Did MX help Reed for Sx?

snowy816
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:52am
If you watch the last two Australian SX races it looks like Reed is hanging it out more then he used to in SX imo. He seems to be taking more risks and was the only one doing the Triple triple combo in one event (can't remember then one) last race he was pinning it through that sand section triple in and quad out I believe and really hanging it out.

I think Reed is going to step it up more than this year in the SX, needs to ensure he gets the starts and I think he will definately put some wins in!

I am gunning for my fellow AUSSIE for the #1 plate.
|
MXGooner
12/1/2009 8:45pm
Most Definetely. I think he'll be stronger at the end of Mains, when Stewart would sometimes pull away. Also be able to apply more pressure, which leads to...
seven11
12/1/2009 8:53pm
more seat time will help any rider
Big Lenny
12/1/2009 8:53pm
Yeah, once he realizes he'll have to find another 20mph after A1...
jmar
12/1/2009 8:56pm
Not at all other than convincing some of you that he really is one of the greatest riders that this sport has ever seen.

The Shop

jmar
12/1/2009 9:01pm
MXGooner wrote:
Most Definetely. I think he'll be stronger at the end of Mains, when Stewart would sometimes pull away. Also be able to apply more pressure, which...
Most Definetely. I think he'll be stronger at the end of Mains, when Stewart would sometimes pull away. Also be able to apply more pressure, which leads to...
He will be no stronger than he has always been. Some of you seem to think that "supercross" is less physically demanding than the outdoors.

Not so and the only difference is the heat factor. Being able to ride in the heat doesn't do anyone any good in the supercross series.
BobbyM
12/1/2009 9:04pm
snowy816 wrote:
If you watch the last two Australian SX races it looks like Reed is hanging it out more then he used to in SX imo. He...
If you watch the last two Australian SX races it looks like Reed is hanging it out more then he used to in SX imo. He seems to be taking more risks and was the only one doing the Triple triple combo in one event (can't remember then one) last race he was pinning it through that sand section triple in and quad out I believe and really hanging it out.

I think Reed is going to step it up more than this year in the SX, needs to ensure he gets the starts and I think he will definately put some wins in!

all racing helps all racing
jmar
12/1/2009 9:06pm
snowy816 wrote:
If you watch the last two Australian SX races it looks like Reed is hanging it out more then he used to in SX imo. He...

BobbyM wrote:
all racing helps all racing
It helps with staying in the racing frame of mind. Has nothing to do with endurance.
oldx
12/1/2009 9:11pm
I hope it helped him, will make some better racing if it did. How good would it be if 5 guys could all be on the same lap at lap 20?
TOWBAR
12/1/2009 9:14pm
I Think he means that he is riding more on the edge after his mx season! which if i remember correctly was one of reeds goals for the mx season. To learn how to ride on the edge!
Nikhil
12/1/2009 10:04pm
MXGooner wrote:
Most Definetely. I think he'll be stronger at the end of Mains, when Stewart would sometimes pull away. Also be able to apply more pressure, which...
jmar wrote:
He will be no stronger than he has always been. Some of you seem to think that "supercross" is less physically demanding than the outdoors. Not...
He will be no stronger than he has always been. Some of you seem to think that "supercross" is less physically demanding than the outdoors.

Not so and the only difference is the heat factor. Being able to ride in the heat doesn't do anyone any good in the supercross series.
It doesn't have to do with fitness, that's never been an issue for Reed. It's more about whether outdoors gave Reed the ability to pin it through the rough sections where he couldn't before.
jmar
12/1/2009 10:23pm
Pinning it through the rough sections will help him in supercross?

Supercross isn't about assholes and elbows. It's about timing and precision. The only thing that was a plus for Reed is that those with the "outdoors is for men and supercross is for pussies" type of guys are finally showing him some respect.

gt80rider
12/1/2009 10:38pm
jmar wrote:
Pinning it through the rough sections will help him in supercross? Supercross isn't about assholes and elbows. It's about timing and precision. The only thing that...

Supercross isn't about assholes and elbows. It's about timing and precision. The only thing that was a plus for Reed is that those with the "outdoors is for men and supercross is for pussies" type of guys are finally showing him some respect.

X2 on the timing and precision......

where was reed losing time to Bubba last year indoors? everywhere really.... but more so in the whoops and over large jumps.... Bubba could pull him 2 or 3 bike lengths in the whoops when he wanted to..... Bubba would exit the whoops 10 mph faster than what he entered them, where Reed was WFO through the whoops, but wasn't gaining the 10 mph that Bubba was...... over the triples, Bubba would gain a bike length or two when he wanted by scrubbing harder.... if Reed can find the speed in the whoops, and scrub harder, he'll give Bubba everything he can handle.....

and I don't think Reed looked all that good at the nats last year.... fast yes..... but not dominant.... i would think that if he would have pwned RV, BS, and MA outdoors, he'd enter the SX season much more confident than having lost to RV and MA early in the outdoors, then phoning it in the rest of the season against lesser competition....
jmar
12/1/2009 10:42pm
jmar wrote:
Pinning it through the rough sections will help him in supercross? Supercross isn't about assholes and elbows. It's about timing and precision. The only thing that...

gt80rider wrote:
X2 on the timing and precision...... where was reed losing time to Bubba last year indoors? everywhere really.... but more so in the whoops and over...

where was reed losing time to Bubba last year indoors? everywhere really.... but more so in the whoops and over large jumps.... Bubba could pull him 2 or 3 bike lengths in the whoops when he wanted to..... Bubba would exit the whoops 10 mph faster than what he entered them, where Reed was WFO through the whoops, but wasn't gaining the 10 mph that Bubba was...... over the triples, Bubba would gain a bike length or two when he wanted by scrubbing harder.... if Reed can find the speed in the whoops, and scrub harder, he'll give Bubba everything he can handle.....

and I don't think Reed looked all that good at the nats last year.... fast yes..... but not dominant.... i would think that if he would have pwned RV, BS, and MA outdoors, he'd enter the SX season much more confident than having lost to RV and MA early in the outdoors, then phoning it in the rest of the season against lesser competition....
Stewart also has insane corner speed.
mxgoon
12/1/2009 10:45pm
The biggest thing he needs to improve on over last year is his starts.

He can not afford to be starting in 5th while Bubba is out front pulling away.

jmar
12/1/2009 10:53pm
mxgoon wrote:
The biggest thing he needs to improve on over last year is his starts. He can not afford to be starting in 5th while Bubba is...
The biggest thing he needs to improve on over last year is his starts.

He can not afford to be starting in 5th while Bubba is out front pulling away.

I agree,he does need better starts but Reed seems to ride better when he's behind Stewart than he does when he's in front of him.

Reed is a very technical rider and the more complicated the track the more he excels. IMO Reeds biggest problem is that he has some type of mental block and he doesn't ride well under pressure.
Stephon
12/1/2009 10:59pm
jmar wrote:

gt80rider wrote:
X2 on the timing and precision...... where was reed losing time to Bubba last year indoors? everywhere really.... but more so in the whoops and over...

jmar wrote:
Stewart also has insane corner speed.
yeah, can't forget the corner speed and the late braking.
Nikhil
12/1/2009 11:26pm
jmar wrote:

Well, that's what Reed said he wanted to gain from outdoors.
kevin204
Fantasy
2870th
12/2/2009 12:18am
jmar wrote:

gt80rider wrote:

He was sick all summer long, I'm not sure we saw the real Chad Reed too often in the Nationals. Hell, he said he was sick for most of SX last year too. Not sure how much if affected him, but it will be interesting to see how this year goes.
snowy816
12/2/2009 12:20am
TOWBAR wrote:
I Think he means that he is riding more on the edge after his mx season! which if i remember correctly was one of reeds goals...
I Think he means that he is riding more on the edge after his mx season! which if i remember correctly was one of reeds goals for the mx season. To learn how to ride on the edge!
Yes that is exactly what I mean! HE is attacking the track more and doing it earlier in the race. He is going for it more with jump sections like Bubba does, watch the last two videos of the Superx and you can see IMO he looks more aggresive and really going for it..

I think he shocked people this year how much he stepped it up and believe he is going to step it up more next year.
Hank_Thrill
12/2/2009 12:22am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
As many others have said, seat time is seat time. A good example is that guy who rides cross country who raced a few nationals this year for Kawi, and whooped ass!

Psychologically, riding outdoors will have a tremendous effect on his perception of tracks. Racing outdoors like he did this year will make the roughest of Supercross tracks in '10 feel smooth as glass. If you spend 2 straight years riding nothing but Supercross, eventually what were once "small bumps" will psychologically turn into "big bumps" in your mind over time.
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
12/2/2009 3:52am
I just hope he's not burn out by the end or middle of the SX season from racing all year long.
R-acer
12/2/2009 4:11am
Big Lenny wrote:
Yeah, once he realizes he'll have to find another 20mph after A1...
WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
WhKnuckle
12/2/2009 4:44am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
I think it'll help him a lot in some ways - Reed needs a little more aggression indoors, and that's what you bring from MX. Reed is probably the best technical rider ever, but he gets beaten for championships by more aggressive guys when all other things are equal. The flip side is that Reed seems to go into a funk about riding occasionally and has trouble really bringing it when he does. Racing as much as he has this year, he's going to have to have a lot of mental discipline to face 17 races trying to beat Stewart every week - and if he doesn't mix it up with James every week, he's not going to beat him. If he starts taking safe seconds or thirds, he'll just go back to the same rut. He has to bring energy and enthusiasm to the war or he'll lose. And he's going to have to deal with Villo, too, so he's going to be in another situation where he's going to have aggression ahead and aggression behind.

Should be an interesting SX season.
Cygnus
12/2/2009 4:56am
I think the Aussie SX series will be more of a help than the MX season was for Reedy.
jmar
12/2/2009 5:09am
Cygnus wrote:
I think the Aussie SX series will be more of a help than the MX season was for Reedy.
We have a winner.
Kinetic1
12/2/2009 5:17am
oldx wrote:
I hope it helped him, will make some better racing if it did. How good would it be if 5 guys could all be on the...
I hope it helped him, will make some better racing if it did. How good would it be if 5 guys could all be on the same lap at lap 20?
It would be like a wet dream if we could have 5 guys battling for the win every week. Even 3 would be a vast improvement. Can't wait for A1 to set the tone for the rest of the year.
WhKnuckle
12/2/2009 5:21am
oldx wrote:
I hope it helped him, will make some better racing if it did. How good would it be if 5 guys could all be on the...
Kinetic1 wrote:
It would be like a wet dream if we could have 5 guys battling for the win every week. Even 3 would be a vast improvement...
It would be like a wet dream if we could have 5 guys battling for the win every week. Even 3 would be a vast improvement. Can't wait for A1 to set the tone for the rest of the year.
Villo showed last year that he can bring a lot, but James is the clear favorite in my opinion. Stewart is the best rider ever - not as good of a RACER as RC, but the best rider of all time - and it's hard to see anyone just going out and beating him consistently.
toroP
12/2/2009 7:18am
Nikhil wrote:
It doesn't have to do with fitness, that's never been an issue for Reed. It's more about whether outdoors gave Reed the ability to pin it...
It doesn't have to do with fitness, that's never been an issue for Reed. It's more about whether outdoors gave Reed the ability to pin it through the rough sections where he couldn't before.
Check out any SX video you can. You'll see Reed excels on rough, rutted tracks. He struggles most on easier tracks where everyone is doing the same combinations. James can still separate himself from the pack on an easy track. To me this points to corner speed being a significant issue.

Post a reply to: Did MX help Reed for Sx?

The Latest