Discrimination at Mini O's

Sonny
11/24/2010 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2010 6:47pm
In a sue happy world, I understand where they are coming from. Just because someone has a spinal injury doesn't mean the worse has already happened. The risk of a fatal internal organ injury is much greater with a person with paralysis because of the bodies inability to brace as well as manipulate body position, during a crash is compromised. Spelling the promoter off as a great discriminator is probably not fair.

For the record, I'm sympathetic to Darius Glover and the entire situation. The kid want's to ride and he's being held back. Never a cool deal.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
11/24/2010 6:53pm
Zacka 161 wrote:
I ride myself with crash bars and whatnot and im definately competitive and have won many races against able bodied riders It took me a long...
I ride myself with crash bars and whatnot and im definately competitive and have won many races against able bodied riders

It took me a long time and to agree to many conditions before i was able to ride.
I need to have a minimum of two people ready around the track to run and pick me up in case i fall
i had to be assessed by a psychologist to ensure i was mentally stable in making the decission to ride
the bars and modifications had to be approved by an engineeer
and i had to get a letter from my doctor saying that me riding was not putting myself in more danger of increasing the severity of my injuries
and i had to passed a standard balence test

And even after all of that i am still only approved to ride in the state i live in.

Now it all sounds like bullshit but there is definately reasons behind everything - MA (motorcycling Australia) the Aussie equivelant of AMA needs to ensure they are protected by their insurance which is not always easy to ensure. He needs to understand that their is more to this than just the track and officials on the day - it can put the whole of the AMA organisation at risk. I mean i got the shits as much of the next bloke - but i dont see it as discrimination so much as risk management for a large organisation that is esential to the sport we all love.

It can be worked around but if you rock up at a huge event like Mini O's without prior discussion and approval - then really their hands are tied. I dont think he can really expect to just rock up and ride. Imagine if he rode, done a jump, crashed and broke his neck, whos to say that his parents wont sue the AMA or the club or both, or a rider that might land on him, or a flaggie that tries to pick him up etc. Without the paperwork and protection in place this can happen. people have sued over much less
MxDaD324 wrote:
I think its terrible you had to go thru all that BS to ride. Darius has ridden in many states and has NEVER been turned away...
I think its terrible you had to go thru all that BS to ride.
Darius has ridden in many states and has NEVER been turned away!!!

They are discriminating against someone with a disability and thats the bottom line.
Yeah im sure they really hate people in wheelchairs, yeah thats what it is.

I dont know the details and being a wheelchair myself i never felt discriminated against. I mean i had that line ready to pull out and guilt people into letting me ride if i needed to but thankfully i didnt. You clearly have no problem with throwing it around.
GIwasB4
11/24/2010 6:56pm
James Stewart will win the SX chamionship, so who cares?
ReedyMX
11/24/2010 7:00pm
I think he should be allowed to race.

But I think there should be several things organized b4 you just rock up to the track and try to enter.

Flaggies have to be trained on what to do if he falls off. How to pick him and bike up.

What happens on the start line does some one hold him up. Is there enough room? Is it safe. roost in eye etc

Are the protection bars dangerous in the first corner when everybody is rubbin. Can somebodies leg get stuck in it and ripped off?

If he really wanted to race he should of made prior arrangements with the people involved.

Litigation ??????

The Shop

wet paint
11/24/2010 7:01pm
One of the many reasons we do not attend that event anymore. Nothing like racing on concrete plus when you take into account how many have been killed there it is not worth it.
JustMX
11/24/2010 7:11pm
wet paint wrote:
One of the many reasons we do not attend that event anymore. Nothing like racing on concrete plus when you take into account how many have...
One of the many reasons we do not attend that event anymore. Nothing like racing on concrete plus when you take into account how many have been killed there it is not worth it.
how many have been killed there?

The only death I ever heard about at the mino's was Ricky Joseph in the early 90's.

There was an atv racer and an emt that rolled an atv over an embankment, but how many other racer fatalities have there been in the mini os?
Grieby54
11/24/2010 7:24pm
Zacka 161 wrote:
I ride myself with crash bars and whatnot and im definately competitive and have won many races against able bodied riders It took me a long...
I ride myself with crash bars and whatnot and im definately competitive and have won many races against able bodied riders

It took me a long time and to agree to many conditions before i was able to ride.
I need to have a minimum of two people ready around the track to run and pick me up in case i fall
i had to be assessed by a psychologist to ensure i was mentally stable in making the decission to ride
the bars and modifications had to be approved by an engineeer
and i had to get a letter from my doctor saying that me riding was not putting myself in more danger of increasing the severity of my injuries
and i had to passed a standard balence test

And even after all of that i am still only approved to ride in the state i live in.

Now it all sounds like bullshit but there is definately reasons behind everything - MA (motorcycling Australia) the Aussie equivelant of AMA needs to ensure they are protected by their insurance which is not always easy to ensure. He needs to understand that their is more to this than just the track and officials on the day - it can put the whole of the AMA organisation at risk. I mean i got the shits as much of the next bloke - but i dont see it as discrimination so much as risk management for a large organisation that is esential to the sport we all love.

It can be worked around but if you rock up at a huge event like Mini O's without prior discussion and approval - then really their hands are tied. I dont think he can really expect to just rock up and ride. Imagine if he rode, done a jump, crashed and broke his neck, whos to say that his parents wont sue the AMA or the club or both, or a rider that might land on him, or a flaggie that tries to pick him up etc. Without the paperwork and protection in place this can happen. people have sued over much less
MxDaD324 wrote:
I think its terrible you had to go thru all that BS to ride. Darius has ridden in many states and has NEVER been turned away...
I think its terrible you had to go thru all that BS to ride.
Darius has ridden in many states and has NEVER been turned away!!!

They are discriminating against someone with a disability and thats the bottom line.
Zacka 161 wrote:
Yeah im sure they really hate people in wheelchairs, yeah thats what it is. I dont know the details and being a wheelchair myself i never...
Yeah im sure they really hate people in wheelchairs, yeah thats what it is.

I dont know the details and being a wheelchair myself i never felt discriminated against. I mean i had that line ready to pull out and guilt people into letting me ride if i needed to but thankfully i didnt. You clearly have no problem with throwing it around.
You are an amazing individual, and I applaud you for your level headedness and openmindedness. As for MxDaD, while I'm sure he means well, he sounds like an ignorant ass that is slandering an organization that is trying to protect themselves.

MxDaD, is your head really so far up your ass that you think Mini O's is turning away this kid because they have something against individuals with disabilities? Could it possibly be that their insurance doesn't cover it and they haven't had time to iron out the details because Darius just showed up?

Believe me, I'd love if this kid got his shot out on the track like he should, I'm sure the owners and promoters of the event feel the same way. But, if Darius suffers further injury you're not liable, and neither am I - the track owners are. So before you slander these people, remove your head from your anus and consider all the variables.
mx317
11/24/2010 7:25pm
From AMA rulebook:
Special Note: The American Motorcyclist Association does not test
the skill of individual participants in AMA-sanctioned events, nor
does the Association license amateur competitors or judge rider
competence. Participants are solely responsible for their safety. AMA
Competition and ATVA Memberships are interchangeable.
MxDaD324
11/24/2010 8:02pm
Grieby54 wrote:
You are an amazing individual, and I applaud you for your level headedness and openmindedness. As for MxDaD, while I'm sure he means well, he sounds...
You are an amazing individual, and I applaud you for your level headedness and openmindedness. As for MxDaD, while I'm sure he means well, he sounds like an ignorant ass that is slandering an organization that is trying to protect themselves.

MxDaD, is your head really so far up your ass that you think Mini O's is turning away this kid because they have something against individuals with disabilities? Could it possibly be that their insurance doesn't cover it and they haven't had time to iron out the details because Darius just showed up?

Believe me, I'd love if this kid got his shot out on the track like he should, I'm sure the owners and promoters of the event feel the same way. But, if Darius suffers further injury you're not liable, and neither am I - the track owners are. So before you slander these people, remove your head from your anus and consider all the variables.
This isnt the topic to be running your fucking mouth like you are because you have no idea what the fuck your talking about.

Get your head out of your ass and take a look above at the rule book.

You had an ignorant official that made a baseless call. He hasnt seemed to have had any problems at the 30 other tracks hes ridden.
Grieby54
11/24/2010 8:04pm
Grieby54 wrote:
You are an amazing individual, and I applaud you for your level headedness and openmindedness. As for MxDaD, while I'm sure he means well, he sounds...

MxDaD324 wrote:
This isnt the topic to be running your fucking mouth like you are because you have no idea what the fuck your talking about. Get your...
This isnt the topic to be running your fucking mouth like you are because you have no idea what the fuck your talking about.

You had an ignorant official that made a baseless call. He hasnt seemed to have had any problems at the 30 other tracks hes ridden.
Mmmm... nothing makes your post sound more intelligent than sprinkingling the F word in every here and there.

Your son must be proud of his father... typical mini dad.
CamP
11/24/2010 8:09pm
This AMA official sounds like he is shooting from the hip.
Sparkalounger
11/24/2010 8:12pm
Grieby54 wrote:

MxDaD324 wrote:
This isnt the topic to be running your fucking mouth like you are because you have no idea what the fuck your talking about. Get your...

Grieby54 wrote:
Mmmm... nothing makes your post sound more intelligent than sprinkingling the F word in every here and there. Your son must be proud of his father...
Mmmm... nothing makes your post sound more intelligent than sprinkingling the F word in every here and there.

no kidding...
Unsure
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
11/24/2010 8:18pm
mx317 wrote:
From AMA rulebook: Special Note: The American Motorcyclist Association does not test the skill of individual participants in AMA-sanctioned events, nor does the Association license amateur...
From AMA rulebook:
Special Note: The American Motorcyclist Association does not test
the skill of individual participants in AMA-sanctioned events, nor
does the Association license amateur competitors or judge rider
competence. Participants are solely responsible for their safety. AMA
Competition and ATVA Memberships are interchangeable.
I take this with a grain of salt

Is there not a multitude of other rules that govern the track, bikes, scrutineering, motorcycle modifications and the like that may be the responsibility of the AMA. And if these are not abided by does the blame/responsiblity, if an injury is to occur because of the AMA not abiding by the other rules, fall upon the AMA?
MxDaD324
11/24/2010 8:18pm
CamP wrote:
This AMA official sounds like he is shooting from the hip.
EXACTLY!!!
MxDaD324
11/24/2010 8:23pm
MxDaD324 wrote:

Grieby54 wrote:
Mmmm... nothing makes your post sound more intelligent than sprinkingling the F word in every here and there. Your son must be proud of his father...

no kidding...
Unsure
Sorry but i also take offense to being called an ignorant ass, and whatever else you felt necessary to say. You have no idea what this kid has gone thru and what many of us have sacrificed to help him with his dream to just race his dirtbike.
Say what you will but they have no grounds to turn him away. NONE!!!
flarider
11/24/2010 8:36pm
I think some folks need to step back and try to at least look at this from all sides.
I understand the rider wants to ride, completely understandable.
But what no one here on this forum knows is any insurance or liability issues that could arise by allowing him to ride, and this is racing at a national level, not local racing.

NASCAR doesn't allow handicapped racers race without passing tests and proving that not only can they maintain control, but minimum speeds

I think to say they're "discriminating" isn't quite fair, it seems to me that there are quite a few factors to consider in regards to everyone, from the disabled rider, to the issues and concerns of the sanction and promoter to the safety of other riders on the track.

It is undeniable that a rider incapable of lifting himself and motorcycle off the course, requiring others to run onto the course, in harms way, has to be considered a safety issue, and again let me remind you, this is national championship level racing, not local racing.

and again, I understand the rider's position as well.

Point is, it isn't as cut and dry as some want to make it, there is legitimate concerns on one side and disappointment on the other, but one fact that is indisputable is that NO ONE on this forum knows all the facts and behind the scene details
Sonny
11/24/2010 8:37pm
MxDaD324 wrote:
Sorry but i also take offense to being called an ignorant ass, and whatever else you felt necessary to say. You have no idea what this...
Sorry but i also take offense to being called an ignorant ass, and whatever else you felt necessary to say. You have no idea what this kid has gone thru and what many of us have sacrificed to help him with his dream to just race his dirtbike.
I personally don't believe that anyone did this out of malice to this kid. Life isn't always fair either. It's honorable that you've sacrificed for this kid and I get your point, but litigation will determine the final outcome.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
11/24/2010 9:01pm
i can see some of the ama officals points here, it is a national title, there is a bit more at stake,

does the bike with all the mods meet all the rules? is there a max width it is over? i can see the point with the starts as well, does he need outside assistance off the start?

if there is a large first turn crash he is part of and him and his bike ends up on top of someone, he can not lift it off, and the person underneath gets burnt or hurt i can see some problems,

i have much respect for the rider for trying, but being an official i can see why questions would need to be asked?
TerryK
11/24/2010 9:15pm
flarider wrote:
I think some folks need to step back and try to at least look at this from all sides. I understand the rider wants to ride...
I think some folks need to step back and try to at least look at this from all sides.
But what no one here on this forum knows is any insurance or liability issues that could arise by allowing him to ride, and this is racing at a national level, not local racing.

NASCAR doesn't allow handicapped racers race without passing tests and proving that not only can they maintain control, but minimum speeds

I think to say they're "discriminating" isn't quite fair, it seems to me that there are quite a few factors to consider in regards to everyone, from the disabled rider, to the issues and concerns of the sanction and promoter to the safety of other riders on the track.

It is undeniable that a rider incapable of lifting himself and motorcycle off the course, requiring others to run onto the course, in harms way, has to be considered a safety issue, and again let me remind you, this is national championship level racing, not local racing.

Point is, it isn't as cut and dry as some want to make it, there is legitimate concerns on one side and disappointment on the other, but one fact that is indisputable is that NO ONE on this forum knows all the facts and behind the scene details
Well said Dave.
Grieby54
11/24/2010 9:27pm
Grieby54 wrote:

no kidding...
Unsure
MxDaD324 wrote:
Sorry but i also take offense to being called an ignorant ass, and whatever else you felt necessary to say. You have no idea what this...
So what happens when Darius has a racing incident, which we all know is a part of the sport, and another rider gets trapped under his burning header? Then it takes several people to lift Darius and his bike off of the other rider, resulting in severe burns. Or worse, he get tangled with another rider and is unable to avoid a serious wreck? The track owners are liable for the injuries to the other rider for allowing someone to compete that cannot physically do some things necessary in this sport.

Like I said, I want this kid to ride and race. He deserves to. But expecting to show up to a huge amateur national without this set up beforehand is not likely going to work. And you are making a fool of your self by calling that discrimination.
4mxonly
11/24/2010 9:39pm
MxDaD324 wrote:
Well said EI Dave. Also, MXDad, you need to come down off of your emotional high-horse and consider both sides like a rational human being. I have had the distinct pleasure of meeting Darius through my involvement with the ADN (Athletes with disABILITIES Network) and the Extremity Games, and have never in my life, met and worked alongside some of the most pleasant and motivated people living on this earth. AMA motocross directors like Kip Bigelow (not saying that Kip is the one that made the call, because quite frankly, I just don't know) are some of the most competent decision-makers in motocross. Obviously Darius is upset that he traveled all that way to get denied access to race (I saw it on his facebook earlier today), but there are considerations regarding Darius and other riders' safety, that are clearly beyond your comprehension. I'm sure that some sort of common ground will be made, and more importantly, that each party can learn from this for similar scenarios that will likely come up in the future. That being said, good luck Darius, hope to see you out there, doing what you love at Gatorback MX Park.
jeffro503
11/24/2010 9:56pm
flarider wrote:
I think some folks need to step back and try to at least look at this from all sides. I understand the rider wants to ride...

TerryK wrote:
Well said Dave.
X2 Terry! Very well said indeed!

BTW....I'm a huge fan of DG and what he has accomplished! After watching that video of him , and seeing how much he enjoys riding / racing.....how could you not be a fan of this kid??

I hope they let him race. But I DO understand the concerns the track officials have.
CrashMaster
11/24/2010 11:43pm
Props to Darius for having the drive to race. But just like everyone else has said this is a NATIONAL CHAPIONSHIP RACE, not a local ride day or local race track, it's just to dangerous especially in the c class.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
11/25/2010 1:01am
I don't understand all the comments about the concern of him falling off his bike and not being able to lift it up himself , or the fact he could get out of control on the bike and take another rider out. Those to things can happen to anyone at anytime on a track.

Him falling and not being able to get up is no different than someone falling and Knocking them selves out, they need someone to come out and lift them up dont they? i have seen fully abled riders trapped under bikes waiting for officials to run over and lift the bike up off them all the while getting some nasty burns from the bike, that sort of stuff can happend to anyone, fall off break both your wrists you wont be lifting yourself or the bike off any time quick.

Like what has already been posted though, it is not discrimination untill all the facts are known, im sure no one in their right mind would say, no you can not ride or race MX because you have a disibility, there has to be more to it than that, well you would hope so.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out, and would be good once all the facts are out there for all to see.
MxDaD324
11/25/2010 6:26am
Im really suprised so many of you guys buy into the insurance bullshit. I think you will be hard pressed to find verbiage in a policy that states paralyzed people cant race. I made a comment earlier...was Ashley Fiolek ever denied there? Being a deaf rider certainly has its dangers for the rider and others.
The AMA changed their tune and said its up to the track owner. They inspected his bike and had no issues with it. After talking to the track owner this morning the final answer is he wont be able the race.
And the final reason he was told was because " Other riders would complain".
Cygnus
11/25/2010 6:35am
I am surprised no one has thrown the race card out there yet?
CamP
11/25/2010 6:39am
newmann wrote:
So as I understand this, it's completely fine for a rider to show up and get paralyzed in an AMA event, just don't fucking come back...
So as I understand this, it's completely fine for a rider to show up and get paralyzed in an AMA event, just don't fucking come back after.
What Newmann said. ^^^
newmann
11/25/2010 6:42am
I'm really suprised to see so many people buy into this National Championship bullshit when it's been stated he wants to ride the C Class.

Hi everyone, my Lil Johnny is a National Championship winning spode.....uh....um, I mean sandbagger....and we'd like to thank Dunlop for hooking us up with the holeshot and American Honda for the five free bikes and traveling expenses and Engine Ice for helping us keep our cool when people poke fun at us.
MxDaD324
11/25/2010 6:43am
Cygnus wrote:
I am surprised no one has thrown the race card out there yet?
If you know Darius he will never throw that BS around. He knows its about his condition and not about his color.
MxDaD324
11/25/2010 6:45am
newmann wrote:
I'm really suprised to see so many people buy into this National Championship bullshit when it's been stated he wants to ride the C Class. Hi...
I'm really suprised to see so many people buy into this National Championship bullshit when it's been stated he wants to ride the C Class.

Hi everyone, my Lil Johnny is a National Championship winning spode.....uh....um, I mean sandbagger....and we'd like to thank Dunlop for hooking us up with the holeshot and American Honda for the five free bikes and traveling expenses and Engine Ice for helping us keep our cool when people poke fun at us.
newmann i like your style... I needed that laugh.

Post a reply to: Discrimination at Mini O's

The Latest