxury box, in the RV or not even at the races. She obviously supports Ryan. Just an assumption.
5/12/2017 9:28am
yak651 wrote:
JSmith wrote:
This!
Me too. But some people actually enjoy their work, and some just don't know anything else.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/12/2017 9:28am
Ryan is the kind of driven champion that competes on his terms. He would not be retiring because of the influence of ANY woman, good or bad.
It's a bonus for him that his wife seems to be a quality individual.
machine
5/12/2017 10:20am
I can see him disappearing from the industry like Larry Ward did...at least for a while.
Brent
5/12/2017 10:33am
...the regulars at the Bushfire grill say he is done with racing, and those guys should know...

Post a reply to: Does look like dungey will retire

The Latest