Do knee braces even work ?

neysbo
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 9:41pm
I have seen in the last couple months 3 friends/racers tear up their knees bad- ACL and more. All were wearing top of the line knee braces. I really wonder if braces even help or possibly make it worse.

Back in 80's when I raced all we had was knee cups and there were hardly any torn ACL's or major knee injuries.

Not trying to start a shit storm but just got me thinking when today one of my good friends destroyed his knee with $1000 braces on.

|
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/15/2015 12:56pm
Would've/ could've probably been worse without them.

Also, most people don't wear them tight enough/ properly, which is a MUST.

Yes, they work. Knees have been getting tore up on dirt bikes for many years, just like collar bones and wrists...
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
8/15/2015 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 12:59pm
Back in the 80s life was good. Now tracks suck 4 strokes suck you have to ride 12 20 min Motos a week and there are no discount codes and I ride a orange bike that cost as much as a house wtf
KTMShane699
8/15/2015 12:58pm
I won't ride without them. They don't eliminate the forces applied, they simply transfer them to long bones which generally are stronger and heal better.

If I forgot my knee braces...I'd turn around and leave the track without unloading.

Shane
neysbo
8/15/2015 12:59pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Back in the 80s life was good. Now tracks suck 4 strokes suck you have to ride 12 20 min Motos a week and there are...
Back in the 80s life was good. Now tracks suck 4 strokes suck you have to ride 12 20 min Motos a week and there are no discount codes and I ride a orange bike that cost as much as a house wtf
I think you nailed it, it is the 4 strokes ....

The Shop

PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3249th
8/15/2015 1:17pm
I won't ride without them. They don't eliminate the forces applied, they simply transfer them to long bones which generally are stronger and heal better. If...
I won't ride without them. They don't eliminate the forces applied, they simply transfer them to long bones which generally are stronger and heal better.

If I forgot my knee braces...I'd turn around and leave the track without unloading.

Shane
Shane I'm with you. I would also like to point out the impact protection they offer. There are numerous gouges out of mine from pegs and other things over time that surely would have resulted in stitches without. Now that I've been wearing braces for about 2 years they are as vital as a helmet to me. I won't get on the bike without them.
BAMX
8/15/2015 1:23pm
I won't ride without them. They don't eliminate the forces applied, they simply transfer them to long bones which generally are stronger and heal better. If...

Shane
PNWOffroad wrote:
Shane I'm with you. I would also like to point out the impact protection they offer. There are numerous gouges out of mine from pegs and...
Shane I'm with you. I would also like to point out the impact protection they offer. There are numerous gouges out of mine from pegs and other things over time that surely would have resulted in stitches without. Now that I've been wearing braces for about 2 years they are as vital as a helmet to me. I won't get on the bike without them.
I am with you on the impact protection. Even if they say only offer minimal knee protection, they offer excellent impact protection. I cracked a EVS carbon brace with a handlebar in thigh area. I could only imagine what that would have done without them.
8/15/2015 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 1:52pm
I tried riding without knee braces once when I forgot to pack them and couldn't manage a lap, seriously. I think some of it probably comes down to better boot protection, in the 80's the ankle might have taken more of a hit, that force will go somewhere so knee is the next stop. There is only so much protection that can be offered, and twisting has to be the hardest to cover, but the general all round protection they offer from side impact etc can't be beaten.

Had a friend that got caught in a first turn pile up, leg out with the bars coming down on top of his knee, snapped his femur where the brace ended, brutal at the time but a lot less trouble than a destroyed knee
Grizz
8/15/2015 1:58pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Back in the 80s life was good. Now tracks suck 4 strokes suck you have to ride 12 20 min Motos a week and there are...
Post of the year!
8/15/2015 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 2:05pm
Statistically, YES they work. Read the medical study that Dr. Mark Sanders did. He began the study with some preconceived notions that knee braces were snake oil. The results showed they were not. Asked if he wears knees braces, the doc said..."I do now."

That said, the two most important factors in getting the most out of a knee brace:
1. It must solidly stop your motion short of extension.
2. You must use an anti rotation strap.

Without these two....chances are they will do no good. Most people just put them on without understanding how they work, how to adjust them, etc.
j368
8/15/2015 3:15pm

Shane
Same as what he said. To me their like a helmet, won't ride without them. I know they've saved me a couple surgeries.
bob567
8/15/2015 3:15pm
I heard Windham and Everts never wore knee braces and did not have knee injuries. Tall riders tend to have many knee injuries even with knee braces but they do help.
shanes
8/15/2015 5:21pm

Shane
PNWOffroad wrote:
Shane I'm with you. I would also like to point out the impact protection they offer. There are numerous gouges out of mine from pegs and...
as above , i have had 7 surgeries on my right knee and 2 on my left , i destroyed my right knee back in the 80's racing SX .
no brace on the market can stop your knee from twisting but they hold it together from sliding forwards , with out braces if i come up short or over jump the pressure from landing the top bone will push out over the lower leg and dislocate my knee , the braces hold it all together .

i have tried just about every brace out there over the years the best ones i have found are the new alpinestars

if my braces are not in my bag i don't ride
brimx153
8/15/2015 5:40pm
bob567 wrote:
I heard Windham and Everts never wore knee braces and did not have knee injuries. Tall riders tend to have many knee injuries even with knee...
I heard Windham and Everts never wore knee braces and did not have knee injuries. Tall riders tend to have many knee injuries even with knee braces but they do help.
i know for a fact Everts did nt . but he did destory his knee in 1999 and missed most of that year . did nt wear them after that either tho . copper web does nt wear them .
brimx153
8/15/2015 5:43pm

Shane
PNWOffroad wrote:
shanes wrote:
as above , i have had 7 surgeries on my right knee and 2 on my left , i destroyed my right knee back in the...
as above , i have had 7 surgeries on my right knee and 2 on my left , i destroyed my right knee back in the 80's racing SX .
no brace on the market can stop your knee from twisting but they hold it together from sliding forwards , with out braces if i come up short or over jump the pressure from landing the top bone will push out over the lower leg and dislocate my knee , the braces hold it all together .

i have tried just about every brace out there over the years the best ones i have found are the new alpinestars

if my braces are not in my bag i don't ride
i was thinking of getting the a stars one .have you every had cti ? and if so how do they compare ?? i either thinking of the new leatt one or a stars
shanes
8/15/2015 5:50pm
i have used custom CTI but years ago as that was the only brace you could get at the time .

i can not comment on the new ones as i have not tried them . you won't be disappointed with the Astars i had the older model as well as the latest ones i wear now , the older one was good i liked it better than the PODs but it was wide and took some getting used to the new ones are very narrow and very comfortable to wear .
the guy i ride with tried them one he had the tastes PODs he went out and brought the Astars as well the strapping system on the Astars is a lot better than POD .
i didn't like the Astricks as they never stay in position they always slipped down and rotated inwards i had to re adjust them after every ride .
njracer46
8/15/2015 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 6:03pm
Few points

Most people just order a set and wear them. Try as many on as possible and see what one is the best fit for you. I brought my off the shelf asterisk to the guy who measured for my cti and had him see how it fit on me. The original asterisk cell is the best brace I've owned.

It's a piece of safety gear, it well help but will not stop you from injuries. It can only do so much exp if it's not fit right, twists or moves upon impact. It can do more harm then good if that happens

I forget exactly what he said because it was 6 years ago. My surgeon when I had acl, plus 3 other ligaments surgery was pretty against knee braces. He's a well known surgeon and has a very good reputation. His first words when I asked for a script for a custom cti was, you motocrossers sure do love your knee braces. I've been riding with them for so long that I can't ride without them. But he went on to say they can do more harm then good and some other technically gargin that I don't remember.

No piece of safety gear can protect you from everything, doesn't matter if it's helmets, neck brace, chest protector, knee braces or whatever it is.

Remember, if they are sliding up and down on you, stop using them before you destroy your knee

I'm torture testing a set of mobious braces. So far I like them better then the cti and pod. But still the original cell is my favorite
brimx153
8/15/2015 6:22pm
shanes wrote:
i have used custom CTI but years ago as that was the only brace you could get at the time . i can not comment on...
i have used custom CTI but years ago as that was the only brace you could get at the time .

i can not comment on the new ones as i have not tried them . you won't be disappointed with the Astars i had the older model as well as the latest ones i wear now , the older one was good i liked it better than the PODs but it was wide and took some getting used to the new ones are very narrow and very comfortable to wear .
the guy i ride with tried them one he had the tastes PODs he went out and brought the Astars as well the strapping system on the Astars is a lot better than POD .
i didn't like the Astricks as they never stay in position they always slipped down and rotated inwards i had to re adjust them after every ride .
thanks for the info
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/15/2015 6:25pm
In my personal experience, yes they work. I rode without them for the longest time (didn't want to buy more shit). Since wearing them, I have had instances where I drag my foot in a rut or twist my leg from my foot hanging off and they have helped keep my leg together for sure. Even messing up and twisting my knee that I have torn up years ago, my brace kept it from twisting into a busted POS.
KTMShane699
8/15/2015 6:33pm
brimx153 wrote:
i was thinking of getting the a stars one .have you every had cti ? and if so how do they compare ?? i either thinking...
i was thinking of getting the a stars one .have you every had cti ? and if so how do they compare ?? i either thinking of the new leatt one or a stars
CTi knee braces are all I've worn. There's nothing quite like a custom fit brace. The downside is they become sensitive to changes in musculature of your legs. Gain or lose mass and it can change the fit of the brace. That still being said, it's the brace for me. I know in the spring when I can ride again, I'll be getting a new pair.

Shane
dcg141
8/15/2015 6:55pm
I am 55 and have 2 torn ACL's. They help stabilize my knees. There is no subsitute for a strong set of quads, but yea they for sure help.
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
8/15/2015 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 7:09pm
Just like neck braces, if "you" think you cannot ride without them then they must work for you. Cool

On they flip side many have raced without them for years and have never had a knee issue, myself (37 years of racing) included.
k cycle
8/15/2015 7:20pm
dcg141 wrote:
I am 55 and have 2 torn ACL's. They help stabilize my knees. There is no subsitute for a strong set of quads, but yea they...
I am 55 and have 2 torn ACL's. They help stabilize my knees. There is no subsitute for a strong set of quads, but yea they for sure help.
After tearing an ACL the knee is never 100% again. I think knee braces is a must after ACL reconstruction. Been several years since I've had a MX bike, but after having both ACLs repaired no way I would ride without them.
agn5009
8/15/2015 7:38pm
I broke one of my evs braces one time and had to send it in to be fixed. The first day riding without them I tore my miniscus in a turn. Didn't even crash. I haven't ridden without my knee braces since. Don't over think things when it comes to protecting yourself from injuries. Of course you can still get injured with a high priced brace. Same goes with a high priced helmet. But you probably would've got more hurt with something cheap. You won't ever see a factory rider not wearing knee braces. Why do you think that is? If knee pads were better, don't you think they'd use them?
Trav138
8/15/2015 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 7:55pm
jesus christ man, you are psychic...Sick
no, he just knows EVERYTHING lol.
agn5009
8/15/2015 8:03pm
jesus christ man, you are psychic...Sick
Trav138 wrote:
no, he just knows EVERYTHING lol.
Nah this dude just has a hard on for me. Not sure why, he follows all my posts and gives me grief on everything. I pretty much just ignore him.
slipdog
8/15/2015 8:12pm
Never worn a knee brace, '83 to present.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
8/15/2015 9:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 9:48pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
lakvoodoo
6/5/2017 5:48pm
Haven't heard about this re: doctor/insurance. Is this for any type/brand of kneebrace or one in particular? Maybe this will encourage me to finally get some! Thx.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
6/5/2017 6:05pm
No knee braces here. When I ride I always make sure my inside leg never touches the ground and I will fall over before I try to dab my foot.

That being said I have been bringing a set of mobius braces to the track everytime I go but I just can't fell comfortable in them.

Post a reply to: Do knee braces even work ?

The Latest