Do technological advancements make for better racing???

jmar
1/21/2011 6:07am
jmar wrote:
Some of the best races that I have ever seen was at the "Race of Champions" at the World Mini in Vegas. All of the top...
Some of the best races that I have ever seen was at the "Race of Champions" at the World Mini in Vegas. All of the top mini riders identical stock KX minis.

Think how cool it would be to do something similar in at the pro level class.

Blake wrote:
Didnt know they still do that. Thats awesome.
They haven't had the race of Champions for years. It was really good racing though.
jmar
1/21/2011 6:09am
Do technological improvements make for more exciting racing in supercross/motocross, or do they diminish it? For example: as more technological advancements are made in the sport...

Do technological improvements make for more exciting racing in supercross/motocross, or do they diminish it? For example: as more technological advancements are made in the sport, will closer racing, more battles, be a result? What are your thoughts and comments?

I'm just curious... and figured it would be a healthy discussion. All I know is that for any sport to thrive, it must be exciting to it's audience. This even includes those who have never participated in said sport.

This is not limited (or intended) to the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate, but directed more towards EFI, traction control, holeshot devices, GPS type data systems, and all the future technological advancements that are soon to come (like, possibly laser sensor suspension that are popping up on cars).

This is not limited (or intended) to the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate,

Just can't help yourself, can you?
rocrac
1/21/2011 6:11am
Do technological improvements make for more exciting racing in supercross/motocross, or do they diminish it? For example: as more technological advancements are made in the sport...

Do technological improvements make for more exciting racing in supercross/motocross, or do they diminish it? For example: as more technological advancements are made in the sport, will closer racing, more battles, be a result? What are your thoughts and comments?

I'm just curious... and figured it would be a healthy discussion. All I know is that for any sport to thrive, it must be exciting to it's audience. This even includes those who have never participated in said sport.

This is not limited (or intended) to the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate, but directed more towards EFI, traction control, holeshot devices, GPS type data systems, and all the future technological advancements that are soon to come (like, possibly laser sensor suspension that are popping up on cars).
jmar wrote:

This is not limited (or intended) to the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate,

Just can't help yourself, can you?
Not all all 250f s would be just fine. Although.......never mind Tongue
-eagle-
1/21/2011 8:28am
Do technological advancements make for better racing???
No; but it makes for higher price tags on the showroom.

I'm more concerned with how it affects my riding/budget than the 15 minute SHOW on Saturday night. Its a Fine line for sure. OEM's have to progress but it comes at a price.
Everybody wants all the latest greatest gizmo's on thier bikes then bitch when the msrp is out of their budgets.

There is a market for nuts and bolts bike @5k. I don't go $2500 faster with a set of valves, coated forks and a fuel pump. I doubt the masses do either. That $ would get me more gate drops and parts.

Some of best "motorized racing" i've ever seen: Stock 50's with bar kits in a field.

The Shop

JackLHyde
1/21/2011 9:11am
I've been into pitbike racing since 2009. Lots of fun, but the mods some do are throwing the fun out of the window. The more stock the bikes are, the better the racing.

Some of you mentioned F1. I worked at the biggest "non-factory" german motorsport team until midweek. I took a Formula 3 car apart. The data acquisition stuff is insane, as are the price tags of the individual parts. The "sport" is sick anyway, as the guy who brings the most money with him gets the spot in the car. Heck there's an international race series with at the moment 10 (!!!) drivers!

I think good racing is bringing as much racers on an equal level as possible. It's not just the technology, but also the track, the riders ability, ...
mtnr
1/21/2011 9:21am
txmxer wrote:
When riders can outperform the machinery you get better racing.
Well said.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
10/28/2018 2:05pm
rocrac wrote:
Would anyone besides me like to see the current crop of 450 riders dicing it out on 250 s? I would bet the racing would be...
Would anyone besides me like to see the current crop of 450 riders dicing it out on 250 s?

I would bet the racing would be twice is good watching those guys ringing the crap out of them. The 450's should be left to fat lazy old guys (myself Included)
I would love to see this, the 125 class at the nationals was a little like this , watching RV and will Hahn.
I would Also like to see a stock 450 race.

And before you say it yes I revived 7 year old thread
It has a lot of interesting things in it
And I Noticed that I dont see any of the guys commenting
In this thread posting anymore, I wonder why ?
10/28/2018 8:55pm
What's widely accepted as the greatest SX race of all time?
Most will answer the 1987 Anaheim SX.

Factory riders bitch about tracks that are too easy and don't give them the chance to use their superior talent and equipment to gap the pack but if either Bailey or Johnson had been able to something on the track the other couldn't due to equipment, for example, the best SX race in history would have just been another run away.

I don't know if advancing tech helps even the field or spread it out... but my vote would be for anything and everything that tightens the pack up.
BikeGuy321
10/29/2018 8:06am
...Only if every team spends the same amount of money. How fast do you wanna spend?
Silliker269
10/29/2018 8:31am
The bikes are too fast for indoor racing, 250 2 strokes would be perfect.
Even the "lites" class has better racing the the Premier's
Johnny Depp
10/29/2018 10:27am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 10:28am
By themselves no.

Better racing we can assume is defined as close racing.

If limiting tech to achieve close racing was the premise, you could certainly put everyone on matching bikes and a non technical track and you will still have dominant riders.

I'm all for local races being qualified or grouped by times for better racing and less classes.

When it comes to Pro's, I want to see the best riders, on the best bikes race on the best tracks, even if it means that sometimes it is a runaway.
Bry145
10/29/2018 10:36am
People will still go to Supercross races and the nationals (and watch on TV), even if the racing isn't close.

What is potentially hurting the sport is the increased cost of amateur competition as technology improves. We can't price median earners and below out of the sport and expect business to carry on as usual. Younger people as a whole are not doing as well financially as the Boomers and Gen. X. This won't change in the near future.

This isn't entirely the sport's fault. There are macroeconomic and demographic forces at play that are one-two punches. Further raising the price of machinery will result in a one-two-three punch. Then the only place you will see a dirt bike is in Angel Stadium.

10/29/2018 10:54am
Better for the haves, worse for the have-nots. Best way to enjoy racing more (yours or otherwise) is to be a have. There will be no return to simplicity in professional competition because racers generally aren't the type to let off. My edge is worth more than your survival, so to speak.
10/29/2018 11:07am
Anyone watch F1 yesterday? All race long the top guys just managed their tire wear. Just drove around trying to save tires and make it to the end of the race. In my opinion that’s not racing. That’s just boring. I was very close to falling asleep during that race yesterday.

And to add, the 3 teams in f1 are MILES ahead literally and figuratively. It’s almost like having two different categories of cars on the track at the same time. It’s crazy.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/29/2018 11:41am
By themselves no. Better racing we can assume is defined as [b]close racing[/b]. If limiting tech to achieve close racing was the premise, you could certainly...
By themselves no.

Better racing we can assume is defined as close racing.

If limiting tech to achieve close racing was the premise, you could certainly put everyone on matching bikes and a non technical track and you will still have dominant riders.

I'm all for local races being qualified or grouped by times for better racing and less classes.

When it comes to Pro's, I want to see the best riders, on the best bikes race on the best tracks, even if it means that sometimes it is a runaway.
Prime example- Watcht the Moto3 race from this last weekend. I watched them start the final lap with a group of 10-20 riders still grouped together. I watched the leader drop to 5th or 6th and a dude came from like 7th or 8th to the lead. It was unreal! Granted, tracks with jumps and stuff will spread things out a bit more than a MotoGP course, but spec racing is pretty damn good usually. Everyone on a level playing field.

The groups by times would be cool if everyone went out and rode like they normally would, but guys would sand bag so bad to stay in a lower class!
mark_swart
10/29/2018 12:34pm
I believe the advancements did up to a point- things like USD cartridge forks, disc brakes, lowboy layout/ ergonomics and a foot of suspension travel. That allowed riders to do things they couldn't have done on short travel bikes. And I think many people agree that the 1990 Atlanta SX was the best SX race ever. Part of what made that race exciting were the mistakes. The bikes weren't as forgiving and the riders not as polished.

Any technology that just adds cost but is available to anyone is unnecessary. Holeshot devices are a perfect example. If everybody can have the edge, then why have it? It's just extra cost.

I could argue the importance of EFI in terms of predictability and safety. Every time I ride one of my older bikes I seem to get reminded of bogging at bad times.
10/29/2018 2:31pm
The margin of technical advancements from factory to privateer is very low compared to other motor sports.

Rider wins at the end of the day.

In F1 that's a different story.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
10/29/2018 4:58pm
mark_swart wrote:
I believe the advancements did up to a point- things like USD cartridge forks, disc brakes, lowboy layout/ ergonomics and a foot of suspension travel. That...
I believe the advancements did up to a point- things like USD cartridge forks, disc brakes, lowboy layout/ ergonomics and a foot of suspension travel. That allowed riders to do things they couldn't have done on short travel bikes. And I think many people agree that the 1990 Atlanta SX was the best SX race ever. Part of what made that race exciting were the mistakes. The bikes weren't as forgiving and the riders not as polished.

Any technology that just adds cost but is available to anyone is unnecessary. Holeshot devices are a perfect example. If everybody can have the edge, then why have it? It's just extra cost.

I could argue the importance of EFI in terms of predictability and safety. Every time I ride one of my older bikes I seem to get reminded of bogging at bad times.
I've personally Though about the Starting device thing for a long time And I see No point at all , at 1st it was just to give some an advantage, than everyone had to have 1 and like you say no point, but not only that , it's also bad because it makes everyone Go faster into 1st corner so its actually less safe imo because anytime you add more speed to a crash the chances of injury goes up.
Springcreek
10/30/2018 1:45pm
The faster you go, the narrower the track gets, the harder it gets to pass.

TSCHAM101
10/30/2018 2:25pm
i dont think the tech makes the difference in racing...

I think the true seperator is $$$.. The top guys train/ride to beat everyone else. The privateers who cant afford to train with good trainers or who have to pay for all their parts on their bikes just simply cannot practice and train as much as those who are on factory teams. The gap will only get larger and larger, unless privateers start getting paid more to race..

Simply put, Privateers do not have the same luxury as the factory guys... Every other sport, if you are professional, that is your full time gig and you are expected to perform. In Mx, we have professionals making the night show on stock bikes, that ride maybe once a week because they have to drive their bike and tools to every track, let alone keeping up on the maintenance...

Every Athlete on a professional sports team has everything provided to them, facility's, trainers, diets etc. Privateers are provided a spot to pit with their entry and thats it... The gap will always be large..

Just my .02
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
10/30/2018 3:00pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i dont think the tech makes the difference in racing... I think the true seperator is $$$.. The top guys train/ride to beat everyone else. The...

I think the true seperator is $$$.. The top guys train/ride to beat everyone else. The privateers who cant afford to train with good trainers or who have to pay for all their parts on their bikes just simply cannot practice and train as much as those who are on factory teams. The gap will only get larger and larger, unless privateers start getting paid more to race..

Simply put, Privateers do not have the same luxury as the factory guys... Every other sport, if you are professional, that is your full time gig and you are expected to perform. In Mx, we have professionals making the night show on stock bikes, that ride maybe once a week because they have to drive their bike and tools to every track, let alone keeping up on the maintenance...

Every Athlete on a professional sports team has everything provided to them, facility's, trainers, diets etc. Privateers are provided a spot to pit with their entry and thats it... The gap will always be large..

Just my .02
Well put , and I Agree
Any solutions?
Mine is Horsepower cap ,
Or maybe only a certain amount of cash can be spent on bike , or Totally stock motor with suspension done ?
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
10/30/2018 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 3:03pm
That doesn't address training and practicing full time vs working on your own bikes and driving yourself, but it would be nice if the all guys in the same race , had the same amount of power
And at least close the gap somewhat
NorCal 50+
10/30/2018 4:44pm
What's widely accepted as the greatest SX race of all time? Most will answer the 1987 Anaheim SX. Factory riders bitch about tracks that are too...
What's widely accepted as the greatest SX race of all time?
Most will answer the 1987 Anaheim SX.

Factory riders bitch about tracks that are too easy and don't give them the chance to use their superior talent and equipment to gap the pack but if either Bailey or Johnson had been able to something on the track the other couldn't due to equipment, for example, the best SX race in history would have just been another run away.

I don't know if advancing tech helps even the field or spread it out... but my vote would be for anything and everything that tightens the pack up.
I think you mean the '86 Anaheim Supercross. In '87 RJ got knocked cold and Bailey wasn't there (why do I know these things?). I do see your point- that track looked downright annoying to ride on. But what's annoying for riders can be good for fans.
450s are faster, but much less entertaining to watch because watching a guy torque it around a corner at 3k RPM or burp his bike over a big double is not as exciting, compared to shrieking two-strokes.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/30/2018 5:47pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i dont think the tech makes the difference in racing... I think the true seperator is $$$.. The top guys train/ride to beat everyone else. The...

Just my .02
The guys with the factory rides all came from the same place as the non factory riders and privateers did ,they were just better to begin with and earned the factory money and better equipment but now they are expected to win.
delonick347
10/30/2018 6:55pm
“Better racing” is subjective. Good racing surely involves multiple rider battles, swapping positions back and forth (example: the epic JLaw, Dungey, Grant Budds Creek moto) but also can be defined by a rider coming through through the pack and seeing how far he can go before time is up (example: Stew on the 125 where he went last to first (Unadilla(?), as well as Toronto SX).
BikeGuy321
10/30/2018 7:05pm
I feel like the 'easy' and fast SX tracks always have the best racing. Phoenix and Daytona, IMO usually have pretty good racing. Foxboro was good last year too with all those sand secions they added.

Post a reply to: Do technological advancements make for better racing???

The Latest