Did I make a mistake?

Edited Date/Time 7/5/2014 9:57am
I' ve been tossing some ideas around in my head about riding a dirt bike. I just started, maybe riding for a couple months, and everything just seems to go wrong for me. Don't get me wrong I LOVE riding!! But where I live the closest (Illegal...) place to ride is about 30 mins from my house. So my father needs to take me and I don't even have any friends that ride so I have to ride alone and he sits in the car and watches. I don't know any other spots to go and I just feel bad about wanting to do a sport that requires so much. I don't come from money and paying for gas to drive up to ride is a problem for my parents and my dad gets irritated every time I ask him if he can take me riding. I don't want to say riding is boring because it's not at all! But riding in the same sand pit every time, same routine and nobody to ride with is getting a little boring. I can't go riding at the local track because it's too far and too much money. What should I do? I thought about just letting this whole thing go but I love the sport and this keeps bumming me out. I'm suppose to go ride tomorrow but my father is all pissed at me again. Should I just quit?
|
1stSSPZ
7/4/2014 5:56pm
Yes, sadly it just does not seem to be in the cards for you at this stage of your life...as you get older you may be surprised how circumstances evolve!
Ing
7/4/2014 6:01pm
Who bought you the bike? If it was Dad I'd say he should have thought of this when he bought it. What did he want you to do look at it in the garage? First reply was correct, the facts may change dramatically in a year or so. How old are you?
7/4/2014 6:03pm
Ing wrote:
Who bought you the bike? If it was Dad I'd say he should have thought of this when he bought it. What did he want you...
Who bought you the bike? If it was Dad I'd say he should have thought of this when he bought it. What did he want you to do look at it in the garage? First reply was correct, the facts may change dramatically in a year or so. How old are you?
No I bought it. I worked my butt off to get the money to buy this bike. I just turned 17.

The Shop

rutsmash
7/4/2014 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2014 6:26pm
1stSSPZ wrote:
Yes, sadly it just does not seem to be in the cards for you at this stage of your life...as you get older you may be...
Yes, sadly it just does not seem to be in the cards for you at this stage of your life...as you get older you may be surprised how circumstances evolve!
If it doesn't work out for you now, I agree with the above. Go make a career for yourself and money and then come back on here and tell us a different story. I speak from experience.
fgb729
7/4/2014 6:28pm
Don't give up bud. I would suggest maybe using FB or even vital here to look for people in your area to ride with. If they have a truck or van big enough to pick you up even better. You said you worked your put off for your bike which is awesome, but now it seems you may have to do so for a truck. Look for a little pick up (toyota pickup, ford ranger, etc) to transport yourself. Riding with people will make it even more fun. Good luck to you and sorry your pops isn't too interested. Has he seen a race before? Maybe save up to go to a national it puts how awesome this sport is at an all time high. Again good luck brother
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/4/2014 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2014 7:17pm
I' ve been tossing some ideas around in my head about riding a dirt bike. I just started, maybe riding for a couple months, and everything...
I' ve been tossing some ideas around in my head about riding a dirt bike. I just started, maybe riding for a couple months, and everything just seems to go wrong for me. Don't get me wrong I LOVE riding!! But where I live the closest (Illegal...) place to ride is about 30 mins from my house. So my father needs to take me and I don't even have any friends that ride so I have to ride alone and he sits in the car and watches. I don't know any other spots to go and I just feel bad about wanting to do a sport that requires so much. I don't come from money and paying for gas to drive up to ride is a problem for my parents and my dad gets irritated every time I ask him if he can take me riding. I don't want to say riding is boring because it's not at all! But riding in the same sand pit every time, same routine and nobody to ride with is getting a little boring. I can't go riding at the local track because it's too far and too much money. What should I do? I thought about just letting this whole thing go but I love the sport and this keeps bumming me out. I'm suppose to go ride tomorrow but my father is all pissed at me again. Should I just quit?
I use to ride around a dirt oval in same vacant lot every day, did thousands of laps by myself and was never bored. I worn out a sears mini bike and a suzuki TC 90 going round and round. But in my mind I was racing with Dick Mann,Kenny Roberts,Gary Scott, Mike Kidd, Roger DeCoster, Jay Springsteen and Evel Knievel and whooped all their butts every day.
Mxdnusa
7/4/2014 7:23pm
I don't know if it's something you truly love I say stick with it. Your dad does it so he don't mind that much. Maybe he should think about getting a bike.

I've never checked this out so I can't vouch for it but I've seen it before.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com
Bultaco
7/4/2014 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2014 7:45pm
You did not make a mistake. But you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

- You wanted a dirt bike, worked your butt off, saved your $$$, and bought one. That is a big deal. I did the same when I was 16/17. My parents did not help with anything concerning me and dirt bikes. But I wanted one and I made it happen.

- Now with all the logistics of getting your bike to a riding area it seems like a hassle. And in a sense it is. In this day and age and where you live, riding is always going to be a hassle. In my humble opinion, being able to ride out of your driveway is the key. You don't say what bike you bought, but one of the dirt bikes (KDX, CRF250X, KTM EXC) that you can tag and ride on the street is your key to riding. Then you can explore the power line right a ways just across the border in NH, 4th and 5th class roads, etc etc.

- Even back in the early 70's when we had lots of places to go, one of my racing friends first bike was DT-1. Street legal, but a (at the time) dirt bike. He rode all over town, in the alleys, ditches, farm roads, et all. It was "riding" and he was having fun. The key is to be riding your motorcycle. You may have to compromise the bike or where, but being able to ride is the beginning.

You're doing good. Keep after it.
Gabriel J
7/4/2014 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2014 7:56pm
Massachusetts is not a good place for moto if you abide by the laws and don't have transportation....In fact it sucks ass. Doesn't mean you have to give up, but you may be stuck in your current routine for a bit before your options open up.

Mountain bikes aren't a replacement for riding a dirt bike, but they are great alternative....
dirtnapper
7/4/2014 9:17pm
1stSSPZ wrote:
Yes, sadly it just does not seem to be in the cards for you at this stage of your life...as you get older you may be...
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS NOOB!!

You didn't make a mistake. You saved up a bought your own bike - good for you! You may have to wait a while until you are a little more independent, but you are 17 years old - in no time you will be done with high school and be able to move on.

I was in the same situation - my dad HATED motorbikes and had absolutely nothing to do with me and dirtbikes. I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm so when I finally saved up enough and bought my first bike I could ride all the time. But it got much easier when I was 18 / 19, working full time, was able to buy an old truck, upgrade my bike, ride a lot more places.....

It will get better. DON'T sell your bike. Be patient, it may take a few years, but if you love moto like you say you do - IT WILL GET EASIER.

Good luck! Smile
vetmxr
7/4/2014 10:41pm
You have the same story as me except I grew up on a farm. Big difference. Do as much as you can with what you have and believe me, like others have said, grow your passion of this sport and grow into it as much as possible. When you get a little older your options will improve. I hope this sport stays healthy enough for you to enjoy it as much as I have over the years. A lot has changed in this sport but the fundamentals are still the same. I still get the same smile under my helmet as I did when I was 10. Moto is a lifestyle, it choses you as much as you chose it. Have fun and enjoy riding your dirt bike as much as possible.

Sean K
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
7/5/2014 5:27am
Do what you want kid. If you want it bad enough, you will continue to improve on your desire to ride through the means you used to get your bike and gear, hard work. I found it fun when I was your age to explore and find places to ride, you just now need your own ride to do that. Driving 30min to hours isn't a bad thing it quite normal for folks.

If you concentrate on the motorcycle and getting better wether is a simple figure 8 turn track down the street on a fire road to improve your turning technique or your local track, you will realize getting better and just spending time on the bike will be rewarding.

Mouse153
7/5/2014 7:32am
If you enjoy riding then do it when you can and don't worry about it. I know at 17 it seems like an all or nothing thing but try and be patient. The fact that your Dad takes you and waits/watches says a lot about how he's supporting you.
rpoint116
7/5/2014 7:48am
You need to do some networking & find a riding buddy(s).

Go to a local track & talk to everyone, tell them your story. True MX people are the most caring & giving. I'm sure someone or someone somebody knows can give you a lift. Find someone who just rides trails.

Hang a sign in the pits. Hang a index card at your local shop(s). Do a craigslist post.

Lots of MX people who have "made it" will be more than happy to help you out. If your tight on money offer to bring food or wash there cars, etc...

Good Luck.
RMRider1
7/5/2014 8:05am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2014 8:06am
I never had enough money as a kid (teens through twenties) to get a dirt bike. Was working then to pay for school. Focused on getting my degree, now have a stable job that fortunately allows me the money to enjoy this great sport now in my late 30's. Keep the bike, ride it when you can and be proud of the fact you worked to buy it. Focus on a career or school and enjoy riding when you can....
reded
7/5/2014 8:17am
When I was your age, riding dirtbikes was akin to a heroin junkie getting his fix. If you like it enough and want it bad enough you"ll find a way to get it. I made friends with people who rode and we would pile 4 people and bikes in one guys POS '77 Ford pickup. It wasn't glamorous but it got us where we wanted to be.

Once you can afford a vehicle a whole new world will open up and riding opportunities will be endless.
Rdubs19
7/5/2014 8:38am
It's tough when you're young and parents are fighting you in this sport. Get a cheap truck or car/trailer and you're golden. I gave up for most of high school, all of college and over a year after while I was getting on my feet. Horrible, painful, and depressing, and not worth all the beer and "cool" clothes I bought with the money I could've spent actually DOING something I loved. If nothing else, pick yourself up a used supermoto on the cheap and ride the wheels off that bastard until motocross is a more attainable pursuit for you.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/5/2014 8:42am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2014 8:43am
I grew up in MA and had a tough time getting into moto as well. I got a 50 when I was tiny then had to save up for my own bikes/gear after that. I was a dishwasher and had paper route :x
Anyway, i had it bit better as I could ride trails in the woods to 2 sandpits we had practice tracks at but that was really it. I made friends with a local expert and he'd take me to a few tracks as he had a trailer and everything.
It IS more fun if you're riding with buddies so hopefully you can find a few. Other sucky thing is development. My main practice track that was 10 min from my parents house is now a Walmart.
Good luck!
BUTCH
7/5/2014 9:19am
lostboy819 wrote:
I use to ride around a dirt oval in same vacant lot every day, did thousands of laps by myself and was never bored. I worn...
I use to ride around a dirt oval in same vacant lot every day, did thousands of laps by myself and was never bored. I worn out a sears mini bike and a suzuki TC 90 going round and round. But in my mind I was racing with Dick Mann,Kenny Roberts,Gary Scott, Mike Kidd, Roger DeCoster, Jay Springsteen and Evel Knievel and whooped all their butts every day.
Haa haa....I did the same thing! I even whip'd yer ass a time or two!Laughing
Trav138
7/5/2014 9:49am
No mistake made, you worked and were able to buy a bike. Now keep working buy a reliable vehicle to get you to a riding area. You will meet people and then it will all seem worth it. It may just take a little time but you are only 17.
7/5/2014 9:57am
Being able to ride out of the driveway to riding areas is not a reality for most any longer. Growing up in central California, we could ride miles of foothills, all the way to Tehachapi or head for the desert. When we made the move east, a prerequisite in our search for new living areas was having a place to ride from the house. As time marched on, areas were developed, and that luxury is not an option today.

I remember a riding park in northern Florida. Back in '73, my parents would bumper rack my Kawasaki 100 to the park, along with a five gallon can of gas, a small cooler, and drop me off for the day. I rode with many Navy guys who would rent bikes from the park, and would keep an eye on me. I was 10 years old.

Just memories from a different time.

I did whatever it took to ride. Be it a vacant lot, pay track or area, or even the back yard. This is our little backyard track, not much, but when we feel like messing around, it's there.

Post a reply to: Did I make a mistake?

The Latest