Do pro riders have radios in their helmet?

thormx11
Edited Date/Time 4/5/2014 3:55pm
I've always wondered, but figured they didn't because of the noise, and talking while racing could distract you or tire you faster.

But I was listening to the "RV vs JS" on the homepage and towards the end stewart said his dad told him "maybe you should pass him" and he told his dad "nah, I have a plan"

It doesn't really sound like a conversation they would have before the race, because they would have no idea where they would be at on the track once the gate dropped, almost sounds like it had to be a conversation while he was riding
|
40Plus_922mx
4/3/2014 3:09pm
No, then yes, then no again in AMA events. . They have tried it a few times. And still toy with it at non-AMA sanctioned events.
Josh422
4/3/2014 3:32pm
Some guys listen to music. Radio communication is not allowed.
4/3/2014 3:45pm
Josh422 wrote:
What ? Music ? Really ? Honestly I am shocked.

Radio may be cool, but would make a bigger gap between factory vs. privateers.

The Shop

35smom
4/3/2014 4:14pm
Josh422 wrote:
I have never seen a pro rider listening to music at a National in a race. It would be forbidden as there could always be a chance it was used for something else.
dennisjonon
4/3/2014 4:17pm
I've seen people listen to music while they practice but definitely not at a pro national. that would get yanked in a heart beat.

i know people have talked about communication in the helmets in the past but haven't seen much come about since then. GuyB?

Its something they could definitely look into but at the same time I've always wondering can you hear your RPMs when your riding?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/3/2014 4:23pm
Josh422 wrote:
What ? Music ? Really ? Honestly I am shocked.

Radio may be cool, but would make a bigger gap between factory vs. privateers.
Have you seen most privateer setups ? Not exactly poverty in the MX world. If it was legal they would have the 2 way radios just like the factory riders.
SEE ARE125
4/3/2014 4:30pm
Thinking Alessi tried it once at the MEC. Could be wrong though. Not sure how it worked out. Anyway, radio communication isn't allowed at AMA events per the rulebook.
DownSouth
4/3/2014 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2014 4:54pm
Josh422 wrote:
35smom wrote:
I have never seen a pro rider listening to music at a National in a race. It would be forbidden as there could always be a...
I have never seen a pro rider listening to music at a National in a race. It would be forbidden as there could always be a chance it was used for something else.
Nick Schmidt was being interviewed by Jenny Taft at St Louis and had ear bud headphones on, as the camera panned away he was putting his helmet on over them.
Big Lenny
4/3/2014 4:55pm
DownSouth wrote:
Nick Schmidt was being interviewed by Jenny Taft at St Louis and had ear bud headphones on, as the camera panned away he was putting his...
Nick Schmidt was being interviewed by Jenny Taft at St Louis and had ear bud headphones on, as the camera panned away he was putting his helmet on over them.
I saw that too...
Mickolobe7
4/3/2014 5:01pm
DownSouth wrote:
Nick Schmidt was being interviewed by Jenny Taft at St Louis and had ear bud headphones on, as the camera panned away he was putting his...
Big Lenny wrote:
I saw that too...
Saw that too.
Josh422
4/3/2014 5:05pm
Josh422 wrote:
35smom wrote:
I have never seen a pro rider listening to music at a National in a race. It would be forbidden as there could always be a...
Bet you there is more than you'd think in sx/mx doing it.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
4/3/2014 5:24pm
Serious question......

Do ya really think you could hear the music over the engine revving......not only yours but others?

I don't think so.

I used to try to listen to music in my helmet on my stock CBR 900......(I'm old now) :-)

Actually took the time to implant the speakers into the ear cushion pieces.....worked great....

at low speeds and stoplights.......at freeway speeds and higher (gasp)....not so good.

In fact, useless.

IMO
PS
Grizz
4/3/2014 5:27pm
Josh422 wrote:
35smom wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
Came here to say that,
Josh422
4/3/2014 5:30pm
Serious question...... Do ya really think you could hear the music over the engine revving......not only yours but others? I don't think so. I used to...
Serious question......

Do ya really think you could hear the music over the engine revving......not only yours but others?

I don't think so.

I used to try to listen to music in my helmet on my stock CBR 900......(I'm old now) :-)

Actually took the time to implant the speakers into the ear cushion pieces.....worked great....

at low speeds and stoplights.......at freeway speeds and higher (gasp)....not so good.

In fact, useless.

IMO
PS
Have you tried ear buds? I can guarantee the proper setup would cancel out bike noise if wanted. "implanting" the speakers into your cheekpads doesn't sound very successful.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
4/3/2014 5:32pm
Serious question...... Do ya really think you could hear the music over the engine revving......not only yours but others? I don't think so. I used to...
Serious question......

I don't think so.

In fact, useless.

IMO
PS
Yes, I think you could. I used to crew on UH-60 helicopters that are really loud, but we used ear buds that connected into the radio system and you could hear just fine.

I saw the Nick Schmidt thing too and thought he might get in trouble for that one. I always thought it was against the rules.
mx295
4/3/2014 5:34pm
DownSouth wrote:
They were ear plugs.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
4/3/2014 5:35pm
DownSouth wrote:
mx295 wrote:
They were ear plugs.
I thought that might be the case, the cord just looked more like headphones from what I remember.
MX690
4/3/2014 5:48pm
Serious question......

I don't think so.

In fact, useless.

IMO
PS
I listen to the radio at work using ear buds under my ear muffs and our air grinders have been measured at 130db, with ear buds you can still hear the radio fine although you do have it turned up a little louder than usual. I don't think they would have any trouble listening to music under their helmets with ear buds.
mx295
4/3/2014 5:51pm
Electro21 wrote:
I thought that might be the case, the cord just looked more like headphones from what I remember.
I just watched it again.. They where ear buds he probably just left the ipod with someone in the tunnel and used them as ear plugs.
Spagina767
4/3/2014 5:55pm
Serious question......

I don't think so.

In fact, useless.

IMO
PS
Yep I have practiced with ear buds (never raced), and also rode my r6 plenty while listening to music. I enjoy it.

I actually think it's BS that you aren't allowed, as long as they check your device to make sure you aren't communicating.

Hearing isn't much of an issue for Ashley (on the bike, riding wise), as she was smoking fast and safe.
Bytor
4/3/2014 6:29pm
I use my iPhone and earbuds riding all the time. I do still have a stock exhaust. I can ride longer motos when rocking out for sure. I would think some guys have tried it. I would think a set if goggles with heads up would be the hot ticket for MX. A pit board on your lens.
Socket946
4/3/2014 6:51pm
Josh422 wrote:
35smom wrote:
Someone didn't watch the St Louis interviews, did you?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/3/2014 7:24pm
Josh422 wrote:
No and no.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/3/2014 7:24pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Thinking Alessi tried it once at the MEC. Could be wrong though. Not sure how it worked out. Anyway, radio communication isn't allowed at AMA events...
Thinking Alessi tried it once at the MEC. Could be wrong though. Not sure how it worked out. Anyway, radio communication isn't allowed at AMA events per the rulebook.
Yes.
Mr. Info
4/3/2014 7:32pm
Most of the top riders have the google goggle that gives them a heads up display of laps, lap times and who is the rider in front of them or behind them and there time so they know if they are gaining or the rider behind is catching up. Its an amazing lense for the goggles.
JM485
4/3/2014 7:34pm
I've tried riding bmx with music in and I made it one lap around the skatepark and yanked my ear buds out! It seems pretty dangerous to not be able to hear what is going on around you, and i honestly never realized how much I relayed on my ears to know where other people were around me. To each their own, but I would never try that on an mx track, seems a little sketchy.
Bytor
4/3/2014 8:44pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Most of the top riders have the google goggle that gives them a heads up display of laps, lap times and who is the rider in...
Most of the top riders have the google goggle that gives them a heads up display of laps, lap times and who is the rider in front of them or behind them and there time so they know if they are gaining or the rider behind is catching up. Its an amazing lense for the goggles.
Cool thanks. I knew I was onto something there. Lol

Post a reply to: Do pro riders have radios in their helmet?

The Latest