Doctors say late BMX legend Dave Mirra had CTE

TXDirt
10/19/2016 5:59am
Doctors say late BMX legend Dave Mirra had CTE

BMX icon Dave Mirra, who died in February, suffered from the type of chronic brain damage that has shown up in the brains of dozens of football players, a University of Toronto neuropathologist has concluded. Multiple neuropathologists confirmed the diagnosis.

Mirra is the first action sports athlete to be diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease that can lead to dementia, memory loss and depression. He died on Feb. 4 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The tau protein deposits found in Mirra's brain were indistinguishable from the kind that have been found in the brains of former football and hockey players with CTE, Dr. Lili-Naz Hazrati, the Toronto neuropathologist, told ESPN The Magazine.
|
TXDirt
10/19/2016 6:06am
I thought this was new news as it showed up in my facebook feed last night for the first time randomly. I should have looked at the date of he article. Admins please delete.

Thanks.
MXMattii
10/19/2016 8:55am
I saw the movie 'Concussion' and thought imideatly about motocross. What about James Stewart, Travis Pastrana, Ricky Carmichael, Seb Tortelli, Robbie Reynard in this and 10 to 15 years? One big crash is enough to release those toxic proteins.

The Shop

OldYZRider1
10/19/2016 3:55pm
MXMattii wrote:
I saw the movie 'Concussion' and thought imideatly about motocross. What about James Stewart, Travis Pastrana, Ricky Carmichael, Seb Tortelli, Robbie Reynard in this and 10...
I saw the movie 'Concussion' and thought imideatly about motocross. What about James Stewart, Travis Pastrana, Ricky Carmichael, Seb Tortelli, Robbie Reynard in this and 10 to 15 years? One big crash is enough to release those toxic proteins.
The current experts in the field say that the accumulation of a lot of small "subconcussive" hits add up too; you don't have to had a full concusion event to start the degenerative process. That's troubling for many sports
especially for kids. While advances in helmet design can reduce the severity of major hits, your brains still getting jostled inside your skull and that in itself may be result in the condition developing. I think this is why they're starting to restrict head hits in soccer and similar situations in the youth sports.

Post a reply to: Doctors say late BMX legend Dave Mirra had CTE

The Latest