Do you get days when you've had enough of riding?

5/31/2017 9:28am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 6:22pm
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it when I do.

It basically started when my 125 threw a rod & smashed everything, cases, crank (obviously), cylinder, piston, reed block, clutch basket & the gear that Yamaha don't sell separately. It was totally screwed. It was a total nightmare getting the parts (too long a story to write it all down here). Anyway the bike takes 5 1/2 weeks from going bang to running again. Cost approximately £1400 to fix. Now it's up & running, I'm like I can't be bothered with this. I go riding & I'm finding it boring. I think it doesn't help that there are no decent tracks where I live.

As anyone else felt like this when their bike has shat itself??
|
cameron96
5/31/2017 9:34am
The water pump just failed on my 350 this past weekend... right after spending 900$ on racetech suspension..

Motor was badly overheated and runs now but doesn't sound right.

I think I'm just gonna park it till fall and go surfing
5/31/2017 9:35am
Haven't found this to be the case caused by a mechanical, but have certainly experienced "burn out" before.

Take a month or so off. Maybe pick up a new/cheaper hobby like yoga for a while.

Come back when you miss it. If you don't feel like riding, don't ride. This sport is far too dangerous to be putting your body in jeopardy if you're not loving what you're doing.
5/31/2017 9:39am
cameron96 wrote:
The water pump just failed on my 350 this past weekend... right after spending 900$ on racetech suspension.. Motor was badly overheated and runs now but...
The water pump just failed on my 350 this past weekend... right after spending 900$ on racetech suspension..

Motor was badly overheated and runs now but doesn't sound right.

I think I'm just gonna park it till fall and go surfing
Always the way, you spend out on something you want then that happens. I feel your pain.
5/31/2017 9:41am
I lost interest after always getting bad starts and dumb shit in races and not getting the results I wanted. Now I just ride for fun only on tracks I really like and it brought me a whole new perspective of motocross.

I'd say go to tracks you really enjoy, like a track that has sick corners or jumps that puts a smile on your face. Meet up with someone or a group who are about your speed and go chase each other, that really brings the fun and joy back into riding imo.

The Shop

5/31/2017 9:47am
EnvyMedia wrote:
I lost interest after always getting bad starts and dumb shit in races and not getting the results I wanted. Now I just ride for fun...
I lost interest after always getting bad starts and dumb shit in races and not getting the results I wanted. Now I just ride for fun only on tracks I really like and it brought me a whole new perspective of motocross.

I'd say go to tracks you really enjoy, like a track that has sick corners or jumps that puts a smile on your face. Meet up with someone or a group who are about your speed and go chase each other, that really brings the fun and joy back into riding imo.
Riding with folks your speed is a big part of keeping it interesting and fun for me.
We exclusively ride in the woods and love it. I wasn't raised riding MX, so at 50 years old, I'm not learning to jump anything but logs and roots.
Just completed the 24 hour Enduro in Maplesville AL this past weekend with 5 of my riding buddies.
I've had enough riding for at least the next 10 days Smile

I hope your passion and enjoyment for the sport returns soon !
jeffro503
5/31/2017 9:48am
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it...
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it when I do.

It basically started when my 125 threw a rod & smashed everything, cases, crank (obviously), cylinder, piston, reed block, clutch basket & the gear that Yamaha don't sell separately. It was totally screwed. It was a total nightmare getting the parts (too long a story to write it all down here). Anyway the bike takes 5 1/2 weeks from going bang to running again. Cost approximately £1400 to fix. Now it's up & running, I'm like I can't be bothered with this. I go riding & I'm finding it boring. I think it doesn't help that there are no decent tracks where I live.

I know exactly how you feel man. I'm up and down on the sport ( right now I'm on a high and wish I could ride 3 times a week ) , but I have times where I need to just park the bikes and do something else. Sometimes for a couple weeks , and some times for a couple months.The winter for me is when the bikes collect dust , as I'm just not into washing 40lbs of mud of my bikes , along with toasting every single bearing.

If you're not feeling it , and it gets to the point where you're just not interested , don't force yourself to go. Go have fun doing something else for a while. Those little breaks have always helped me , as I feel a lot more motivated after taking a little time off.

Most all of us are in it for the fun brother....and at a time when you're not having , take a break. You'll come back hungry.
BobPA
5/31/2017 9:54am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 9:54am
Has never happened to me. You guys must have some serious issues Whistling

I do get frustrated from time to time. Sent my 125 engine out this year in December for porting and a big bore. Got it back and the cylinder looked terrible. Sent it back for a redo and it was slightly better. Broke it in for an hour and it seized. Cylinder was set up too tight, so out it goes goes again for warranty. So now i am sitting here $800 in the hole and have yet to even ride my bike. Andddddd the VPU4.4 I bought for $17/gallon will be spoiled by the time I get the engine back......
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
5/31/2017 10:15am
I get that way all the time. Haven't ridden in 4 months. Just push the bike to the side and when your ready to go ride again it'll be there. Don't make the mistake I. Selling everything off.
zookie
5/31/2017 10:19am
After a year of injuries and surgeries, I realized that life was pretty grand without moto and that was that. End of my riding days. I totally understand Dungey's position. He saw what life was like without moto, and he likes it.
Robgvx
5/31/2017 10:26am
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it...

Where in the UK are you?
r.sal923
5/31/2017 10:26am
I found that when I was riding 3-4 days a week and racing on weekends, I did not even want to look at a dirt bike after the last race in the fall. Fast forward 10 years, kids and life are taking over. I get 1 day a week maybe 2. I look forward to Thursday nights a lot more now than I did when I was racing
5/31/2017 10:28am

Robgvx wrote:
Where in the UK are you?
South East, Kent
philG
5/31/2017 10:30am
Are you riding , or racing?
Robgvx
5/31/2017 10:30am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 10:31am
South East, Kent
There's your problem. It's all stoney down there!

Smile . Smile . Smile
IWreckALot
5/31/2017 10:31am
My sarcastic remarks?

WTF is a £?

And I didn't know they had surfing in Canada.

Seriously though.

Racing cross country has gotten me out of the MX track draw. There aren't any directional marked trails near me that I'm aware of except maybe at Village but even that's sketchy at times. The only time I get to "ride" is when I "race". So I either have to go out and want to race, or no riding. I've grown to like racing, but it voids the benefits of getting practice time. I've considered dropping the sport at times but the two months I was in between bikes left me feeling a bit empty.
5/31/2017 10:32am
philG wrote:
Are you riding , or racing?
Mainly just riding these days, only do a handful of meetings at Canada Heights.
philG
5/31/2017 10:43am
Mainly just riding these days, only do a handful of meetings at Canada Heights.
So there is your problem, riding is just wearing your bike out and wasting petrol.

No sense of competition , if you are just putting laps in till its time to go home, no wonder you are bored.

I would rather stay home, than go out and ride, but i will race every chance i get.

kkawboy14
5/31/2017 10:49am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 10:50am
There's only been 1 time where I never wanted to see my bike again, you coulda pushed it off a cliff. After a 250b FTR Florida Trail Riders race in the rain in north Florida. I was beat!
JW381
5/31/2017 10:51am
We all get burnt out. Take a break and go do something else. For me? I golf. Most of the time I do both, but sometimes I focus heavily on one over the other.
cameron96
5/31/2017 10:58am
IWreckALot wrote:
My sarcastic remarks? WTF is a £? And I didn't know they had surfing in Canada. Seriously though. Racing cross country has gotten me out of...
My sarcastic remarks?

WTF is a £?

Seriously though.

Racing cross country has gotten me out of the MX track draw. There aren't any directional marked trails near me that I'm aware of except maybe at Village but even that's sketchy at times. The only time I get to "ride" is when I "race". So I either have to go out and want to race, or no riding. I've grown to like racing, but it voids the benefits of getting practice time. I've considered dropping the sport at times but the two months I was in between bikes left me feeling a bit empty.
Wake Surfing! Hahah

Kenny and deano are into it. Lots of fun with friends and no chance of injury

IWreckALot
5/31/2017 11:03am
IWreckALot wrote:
My sarcastic remarks? WTF is a £? And I didn't know they had surfing in Canada. Seriously though. Racing cross country has gotten me out of...
My sarcastic remarks?

WTF is a £?

Seriously though.

cameron96 wrote:
Wake Surfing! Hahah

Kenny and deano are into it. Lots of fun with friends and no chance of injury

Ahh. Wake surfing. I am familiar with that.
ehr400
5/31/2017 11:04am
EnvyMedia wrote:
I lost interest after always getting bad starts and dumb shit in races and not getting the results I wanted. Now I just ride for fun...

Riding with folks your speed is a big part of keeping it interesting and fun for me. We exclusively ride in the woods and love it...
Riding with folks your speed is a big part of keeping it interesting and fun for me.
We exclusively ride in the woods and love it. I wasn't raised riding MX, so at 50 years old, I'm not learning to jump anything but logs and roots.
Just completed the 24 hour Enduro in Maplesville AL this past weekend with 5 of my riding buddies.
I've had enough riding for at least the next 10 days Smile

I hope your passion and enjoyment for the sport returns soon !
Did the 24 hour at Perry mountain eh? We did that a few years ago, good times.
Acidreamer
5/31/2017 11:22am
Since i only buy used bikes, im actually pretty happy about any excuse i get to rebuild the motor and choose every part and do it exactly right. Ive only had a bike blow up on me once, and it was depressing because the ride day was over. Ive never had any kind of burn out. I ride to work almost everyday and ride at the track on weekends. Theres always a way to push yourself further.
5/31/2017 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 12:03pm

Funny u should bring this up... I am in uk also.. Just outside Glasgow. .. Tracks up here are getting worse and worse, if not closing down. This time last year I broke my ribs then about 3 weeks ago had another off and broke the exact same ribs again, smashed my hip and my shoulder..now I find myself thinking about selling my bike.. ( 16 350 20 odd hours) .. Only thing stopping me is for the last 15 years all I have done is Mx.. This is where I have alk my friends now, barely see the ones I grew up with so if I do give up I feel like I will be lost..having kids kinda makes it harder to get back out too.. My wee boy was crying in the hospital caus i was sick with the morphine etc.. It's like it's all signs to give up .. Anyway, sorry for the long post.. Ps I thought 2 strokes were supposed to be cheap to fix lol
SwingHard
5/31/2017 12:25pm
After a big get-off at Mammoth last June,I was DONE! AT 50 plus I was over hittin the ground! Had to heal up all summer,chose to sit out the winter. Sold the 450,bought a 350 end of March,enthusiasm is back!
mark_swart
5/31/2017 12:31pm
I've found that I hit a little slump in early summer if I live somewhere where I race during the winter. I'm feeling it a little now and will probably take most of June off.
Don't sell your bike, just park it for a few weeks and don't do anything. I'm guessing in a month or two you'll have the itch again. The moto will still be there, just remember that it's just for fun, it's not an obligation!
When I hit the slump it definitely gives me an appreciation for the pros that stay out there for long careers, and also helps me understand why guys like RV and Dungey can let it go when they are at their peaks.
5/31/2017 12:32pm
You need to get up near me in Yorkshire. Loads of quality tracks within 1 to 1.5 hours away. Like others have said just ride every now and again. The bike will always be there whenever you need it
5/31/2017 12:40pm
Suzuki 627 wrote:
You need to get up near me in Yorkshire. Loads of quality tracks within 1 to 1.5 hours away. Like others have said just ride every...
You need to get up near me in Yorkshire. Loads of quality tracks within 1 to 1.5 hours away. Like others have said just ride every now and again. The bike will always be there whenever you need it
I would love to, bloody long way for a day trip. I wanna go to Fat Cats at some point.
Lastander
5/31/2017 1:15pm
I quit racing in 2012 and just rode a couple of times during that year, and i spent all summer just playing golf.
Best decision i have ever done, i got a girlfriend and actually spent time with non-moto friends, then in 2013 i eased back into it and now i race the swedishchampionship and have a blast while doing it, even though im writing this with a broken wrist that has put me on the sidelines for 2 months....
Oh and also, unfortunately not valid for you, but i bought a cr250 when my sxf450 broke down for the 40th time, fuuuuuck me that bike is so fun to ride.
mmain62
5/31/2017 1:33pm
I quit racing full time in 2008 in pretty much my prime so I could be stupid and ride sport bikes only racing random mx races then quit racing all together in 2013 and just rode my own private track then got burnt out and quit completely for last year after buying suspension. The bike was dialed and felt amazing but I had no one to ride with. All of my buddies were always to busy. I sold my bike and not 2 weeks later everybody in town was calling me asking to ride my track. and my buddies that were to busy started riding at least once a week during the week together. So late winter early spring this year I bought another bike and went back to a 4 stroke. I'll die for saying this but my 350SXF is one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden.

Post a reply to: Do you get days when you've had enough of riding?

The Latest