Direct injection when?

Edited Date/Time 2/15/2016 5:41am
It has been now 8 models since the first fuel injection with a throttle body came out. By all accounts i have read, direct injection is another level higher in performance. The technology is just sitting there, when are we going to get it ?and why have not we got it yet?
|
2/15/2016 2:49am
When FI (or DI, they're not the same thing) becomes cheaper for manufacturers than carbies. I'm guessing you mean 2 strokes and I'm unsure if Keihin or Mikuni make injection systems for 2 strokes. Direct or fuel injection for 2 strokes has been around for years.
MR. X
2/15/2016 3:48am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2016 3:48am
They gotta milk the the current technology first ,til it's bone dry.
Bearuno
2/15/2016 3:50am
The way the original poster wrote it, I assume he's referring to 4Ts. And, it's a very fair question.

When it becomes cost effective/ is driven by legislation. Just as EFI / DFI/ Trapping valve tech, things like that Ryger Revo125 Kart engine tech, and other techs , Will be applied to 2 strokes. There is no one solution, but, as with everything, you'll tend to get most manufacturers going towards the one thing. Just as modern 4ts - hell, even Postie Bikes, have gone to EFI.

Many of you already will be driving DFI equipped cars , wether you realize it, or not........ Tongue

It Will happen with Bikes, through further need for cleaner burning, better fuel consumption, whilst still retaining / increasing power.

The powers that be, Will, eventually, target off highway / race vehicles for tighter controls - the fun police / environmentalists Will ensure that.

The Shop

2/15/2016 3:55am
Do they have a high pressure pump like that for a dirt bike?

I say give it ten years.
blusmbl
2/15/2016 3:59am
It has been now 8 models since the first fuel injection with a throttle body came out. By all accounts i have read, direct injection is...
It has been now 8 models since the first fuel injection with a throttle body came out. By all accounts i have read, direct injection is another level higher in performance. The technology is just sitting there, when are we going to get it ?and why have not we got it yet?
It's a bunch of added weight and complexity for no appreciable performance benefit. Direct injection is better for emission control at lower engine loads, but at WOT there isn't any real advantage over a port fuel injection system.
2/15/2016 5:41am
thanks guys, yes i was talking for 4T's. Ok so maybe i have been mislead with the performance gains from D.I.

Post a reply to: Direct injection when?

The Latest