Detroit whoop section WALL...

nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2016 8:30am
Now, I've said on countless topics how dumb these walls are. And now I'm saying it again. They could've had the longest and toughest section of whoops that we've seen since the 2012 San Diego whoops section. But NO, they go and put a DUMB wall in the middle of a perfectly good section.

GET RID OF THE WALLS!

Anyone agree?

San Diego vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaYITcCejc
|
sostoked
3/17/2016 9:45pm
But how do you really feel about them?
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/17/2016 9:47pm
sostoked wrote:
But how do you really feel about them?
HAHAHA man i love Vital. Seriously you guys have some of the witty-est comments. Yeah dude seriously, I hate them way too much.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
3/17/2016 9:57pm
Maybe Cause if there wasn't a wall half way through the C practice wouldn't be able to turn lap times within 15 seconds of the fast qualifier and they might have to face the reality of a real job and stop paying the $250 entry fees every week.

Or it's cause of "safety".

Or cause Reed and Bubba would win every race because of their old school whoop speed.

A full straight of big whoops is needed at least several times a year (17 times)
3/17/2016 10:17pm
Me watching the video: "Oh, is this the race where James cras... oh, yeah..."

The Shop

3/17/2016 10:23pm
4th gear in whoops, hit the wall, smoke the clutch just to get speed for second set of whoops... I can't imagine clutch companies like the walls in the middle of the whoops either
Crush
3/17/2016 10:45pm
Yep. Shithouse.
JBernard_401
3/17/2016 10:51pm
digging the wall. riders with different techniques can gain or loose time over it. therefore it adds to passing opportunities and better racing.
MX Culture
3/18/2016 3:46am
There was a wall in the whoops at Omaha arenacross 2 weeks ago and it threw a wrench into it. I liked it.
Crush
3/18/2016 4:18am
We've had a bunch of walls in or before whoop sections. Hows about a big long section of big whoops.. we've had one.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2858th
3/18/2016 5:05am
4th gear in whoops, hit the wall, smoke the clutch just to get speed for second set of whoops... I can't imagine clutch companies like the...
4th gear in whoops, hit the wall, smoke the clutch just to get speed for second set of whoops... I can't imagine clutch companies like the walls in the middle of the whoops either
Wow! Proud to see an actual racer posting around here! Good ride last weekend and hoping this week only gets better!

Oh and on the walls, I don't mind the walls but put them somewhere besides the middle of the whoops, and make them monsterous!
Mx286
3/18/2016 5:45am
I'm not a fan of the wall either. Throws the whole entire flow off.
Socia
Fantasy
2264th
3/18/2016 6:23am
How bout a compromise? Twenty walls in a row?
Just give us a few ditches.
vikingBoy
3/18/2016 7:09am
Or you could just use the wall the way cooper does at Pontiac here @ 2:57

Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
3/18/2016 7:10am
I have two major issues with it.

1) How often do you see passes in long whoops sections? (often) How often do you see passes on wall jumps? (uhhhh, pretty rare unless you count the "Oh he pulled along side" as one guy goes over the wall and the gap goes right back to 2 seconds)

2) The wall in the whoops in particular absolutely PUNISHES the guy who goes fast through the whoops and he is then either braking to slow down in the whoops (sketch and giving back the time he just gained) or practically breaking the guy who is fast in the whoops' wrists every time he smashes into the thing twice as fast and hard as the guy putsing about through the whoops.

Okay, I lied, 3 issues.

3) More passing happens down long straights where you can get a run on someone out of the corner, carry more speed down the straight and have them either passed or setup before the next corner. The wall jump acts as a corner and resets that run that you just had. With 4 strokes those straights have to be a bit longer because the difference in run you get is a bit less most times, so cutting a long straight in half sucks as well on a SX track where the struggle to get enough long lanes is always an issue.

By the way, I'm vet eligible, loved early 90s SX with tons of walls but hate them in most circumstances in modern day SX.
slowgti
3/18/2016 7:29am
The walls worked better with 2 strokes. You had to have a lot more skill to slow down, hit the wall and then get enough speed to blitz the second set of whoops.

It seems like they are trying to average out the lap times between all the tracks. That would make sense from a tv perspective. The ball and stick games have a pretty solid time format that makes it easy to schedule for tv.
beavesmx_44
3/18/2016 7:34am
I have two major issues with it. 1) How often do you see passes in long whoops sections? (often) How often do you see passes on...
I have two major issues with it.

1) How often do you see passes in long whoops sections? (often) How often do you see passes on wall jumps? (uhhhh, pretty rare unless you count the "Oh he pulled along side" as one guy goes over the wall and the gap goes right back to 2 seconds)

2) The wall in the whoops in particular absolutely PUNISHES the guy who goes fast through the whoops and he is then either braking to slow down in the whoops (sketch and giving back the time he just gained) or practically breaking the guy who is fast in the whoops' wrists every time he smashes into the thing twice as fast and hard as the guy putsing about through the whoops.

Okay, I lied, 3 issues.

3) More passing happens down long straights where you can get a run on someone out of the corner, carry more speed down the straight and have them either passed or setup before the next corner. The wall jump acts as a corner and resets that run that you just had. With 4 strokes those straights have to be a bit longer because the difference in run you get is a bit less most times, so cutting a long straight in half sucks as well on a SX track where the struggle to get enough long lanes is always an issue.

By the way, I'm vet eligible, loved early 90s SX with tons of walls but hate them in most circumstances in modern day SX.
Agree with all of this. We have supposedly the best supercross track builders in the world and the wall is the best they can do. Time for something new. We need tracks without walls and multiple lines in almost every corner. The rhythm sections are so standard everyone does them the same way. Make it so one way through isn't the only fast line. They play follow the leader and hope for a mistake. Why have the whoops been so much smaller the last few years anyways? A few have been deep but they used to be way more challenging.
Dezerted
3/18/2016 9:02am
Will someone post The Detroit track so we can see what all this wall fuss is about?
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/18/2016 9:13am
Dezerted wrote:
Will someone post The Detroit track so we can see what all this wall fuss is about?
https://youtu.be/XfLL_3cbiZA

I think they are actually trying to make the whoops sections safer by making them shorter like last weeks 2 short section or this wall seperation
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/18/2016 9:25am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 9:57am
It really does hurt all the fast guys in the whoops. A1 had 1 good long whoop section this year and that was it. They need to make a whoop section the length of the stadium like they used to. They always had 20+ whoops in whoops sections until the 4 strokes came along. Look at A1 2004 first whoop section was HUGE and fast.
DoctorJD
3/18/2016 9:59am
There's got to be a better way to slow the track down than wall jumps, but something needs to be done to increase the lap times in these football stadiums. I think the fast lap in Atlanta was something like 45 seconds. That makes for a 15 minute main event. Really? The fans should be compensated for the lack of track time by giving them 25% of their ticket price back because they basically only got to see 25% of a race. Why, for the love of all things precious, can't we go to a timed main. 20 minutes plus two laps. Is that too much to ask?
jeffro503
3/18/2016 10:13am

Well , the good news is , if they build 4 of them and a roof....they could build a cool little house. They could pull over for a short break , maybe grab some coffee and a cig?

Post a reply to: Detroit whoop section WALL...

The Latest