Did someone pass away at Tomahawk?

thecolonel610
Edited Date/Time 8/6/2014 8:04pm
Heard some horrific news from Tomahawk yesterday, wondering if theres any truth to it?
|
bv
8/4/2014 6:43am
I heard the same thing. It looks like it was at a vintage race. I saw this on the AHRMA North Atlantic facebook page but dont know anything else

It is with profound sadness, I announce, that yesterday while competing at Tomahawk Raceway, in Hedgesville, West Virginia, the Motocross racing community lost one of it’s own. The Rider's name is being withheld for the moment, out of respect for the family, but for now I wanted to give thanks to Bill Mathews, George Nebeling, and others, who rushed to the fallen rider’s aid. I also want to thank all of those who joined us in prayer that evening. A formal announcement will be made soon, but I ask for your prayers, for the AHRMA and Master’s Racing community, as we deal with this tragic loss…..
RealityCheck
8/4/2014 8:00am
Heard some horrific news from Tomahawk yesterday, wondering if theres any truth to it?
I was there. The track personnel did a great job handling the situation.
HazemG
8/4/2014 8:02am
Bad weekend of riding.. Terrible news.
8/4/2014 8:38am
I assumed the worst after I saw their post on FB that sunday practice was cancelled. Good to hear the situation was handled well. RIP fellow rider, thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

The Shop

Jack mehoff
8/4/2014 5:58pm
My condolences to the family was it a master rider or a vintage guy ? Was it a on track or health related ?
RealityCheck
8/4/2014 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 7:30pm
My condolences to the family was it a master rider or a vintage guy ? Was it a on track or health related ?
Vintage. It was an on track incident. He hit a large hole at speed and flipped over the bars.
RealityCheck
8/6/2014 7:50pm
More info (from Masters MX):

Dr. Michael Kavounas 1962 - 2014

This past weekend, we experienced the ultimate tragedy in motocross racing with the passing of Dr. Michael Kavounas. Michael joined us at this race from north central Pennsylvania and was competing in a post-vintage class on his Maico when he experienced a hard crash on the upper portion of the track. Despite prompt and aggressive medical care, he passed away on Saturday as a result of his injuries.

Many of you have expressed your condolences and asked what we as a motocross community can do to help the family during this most difficult time. We will take up a collection at our August 24 event at Budds Creek, so for those of you inclined to participate in that, please set aside a few extra dollars to contribute at signup. If you are unable to make the Budds Creek event or would prefer to assist in a more private manner, I have attached Dr. Kavounas' obituary and a web link below. Both include information about Dr. Kavounas and how we might honor his life and memory with a contribution to worthy causes. Also, let's remember to keep the family in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again to everyone in our Masters and AHRMA communities for your kindness, concern and extra consideration during this most difficult period.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/potterleaderenterprise/obituary.aspx?n=dr-michael-kavounas&pid=171969857&fhid=15331

lumpy790
8/6/2014 8:03pm
Saddens me to hear of a fallen Moto Brother.
jeffro503
8/6/2014 8:04pm
Man what a bummer! Tough week for this sport. My thoughts go out to his family , friends and all his competitors at the track. RIP brother.....and if it was going to happen , I bet you went out with a smile on your face doing what you love.

Post a reply to: Did someone pass away at Tomahawk?

The Latest