Did Damon Bradshaw throw the 92' title?

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2015 3:46am
I just listened to his classic podcast this weekend while mtn. biking and then Hannah part 2 thanks to pulpmx.

Bradshaw makes no excuses for losing that final race and title to Stanton, although he tore his acl the weekend before and the race was pushed back a month due to LA riots.

However, Steve and Hannah say that they wondered if he threw it because if he won his contract would automatically renew. He lost and resigned for a longer bigger deal. We all know how that worked out.

I can't believe that theory to be true. I think he tried to win but it just didn't happen for him. If you care to think back to that time, what do you think about it?
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/20/2015 9:44pm
The people who think anyone would throw a MX title on purpose must not have ever raced.
The Rock
7/20/2015 9:45pm
Anything is possible but ask yourself the question: Would you rather have your first 250 SX championship or a longer deal? I ran into Damon at the Portland Airport the day of this last Yamaha photo shoot at Washougal and took him into the Delta Crown Room. Didn't chat that long but he sure seemed smarter than to throw away a title for a two year or longer deal.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
7/20/2015 9:51pm
No, he hurt his knee again in morning practice that day because the track was extremely slippery. The contract wouldn't have been automatically renewed for the same amount, if he won the title, he wouldve had a guarenteed contract but it still wouldv'e been negotiable.

He didn't lose that title in LA, he lost it at Indy or Vegas, take your pick. Vegas that year was his biggest regret.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/21/2015 12:41am
The thing about having the number 1 on your bike is that it does not matter if you have all the money in the world you cant buy it and only a very few will ever earn it and that is why its so valuable.

The Shop

Question
7/21/2015 2:31am
UpTiTe wrote:
No, he hurt his knee again in morning practice that day because the track was extremely slippery. The contract wouldn't have been automatically renewed for the...
No, he hurt his knee again in morning practice that day because the track was extremely slippery. The contract wouldn't have been automatically renewed for the same amount, if he won the title, he wouldve had a guarenteed contract but it still wouldv'e been negotiable.

He didn't lose that title in LA, he lost it at Indy or Vegas, take your pick. Vegas that year was his biggest regret.

I agree with you. I had the opportunity to watch this epic season only a few years ago, probably thanks to Mr. Blazier (big props are where they deserve to be), and indeed Vegas was a disaster for Bradshaw.

The incidents that race with Matiasevich were from another era ! The comment in the semi from Chicken is one of the top 5-10 most epic interviews and what put Bradshaw in fury for the main, after already a lot of history between those 2 (I would love the watch the big crash they had together in SX in 19881989 I think, not the one from Bercy, who like Windham on DV or RV on Alessi would rank among the top 5-10 take outs!).

Last but not least, I think JMB could have won the title, he was leading the championship with 3 or 4 races to go, but he crashed (with the help of Stanton) in San Jose. Not that it is important now, but it is just to say the same thing another poster wrote in this thread, which was something like that "racers/champions are never there to finish 2nd". We read a lot that JMB was like on holidays for his last season, but actually I think JMB was really motivated for the SX title, maybe he was just more confident and so more relax (after sweeping all the titles the year before). Not that it is important either, but JMB is for the French like god on 2 wheels ! Smile
7/21/2015 3:18am
If Bradshaw would've thrown the title wouldn't he have also raced more than '93 a single additional season collecting a big time pay check in '94 and beyond? He sure didn't seem to have any sense of urgency during the '92 finale though, so I guess watching it which u must do if haven't watched recently I can see how the throwing the title theory may come up as everyone tries to understand what the heck happened. It didn't seem like it was his knee... That was a tough one to this day, I was a teen when he lost the title to Stanton..
jock
Fantasy
1st
7/21/2015 3:38am
Gibby needs to get the Beast on for the QNA. Settle this shit.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/21/2015 4:06am
lostboy819 wrote:
The people who think anyone would throw a MX title on purpose must not have ever raced.
So I guess Bob Hannah never raced. He said he didn't think so either but wasn't willing to bet a lot of money on it.

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/21/2015 4:08am
jock wrote:
Gibby needs to get the Beast on for the QNA. Settle this shit.
I wouldn't be willing to ask him about this conspiracy theory, I think either his stare or verbal response would lead to certain death...
7/21/2015 4:10am
lostboy819 wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
So I guess Bob Hannah never raced. He said he didn't think so either but wasn't willing to bet a lot of money on it.

you'll find that lostboy's role here is telling everyone they don't race. From Damon, to Hurricane... that fucking squid MC, poser ass with those 1-800-collect graphics on his Honda. You. Me. Obiwan Kenobi. No one races.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/21/2015 4:14am
UpTiTe wrote:
No, he hurt his knee again in morning practice that day because the track was extremely slippery. The contract wouldn't have been automatically renewed for the...

Damon rode with so much heart and aggression especially that year, definitely win or die trying except for the final.

He was awesome and so was that season.
7/21/2015 4:24am
UpTiTe wrote:

Ramrod wrote:
Damon rode with so much heart and aggression especially that year, definitely win or die trying except for the final. He was awesome and so was...
Damon rode with so much heart and aggression especially that year, definitely win or die trying except for the final.

He was awesome and so was that season.
I'll never forget that bowl turn. It had and inside and outside berm in the same turn. Damon jumps off the first berm, lands on Chicken straight T-bone in the outside berm. Could've went by him clean on the inside, but this was the 90s haha

His pass on Hughes at Washougal 95 is still the prettiest pass I've ever seen though.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/21/2015 4:35am
I'll never forget that bowl turn. It had and inside and outside berm in the same turn. Damon jumps off the first berm, lands on Chicken...
I'll never forget that bowl turn. It had and inside and outside berm in the same turn. Damon jumps off the first berm, lands on Chicken straight T-bone in the outside berm. Could've went by him clean on the inside, but this was the 90s haha

His pass on Hughes at Washougal 95 is still the prettiest pass I've ever seen though.
Care to look it up and post a clip of this pass?

I've seen the bowl turn pass, he kinda lost his mind there for a few seconds haha.
nytsmaC
7/21/2015 4:50am
Is the Washougal pass you're referring to when he railed the outside of the S-turn? That one really blew my mind. Real next level shit!
7/21/2015 5:02am
nytsmaC wrote:
Is the Washougal pass you're referring to when he railed the outside of the S-turn? That one really blew my mind. Real next level shit!
That's the one, i'll see if i can find it.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
7/21/2015 5:49am
Nobody had style like Bradshaw...at that time. I think his downfall was motivation, similar to what RV battled, but maybe worse.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
7/21/2015 6:21am
JMB tried to stay behind Bradshaw because he didn't want Stanton to win the championship .. but said Bradshaw was going so slow in the main event that he didnt have a choice but to go around him
Question
7/21/2015 6:46am

Bradshaw was quite unique, I do not see any rider like that since, although RV and Bam Bam are representing well this legend. There are a few riders that should be broadcast full time in MX schools and Bradshaw is one of those.

Here is a nice sample !

7/21/2015 6:50am
Question wrote:
Bradshaw was quite unique, I do not see any rider like that since, although RV and Bam Bam are representing well this legend. There are a...

Bradshaw was quite unique, I do not see any rider like that since, although RV and Bam Bam are representing well this legend. There are a few riders that should be broadcast full time in MX schools and Bradshaw is one of those.

Here is a nice sample !

Webb, 100%. They're even from the same area.
Question
7/21/2015 6:50am

A little reputation tip to never get a block pass anymore !

Frodad78
7/21/2015 6:53am
It was 96. I'm going to try and make a .gif file... watch the whip at :20

https://youtu.be/NnwIprFq6dA
That was awesome, Ryno was shocked to see Damon there!

I love how the factory YZs looked that year. I know the dark navy blue plastic would look like shit after a fall with stress marks but its my favorite year YZ for sure. I even had the factory kit for my 125. Light blue stress marks everywhere! haha
Question
7/21/2015 7:02am

As I see Washougal, I think Miami 89 was amazing too, among many other races he did !

robkinuk
7/21/2015 7:19am
Question wrote:

A little reputation tip to never get a block pass anymore !

Funny I'd forgotten about doing the voic-eover on that video of Bercy Supercross, with Kenny Kay, we sold through my company Stadium Video Europe Ltd.
Racerx930
7/21/2015 7:23am
A good friend who was in that race that day told me a story. He told me everyone pretty much hated Bradshaw that raced with him. He told me that he went up to Stanton on the start and said "Don't worry, if I get the start on Bradshaw there is NO chance I let him around me".
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/21/2015 7:48am
I guess he had a lot of things not going for him leading up to that race.

1. knee injury
2. the race was pushed back a month
3. pressure
4. half the field wanted Stanton to win except JMB
5. maybe his contract situation (but I doubt it imo)
6. deep field - even at 80% of his speed wasn't going to be enough to top 3 in that main event

BTW, I'm not trying to tear him down by posting this thread. The guy was unreal and would probably do a burnout on our faces for even talking about him...
YZ125H1
7/21/2015 9:41am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2015 9:42am
I wonder how he would have finished on a factory backed cr500 or kx500. Instead of the trail bike with a works suspension Yamaha made him race. Dude had a lot of talent for how young he was at the time.
7/21/2015 9:44am
YZ125H1 wrote:
I wonder how he would have finished on a factory backed cr500 or kx500. Instead of the trail bike with a works suspension Yamaha made him...
I wonder how he would have finished on a factory backed cr500 or kx500. Instead of the trail bike with a works suspension Yamaha made him race. Dude had a lot of talent for how young he was at the time.
He'd have waxed all their asses on the YZ360 Ohlins cylinder kit that Yamaha used the following year.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/21/2015 10:37am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2015 10:43am
lostboy819 wrote:
Ramrod wrote:

Unfortunately Bob Hannah likes saying outrageous stuff just to ruffle feathers, look how hard Hannah took it when he had to pull over for Broc in a 125 moto that Bob wasn't even in the series points, but then he says Bradshaw may have thrown a series. BULLSHIT !!! Hannah contradicts himself quite a bit and I don't even like Bradshaw. Hannah is one of my all time favorite riders buts hes a grade A shit talker.

Post a reply to: Did Damon Bradshaw throw the 92' title?

The Latest